20181110_234859 (resized).jpg
20190526_100944 (resized).jpg
20190804_125354 (resized).jpg
20190818_122148 (resized).jpg
cats chillin (resized).jpg
BD1229D3-7E52-4013-ABF7-0A24A3F74957 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190822_151341949 (resized).jpg
20190820_105026.jpg
There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 4 years ago

Looking for help in re-homing my 2 cats.

I find myself in this situation, due to my girlfriend being allergic to them. We are looking to move in together.

They are brother & sister and 7 years old. I refuse to split them up and I also refuse to put them with the local SPCA or Petco. I just couldn't do that to them.

If anyone is looking to adopt 2 cats or know anyone, please contact me. I have some friends at home that have put the word out to cat lovers, but nothing yet.

They are very loving and playful. I would love to see a family adopt them, where they will have much more human contact then they have had with me, due to me living alone and working 60+ hour weeks.

IMG_4255 (resized).jpgIMG_4255 (resized).jpgIMG_4267 (resized).jpgIMG_4267 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

I just came across this article earlier today...

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2019/08/16/vaccine-cat-allergies-developed-swiss-scientists/

It’s a few years off though. Good luck with your search!

#3 4 years ago

Get rid of the girlfriend and keep the cats!

#4 4 years ago

They are beautiful, I’m sure they will find a good home!

#5 4 years ago

Wish you were closer (not kidding)!

#6 4 years ago

My friend got 2 cats and his wife was immediately allergic to them. He picked up an IQair Healthpro plus and she has not had any problems since. My wife is allegic to cats as well and I am picking up 2 kittens next month so I am buying 2 of these just to make sure.

#7 4 years ago

They are adorable! I would take them if I didn’t already have 5.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Jenniebear:

Get rid of the girlfriend and keep the cats!

Definitely my thoughts. Go Mgtow.

#9 4 years ago

Bingo.

Keep cats. They have been there for years. Get gf to suck it up if she loves u.

#10 4 years ago

Try the next door app, it's good with re-homing gfs.

#11 4 years ago

#TeamCat

#12 4 years ago

We’ve been trying to place my friend’s 3 year old beagle to no avail.

I’d recommend a couple of Rabbit air cleaners and a bottle of Zyrtec.

#13 4 years ago

Ya rehome the gf, keep the cats.

#14 4 years ago

Good luck finding a new home for your kitties! The girlfriend better be worth it.

#15 4 years ago

I'm actually looking for a barn cat. My wife's also allergic to cats, so it wont be allowed in the house, but our detached garage has a mouse and rat problem that I dont want to use poison to control. I'm going to find a nice big tomcat and make it a nice spot in the garage. Our neighborhood has a 2 other outdoor cats that live half a block away on either side, so I'll have to get him fixed. I finally got my wife to agree to a cat as long as she doesn't have to deal with it. We haven't told my daughter yet, and she'll be ecstatic when she finds out. They're plenty of farms local to us with free cats to a good home, so I dont need to import yours.

Good luck with finding a home for these two.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I'm actually looking for a barn cat. My wife's also allergic to cats, so it wont be allowed in the house, but our detached garage has a mouse and rat problem that I dont want to use poison to control. I'm going to find a nice big tomcat and make it a nice spot in the garage. Our neighborhood has a 2 other outdoor cats that live half a block away on either side, so I'll have to get him fixed. I finally got my wife to agree to a cat as long as she doesn't have to deal with it. We haven't told my daughter yet, and she'll be ecstatic when she finds out. They're plenty of farms local to us with free cats to a good home, so I dont need to import yours.
Good luck with finding a home for these two.

They wouldn’t know how to hunt. They strictly indoor cats.

#17 4 years ago

This story breaks my heart. I could never part with one of my 3 cats or dog. Hope you can find another solution.
First the cats, then the pins, your favorite blanket, the bong....just a down hill slide from here.

#18 4 years ago

Not a woman alive I would give up my cats for

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

My friend got 2 cats and his wife was immediately allergic to them. He picked up an IQair Healthpro plus and she has not had any problems since. My wife is allegic to cats as well and I am picking up 2 kittens next month so I am buying 2 of these just to make sure.

+1
This really works

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Not a woman alive I would give up my cats for

You need to meet more women.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

They wouldn’t know how to hunt. They strictly indoor cats.

You'll be suprised. All cats are hunters.
Like others have said...lose the girl,not the cats!

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

You'll be suprised. All cats are hunters.
Like others have said...lose the girl,not the cats!

They never hunted in their life. I took them home when they were 6 weeks old.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

They never hunted in their life. I took them home when they were 6 weeks old.

Any time they play, they are exercising their hunting instincts. I'm sure they can figure out what to do.

Years ago, I had what was basically an indoor cat, and he would still manage to catch things and leave them as presents.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Looking for help in re-homing my 2 cats.
I find myself in this situation, due to my girlfriend being allergic to them. We are looking to move in together.

When I had a cat, I don't think I could bear to give him away if someone asked me to. Contrary to what some people say about cats being aloof, they can be really great companions with interesting personalities, and they are capable of lots of affection.

I can't imagine how difficult this situation must be for you.

Is the girlfriend a pet owner or has ever been a pet owner? I can't imagine asking someone else to give up their pet knowing how much my pets have meant to me.

There are medications available for both the cats and people who are allergic. From what I've observed, most pet allergies are fairly mild and don't take much to mitigate. That might not always be the case, but again, that has just been my first-hand experience with others who have directly described their symptoms.

Keep in mind that if you don't find a compromise that involves keeping the cats, the likelihood of ever having pets again with this individual might be very small. Personally, being a cat person, I'm not sure if I would be able to give up something like that.

[edit]: This is apparently not the case.

#25 4 years ago

Long after your girlfriend is gone you'll wish you had the cats back.

LTG : )

#26 4 years ago

Important things first...

What’s their favorite pin? I do have a Batman catwoman edition.

I’d love to adopt them, but sadly my wife is also allergic. She wants a dog, but we seem to want different things. Luckily we’re pizza compatible, otherwise we would be screwed.

#27 4 years ago

She(GF) can get immunotherapy to decrease/eliminate the cat allergy. Basically, a small shot in the arm every couple weeks containing weakened versions of her allergens. She'll likely see big improvement in a couple months--basically no symptoms.

https://acaai.org/allergies/allergy-treatment/allergy-immunotherapy

#28 4 years ago

My polydactyl Cat Ouija gives a thumbs up to getting rid of the GF and keeping the cats.
ouija giving thumbs up (resized).jpgouija giving thumbs up (resized).jpg

#29 4 years ago

Cold blooded man

#30 4 years ago

Are you 10000% positive you will be married to his woman??? If there is a shred of doubt, do not give the cats up.

#31 4 years ago

When most relationships fail anyways I think you should keep your cats and their home.

#32 4 years ago

Can you maybe isolate your girlfriend to a couple of rooms in the house and keep the cats away from those rooms?

#33 4 years ago

She needs to deal with her allergies....family pets are for life.

#34 4 years ago

Look, I had severe cat allergies all my life. I mean sneezing, wheezing, itchies, everything. Then for some reason I fell in love with a kitten. I took it home, and got all the same symptoms, but I dealt with it. After a couple of weeks I noticed the symptoms improving, a couple months later I was fine. People can and do acclimate to allergens. If it doesn’t kill her right out, she will adapt. Get benedryl, get an air purifier, get an epi pen if you feel you must, by all means. But I’m telling you, she will get used to it in time.

15CF1DCC-E346-4C12-B3B0-B35853EA43FC (resized).jpeg15CF1DCC-E346-4C12-B3B0-B35853EA43FC (resized).jpeg
#35 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Long after your girlfriend is gone you'll wish you had the cats back.
LTG : )

I second this. How shitty will you feel when you and your gf break up and you just want your cats back?

#36 4 years ago

I'd never trade down from 2 pussies.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

She needs to deal with her allergies....family pets are for life.

I disagree.

When I was a young kid, maybe around 5, we adopted a 4 year old collie from a local family. They couldn't properly care for him anymore and we took him in. I still remember how he tried to run back home when we first got him. Very quickly, he became a part of the family. When I was 14, we had to put him down. I cried my eyes out.

When I was 13, we adopted a 1 year old cocker spaniel. It was a single guy, who just didn't have enough time for the dog. So we took her in. Same thing happened, she became a part of the family rather quickly. The collie did get jealous of the attention she got, but they never fought or anything like that. When I was 24 and we had to put her down, I cried my eyes out.

But back to my current situation, I currently have 2 different wardrobes. 1 where I'll let the cats near me and 1 where I don't let them near me. I get changed in my closet, then run out of the house as fast as I can, to not get any dander on me. She is very highly allergic.

To defend her, she did not ask me to get rid of them. This is 100% my decision. I don't want to lock them in a bedroom 24/7. I swear, my cats are part dog...they follow me everywhere. When I leave in the morning, they are in the window watching me. When I come home, they watch me in the window, then run to the door. When I get ready in the morning, they sit outside the bathroom door waiting for me. When I play pinball, they wait outside the pinball room for me to get done. They follow me from room to room. I also think it's unfair that I'm never around. My everyday routine is leave for work at 7am, get home 9pm, eat dinner and head to bed. They deserve much more human contact. When I'm trying to sleep, they just want to play.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I disagree.
When I was a young kid, maybe around 5, we adopted a 4 year old collie from a local family. They couldn't properly care for him anymore and we took him in. I still remember how he tried to run back home when we first got him. Very quickly, he became a part of the family. When I was 14, we had to put him down. I cried my eyes out.
When I was 13, we adopted a 1 year old cocker spaniel. It was a single guy, who just didn't have enough time for the dog. So we took her in. Same thing happened, she became a part of the family rather quickly. The collie did get jealous of the attention she got, but they never fought or anything like that. When I was 24 and we had to put her down, I cried my eyes out.
But back to my current situation, I currently have 2 different wardrobes. 1 where I'll let the cats near me and 1 where I don't let them near me. I get changed in my closet, then run out of the house as fast as I can, to not get any dander on me. She is very highly allergic.
To defend her, she did not ask me to get rid of them. This is 100% my decision. I don't want to lock them in a bedroom 24/7. I swear, my cats are part dog...they follow me everywhere. When I leave in the morning, they are in the window watching me. When I come home, they watch me in the window, then run to the door. When I get ready in the morning, they sit outside the bathroom door waiting for me. When I play pinball, they wait outside the pinball room for me to get done. They follow me from room to room. I also think it's unfair that I'm never around. My everyday routine is leave for work at 7am, get home 9pm, eat dinner and head to bed. They deserve much more human contact. When I'm trying to sleep, they just want to play.

We outlive our pets and all must suffer that loss.....you cried because you cherished them. There is nothing wrong with that.
I’m just saying when you take on a pet as a member of the family...you chose to care for him/her for their entire life.
People don’t give away their children because they start driving them crazy

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

This story breaks my heart. I could never part with one of my 3 cats or dog. Hope you can find another solution.
First the cats, then the pins, your favorite blanket, the bong....just a down hill slide from here.

Some men only think with the smaller head. Wait until she’s gone and the cats are gone too. Get red pilled dude.

#40 4 years ago

Those cats are competition for your attention thus the "allergies" and they must go. If it was 2 parakeets the same would probably happen. On a side note Ive purchased DOZENS of pinball machines over the last 30 years from situations in which the other spouse wanted them gone for whatever reason (probably attention) This is always in the beginning of a relationship,marriage etc. Sometimes those same people are looking for the same pinball machines after the split years later. Please rethink your decision if they are important to you. Have her seek treatment and work together to help her allergies. Dont give in. If she truly cares she will understand.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Those cats are competition for your attention thus the "allergies" and they must go. If it was 2 parakeets the same would probably happen. On a side note Ive purchased DOZENS of pinball machines over the last 30 years from situations in which the other spouse wanted them gone for whatever reason (probably attention) This is always in the beginning of a relationship,marriage etc. Sometimes those same people are looking for the same pinball machines after the split years later. Please rethink your decision if they are important to you. Have her seek treatment and work together to help her allergies. Dont give in. If she truly cares she will understand.

I would highly recommend rethinking your secision.

#42 4 years ago
564EFFCF-301F-4929-BB69-526C4D607F0E (resized).jpeg564EFFCF-301F-4929-BB69-526C4D607F0E (resized).jpeg
#44 4 years ago

I'd help out, but my cat has taken 13 years to go from ferrel to near perfect. I can't chance it.

I wish you luck though, and applaud you not just sending them to the SPCA. You'd be the animal then!

#45 4 years ago
cat at attack (resized).pngcat at attack (resized).png
#46 4 years ago

#teamcat

#47 4 years ago

Honestly it doesn't seem like you even have the proper time to put into a relationship. Relationships take a lot of time and work. Your schedule sounds like you would be a perfect roommate. You pay half or more of everything because maybe you make more than her and your never home your at work.

#48 4 years ago

Go team cat!

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Honestly it doesn't seem like you even have the proper time to put into a relationship. Relationships take a lot of time and work. Your schedule sounds like you would be a perfect roommate. You pay half or more of everything because maybe you make more than her and your never home your at work.

This is a good point! Will he have enough time for the new GF either?

#50 4 years ago

#teamcat

00DEE253-6359-4543-B6C8-EDFC793E91C4 (resized).png00DEE253-6359-4543-B6C8-EDFC793E91C4 (resized).png
There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-help-re-homing-my-2-cats?hl=stuliss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.