Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0723.JPG
#1 12 years ago

Hi guys I have a few problems with my new pin (fishtales). The problem i cant figure out is the flashers. They are not working and if i replace the fuse at F111 it blows as soon as i power on the machine. Any one have some ideas on where to start? the other problem is the middle and lower string of lights in the backbox are not working. I feel I have found the problem causing that at J120 plug with a few burned spots and if I wiggle the plug they come on.

Thanks in advance
Alex

#2 12 years ago

Pull connector J107, replace fuse, power up and see if it blows. If it doesn't then you have a short in the PF, putting ground to the red-white wires leaving J107. If it blows with the connector off, then BR4 is likely bad and needs replacing. You can check BR4 with power off, fuse F111 pulled and J107 pulled, using your diode setting on your meter.

#3 12 years ago

I just noticed this: the plug is plugged into J105 but the wires have a flag that says J104. Should I move the plug up to J104?

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k530/boostedskex/FT/IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0723.JPGIMG_0723.JPG

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Pull connector J107, replace fuse, power up and see if it blows. If it doesn't then you have a short in the PF, putting ground to the red-white wires leaving J107. If it blows with the connector off, then BR4 is likely bad and needs replacing. You can check BR4 with power off, fuse F111 pulled and J107 pulled, using your diode setting on your meter.

Ok so i put a new fuse in F111, pulled J107, powered the machine on and the fuse in F111 burned up. (I don't have my meter here it's at the garage)

So I take it my next step is to replace BR4? If so would point me to the correct one on Marco's website. I have a shopping cart of parts ready to order for it but I just want to make sure I am getting the correct one.

Is this the correct part for BR4?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/KBPC3504-W

Thanks
Alex

#5 12 years ago

No....J-104 get's no connection. J-105 has the two blue/white wires that send power to the fliptronic board. In many boards, there are redundant connectors for additional features that may or may not be used on a particular game.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from boostedskex:

robertmee said:Pull connector J107, replace fuse, power up and see if it blows. If it doesn't then you have a short in the PF, putting ground to the red-white wires leaving J107. If it blows with the connector off, then BR4 is likely bad and needs replacing. You can check BR4 with power off, fuse F111 pulled and J107 pulled, using your diode setting on your meter.
Ok so i put a new fuse in F111, pulled J107, powered the machine on and the fuse in F111 burned up.
So I take it my next step is to replace BR4? If so would point me to the correct one on Marco's website. I have a shopping cart of parts ready to order for it but I just want to make sure I am getting the correct one.
Is this the correct part for BR4?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/KBPC3504-W
Thanks
Alex

More than likely or the 15000 uf cap that's next to it is shorted. If you have a meter with diode selection, you can test the BR...

I don't have a WPC schematic handy to show me the BR to order. If I search Marco's for fish tales and rectifier I get this:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=fish%20tales&S_CAT1=ELEC-PCB-RECT

As long as the leg configuration matches (wires vs lugs) so that it fits on the board, it would be fine.

#7 12 years ago

Is it good sense to just replace all of the br (1-4) and all 4 caps or is that just overkill?

#8 12 years ago

Replacing parts before you verify they are bad is bad form. Heat damages PCBs and there's no reason to plug the iron in until you've determined the parts are bad with a meter/probe/scope etc.

Get the meter and do a diode test on the rectifier.

If it's bad, replace it. If it's not, leave it alone.

#9 12 years ago

Remove all your PF flasher connectors from the power driver board, then boot up.

If the fuse DOESNT blow, then your problem is in the flashers themselves, a shorted bulb of some kind. reconnect 1 at a time and see which line the culprit is in.

If the fuse DOES blow, replace BR4 and you'll be right as rain.

have fun

edit: Looks like you guys are already on it huh?
I pulled a BR from an old pdb and fixed IJ's flashers this way. Have any old WPC boards around?

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Remove all your PF flasher connectors from the power driver board, then boot up.

do you know what number the flasher connectors are that I should pull to try to diag?

#11 12 years ago

You already did that....j107. He was late to the game in posting

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

You already did that....j107. He was late to the game in posting

hahahah ooops sorry didnt realize that was the flasher plug. Thanks man!

3 months later
#13 11 years ago

Do did you ever figure this out?? I'm having the same problem with my ToM right now....

Did you end up replacing the BR4 ?

3 years later
#14 8 years ago

Reviving this to see if either of you figured this out. Was BR4 the culprit? I removed J107 and blew another fuse.

#15 8 years ago

Replacing BR4 fixed the issue. Flashers are now working

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 169.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-help-getting-flashers-working-fish-tales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.