Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Only2ThingsComeFromTexasjpg_(resized).jpg
    brawny_(resized).jpg
    novus_2_(resized).JPG
    alamo_(resized).jpg
    novus_cloth_(resized).jpg
    mr-clean-magic-erasers_(resized).png
    91%_alcohol_(resized).jpg
    mean_green_1_(resized).jpg
    k2-_d020779f-5579-46a6-8892-fdf154478715.v1_(resized).jpg
    JPW_(resized).JPG
    BW_(resized).jpg
    JPW_(resized).png
    #1 7 years ago

I recently purchased a nice 1976 Space Mission and would like to gather recommendations on cleaning products. It's fairly clean now so I just need to maintain it without doing any damage. What can I use on the cabinet, back glass and play field to keep them clean? I'd also like to ask for a recommendation on wax for the play field. Thanks for the help this is my first machine.

#3 7 years ago

This thread has everything you need to know and much more

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

Sorry had wrong guide...above is correct

#4 7 years ago

That thread really rambles on and on for 15 pages. Is there more concise information for an old machine from this era?

#6 7 years ago

Here are the only 2 products I use besides windex for the glass. The BW removes cig tar like nothing else. Pick them up just about anywhere.

JPW_(resized).pngJPW_(resized).png

BW_(resized).jpgBW_(resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

I found that cleaning with Coleman Fuel,then cleaning with Bar Keepers Friend liquid,then waxing with Maguire's Gold works great.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from JBK:

Here are the only 2 products I use besides windex for the glass. The BW removes cig tar like nothing else. Pick them up just about anywhere.

You use Bleche-Wite on yellowed cabinets?
    I've never tried that. That stuff is pretty nasty, isn't it?

#9 7 years ago

I first tried Bleach-White from a Bryan Kelly tip for cleaning harnesses. He would soak them in a tub with a water/BW mixture.

Eventually I just started using it for every metal/plastic part that comes off the machine. I spray it right on, scrub with a toothbrush, and rinse shortly thereafter. The stuff is amazing. It IS pungent and ventilation is recommended but the skin on my hands isn't the worse for wear. Again, rinse off quickly and I wash my hands often. The rubber gloves were just too slippery.

#10 7 years ago

Everything you need from start to finish:

JPW_(resized).JPGJPW_(resized).JPG
    k2-_d020779f-5579-46a6-8892-fdf154478715.v1_(resized).jpgk2-_d020779f-5579-46a6-8892-fdf154478715.v1_(resized).jpg
    mean_green_1_(resized).jpgmean_green_1_(resized).jpg

novus_cloth_(resized).jpgnovus_cloth_(resized).jpg

alamo_(resized).jpgalamo_(resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Item number five, will also taste the best!!

#12 7 years ago

EM Pinman what are you using to clean the playfield with? Are you using just the paste wax?

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Silverstreak02:

EM Pinman what are you using to clean the playfield with? Are you using just the paste wax?

You should only have to initially clean the playfield to get out ground in dirt once when you get the machine, regular maintenance will pick up the loose dirt created later by use with just waxing.

Tools of the trade for the initial clean:

91%_alcohol_(resized).jpg91%_alcohol_(resized).jpg
    mr-clean-magic-erasers_(resized).pngmr-clean-magic-erasers_(resized).png
    novus_2_(resized).JPGnovus_2_(resized).JPG
    brawny_(resized).jpgbrawny_(resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Item number four, will also taste the best!!

Maybe #5 now that I moved things around as #4 leaves a dry taste in your mouth.

#15 7 years ago

I use Novus2 for cleanin playfields. then BOAT wax to finish, it is harder than other types, so they say.
    just be sure to get CARNABA wax, not fancy stuff, they have chems in them, not good for playfields.
    and, what is it...naptha cleans too.
    Alcohol and a tooth brush for metal contacts.

#16 7 years ago

My six step method works great.

On the crudiest playfields I use a little Windex on a paper towel first. Don't laugh, it works!

Next comes the Magic Eraser and 91% Alcohol.

After that Novus II to polish it up.

Next step is Millwax to clean and leave a serious shine. But that's not enough...

Two coats of Blitz wax to give it that long lasting protection.

The I'm done.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I approve of the beer choice

--Jeff

#18 7 years ago

I just put up a thread on negative results with Johnson's Paste Wax I've been meaning to post, after reading this thread I decided to:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnsons-paste-wax-not-that-great-for-these-machines-as-people-think

#19 7 years ago

Krud Kutter for cabinets

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

I approve of the beer choice

I always remember the"Alamo".

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I always remember the"Alamo".

We will make a Texan out of yall yet.

#22 7 years ago

Only2ThingsComeFromTexasjpg_(resized).jpgOnly2ThingsComeFromTexasjpg_(resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

I decide to use Novus 2 and Maguires Carnuba. It came out great and didn't cause any damage. The play field is very smooth and protected now.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

On the crudiest playfields I use a little Windex on a paper towel first. Don't laugh, it works!
    Next step is Millwax to clean and leave a serious shine. But that's not enough...
    The I'm done.

I thought using Milwax, which is a silicone based product, made using a real carnuba wax not possible?

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The I'm done.

I know everyone has their own way of doing things but O-Din's way listed above is awesome!! It is 100% what I do everytime.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

You use Bleche-Wite on yellowed cabinets?
    I've never tried that. That stuff is pretty nasty, isn't it?

YES! I use bleche-wite on cabinets, playfields and ramps. Don't use it on overlays or stickers. It removes the yellow cig smoke from cabinets in seconds. I service hundreds of pins a year. I use this stuff on everything from woodrails to newer Sterns. Go easy with it on the 50s and earlier plastics, their ink is pretty fragile.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I know everyone has their own way of doing things but O-Din's way listed above is awesome!! It is 100% what I do everytime.

They don't hand out first place ribbons for nothin'!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-a-recommendation-for-cleaning-products and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.