(Topic ID: 151731)

I need an idiot's guide to shipping games.

By travisbmartin

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Nevus
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

99895c0f-c4b0-42d8-a218-5e53bfa91872_400_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hey guys. I'm in a position to get a Bride. Super Excited.

Problem is, I live in Indiana. It's in North Carolina. I'll need it shipped. Never thought I'd be in this part of the hobby.

So, i guess i need to get quotes for shipping? Who should i try? How much does a BoP weigh? What all do I need to know?

Help?

#2 8 years ago

There are a large number of companies that ship pinball - R&L, STI, NAVL, etc. Google search them and call them and ask for a quote. Typically all you need is the pick-up and drop-off locations. They've never asked me for weight. They may also ask/require that the machine is ready for essentially curbside/in the garage on ground level pickup and on a pallet.

More than anything I would discuss this with the seller and make sure this isn't their first rodeo too. An experienced seller with shipping experience should easily be able to walk you through that. I don't know that I'd want to buy a pin remotely from anyone who didn't have that experience...

If at all possible I'd avoid the shipping all together - between all the mess ups that happen by the freight company, any potential incompetence by the seller in preparing for shipping, or the risk of fraud/issues with the machine not being properly presented there are plenty of reasons not to buy sight unseen.

#3 8 years ago

Hey Travis. Great advice from T-800, but Ive had (knock on wood) good luck thus far with STI. And Tamara has a sexy ass voice..
1-800-959-8880, then press 2 for gaming dept. See ya soon mang !

#4 8 years ago

I've used these guys about 8 times. Cost average is about $375 with the the only exception the one shipped from California ($420) I think. They come in, wrap the machine with shipping blankets and shrink wrap it. Costs go up if it's not at ground level. Never had an issue with them

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago

My advice to you is go pick it up!!...Here's a few figures to consider...I looked at your location and not sure exactly where in NC you are going but if it is about 600 miles, that's 1200 miles round trip...take a mini van (you must know someone if you don't have your own) and gas is only going to cost a little over $100, assuming about 20 mpg and $2 per gallon which is on the high end..now figure a place to stay one night and some food stops and you're still only into the trip for about $200...Only need to take a couple days for a little road trip!..I don't think you're going to get it shipped that cheap,(my shipping consistently costs about $400 per machine shipped legs on, this has been through NAVL/. STI. By picking it up yourself you know how it's going to get handled!. .I've already received a new machine professionally crated etc...with a big hole in the box, and scratch on the side!!..not cool for a $8000 pinball machine!!...If you have the time to do it, NO WAY would I have it shipped!!...But this is my own personal opinion,,,keep in mine I have had several shipped and several I've gone to pick up when as close as you are to the seller..good luck which ever choice you decide....

#6 8 years ago

Drive down, spend the night and see the sites! The next morning if you see something not right about the game you will still have time to back out of the deal and head home. Even if you have to rent a SUV or minivan to get it' it's likely still going to be cheaper then shipping it and best of all you don't have the stress of wondering if they are going to drop it, fork the side, slam another object into it .... yikes!

#7 8 years ago

By the way Travis..You are NOT and idiot for not knowing (idiots guide!)..Great question to ask on how to ship a pinball..once again, hope it all works out,,,I didn't mention also another reason to get the game in person....if you don't really know the seller, you might end up with a real (Tird!)..It's happened to me more than once when I got a pinball shipped and the seller mis-represented the machine..Your idea of a players condition machine, might be his idea of a immaculate quality perfect machine!!..It's a chance you take...

#8 8 years ago

You should not have to worry about shipping games, especially if it is within the US mainland. I'm in Canada and have arranged freight for 2 (soon to be a third) pinball from the US.

What you will need to do is find a freight company, I may suggest you at least get a quote from: YRC Freight (http://yrc.com/)

You can get a quote online, specific the pick up zip code and destination zip code. If you are picking up the the sellers house, chances are they won't have a dock or a forklift so you *will need* to specify pickup with a LIFT GATE. If it is coming directly to your house, same thing, lift gate.

I would (contrary to some others I have read) strongly recommending shipping without legs. Ask the seller to pack it up on a standard 40"x48" pallet. Ideally boxed with a shipping blanket over it or in the original box if available. Final dimensions would probably be around 40x48x60 @ 325lbs. There is a reason Stern ships new pinballs on skids and boxed - it is ultimately safer. Shrink wrap it and carefully tie it down to the pallet. It may take an hour or so to pack it and involve an extra $50 worth of parts such as tie downs and crate etc. Hopefully the seller is not against this.

I like YRC because they have default coverage of $25.00 USD per pound up to 400lbs or something so in almost all cases, their default coverage will take care of any serious incident.

Make it easy for the seller, download the Bill of Lading (BOL) from the YRC Site (or whatever company you decide on) and fill it out, send a copy of it to the seller. He has to give this to the freight company when they pick it up. Ask seller to take a picture of signed BOL from the driver and email it to you. The final copy will have a PRO# on it which is used for tracking purposes. Ask the seller to take pictures of the skid once loaded INSIDE the van so you have proof how it looked at pick up.

Side note: if you ship internationally, you also need a commercial invoice stating amount of game as you would pay taxes on this. The Commercial Invoice would go to your broker. This of course does not apply to you.

It really is fairly straight forward and for me to get a pin from MN to Calgary,AB takes about 4-5 days transit time and runs about $375 - $ 400

#9 8 years ago

Having the machine shipped without the legs is how you get cabinet scratches. My nightmare scenario is the legs placed right beside the cabinet on a pallet and you get "shaky shaky" and "scratchy scratchy". Another nightmare is the head being lowered and strapped to the cabinet and you get the score reel etc being bounced up and down on the backglass. Ever wondered how those scratches from light sockets happen?

#10 8 years ago

I know a guy that had a bride shipped in from overseas. And he's been happy ever since.

#11 8 years ago

Philippines?

#12 8 years ago

Perhaps.

#13 8 years ago

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I got a bit to think about now.

I am very tempted to just go get it on a free weekend, but I dont know if i can make that work. It's good to have options, though.

#14 8 years ago

I have used http://www.pinballsonthemove.com/ a few times with great success.

#15 8 years ago

Whether you go get the pin yourself of have it picked up, have the seller wrap it up tight with a roll or two(or more) of this. Legs on or off, this is a must. Accidents happen and this plastic has saved many peoples cabinets. You may want to offer him up some extra money just to cover supplies. Wrap top to bottom before back box is down then same after its down, side to side, until you feel you could run the side into a wall(at low speed) and not damage it.

Hope, dreams and prayers without plastic. Taking chances you don't need to in my opinion.

99895c0f-c4b0-42d8-a218-5e53bfa91872_400_(resized).jpg99895c0f-c4b0-42d8-a218-5e53bfa91872_400_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#16 8 years ago

Prices are insane now. Looking into get one shipped from Connecticut to San Diego, CA

STI - $817.99 + $35 insurance
Corovan - $701.10 + $35 ins
NAVL - Says they don't move individual pins any longer

Waiting to hear back from Craters and Freighters...

Looking for a company that can do it all, PACK it at origin and SHIP to destination.

ANY HELP WITH THE ABOVE WOULD BE MUCH APPECIATED.

I understand if I can have seller pack and get it to a PilotAir terminal or to a Fastenal location, it will be a better price.

#17 8 years ago

Finally! After some more research here and calling, this is the best I could find...

Michelle or email her [email protected]...(630)-352-3312.

$426.80 from Connecticut to San Diego, CA (includes insurance)

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from DiegoWally:

(includes insurance)

Always good to ask how much the insurance covers, in many cases it's capped so if the pin is worth several thousands you may need extra insurance (not very costly)

#19 8 years ago

Set to cover $1,500. The price I paid for the pin.

#20 8 years ago

Thanks for all the input, guys. After a long time thinking, talking to the wife, and looking at all the options, we've decided to road trip for it.

Louisville's Expo is that weekend anyway. I'm going to make a whole week of it for my hobby.

#21 8 years ago

Safe travels.

1 week later
#22 8 years ago

Fastenal is 150 they pallet and wrap free. However no insurance. Takes about 8 days.

#23 8 years ago

I was quoted $400 by Michelle bianchi to ship from Pennsylvania to Phoenix. Pin/cab is insured up to $1500 and you can pay COD or prepay via credit card.

4 weeks later
#24 8 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

Whether you go get the pin yourself of have it picked up, have the seller wrap it up tight with a roll or two(or more) of this. Legs on or off, this is a must. Accidents happen and this plastic has saved many peoples cabinets. You may want to offer him up some extra money just to cover supplies. Wrap top to bottom before back box is down then same after its down, side to side, until you feel you could run the side into a wall(at low speed) and not damage it.
Hope, dreams and prayers without plastic. Taking chances you don't need to in my opinion.

99895c0f-c4b0-42d8-a218-5e53bfa91872_400_(resized).jpg

I'm trying to figure out a good way to move a Bally to where the backglass is safe. Would you suggest letting it go locked down or is there a way to keep it tight in the head?

The machine will stay on the legs, head attached...

Thanks!

#25 8 years ago

Extra insurance with Michelle/CRST beyond the $1500 is very cheap. My quotes ares usually and extra $20-$30 insured up to about 5-6k depending on the price of the game.

Also, I recommend the seller wrapping the game. If you use your own blankets, the driver will give you some to replace them if you ask nice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 9.99
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-an-idiots-guide-to-shipping-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.