(Topic ID: 106126)

I need a old man to help! -how to read tropical fish poly caps?

By Spudgunman

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by zaza
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cap - repair.jpg
    phl-cap-erct.jpg
    C 220 nF.jpg
    C-200pF.jpg
    capacitor.jpg
    tantalum_cap_color.jpg
    Tropical_Fish_Color_Chart_png.jpg
    IMG_3430.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spudgunman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

First - I know there are tables please read my problem before posting another table to the thread here

old poly caps.. I will be honest here they out date me - and I am having trouble understanding how to read the values of the following caps. any old salts out there that remember and know how to decode these three poly caps?

this is a rare amp for old williams games I am trying to rebuild and diagram.

three caps left, center, right. (BTW its not the blue caps - its the 3 "tropical fish" poly caps)

my problem isnt finding a chart its understanding how to read with the chart. for example what if there isnt a 2nd color? like in the 3rd cap in the photo?

also in the photo the middle cap, is it red,yellow,brown,red or just red,yellow,brown, because there is no red allowed for tolerance that I can tell, there isnt a brown either. The charts are nice but my real world use of them is where I am stuck.

IMG_3430.JPGIMG_3430.JPG

Post edited by Spudgunman: further explaining problem

#4 9 years ago

hehe yea I looked at a few charts but I am still confused

so .. red=2 yellow=4 black=0 brown=1

now how do I read them? lets pick on the left one it would be

1,2,"00" or 1200pf?

next..

do i start with Red or yellow and is the colors Red,Yellow,Brown,Red? Or just RedYellowBrown Im lost..

last one really stuck.. its just red? what is that 1pf?

I dont understand how to read if bars or missing or I dont know how the red works onthe full dipped one.. good thing we moved to alpha numeric labeling.. this isnt easy.

#6 9 years ago

whats a EM in relation to these parts?

#8 9 years ago

thanks vid but my problem isnt finding a chart its understanding how to read with the chart. for example what if there isnt a 2nd color? like in the 3rd cap in the photo?

also in the photo the middle cap, is it red,yellow,brown,red or just red,yellow,brown, because there is no red allowed for tolerance that I can tell, there isnt a brown either. The charts are nice but my real world use of them is where I am stuck.

Quoted from Spudgunman:

hehe yea I looked at a few charts but I am still confused
    so .. red=2 yellow=4 black=0 brown=1
    now how do I read them? lets pick on the left one it would be
    1,0 (3rd is 00 or x100) so is that 1000pf?
    next..
    do i start with Red or yellow and is the colors Red,Yellow,Brown,Red? Or just RedYellowBrown Im lost..
    last one really stuck.. its just red? what is that 1pf?
    I dont understand how to read if bars or missing or I dont know how the red works onthe full dipped one.. good thing we moved to alpha numeric labeling.. this isnt easy.

#10 9 years ago

haha old ham, and your photo is of spam.. irony..

put it up to QRZ (popular ham radio page) good idea.

#12 9 years ago

no dot, checked and double checked.

#15 9 years ago

damn you got some nice photo skills for some rat ass caps!

hrm I wonder if my problem is on the middle cap I was calling black brown.. makes a lot more sense.

the little 3rd guy (the small one) I still am stuck on since its just red.

(also should note, I haven't pulled and tested the caps yet the amp isn't working and hence my identification of the color code to match my reading with meter to the coded part, additionally I am creating a schematic for this williams part where I dont think one exists otherwise so trying to be exact on the part ID)

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

The flatbed scanner did the job, not a photocamera
    If you look close to the third capacitor on your picture, it looks there is a slight difference in color.
    Possible red brown, maybe orange.

yea I think your correct there!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spudgunman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-a-old-man-to-help?tu=Spudgunman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.