(Topic ID: 277413)

I need an epic fantasy book or series to read. Any recommendations?

By Krupps4

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Thermionic
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

longships (resized).jpg
IMG_9252 (resized).jpeg
s-l400 (resized).jpg
237B7675-647E-4F6D-B5C8-DA1F4B676624 (resized).jpeg
16001446383742609641918371864876 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
ECE952DB-AC37-4492-8DB3-268FA3934502 (resized).jpeg
s-l640 (resized).jpg
A807B3CB-3528-4B83-B31B-71951AFFC66E (resized).jpeg
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

Bellgariad and Mallorian by David Eddings. Nine Princes in Amber series Roger Zelazny. Dragon Riders of Pern, Anne Mccaffery. All awesome series from the 80's

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
Stephen Donaldson.
6 books. Awesome series. Fantasy.[quoted image]

Actually there are 10 books. Donaldson released 4 more a couple of decades ago. They were better than the first six!

I popped in to recommend this series. Glad to see others did as well!

#53 3 years ago

The books are pretty easy reads, but The Legend of Drizzt series by R. A. Salvatore is a fun read and there are plenty (30+) of books.

#54 3 years ago

As others have said, Brandon Sandersons stormlight series (Way of Kings is the first book). Its amazing. I also really like The Night Watch series from Sergei Lukenyenko (sp?). Very cool books. Very bad movies.

#55 3 years ago

The Archers Tale series by Bernard Cornwell. Epic books. Surprised they are not made into movies yet!

https://www.amazon.com/Archers-Tale-Grail-Quest-Book/dp/0060935766/ref=sr_1_2

#56 3 years ago

If you enjoyed Lord of the Rings, there are many volumes of Tolkien’s material detailing the earlier ages of Middle Earth. They were compiled by his son Christopher. It’s a pretty deep dive, though.

I don’t read a whole lot of fantasy. Not much of what I have compares well with Tolkien in terms of depth. I do remember liking the Dragon Riders of Pern novels, but that was decades ago. I’m pretty sure that it earned the author, Anne McCaffrey, a Hugo Award.

#57 3 years ago

Just started Mistborn and so far it’s fun.

#58 3 years ago

I enjoyed Mistborn, as well. I planned on pursuing more of the series, but never got around to it. I may have to circle back on that one.

#59 3 years ago

Asimov. Classic.

IMG_9252 (resized).jpegIMG_9252 (resized).jpeg

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Red rising series by Pierce Brown. My wife doesn’t care for this kind of stuff , I begged her to read the first 2 chapters of the first book; she proceeded to finish the entire series in a matter of a few weeks. All of my buddies have read it, it’s amaze balls... I’ve only read the first 4; the 4th book is a little odd, but the 5th is supposed to be amazing
[quoted image]

I also would recommend this series, if you are lucky book 6 will come out after you read first five.

#61 3 years ago

In addition to much of the preceding, but more fun and less dark than some, try Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series: the protagonists "become" Death (On A Pale Horse), Time (Bearing an Hourglass), Fate (With A Tangled Skein), War (Wielding A Red Sword), Earth (Being A Green Mother), Evil (For Love of Evil) and Good (And Eternity) in this 7-book-arc. Each aspect of reality is a cosmic senior responsibility ... but you might not have applied for the task!

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from bobmathuse:

In addition to much of the preceding, but more fun and less dark than some, try Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series: the protagonists "become" Death (On A Pale Horse), Time (Bearing an Hourglass), Fate (With A Tangled Skein), War (Wielding A Red Sword), Earth (Being A Green Mother), Evil (For Love of Evil) and Good (And Eternity) in this 7-book-arc. Each aspect of reality is a cosmic senior responsibility ... but you might not have applied for the task!

I remember that series from when I was in (high school? I think?). Those books have some STRONG NSFW content lol

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from blackthorne:

The books are pretty easy reads, but The Legend of Drizzt series by R. A. Salvatore is a fun read and there are plenty (30+) of books.

I was going to say this! The dark elf trilogy is awesome.

#64 3 years ago

If you love huge fantasy books you should check out Tad Williams. He writes Stephen King style with 800+ page books. I've read his Otherland series and some of his stand alone books and they are fantastic. I need to start into his other series. Also, another fantasy/sci-fi author I like is China Mieville. The City & The City is amazing as well as, Kraken, and Embassy Town. I need to get back into these as well.

#65 3 years ago

This is not exactly what you were looking for but its an excellent
non-fiction science/astronomy book I just finished;

The Super Nova Story by Marschall (sp?).

This is a fascinating book that explains how stars are formed and how
they die. But also how the stuff left over from exploding stars was
made and created all of the known elements which of course our
planet and even we are made of.

Far better than some sci-fi books because its true.
Steve

#66 3 years ago

Magician by Raymond E Feist
Dune

#67 3 years ago

I feel terrible for not even thinking of it before, but Terry Pratchett's Discworld series takes the best of the medieval fantasy world and the worst of our current real world, lots of humor.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

During the COVID lockdown, I’ve been reading book after book. I’ve really enjoyed getting caught up on the Tom Clancy books I had never read. They are big and long and epic and full of detail which I view as a plus. However, I need to switch gears. Any must read fantasy books that are big and long and epic and full of detail? For the record, I’ve read Lord of the Rings. Thanks in advance!

Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E.Feist.

#69 3 years ago

Not precisely fantasy but definitely epic, The Long Ships is a Viking adventure novel with first-rate characters and some nice laughs peppered in amongst the drinking and pillaging. If you like Tolkien I’d almost guarantee you’ll love this too. One of my all-time favorites.

longships (resized).jpglongships (resized).jpg
#70 3 years ago
Quoted from scootie:

Bellgariad and Mallorian by David Eddings. Nine Princes in Amber series Roger Zelazny. Dragon Riders of Pern, Anne Mccaffery. All awesome series from the 80's

All great series, but Eddings' series will always rank as the best to me. I really enjoy Butcher's Dresden series and the Alera series was well written, but the basic plot is similar. Nothing wrong with that, and Butcher gives credit to Eddings.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from Oshara:

Codex Alera by Jim Butcher I think his Dresden books are more popular but the Alera books were enjoyable.

I would not call this epic, but is okay. Jim Butcher is a bit lazy in my opinon, there are large jumps in time between books and not a lot of character development. I would consider this more of a child's series, but not like Harry Potter where all ages enjoy.

I second the Dark Tower series. It is my favorite fantasty series ever. I have all first prints, except the first two, which are thousands of dollars. The hardback books have awesome art throughout. DO NOT judge this based on the shitty movie that came out a year or two ago. I have to admit though that I'm a huge Stephen King fan in general.

Dune was also mentioned. What a great series to read. I support this recomendation as well.

#72 3 years ago

Michael Moorcock has several good things. His Von Bek series is a very long read, but pretty interesting from what I read!

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I remember that series from when I was in (high school? I think?). Those books have some STRONG NSFW content lol

LOL, Anthony was indeed a delightfully randy old man (not sure he was truly “old” - my criteria are far different now than at age 12)!

Nothing quite like unexpectedly learning the definition of “kink” at age 13 when you think you are merely reading a cool story about swords and sorcery and such, but are suddenly presented with not only a description of what a “Centaur” is, but also the reproductive processes which brought it into being!

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-an-epic-fantasy-book-or-series-to-read-any-recommendations/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.