Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bublehead
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“I need counseling ”

• Keep Whirlwind 42 votes
      53%
    • Go for Godzilla 37 votes
      47%

(79 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3EBC6A48-05ED-462B-90E0-E07E716DA484 (resized).jpeg
    There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Here it is in a nutshell. I wanted a whirlwind since I was about 15 and I was able to get one about a year ago did some nice little mods to it and I’ve really enjoyed it because it was a total grail pin for me and I still enjoy it.
    I sold off my second pin and was pondering selling off whirlwind to fund getting a Godzilla, probably a pro.
    I’m really busy in life and don’t really have time to go to pincades and such.
    I have a few arcade games at my home and would be fine just having one pin.
    I know Whirlwind is harder to come by these days as well and I would have to sell off WW to buy Godzilla.
    I know that it is my decision at the end of the day but I feel like WW is such a complete package of a game and I need pin-therapy.
    Thank you in advance.

#2 1 year ago

Whirlwind is a top flight machine and an all time favorite. Maybe the first machine i really started to whip older players and I knewm one day I had to get one!
    Bought a bueatiful example and just never really played it for whatever reason. Sd it and moved on and haven't thought much on it. Just gotta let them go

#3 1 year ago

You can buy back the vast majority of machines again if you really miss it. Sell it and have fun with Godzilla.

#4 1 year ago

I think that its that I wanted it for so long and then finally bought it in the high Covid market.
    I would be selling it high as well and I think that you’re right that I could always buy another later and maybe even a better example of one.

#5 1 year ago

That is a tough one. You’ve only had ww a year. I wouldn’t be done with it yet. Do like so many of us do: scheme and scheme until you find a way to have ww and Godzilla

#6 1 year ago

Keep WW and find someone to rent you Godzilla for 3 months. About $750 for a pro around here.
    -Mike

#7 1 year ago

I hear you about the trading up and hustling. I think too that the pin hobby just takes way too much of my life right now and I think that I just want to stopping checking pin-side every 10 minutes and chasing down Craigslist deals to make things happen. I just want to stop that and working on them for right now and start just enjoying playing.

#8 1 year ago

Life's too short.

Sell your Whirlwind, don't look back, and move on to a Godzilla!

Get a Premium though.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from jdzwir123:

I hear you about the trading up and hustling. I think too that the pin hobby just takes way too much of my life right now and I think that I just want to stopping checking pin-side every 10 minutes and chasing down Craigslist deals to make things happen. I just want to stop that and working on them for right now and start just enjoying playing.

If you want to slow down, keep WW and play Godzilla on location.

#10 1 year ago

That does kind of sums up my life right now and that would be slowing down in the pin hobby. I’ve done it before and the bug is always faithful to bite me again once I do.

Quoted from poppapin:

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

That is a tough one. You’ve only had ww a year. I wouldn’t be done with it yet. Do like so many of us do: scheme and scheme until you find a way to have ww and Godzilla

This is what I do. Sell nothing. That way you can’t have any regrets.

#12 1 year ago

That is profound!

Quoted from Gotpins:

This is what I do. Sell nothing. That way you can’t have any regrets.

#13 1 year ago

My advice is don’t get a terminal illness, it can warp your sense of “good deal” to the point of crazy. These days, I struggle with the thought of having a disease-limited time to enjoy a virtually unlimited list of titles, so I try to focus only on the ones that make me smile and want to play them again. It’s unfortunate that I have means but no remaining space, I quickly ran out of that (recently). According to the wife, I’m not allowed to pluralize the term “game room”.

#14 1 year ago

Yep, I hear ya. I still leave after playing a good game of Whirlwind with that wow feeling and a sense of completion. Also I don’t have the attention span to play a 45 minute game.

#15 1 year ago

I have a theory that once you get the idea of selling a particular game in your head it’s very hard to shake it. Almost everyone has regretted selling a game. Many that have regretted selling a game and bought it back realize why they sold it in the first place. If you were talking about selling a Gottlieb Going Nuts to fund a TBL we’d maybe have some concerns. WW and GZ will be around for many years after whatever decision you make. Good luck!

#16 1 year ago

Keep the Whirlwind you love. You will regret selling it.

#17 1 year ago

Thank you guys for letting me talk this through!
    Thank God for pin-side because outside of pinside people just don’t get it.

#18 1 year ago

Yes keep it if your already thinking it ,over many many years I have learned if u do sell them and the ones you buy back are the ones you should never sell again I got back a lot of machines over the years and will never sell them again that’s how u really know and as I said if you are already thinking that it’s a every sign u don’t want too sell it so keep it

#19 1 year ago

I enjoy going to barcades/breweries a few times a month, so I prefer to buy what I don't see on location. For me, that's basically every Stern made in the past 10 years. I love GZ, but like to keep it as one of my favorites to play when I'm out supporting a local spot.

#20 1 year ago

That’s kind of what I was thinking because there are already a lot of Godzillas in the wild and no doubt there will be more in the future. The main reason that I bought WW is that I could never find one on location.

Quoted from cookpins:

I enjoy going to barcades/breweries a few times a month, so I prefer to buy what I don't see on location. For me, that's basically every Stern made in the past 10 years. I love GZ, but like to keep it as one of my favorites to play when I'm out supporting a local spot.

#21 1 year ago

I always regret it when I sell a pin. Now I just keep them. I vote to keep Whirlwind, I really enjoy that one.

#22 1 year ago

I agree. To me it just seems like a complete game and I have owned and played my share of good pins over the years.

Quoted from pcprogrammer:I always regret it when I sell a pin. Now I just keep them. I vote to keep Whirlwind, I really enjoy that one.

#23 1 year ago

WW was a grail game for me too due to nostalgia. That said, I've owned it twice and didn't look back after selling it the 2nd time. I'd say dump it. Not a hard game to get down the road if you really want it, but I'm not one who will probably pick it up again

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I will second this. GZ are everywhere and probably will be for a while.

#25 1 year ago

WW is a classic and solid game. Keep it. GZ prices will get down eventually.

#26 1 year ago

Sold my whirlwind 2 years ago now to get a TMNT pro. TMNT lasted about a year and I sold it for Godzilla premium… I miss whirlwind sure, it’s an awesome game, but I don’t regret it. My modern machines get significantly more play than any older pin. And that’s why we do this, to play our games and have fun.

Sell it. You’ll miss it, but you won’t regret it.

#27 1 year ago

Dump some arcade games for space and cash, keep WW and buy GZ

#28 1 year ago

Don't sell Whirlwind until you have a Godzilla in hand, even if that means saving up for a while. They are still making Godzillas, and eventually the prices on those will come down some. I forsee a day within the next 2 years where you can get a lightly used Godzilla Pro for $5800-$6200. They are just making a ton of them (and its a great game). Once supply finally meets demand, these things come down. If you have a long time horizon and money in hand, you could wait until around the time the next new Stern Pin drops. There are plenty of people that will drop Godzilla in favor of pursuing the "new shiney". I have Whirlwind and had Godzilla. Both are great games, but I personally would have more to do on Godzilla. Note that depending on your play skills Godzilla is a much longer playing game than Whirlwind.

#29 1 year ago

I know you’re right on that about the market flooding with Godzillas. It becomes a waiting game(pun intended) and they will go lower just like they usually do.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Don't sell Whirlwind until you have a Godzilla in hand, even if that means saving up for a while. They are still making Godzillas, and eventually the prices on those will come down some. I forsee a day within the next 2 years where you can get a lightly used Godzilla Pro for $5800-$6200. They are just making a ton of them (and it’s a great game). Once supply finally meets demand, these things come down. If you have a long time horizon and money in hand, you could wait until around the time the next new Stern Pin drops. There are plenty of people that will drop Godzilla in favor of pursuing the "new shiney". I have Whirlwind and had Godzilla. Both are great games, but I personally would have more to do on Godzilla. Note that depending on your play skills Godzilla is a much longer playing game than Whirlwind.

#30 1 year ago

My best advice would be to switch your game out whenever you get bored. If you have more than one machine you get ones that you don’t wanna let go of but if you have only one it’s nice to get something different every now and then

#31 1 year ago

That was my thinking to, about getting a TMNT pro so we could play something different and newer, while we wait. I like shorter more brutal games too, plus TMNT are able to get cheaper nowadays and I like the theme and different modes, coop and such.

Quoted from Jkaping:

Sold my whirlwind 2 years ago now to get a TMNT pro. TMNT lasted about a year and I sold it for Godzilla premium… I miss whirlwind sure, it’s an awesome game, but I don’t regret it. My modern machines get significantly more play than any older pin. And that’s why we do this, to play our games and have fun.
    Sell it. You’ll miss it, but you won’t regret it.

#32 1 year ago

You are selling an appreciating asset to purchase a depreciating one.

Whirlwind will hold its value and probably appreciate in value. Godzilla will be dropping in price over the next year or so as they 1) pump out as many new ones as they can while the demand is there and 2) people who already have a Godzilla start selling them to fund newer pin purchases.

I considered selling my LOTR to buy a Godzilla and then came to my senses. I'll buy a used Godzilla in another year when prices have dropped.

#33 1 year ago

Try not to get attached nostalgically to a title, or put any major significance into a machine or else you will keep it even though you lost “play it” interest years ago.

For me that significance was imbued upon The Machine: Bride of Pinbot by association, specifically she makes a matched set with Pinbot, which is bolted to the floor, therefore so is she, yet you ask me if I like playing Bride 1.0, I will gladly remind you to “Shoot the ramp”, and when you’re done shooting the ramp, shoot the ramp, then shoot the ramp, then shoot the ramp, and after that, try to shoot the ramp, if you can weasel it, then shoot the ramp, but after that you really need to shoot the ramp, but then shoot the ramp, shoot the ramp, shoot the ramp, and then finally, trap up and shoot the Heart Ramp, drain all balls, put name on Billionaires Club list, go home. Rinse Repeat.

Do not fall for the trap of buying something to “complete” a collection, just to find out your “grail” title turned out to be a pig with lipstick.

#34 1 year ago

Are you still playing WW? Never sell a pin your still playing and enjoying. It will leave you wanting for it in the future and it may haunt you for years. Once you stop playing it, that is when you part with it.

#35 1 year ago

I do still enjoy playing quite a bit.

Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Are you still playing WW? Never sell a pin you’re still playing and enjoying. It will leave you wanting for it in the future and it may haunt you for years. Once you stop playing it, that is when you part with it.

#36 1 year ago

I understand the whole getting stuck in the nostalgic thing, because whirlwind pretty much defined my teenage years. I still play it but probably not as much as before. I bought it when the market was high and I would be selling it high as well and not losing anything on it. Maybe later in life I could revisit it and get a better example or possibly a HEP or a remake?

Quoted from Bublehead:

Try not to get attached nostalgically to a title, or put any major significance into a machine or else you will keep it even though you lost “play it” interest years ago.
    For me that significance was imbued upon The Machine: Bride of Pinbot by association, specifically she makes a matched set with Pinbot, which is bolted to the floor, therefore so is she, yet you ask me if I like playing Bride 1.0, I will gladly remind you to “Shoot the ramp”, and when you’re done shooting the ramp, shoot the ramp, then shoot the ramp, then shoot the ramp, and after that, try to shoot the ramp, if you can weasel it, then shoot the ramp, but after that you really need to shoot the ramp, but then shoot the ramp, shoot the ramp, shoot the ramp, and then finally, trap up and shoot the Heart Ramp, drain all balls, put name on Billionaires Club list, go home. Rinse Repeat.
    Do not fall for the trap of buying something to “complete” a collection, just to find out your “grail” title turned out to be a pig with lipstick.

#37 1 year ago

prices on those will come down some

Prices coming down has been speculation in this hobby for the last 10+ years and look where we are today. I don't see prices coming down unless we are in a massive recession. I do think prices will level out a bit. Many people paid over MSRP for a GZ due to the wait times of 6 months+ to get it NOW. This is why the secondary market on them are high. Once out of production a good pin, price will increase and non desirables will decrease.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

You can buy back the vast majority of machines again if you really miss it. Sell it and have fun with Godzilla.

Usually i'd agree with this. But with pricing continuing to climb, sometimes you can't rebuy easily.

OP i'd keep it and save for the other pin. I had sold both my pinbot and taxi years back and missed them. I had to rebuy later on, and now they'll stay put. If WW means THAT much to you (i don't like the pin) then keep it. It will be harder to find years from now and with a greater price tag.

#39 1 year ago

I sold GoT Pre (my only pin) in feb 2020 with plans to buy NIB AFM for my birthday a couple months later. Then Covid closed down the world. Overnight I lost my job of 18 years, and the pinball market jumped in price. I’m doing well, but I still don’t have an AFM in my basement. I had to get an Arcade1up to hold me over. It’s hard to justify these prices, when I got an F14 for $800 just a couple years before. My new $10k toy is a summer weekend car. AFM is realistically a couple years away though.

Don’t sell this one first, life can change without notice.

#40 1 year ago

Whirlwind is a true classic. Godzilla is essentially the new hotness and it's prolly twice? the price too.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Prices coming down has been speculation in this hobby for the last 10+ years and look where we are today. I don't see prices coming down unless we are in a massive recession. I do think prices will level out a bit. Many people paid over MSRP for a GZ due to the wait times of 6 months+ to get it NOW. This is why the secondary market on them are high. Once out of production a good pin, price will increase and non desirables will decrease.

I'm not saying "the bubble is bursting" but historically you can get a game for $500 - $1,000 off of NIB price once production of a pin catches up to demand. When I can drive and hour and pick up a NIB for MSRP from the dealer, secondary prices fall a bit. Look what has happend to JJP's GnR. Those were going above MSRP to the point that JJP raised prices to 11k for an LE, and you can get them now for $8200 2 years later with 30ish for sale on pinside. Now, Godzilla should fair better than G&R (it's WAY better) but I do see the price on a second hand going down a little when NIB is available everywhere again.

Edit to add: Last used G&R LE confirmed to sell on pinside went for... $7,999. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive?s=1&ad_machine_key=2912
    You can buy one NIB for $11,000 right now.

#42 1 year ago

if you just have room/money/time for one game, keep the WW. can't go wrong with a classic and you can play godzilla everywhere

#43 1 year ago

I have noticed prices leveling off a bit. TMNT pro can be picked up around the 5900 mark and I found a Godzilla pro for 6900 and they would probably take 100 or 200 off.

#44 1 year ago

If you only have room for one pin and WW (which you like a bunch) needs to go...get a GZ Prem instead of a Pro. Has the bridge, building, and mechzilla mechanicals. I think those 3 extra things will make it seem like a step up from WW or a Pro.

#45 1 year ago

I forsee a day within the next 2 years where you can get a lightly used Godzilla Pro for $5800-$6200. They are just making a ton of them (and its a great game). Once supply finally meets demand, these things come down.

This is true, wait and eventually you'll see a good deal on a Godzilla given how much supply there is. But the one caveat I'd give here is that the big bulk of the supply seems to be Premiums rather than Pros. I've seen a dozen or so premiums on location compared to maybe three pros, and everyone buying for home use is also going premium. I wouldn't count on the pro going much below MSRP unless it's a really beat up location one.

#46 1 year ago

I kind of want to go the pro route because then I’ll have a little bit of money to maybe put a fire power next to it or something else.

Quoted from mbwalker:

If you only have room for one pin and WW (which you like a bunch) needs to go...get a GZ Prem instead of a Pro. Has the bridge, building, and mechzilla mechanicals. I think those 3 extra things will make it seem like a step up from WW or a Pro.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from jdzwir123:

I kind of want to go the pro route because then I’ll have a little bit of money to maybe put a fire power next to it or something else.

Go for it sell and buy a pro plus money left over cant lose

#48 1 year ago

I can tell you I am extremely happy with the Godzilla pro in my house. I could see keeping it forever. A forever home.

You will not be disappointed with the game, imo.

3EBC6A48-05ED-462B-90E0-E07E716DA484 (resized).jpeg3EBC6A48-05ED-462B-90E0-E07E716DA484 (resized).jpeg
    #49 1 year ago
    Quoted from jdzwir123:

So you have room for two pins, a plan to save money to get a second, and you can't just be patient and keep the game that's important to you while saving up for another?

Nothing wrong with that, but if that's the case sell WW because clearly it's not that important to you. It's just a game, you won't hurt its feelings. You're not a bad pinballer because you got a grail, enjoyed it, and then wanted to try something else.

#50 1 year ago

It’s originally my plan to sell off both of them which I sold off one and then sell off WW and get something newer ie Godzilla Pro.

Then take some funds and go on a little trip with my family and when I say trip I don’t mean driving 8 hours to go pick up another pin or go play pins but enjoying spending time together.

It’s amazing how much time this hobby can consume and don’t get me wrong it’s fun but you start to see things differently as your kids grow up, start getting out of school and are getting ready to get on with their own lives.

Quoted from Aurich:

So you have room for two pins, a plan to save money to get a second, and you can't just be patient and keep the game that's important to you while saving up for another?
    Nothing wrong with that, but if that's the case sell WW because clearly it's not that important to you. It's just a game, you won't hurt its feelings. You're not a bad pinballer because you got a grail, enjoyed it, and then wanted to try something else.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-counseling-?hl=aamauzy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.