20181110_234859 (resized).jpg
20190526_100944 (resized).jpg
20190804_125354 (resized).jpg
20190818_122148 (resized).jpg
cats chillin (resized).jpg
BD1229D3-7E52-4013-ABF7-0A24A3F74957 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190822_151341949 (resized).jpg
20190820_105026.jpg
There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 4 years ago

Rehome gf.

You’ll be sick of
Her shit in just a few months anyways and you’ll regret dumping your buddies.

#52 4 years ago

Reading this when cat jumps in my lap...

#53 4 years ago

Keep your pets. The girlfriend has many options she can try in order to get her allergies under control.

#54 4 years ago

When I was a kid, I was allergic to dogs. But I wanted a dog. Got a dog, was allergic for a bit and then after awhile the symptoms went away. Now I have three dogs in my family.

Same thing with cats. Wife (girlfriend at the time) had two cats. I’m super allergic to them and might I add, not even a cat person. Now as I’m writing this I have a cat sitting on my shoulder for some unknown reason.

Point is, allergies subside over time. And their are medications to help. And I’d never give up my family...my pets for anyone. Also, air purifiers and filters help immensely.

#55 4 years ago

I have to agree with everyone else, keep the cats! There are many options: air filters, medications, room restrictions, shaving them down...and I honestly believe that she’ll adapt after awhile.

We have a guest in our home often, that’s allergic. First few times, he was in bad shape. We put an air filter into the room he hangs out in the most - a room where two cats spend a lot of time - and over a period of weeks his symptoms subsided. Months later, it’s not even an issue.

YMMV, but guys have been putting up with their girlfriends cats with their allergies since the beginning of recorded time. I think she owes it to you and your cats to try.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

When I was a kid, I was allergic to dogs.

TLDR: #TeamCat

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Honestly it doesn't seem like you even have the proper time to put into a relationship. Relationships take a lot of time and work. Your schedule sounds like you would be a perfect roommate. You pay half or more of everything because maybe you make more than her and your never home your at work.

Good point.

When you have to re-home the GF. Post a picture of her now. Maybe you'll get some offers for later.

LTG : )

#58 4 years ago

This is my Cosmo my wife's favorite cat. He sleeps with us every night. She is allergic to cats, especially him. Love will find a way, who do you love?

20190805_183732 (resized).jpg20190805_183732 (resized).jpg
#59 4 years ago

Do the right thing here. When you decide to get pets it should be a lifetime commitment.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

they follow me everywhere. When I leave in the morning, they are in the window watching me. When I come home, they watch me in the window, then run to the door. When I get ready in the morning, they sit outside the bathroom door waiting for me. When I play pinball, they wait outside the pinball room for me to get done. They follow me from room to room.

Dude, my cat sucks and I still wouldnt get rid of her. Your cats sound awesome, and they must really love you.

#teamcats

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

they follow me everywhere. When I leave in the morning, they are in the window watching me. When I come home, they watch me in the window, then run to the door. When I get ready in the morning, they sit outside the bathroom door waiting for me. When I play pinball, they wait outside the pinball room for me to get done. They follow me from room to room.

Those are all reasons to keep them. They're attached to you, abandoning them to strangers is going to be very stressful for them

Unless they mean absolutely nothing to you, keep them. Don't worry about the time you're home, it's not like they're dogs and require constant attention.

#62 4 years ago

I think OP is doing what he needs to do. The cats will adjust to their new home - it might take a few weeks but it will happen.

From what I am reading him post here it isn't just about the girlfriend it is about realizing these animals need more love than he can provide at this point in life. I can't fault him for trying to do what he thinks is best for his relationship or for the animals. I wish we could help but with our travel schedule we just can't have pets at this time. Someone should adopt these from him and give them a great home.

Cats make the best pets because you never have to walk them in the rain & snow. I am an animal lover & enjoy both dogs & cats but cats are much easier in my eyes. And cats don't bark!

#63 4 years ago

IMO, Any woman that would think its okay for you to give up your cats isn't worth having around.

#64 4 years ago

Just look at the pictures you posted.You can't give that up.They need you.Try Benadryl it works for whatever allergy I have that can't be diagnosed.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

Try Benadryl it works for whatever allergy I have that can't be diagnosed.

Allergies can be severe and exposure to full power cat dander could be brutal for months and possibly never get better even with OTC meds.
Immunotherapy works 80-90% of the time. It's relatively easy, covered by most insurance.

That said, dude also said he's too busy for his cats basically and feels guilty leaving them alone so I think they're history.

#66 4 years ago

Cats suck

#67 4 years ago

Shitty attitude dude.

#68 4 years ago

Actually it is some people who suck! Animals are great and I like most pets better than most people I know.

#69 4 years ago

this has nothing to do with the OP's girlfriend's allergies, it has to do with the OP. so let's all just stop trying to convince the OP that she can get over them (which she can).
the reality is you wanted them when you adopted them, and now you don't anymore. and she's a convenient reason to make it seem like you didn't give up on them for love. just please for your own well being, before you take another single step, think VERY carefully about 2 things...
1)how difficult it is to get someone to take those 2 cats off your hands.
2)how much more difficult it will be to give up the wrong woman.

anyways, i vote keep them. they're your kids.

#70 4 years ago

Accepting responsibility for another living soul is a lifetime commitment.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Shitty attitude dude.

No, it’s cats who have a shitty attitude. I’ll take a dog any day

#72 4 years ago
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#73 4 years ago

Always keep your pets. Get rid of her and find a new one that’s not allergic.

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

My everyday routine is leave for work at 7am, get home 9pm, eat dinner and head to bed

Work less

#75 4 years ago

The cats are trying to save you from having to get rid of all those LE's and nice car.

#76 4 years ago

When you adopt pets, whether it is a dog, cat or a goldfish, it is a lifetime commitment. They are middle aged and may be harder to adopt out than young kittens. It isn't fair to them, they didn't do anything wrong.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

No, it’s cats who have a shitty attitude. I’ll take a dog any day

So just say you prefer dogs and leave it at that, don’t be a dick.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

So just say you prefer dogs and leave it at that, don’t be a dick.

It’s cats who are dicks

#79 4 years ago

Cat fight

#80 4 years ago
97b6e581e74c35f874ffb7c84b94544f (resized).jpg97b6e581e74c35f874ffb7c84b94544f (resized).jpg
#81 4 years ago

I hate cats!
BUT
I would keep them over a girlfriend any day. Girlfriends are only good for one thing.
MGTOW baby

#82 4 years ago

Gotta know what your deal-breakers are and lead with that when attracting new mates...
If cat allergies is a deal-breaker, that should be in your online profile, or something you ask about in person up front.

I'm wondering how you allowed this to get this far in the first place. Are there any other deal-breakers that you aren't filtering for?
-mof

#83 4 years ago

Frames are everything.

Now, if you can promise to stick your new frame of, "I want to do what's best for the cats, and get them a home with more 24/7 attention and play time." Then do that... If things don't work out with the woman, promise yourself you'll NEVER EVER say, "I shouldn't have given up my cats for her." You have to promise you'll stick to the "What's best for the cats" frame that you just created... and promise to feel good about what you did to get them a better home.

Don't make yourself sick over this years from now if the situation arises. I've been there, and I know the anguish of focusing on the wrong frame... Remember the right frame!

-mof

#84 4 years ago

Keep the cats in their own home, how could your girl not love you for standing up to your commitment to them. The allergies will get less over time .

If you ever build a family you cant lose the kids either.

#85 4 years ago

Girlfriend is coming?

Isolation

382506_621453651213264_1358897420_n (resized).jpg382506_621453651213264_1358897420_n (resized).jpgstimpy and daffy (resized).jpgstimpy and daffy (resized).jpg
#86 4 years ago

He said he was going to get rid of us for that girl!

F7E3A03E-BE40-4003-BFE0-88065AA295EB.gifF7E3A03E-BE40-4003-BFE0-88065AA295EB.gif
#87 4 years ago

G’z... leave the poor guy alone. He asked for help with rehoming, not for opinions. They’re his cats, his relationship, his life. He is an adult and is capable of making this decision, which I’m sure is difficult, all on his own.

#88 4 years ago

I'm trying to find a better situation for them too.

When I adopted them, my business was still feeling the effects of the 2008 recession. I was always around. Now that the economy finally turned, I usually don't get done with work until between 7-8pm. From there, I either go to the gym or go out for a run. Back in 2012, I wasn't running or going to the gym. I was always home by 4pm.

It's nice for a lot of people here to bash my girlfriend over this. For Christmas and my birthday, she gives me gifts and a card from the cats. She doesn't want me to give them up either. Her suggestion, as well as others, is to just give them a bedroom all to themselves. I can't bring myself to do that to them. Nor will I put them in a shelter. They deserve better than being stuck in a bedroom 24/7.

I would love nothing more than to see them with a family where they both will get more than enough attention.

Even though they are 7, they both still act like kittens.

This is not an easy decision...but I'm trying to do what's best for them.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Definitely my thoughts. Go Mgtow.

No_ma_am_shirt_grande (resized).pngNo_ma_am_shirt_grande (resized).png
#90 4 years ago

Here's the thing about cats and your "not being around": the cats likely don't care too much.

They've been with you in that environment for 7 years and are quite used to it.

I kinda think your excuses are lame.

You probably shouldn't adopt pets again after this.

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Even though they are 7, they both still act like kittens.

To be honest 7 is not that old for the average cat, my brothers and sisters all had cats that lived to be 18 and one lived to 22! I don't have any cats unless you count the wild ones I feed during the winter months in my shed. I have a little doggy door I put on it and leave food inside for them to help them through the winter. They sometimes stay inside it if it's bitterly cold but for the most part they eat and leave. I've been feeding two of them for over 5 years now and they still will not allow me to touch them in any way.

#92 4 years ago

Everyone thinks they are perfect or they are smarter than the next guy etc. What people need to realize is 3 things. First off everyone's situation is different, second what works at one point in someones life sometimes doesn't work later down the road, and lastly none of us are perfect.

OP asked for help finding a new home for his two cats. He didn't ask people if they thought he was doing the right thing, he didn't ask what he should do about his girlfriend, etc. Cut the guy a break!

The only good thing about people saying the same things over and over again here is the post keeps getting bumped to the top so more people are seeing it. But OP needs to do what is right for him at this point in life. That doesn't make him a bad guy it just makes him human. He didn't post something like "if I can't find a home for them I am going to dump them by the side of the road next week" he put a post up looking for a good home for them and it appears if he can't find that he will try to work out another solution.

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Everyone thinks they are perfect or they are smarter than the next guy etc. What people need to realize is 3 things. First off everyone's situation is different, second what works at one point in someones life sometimes doesn't work later down the road, and lastly none of us are perfect.
OP asked for help finding a new home for his two cats. He didn't ask people if they thought he was doing the right thing, he didn't ask what he should do about his girlfriend, etc. Cut the guy a break!
The only good thing about people saying the same things over and over again here is the post keeps getting bumped to the top so more people are seeing it. But OP needs to do what is right for him at this point in life. That doesn't make him a bad guy it just makes him human. He didn't post something like "if I can't find a home for them I am going to dump them by the side of the road next week" he put a post up looking for a good home for them and it appears if he can't find that he will try to work out another solution.

Thank you.

Side of the road, someone's farm, Petco, SPCA, Humane Society, shelters etc. are not even options I will consider.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

But OP needs to do what is right for him at this point in life.

This mentality is flawed when it comes to pet ownership though and is quite a slippery slope.

When you adopt a cat or dog, it should be a commitment.

At least OP seems genuine in really trying to find a good home.

GLWTR (rehoming)

#95 4 years ago

I have a hard time blaming the OP or his girl. That's life.

A good partner is hard to find. A cat is easy to find. People are literally giving them away left and right.

Problem is he wants to dump the pussies in favor of the lady, but has crafted this scenario where he gets off completely scot-free in the conscience department. It's just not gonna be that easy especially with TWO cats...must be indoor...etc.

If you can find one person to take one cat, great, now you only have one cat to get rid of. If you can't get rid of either you'll have to accept a no-kill shelter as the best of the last-resort options. But it's gonna be hard for this to play out just like you want it to.

For everybody saying dump the girlfriend, that's pretty flippant. He's got maybe 10 years left out of these cats. The girlfriend could be forever (decades). ANd as wonderful as a good pet is, there are certain things you simply can't get out of a relationship with a pet that you can get with a human partner. Factor all that in a cost-benefit analysis and human girl clearly comes out ahead vs. domesticated cats.

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Factor all that in a cost-benefit analysis and human girl clearly comes out ahead vs. domesticated cats.

Until she doesn’t!

We’re all just giving our opinions here. And trying to help. To assume Pinside would do otherwise is kind of silly.

I truly wish the best for the OP, his girlfriend and the cats. But this mentality of “the allergies are really bad and the cats have to go” is something many here find difficult accept. There are soooo many alternatives to try first.

#97 4 years ago

Something to consider too, as you stated that you and the gf are wanting to move in together:

A LOT of times couples have great relationships, then go and move in together, where it all implodes.

Maybe a good solution would be to allow her to move in, keeping the cats, and trying to work with an allergist?

THEN reconsider rehoming. AND only after you are still living happily together AND she cannot get over the allergy thing.

#98 4 years ago

This thread is a catalyst for good chat. If this is only your decision and she didn't ask you to get rid of the cats, use this as a catapult for further discussion. Don't be catatonic though, listen to her thoughts. You may find it cathartic.

If you don't, the situation could become catastrophic. Maybe catalogue and categorize each positive and negative of the situation, then both of you can make an informed decision together. I dealt with something like this once before, but the discussion involved catering and a catamaran. Good luck!

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

This thread is a catalyst for good chat. If this is only your decision and she didn't ask you to get rid of the cats, use this as a catapult for further discussion. Don't be catatonic though, listen to her thoughts. You may find it cathartic.
If you don't, the situation could become catastrophic. Maybe catalogue and categorize each positive and negative of the situation, then evaluate and make both of you can make an informed decision together. I dealt with something like this once before, but the discussion involved catering and a catamaran. Good luck!

Caterers are dicks!!!

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

This thread is a catalyst for good cat chat. If this is only your decision and she didn't ask you to get rid of the cats, use this as a catapult for further discussion. Don't be catatonic though, listen to her thoughts. You may find it cathartic.
If you don't, the situation could become catastrophic. Maybe catalogue and categorize each positive and negative of the situation, then evaluate and make both of you can make an informed decision together. I dealt with something like this once before, but the discussion involved catering and a catamaran. Good luck!

Funny Colson. I fixed it for you. Cat chat.

There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-help-re-homing-my-2-cats/page/2?hl=blueberryjohnson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.