Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 160 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Monk
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190209_100605 (resized).jpg
    DSC01877 (resized).JPG
    DSC01882 (resized).JPG
    traeger-pellet-grills-tfb65lzb-64_1000 (resized).jpg
    traeger-pellet-grills-tfb38tod-64_1000 (resized).jpg
    C424B4F7-E9E9-409D-B0CC-BD52090675FE (resized).jpeg
    93CE5A67-8641-4FFB-B430-7519DB1E1EDE (resized).jpeg
    61E7665C-4D2C-4CC8-97DD-83A783F2EA0F (resized).jpeg
    152807FC-7A3F-47BF-89B6-FB1C06E35739 (resized).jpeg
    4EECB56C-590F-4D25-991D-57EC13987641 (resized).jpeg
    f41aa323-f18d-4bdd-b5d5-4b4f1c89cca3_1.7e3731ba3aafe28d229687a731535550 (resized).jpeg
    e067dd5b-0719-45de-b5b5-9c81b2683e9a_1.8aa4d817d665914187b291c448d84d70 (resized).jpeg
    7d2d2584-3048-4af8-99ae-d6db69ac111a_1.60a6f184c485202cf9398249904d4d34 (resized).jpeg
    Kamdo (resized).jpg
    kamado3 (resized).jpg
    uyrmppcto6mssrhxiikq (resized).jpg
    There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 5 years ago

Bought some $200 special at home depot and it rusted out (bottom catch pan just disintegrated) and now it has low flame so I'm assuming more has rusted out and is causing issues. I babied it, kept it covered and out of the rain and still it's falling apart after a few years. We live in the pacific NW so there is a lot of moisture. I am prepared to get a weber genesis at around $1k but I want to make sure that is the best option. 10 year warranty seems worth it. Any other grillers out there who have input on grill quality? Are there any other brands worth the money?

I should mention I have propane available but have also been interested in pellet grills. I have a pellet stove and if I can use the same pellets that would be nice, as long as I can sear on one of those which I think is questionable?

#2 5 years ago

My Weber is almost 20 Years old,
    Its still in good shape.
    There are others I'm sure are better, but
    I have no complaints.
    Also, mine sits on my deck all year and
    here in Pa we have a lot of moisture too.
    (I'm on my third weber cover)

#3 5 years ago

This one looks affordable:
    https://www.spotix.com/fire-magic-echelon-diamond-e1060s-gas-grill-on-cart-with-power-burner.html?sel=44032&_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImoG1r_mB4AIVHP7jBx2YVwewEAQYBiABEgJvLPD_BwE

We had a Great Outdoor Grill company grill for several years. Always worked great, held up real well and had a lifetime warranty on about everything. Last year the pressure regulator exploded (had to change my shorts afterwards). That's when I found out the lifetime warranty expired when the lifetime of the company ceased.

#4 5 years ago

Here's some cheap.

Screenshot_20190122-125427 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190122-125427 (resized).png
    #5 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Here's some cheap.
    [quoted image]

At first glance I thought Odin was back lol

#6 5 years ago

Cheap grills always rust. Make sure you get stainless innards, they will last longer and cost a lot more.

However do not ever use a cover. They keep the outside clean but they also keep moisture in and that accelerates the rust issue.

Most grills, even cheap ones use stainless on the outside so they can take rain and snow and still look decent.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Liftserv:

My Weber is almost 20 Years old,

My Weber is about 10 years old. Still looks great. My dad was always replacing his grill. Figured I'd give Weber a shot with the hope of avoiding that. So far so good. One thing a friend told me is the ones they make for Lowes and Home Depot are different than the rest (maybe more cheaply made, not sure). When he called Weber needing a part they asked him if he bought at Lowes/HD since the parts are different. That was also about 10 years ago, so don't know if it's still the case.

#8 5 years ago

Weber genesis is a good choice. Two years zero issues... bought mine before the 2 came out. Be sure to order a king Kong cover for it.

#9 5 years ago

I have a Weber too, live in PNW just like you and I have to give +1 for it. It's really solid, works well and requires minimum maintenance. I've had it for 6 years now and have not had to change or fix anything and it has no rust in it. Regular maintenance, cleaning etc or course is needed but I'd say it's worth the money

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Here's some cheap.

That's exactly what I thought of when I read this one!

Heard good things about the Egg, some pretty good reviews in here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-we-grilling

#11 5 years ago

We have a weber and TBH I am a bit disappointed by it. It is more prone to grease fires than any grill I have ever owned. Mine is about 4 years old and the grill/burners are holding up well but the body/cabinet has some areas of rust. I'm still in search of the perfect grill.

#12 5 years ago

Bought a Weber Genesis 1 grill back in 1995 and still use it. Probably have been through 3 burners, 4 flavorizer bars, 3 sets of grates and 10 igniters. The only thing that doesn't work anymore is the temperature gauge. It's small by today's standards, doesn't have side burners or anything fancy...it just works.

Gen 1 (resized).JPGGen 1 (resized).JPG
    #13 5 years ago
    Q vs P (resized).PNGQ vs P (resized).PNG
    #14 5 years ago

don't be screwing around....

https://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/hybrid-fire-grill/

(either you can buy a super-le - or a shitty new vehicle for what these things cost)..... amazing pieces of engineering tho.

#15 5 years ago

Got my Napoleon Grill in 1997 and it is still going strong! It seemed expensive at the time, but totally worth it.

Replaced the stainless burners once about 10 years ago, only because it came with an extra set.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

I have a Weber too, live in PNW just like you and I have to give +1 for it. It's really solid, works well and requires minimum maintenance. I've had it for 6 years now and have not had to change or fix anything and it has no rust in it. Regular maintenance, cleaning etc or course is needed but I'd say it's worth the money

Thanks. Do you cover it, does it get rain on it?

#17 5 years ago

Thanks for all the information, doing some more research but Weber might be it.

#18 5 years ago

PNW resident also (Woodinville and LFP near Seattle). Got a Weber Genesis with side grill and enclosed bottom in April 2014 (from McLendon). No complaints and still going strong in 2019. I clean it, but am not as good as I should be. It has always had a cover when not in use. My Weber kettle grill lasted 18 years before I sold it for ~$40-$50 (Simpsons yellow model).

Get the Weber.

Get the stainless steel grate if you want to or can.
    Get enclosed bottom, especially if you are getting propane tank model.
    Buy 2 propane tanks at the hardware store and go to UHaul or McLendon or your favorite place to refill them.
    Side burner is most useful in summer when you want to cook corn or beans or whatever and don't want to heat up the kitchen.
    I 2nd the recommendation for King Kong cover.
    The thermometer display on grill cover is great.

Photo is me cooking Thanksgiving turkey on our deck in 2018.

adam_thanksgiving (resized).jpgadam_thanksgiving (resized).jpg
    #19 5 years ago

Weber all day every day.

#20 5 years ago

Weber for the win.

#21 5 years ago

Keep thinking of a Huey Lewis song when I read this title

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Keep thinking of a Huey Lewis song when I read this title

lol.....now I am too....

"I need a new grill....."
    "one that won't burn my meat...."

Keep it clean, guys......

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

Bought some $200 special at home depot and it rusted out (bottom catch pan just disintegrated) and now it has low flame so I'm assuming more has rusted out and is causing issues. I babied it, kept it covered and out of the rain and still it's falling apart after a few years. We live in the pacific NW so there is a lot of moisture. I am prepared to get a weber genesis at around $1k but I want to make sure that is the best option. 10 year warranty seems worth it. Any other grillers out there who have input on grill quality? Are there any other brands worth the money?
    I should mention I have propane available but have also been interested in pellet grills. I have a pellet stove and if I can use the same pellets that would be nice, as long as I can sear on one of those which I think is questionable?

Highly recommend a weber Genesis. After going through crappy grills every couple years, we've had our Genesis for 5 years and it's going strong. If you shop around, you should be able to get it for less if you're lucky with leftover stock in the off-season from last year, although they'll be stocking for this season (at normal pricing) within the next month. If you find one on clearance, you should be able to get it for around $400-$500.

I prefer the regular Genesis with the cabinet doors like we got, but Home Depot has had an unmarked clearance in some stores for the Genesis II E-410 for $420-$490 in some locations since Dec. This one:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Genesis-II-E-410-4-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Black-with-Built-In-Thermometer-62010001/300167543

This enormous Genesis II E-610 has been unmarked clearance at $699 at some HD stores since Dec:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Genesis-II-E-610-6-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Black-with-Built-In-Thermometer-63010001/300159343

If you go looking for it and find stock in-store, have it scanned, regardless of what price the shelf shows to check the price. It may be clearance and not marked on the shelf. If it's not marked down, mention that other stores were clearing them out at the above pricing and maybe the manager will match the price to move the stock. It happens.

#24 5 years ago

You mention pellets grills, I have a traeger grill. I love it! You can smoke, grill and even bake on it! I remember reading that you could sear on it to, but I have never tried so I can not confirm that. I know you can not use pellet for stoves in it as it would affect the flavor and I believe thay also have toxic chemicals in them, how ever you could use the smoker pellets in your stove, but I am sure the pellets for a smoker are a little more then the pellets for a stove!

As for Webers, never owned a gas grill, but if the charcoal grill are any example you should be good! I have had a Weber charcoal grill for over 15 years and it's still going strong!

#25 5 years ago

If you go with a pellet do not use the same pellets you use in your stove. Cooking pellets are more expensive as well. I use an old Weber kettle when using cooking with charcoal. I use a Yoder YS640 pellet smoker for low and slow. It has the option to grill as well. I’ve used it a bit for grilling but usually go with the Weber for basic grilling as charcoal is cheaper. If you go with a pellet I suggest you do some research. Lots of options out there.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

lol.....now I am too....
    "I need a new grill....."
    "one that won't burn my meat...."
    Keep it clean, guys......

one that won't burst into flames
    or roll into the street.

#28 5 years ago

I have owned several Webers, a PK, and currently a DCS. There are lots of tradeoffs with grills unless you want to go with something like the Kalamazoo posted above. I think that the best bet is to get the Weber (parts availability when you need it) that you're happy enough with, upgrade the cooking grate (there's 3rd party folks that make grates that are WAY better than what Weber supplies), and clean it regularly at least to the extent of keeping the burner relatively clean and all gas ports/vents operational. One of the greatest things that I ever did was run gas outside and ditched the propane. Natural gas doesn't burn quite as hot but no more dealing with tanks and refilling them at the local uHaul is worth it.

Even though I have a stupid expensive gas grill for convenience and ease of temp control, there's absolutely no comparison to charcoal. I end up cooking a lot of stuff over my fire pit a just to get the wood grilled flavor if I have the time.

#29 5 years ago

About 7-8 years now, same spot, no cover.

Emblem a little corroded, but looks great and works like a champ.

3F1228CB-3884-48CA-B1AE-EDA0B4B16C23 (resized).jpeg3F1228CB-3884-48CA-B1AE-EDA0B4B16C23 (resized).jpeg

#30 5 years ago

I had a Weber Genesis for well over 10 years and when it came time to get another grill I thought for sure it would be another Weber. Sadly the current generation Weber's are not like the one just a few short years ago. The company used to be a family owned business that has sold to a equity group and as such most manufacturing is moved off shore and cheaper components are used, for example cheaper grade stainless on the burners and grates if equipped . This started with the spirit line and has moved to the Genesis II series in 2017. They are now mostly box store grills and most are imported. After doing some research I wound up with a Napoleon prestige and my Uncle got a Broil king to replace his newer Weber that had issues after a few short years. His prior grill was also a Genesis like mine that was well over 15 years old. It is sad because my old Weber is actually still going ( I gave it to my sister in law). The Napoleon is a wonderful grill even cooking, no hot spots, heats up fast and can easily sear, it has extremely consistent heat on the entire surface so food cooked on the edge is the same as in the middle. Again this is just my experience. Hope this helps a bit. FYI if your looking for a great Charcoal grill check out the PK Kitchen. Fantastic grill. Good luck!

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from jsandjs:

I had a Weber Genesis for well over 10 years and when it came time to get another grill I thought for sure it would be another Weber. Sadly the current generation Weber's are not like the one just a few short years ago. The company used to be a family owned business that has sold to a equity group and as such most manufacturing is moved off shore and cheaper components are used, for example cheaper grade stainless on the burners and grates if equipped . This started with the spirit line and has moved to the Genesis II series in 2017. They are now mostly box store grills and most are imported. After doing some research I wound up with a Napoleon prestige and my Uncle got a Broil king to replace his newer Weber that had issues after a few short years. His prior grill was also a Genesis like mine that was well over 15 years old. It is sad because my old Weber is actually still going ( I gave it to my sister in law). The Napoleon is a wonderful grill even cooking, no hot spots, heats up fast and can easily sear, it has extremely consistent heat on the entire surface so food cooked on the edge is the same as in the middle. Again this is just my experience. Hope this helps a bit. FYI if your looking for a great Charcoal grill check out the PK Kitchen. Fantastic grill. Good luck!

I didn’t realize tgat tgey did this with the Genesis series..thanks.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from jsandjs:

Thanks, I had heard something along these lines elsewhere too. I saw the Napoleon elsewhere and it looked decent, so does the Broil King.

#33 5 years ago

Traeger smokers all the way. I literally do everything on it!

Makes the best hamburgers I've ever had. Also makes the best beef jerkey.

#34 5 years ago

here piggy piggy piggy !

233331.jpg   pig roaster (resized).jpg233331.jpg pig roaster (resized).jpg
    #35 5 years ago
    Quoted from billyboy:

Traeger smokers all the way. I literally do everything on it!
    Makes the best hamburgers I've ever had. Also makes the best beef jerkey.

What about searing/grilling something like steak?

#36 5 years ago

Thanks. Do you cover it, does it get rain on it?

Yes, I keep a waterproof cover on it and I'm about to buy a 2nd cover since the first one is about to break apart

#37 5 years ago

I love Weber grills.
    I upgrade when someone throws out a better one than mine.
    I scored this last month.

IMG_8667 (resized).JPGIMG_8667 (resized).JPG
    #38 5 years ago

pretty amazing what you can find at the curb , usually a good cleaning and it works

#39 5 years ago

Blackstone... my favorite non pinball purchase of last year

B7B0B61A-8CA8-471C-9D7F-40D64CE5DF53 (resized).jpegB7B0B61A-8CA8-471C-9D7F-40D64CE5DF53 (resized).jpeg
    #40 5 years ago

Not sure what I have...I'll check when I get home....

IMG_4153 (resized).JPGIMG_4153 (resized).JPGsnow porch 2 (resized).jpgsnow porch 2 (resized).jpg
    #41 5 years ago
    Quoted from jsandjs:

I had a Weber Genesis for well over 10 years and when it came time to get another grill I thought for sure it would be another Weber. Sadly the current generation Weber's are not like the one just a few short years ago. The company used to be a family owned business that has sold to a equity group and as such most manufacturing is moved off shore and cheaper components are used, for example cheaper grade stainless on the burners and grates if equipped . This started with the spirit line and has moved to the Genesis II series in 2017. They are now mostly box store grills and most are imported.

If true, this is so sad. Makes some sense that many of us recommending Webers have had them for several years. Good motivation to do a better job on upkeep and cleaning. Maybe it would make sense to watch Craigslist for a used Weber (unsure how often they show up).

It could be that a new Weber is still worthwhile, but it would require a little more upkeep. They still offer a 10-year warranty on some models. In Western Washington, even though we have a lot of moisture, we don't have the temperature extremes of other areas, meaning it's possible to keep a grill going a long time.

If you go Weber in the ~1k range, I suggest the 330 or 335 models. That extra sear burner is useful sometimes, especially for indirect cooking. I can turn on one sear burner and burner closest to the edge, and on my older model those two keep the interior warm enough to cook 2 turkeys.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/genesis-ii-series/61016001.html
    https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/genesis-ii-series/61006001.html

-Adam (again)

#42 5 years ago

http://www.blazngrillworks.com/

ask for Tim... Nuff said.... ;P

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Adaminski:

If true, this is so sad. Makes some sense that many of us recommending Webers have had them for several years. Good motivation to do a better job on upkeep and cleaning. Maybe it would make sense to watch Craigslist for a used Weber (unsure how often they show up).
    It could be that a new Weber is still worthwhile, but it would require a little more upkeep. They still offer a 10-year warranty on some models. In Western Washington, even though we have a lot of moisture, we don't have the temperature extremes of other areas, meaning it's possible to keep a grill going a long time.
    If you go Weber in the ~1k range, I suggest the 330 or 335 models. That extra sear burner is useful sometimes, especially for indirect cooking. I can turn on one sear burner and burner closest to the edge, and on my older model those two keep the interior warm enough to cook 2 turkeys.
    https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/genesis-ii-series/61016001.html
    https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/genesis-ii-series/61006001.html
    -Adam (again)

The biggest problem with the newest Webers seems to be super-cheap stainless, like the off-brand and no-brand grills use. Those Napoleon grills look sweet. When the Weber Genesis we have now dies (likely another 5 years, at least), I'll probably not be looking at Weber to replace it. I'll want something with a similar level of workmanship and stainless steel quality.

Not very attractive. Those Napoleon (and other) grills are much better looking. At that price, I would expect more refined design aesthetics. I want performance and looks.

#44 5 years ago

Traeger Timberline 850.
    Pellet grill that gets up to 550, you can lower the bottom rack for searing. I do a reverse sear on steaks myself. It’s got WiFi so I can run and monitor it with an app on my phone even when I’m not home.
    Nuff said
    RVH

38F8A0F0-0337-4BD9-9F80-5F51DC5A6CB4 (resized).jpeg38F8A0F0-0337-4BD9-9F80-5F51DC5A6CB4 (resized).jpeg
    #45 5 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Traeger Timberline 850.
    Pellet grill that gets up to 550, you can lower the bottom rack for searing. I do a reverse sear on steaks myself. It’s got WiFi so I can run and monitor it with an app on my phone even when I’m not home.
    Nuff said
    RVH
    [quoted image]

Thanks... even though it seems a lot of people don't have them, I am intrigued by the pellet ones. My mom has one and says the stuff she makes is awesome.

#46 5 years ago

My pellet smoker/grill has been one of the best purchases I ever made. Wife didn’t like the idea at first but has come around. It wasn’t so much about getting a pellet smoker it was more about price with her.

#47 5 years ago

I highly encourage you to research a pellet grill. Since we bought ours about a year ago, we've probably used the gas grill less than once a month, but the pellet grill multiple times a week.

The premiere brand is Traeger, but I purchased a well featured Pit Boss and it is great!

https://pitboss-grills.com/Shop-Pit-Boss/Grills/wood-pellet

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I highly encourage you to research a pellet grill. Since we bought ours about a year ago, we've probably used the gas grill less than once a month, but the pellet grill multiple times a week.
    The premiere brand is Traeger, but I purchased a well featured Pit Boss and it is great!
    https://pitboss-grills.com/Shop-Pit-Boss/Grills/wood-pellet

Thanks.. I'm a bit worried about the time it takes to heat up and cook, compared to gas. Do you have any issues or thoughts on that? Right now I can go turn on the grill, about 10 minutes later I can sear a steak. Will the reverse searing (slow cook first, then sear) take longer than a normal gas grill cooking time?

#50 5 years ago

Thanks.. I'm a bit worried about the time it takes to heat up and cook, compared to gas. Do you have any issues or thoughts on that? Right now I can go turn on the grill, about 10 minutes later I can sear a steak. Will the reverse searing (slow cook first, then sear) take longer than a normal gas grill cooking time?

Yes on the reverse sear. You will be cooking at a lower temp then cranking the grill up to sear when it meets the desired internal temp. Mine takes a little while to heat up, but you got to remember you're cooking with a fire and the grilling chamber will take time to heat up. For smoking I give it 15 mins or so to get to 225-250 for smoking.

I agree with the posters above and I said it myself earlier in the thread. Pellet grill/smokers have come along way and range from $600 up to $2k+. I would say look at multiple ones within your budget, at least research online. The only one's I could look at local were the Traegers. From what I can gather from looking into buying one of these a few years ago is that they all will make good food once you get the hang of the cooker. Some just have more bells and whistles, or are made from better material. Is one made in the USA something you care about? A lot of the lower end models are made in China. Not saying they suck, but something to keep in mind. I went with the Yoder YS640. Plenty of cooking space and built like a tank. Thing weighs 350 lbs. This is my first smoker and likely my last unless I move to a different type of smoker. They are very versatile and I can cook anything I would want or need on it. The best feature I think on the YS640 is being able to adjust the temp in 5 degree increments. So I can cook at 180 degrees or upwards of 600 degrees. My grill is older, but they will make updates to the firmware if people complain. It's a pretty good smoker and I would recommend it. https://www.yodersmokers.com/ys640-pellet-grill.html

There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-a-new-grill?hl=blacksun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.