Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 160 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Monk
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190209_100605 (resized).jpg
    DSC01877 (resized).JPG
    DSC01882 (resized).JPG
    traeger-pellet-grills-tfb65lzb-64_1000 (resized).jpg
    traeger-pellet-grills-tfb38tod-64_1000 (resized).jpg
    C424B4F7-E9E9-409D-B0CC-BD52090675FE (resized).jpeg
    93CE5A67-8641-4FFB-B430-7519DB1E1EDE (resized).jpeg
    61E7665C-4D2C-4CC8-97DD-83A783F2EA0F (resized).jpeg
    152807FC-7A3F-47BF-89B6-FB1C06E35739 (resized).jpeg
    4EECB56C-590F-4D25-991D-57EC13987641 (resized).jpeg
    f41aa323-f18d-4bdd-b5d5-4b4f1c89cca3_1.7e3731ba3aafe28d229687a731535550 (resized).jpeg
    e067dd5b-0719-45de-b5b5-9c81b2683e9a_1.8aa4d817d665914187b291c448d84d70 (resized).jpeg
    7d2d2584-3048-4af8-99ae-d6db69ac111a_1.60a6f184c485202cf9398249904d4d34 (resized).jpeg
    Kamdo (resized).jpg
    kamado3 (resized).jpg
    uyrmppcto6mssrhxiikq (resized).jpg
    There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 5 years ago

I’ve used many grills thru the years. Infrared grill is the ONLY way to go. Cooks quick .... the entire surface is the same temperature.... no flare ups.... juiciest meats you’ll ever eat.

#52 5 years ago

I went inexpensive (~$330 shipped) and small with my pellet grill, the Davy Crockett. Small enough to use for tailgating and big enough that I cooked a small turkey on it. If you're curious about pellet grills, want to control your grill with an app, and don't want the expense and size of a big grill, it's not bad.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Boondocker:

Got my Napoleon Grill in 1997 and it is still going strong! It seemed expensive at the time, but totally worth it.
    Replaced the stainless burners once about 10 years ago, only because it came with an extra set.

I work in a pool/spa business and about 4 years ago they started selling Napolean grills. A lot were sold over this time and not one complaint or problem from any customers...including 4 of us(owners and employees) that bought them. Love the infrared burner for quick sear. Built well.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

Thanks. Do you cover it, does it get rain on it?

Our Weber is 15 yrs old. Needs new flavorizor bars, but that’s it. I don’t cover it, EVER. This drives my neighbors and father in law bat shit crazy. But it’s in fantastic shape

#55 5 years ago

I have the Weber kettle charcoal grill. I have owned the brand for decades it's all I need and easy to replace with a new one.

Way back when we had a gas grill the gas line malfunctioned and caught on fire. Never replaced it.

#56 5 years ago

Stainless Weber Genesis. I’ve had one for 12 years and it still looks nice. If I ever needed another grill I would buy the same thing.

#57 5 years ago

What you want to “grill” should tell you what kind of “grill” you should buy.?!
    A wise man once said,
    maby!

#58 5 years ago

I'd like to get a Weber but it sounds like quality is suffering in the lower end models now. Not sure if we can confirm that at all, but Napoleon sounds like a strong contender. Pellet doesn't quite have my sold... I suppose if I cared enough about flavor lol.. I do like smoking meats but it's lost on the rest of my family so it's usually just "grill up this steak" and that's about it. Maybe if I had a pellet grill I'd use it more to that advantage, but I doubt it. Got 3 propane tanks already too. I think I'm going to go Napoleon with infrared.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

Bought some $200 special at home depot and it rusted out (bottom catch pan just disintegrated) and now it has low flame so I'm assuming more has rusted out and is causing issues. I babied it, kept it covered and out of the rain and still it's falling apart after a few years. We live in the pacific NW so there is a lot of moisture. I am prepared to get a weber genesis at around $1k but I want to make sure that is the best option. 10 year warranty seems worth it. Any other grillers out there who have input on grill quality? Are there any other brands worth the money?
    I should mention I have propane available but have also been interested in pellet grills. I have a pellet stove and if I can use the same pellets that would be nice, as long as I can sear on one of those which I think is questionable?

I need a new Harry Houdini

#60 5 years ago

Agreed on the RecTec pellet grill. Just got one a couple weeks ago and love it. Great grill, great customer service, has WIFI to control from a distance if you want. You can sear on it (gets up to 600 or so degrees).

I have had Webers previously and loved them. My last one was a Weber Genesis and it was terrific. After using propane for the last twenty years, I was ready for a change. Loved the concept of the pellet grill and am glad I made the switch.

#61 5 years ago

Big. Green. Egg.

Game over. Nothing comes close. It’s the Ferrari 488 of grills. Worth every penny.

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Big. Green. Egg.
    Game over. Nothing comes close. It’s the Ferrari 488 of grills. Worth every penny.

It's like the Ferrari with a crank start! Not conducive to 20 minute meals.

#63 5 years ago

I inherited this beast when my sister moved out of state. Not sure what brand it is, but I think it was higher end. I will know more when it thaws out. Propane for life!

0122192000 (resized).jpg0122192000 (resized).jpg

#64 5 years ago

Second the big green egg. Lifetime warranty and so easy to hold temp forever. Gets 700+ degrees if need be. Love. It.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyapple:

Second the big green egg

Third. Well, I have a Kamado Joe but same idea.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

About 7-8 years now, same spot, no cover.
    Emblem a little corroded, but looks great and works like a champ.
    [quoted image]

This is exactly what I have. Left outside with no cover in central New York about 5 years old works and looks great. Just brushed 14” of snow off it last night to cook steaks.

#67 5 years ago

We have a Weber Spirit that is 8 years old now. Love it. Love that is hasn't rusted out like the Char Broil I had before it. Love that the mom and pop store I got it from had the same price on it as Home Depot (would much prefer to help hometown stores). Love that if I need a part, I can get a part and not have to replace the whole thing.

Webers do need maintenance, just like anything, but it has been fantastic for 8 years and I expect it will be for many to come.

We did have to replace the "flavorizer bars" and I bought new grates (although the old ones would have been okay for a bit yet. $100 and it's as good as new. I was replacing the crap grills every 2 or 3 years. In my old age I have learned it's better to pay more now to get a quality product. Some Weber grills are made in China now, so if that matters to you watch for that, but some are still made in the USA. And another thing I learned about Weber grills is that Weber sets the pricing, not the stores, so more than likely what you see the price as at the big box stores is the same price you'll see at a mom and pop if you have one around you.

Hope you can find something you like and that will give you years of great service.

Chris

#68 5 years ago

Love my Weber, over 10 years old and still looks and grills great. I am considering adding a Traeger smoker this spring to my patio. I was skeptical on the Traeger smokers until I had tasted the ribs and brisket it can produce. Holy smoke(literally) did the ribs and brisket turn out great. You really need a smoker to make good ribs and brisket. Get a Weber and a Traeger (;

#69 5 years ago

Don’t forget that smokers when using indirect heat are like outdoor ovens that allow you to add smoke flavor. They are very versatile and I love cooking roasts in them. We started doing rib roasts for Christmas a few years ago. I cook it at 250 until about 100 degrees internal then wrap and cook until desired temp. I think 125 is considered rare I usually shoot for 140 or so. I then move my deflector shield and crank up the temp and sear the outside over the open fire. Cooks up great with the temps and doneness being even. Only the outside is seared and the inside is pink and juicy as hell.

#70 5 years ago

If anyone wants some ideas for recipes or tips this is a good place to look. https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

If anyone wants some ideas for recipes or tips this is a good place to look.

I use the Traeger app. Lots of good recipes and easy to use.

#72 5 years ago

Go Komodo, or go home.

They use a tiny amount of fuel, so you don't have to spend all day messing with them.

They are excellent smokers too.

Get one and then just add on a Blutooth thermometer - you'll be making brisket like a boss

gke98yv4rncj (resized).jpggke98yv4rncj (resized).jpg
    #73 5 years ago

My setup is a large big green egg and a Roccbox for pizza. Works beautifully. My Weber spirit hasn’t been used in awhile but it served me well. No plans on dragging it to the curb, great grill.

#74 5 years ago

I bought a Weber Spirit something like 5-6 years ago. Not sure it's all that. Parts have rusted and just had to repaint the inside because paint was peeling. I don't go crazy with it so it works well for what I need. Definitely better than the cheap box store grills. Grill I had before was completely rusting out, didn't cook evenly, and was pretty much worthless. I used to keep it covered to try and keep it nice. Like others said, not a good idea since it only traps in the moisture and debris. Weather is harsh here so probably cannot expect anything outside to stay that nice.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

My setup is a large big green egg and a Roccbox for pizza.

Wood fired pizza rocks!

Especially Bacon & Shrimp

I use a pizza stone in my Big Black Egg. Takes 4 minutes to cook, so it's great when people are over and someone has special dietary needs. They think you went through a lot of trouble to make them a custom pizza, but it really only takes a few minutes.

#76 5 years ago

My favorite is bacon, ham and pineapple. Shrimp? Sounds like a great idea.

#77 5 years ago

Weber Kettles can do it all,with the slow & sear by ABC BBQ and a Vortex for chicken wings!

IMG_1158 (resized).JPGIMG_1158 (resized).JPGIMG_1196 (resized).JPGIMG_1196 (resized).JPG
    #78 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hogey:

Agreed on the RecTec pellet grill. Just got one a couple weeks ago and love it. Great grill, great customer service, has WIFI to control from a distance if you want. You can sear on it (gets up to 600 or so degrees).
    I have had Webers previously and loved them. My last one was a Weber Genesis and it was terrific. After using propane for the last twenty years, I was ready for a change. Loved the concept of the pellet grill and am glad I made the switch.

I bought a Rec Tec last summer and made some tasty things with it. Can’t wait until winter is over and I can get going again. I read a lot of pellet reviews and decided on this one for looks, construction and the six year warranty.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Weber Kettles can do it all,with the slow & sear by ABC BBQ and a Vortex for chicken wings![quoted image][quoted image]

Those are nice! Think it’s the cook, not the grill.

#80 5 years ago

If your wife is forcing you to get a gas grill, you can check here if you local HD is clearancing the Webber Spirit II S-310 for $350

Cast iron grates, 10 year warranty.

https://brickseek.com/home-depot-inventory-checker/?sku=303128863
    weber-natural-gas-grills-49000001-64_1000 (resized).jpgweber-natural-gas-grills-49000001-64_1000 (resized).jpg

If you take a display model, you get another 10% off, making it $315

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

My setup is a large big green egg and a Roccbox for pizza.

Glad to see you’re using the Rocbox! I was worried you might have given up.
    I bought a pizza turning peal for mine, it’s fun but not that easy to use. I also bought a 55lb bag of Caputo pizza flour, Its good for cooking at over 700 degrees and is great.

Quoted from Electrocute:

My favorite is bacon, ham and pineapple. Shrimp? Sounds like a great idea.

I am a bit worried about you’re choice for toppings though.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #82 5 years ago

You can check here if you local HD is clearancing the Genesis II E-610 6-Burner for $699:

https://brickseek.com/home-depot-inventory-checker/?sku=300159343

and here for the Weber Genesis II E-410 4-Burner, clearanced for $490:

https://brickseek.com/home-depot-inventory-checker/?sku=300167543

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If your wife is forcing you to get a gas grill

#84 5 years ago

I have a Weber Summit that I have had for 7-8 years and absolutely love it. No issues whatsoever. I had a few of the Sear’s ones before and none ever lasted more than 2 seasons.

59971B75-BE58-4F1B-9742-CF06D75C2760 (resized).jpeg59971B75-BE58-4F1B-9742-CF06D75C2760 (resized).jpeg
    #85 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If your wife is forcing you to get a gas grill

The owner of the local grill store told me many years ago:

If a couple comes in, they always buy a gas grill, always.

They will walk in, drool over the Green Eggs by the door. Sometimes he gets as far as putting the sale in the computer, but the moment the wife asks "This can hook up to the tank we already have, right?", it's all over.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You can check here if you local HD is clearancing the Genesis II E-610 6-Burner for $699:
    https://brickseek.com/home-depot-inventory-checker/?sku=300159343
    and here for the Weber Genesis II E-410 4-Burner, clearanced for $490:
    https://brickseek.com/home-depot-inventory-checker/?sku=300167543

Note that brickseek isn't always right, so checking the store personally is always best.

#87 5 years ago

We bought a Weber Summit about 5 years ago. Love that thing. It's holding up great. Having a quality grill makes a huge difference in cooking. I always had cheap grills but I get infinitely better results on the Weber.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Note that brickseek isn't always right, so checking the store personally is always best.

Exactly.

Someone could buy the last unit 5 minutes before you get there.

And if an employee sees the clearance price, he'll buy the last ones, and resell them on CL

NEVER tell an employee on the phone the clearance price, they will take them all before you get there.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If your wife is forcing you to get a gas grill, you can check here if you local HD is clearancing the Webber Spirit II S-310 for $350
    Cast iron grates, 10 year warranty.
    https://brickseek.com/home-depot-inventory-checker/?sku=303128863
    [quoted image]
    If you take a display model, you get another 10% off, making it $315

WOAH! Thanks!

#90 5 years ago

Why not have the best of both worlds? I bought a Woodwind about a year ago and love it. It's the best grill I've ever owned.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly.
    Someone could buy the last unit 5 minutes before you get there.
    And if an employee sees the clearance price, he'll buy the last ones, and resell them on CL
    NEVER tell an employee on the phone the clearance price, they will take them all before you get there.

I've frequently had situations where brickseek doesn't show the clearance or the clearance price, but in-store it's marked down. I more or less just use it to see if a store carries the item, but I don't trust the inventory or pricing.

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I've frequently had situations where brickseek doesn't show the clearance or the clearance price, but in-store it's marked down. I more or less just use it to see if a store carries the item, but I don't trust the inventory or pricing.

I 'm a contractor so I'm in Home Depot every other morning,last July they had
    2 Weber copper tops for $100 each.I couldn't get them in my truck quick enough!

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Nothing is perfect, especially if you are looking for items on secret clearance.

On the BBQ forums, people have already verified those clearance prices above.

But, some stores are not selling the Webers on clearance yet, so they are still asking $1100

At least if the Brickseek shows stock, and says "clearance" at your store, you know it's $699

So, make sure there is stock at YOUR store AND make sure YOUR store says clearance.

You can call to make sure they have them in stock, but DO NOT TELL THE ASSOCIATE THE CLEARANCE PRICE!!!!!!!!!!

And if you take the floor sample, ask for the 10% discount!

Happy grill hunting.....

#94 5 years ago

Check out Napoleon. Built like a tank. Had mine over 20 years. Still going strong.

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

About 7-8 years now, same spot, no cover.
    Emblem a little corroded, but looks great and works like a champ.
    [quoted image]

I have this grill but with the side burner. I think I've had it 6 or 7 years. the bottom totally rotted out along with the bottom of the sides. The main box rotted as well. They replaced some of it under warranty, but not all of it. The new model isn't enclosed, I wonder if the enclosure was holding the moisture. It has been a few inches deep in snow a handful of times. While I was waiting for the parts to come in I bought a Green Egg knock off at Costco. I forget what I paid, it was 50% because of off season. It's amazing. Definitely a lot more work than the gas though.

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Check out Napoleon. Built like a tank. Had mine over 20 years. Still going strong.

I have my eyes on a $1k model but if I can pickup a cheap weber at HD then I might do that.

#97 5 years ago

My feeling with our local weather is that a bbq costs you about $100 per year. If you buy a cheap $350 grill, expect to get 3-4 years out of it before it begins to rust out. You can get universal burners and grills to replace the parts that rust out, but they’re never as good as the originals and also mean that your $350 bbq is more expensive then the initial purchase price. $1000 bbq’s ya might get a good decade out of them before you have issues.

I’ve got so tired of propane, I only bbq on charcoal now. I enjoy the experience. I don’t want to just turn on the tank and add meat to flame. I enjoy getting the charcoal started, sit around enjoying the afternoon, smoke a joint and avoid the family. It takes longer then propane, it costs more money then propane, but tastes better imho and I’ll never go back.

#98 5 years ago

My wife got me a Big Green Egg for my 30th birthday and it's been amazing for 8 years. With the electric coil starter it is ready in minutes to grill the best steak or burgers on earth. I will never ever go back to gas.

#99 5 years ago

It really depends on what you are looking for. The Big Green Egg (or other Komodo) are great. If you want Gas, Weber is good, I have a Broil King, and have been very happy. https://www.broilkingbbq.com/grills/baron/baron_s590
    I also have a Portable Kitchen, that I inherited, it's easily 40 years old, If you want to look at Charcoal. https://www.pkgrills.com/the-pk-grill-smoker-classic-silver/
    If you really want to get out there, you can go with La Caja China.

Good luck and Great Grilling.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from LargemouthAss:

My wife got me a Big Green Egg for my 30th birthday and it's been amazing for 8 years. With the electric coil starter it is ready in minutes to grill the best steak or burgers on earth. I will never ever go back to gas.

Ditto, it's a Smoker, Pizza Oven and Grill. The Electric Coil Starter is a must. I use the ACE Hardware Diamond Coals and they are smokeless, which is good when I don't want to take a shower after grilling. However my Bro-In-Law makes some of the best BBQ on one of those big round Kettle Webers. On the Egg, we have a pizza stone and get those Papa Murphy Pizzas and they turn out amazing. Their Greek one is the bomb to serve at parties.

There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-a-new-grill/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.