10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180531_224800~2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider double_d.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I do not have much experience with the electronics of a pinball machine and I have a question.
I want to hook up a 12v dc led strip in my F-14 game. I'm not sure exactly where I'm going to place it since there is not a lip at the top of the pf so I'm still open to different points where I can find 12v dc. I did find a pin on the psb connector 3j6 that has a 12v dc unregulated pin. Pin 2 and 6. Would this work for what I need or is there a better place to get the 12v from? I'm trying to light up the upper pf area. I did find that an 12v unregulated circuit is not exactly 12v but usually higher. Also what is the difference between +/- 12v? I do appreciate the help, thanks.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

You do NOT want to use an unregulated power source. If there's not a regulated 12V DC option in the game, a lot of users will simply drop an ATX Switching Power supply (used in arcades, PCs, etc...) and pull the 12V from there. The power supply can either be plugged into the extra outlet in your game, or have the cable fed through the rear hole to a wall socket.

Thanks for the info. I feel alot better using a power supply than poking wires into connectors hoping it works. Thanks wxforecaster.

#10 10 years ago

Wow..Lots of great advice. Thanks everyone. Since I could do it today, I went ahead and put it in pin 3-12v dc and 1-ground. Works great and an easy fix. I'll let you know if it continues to work with no problems. Thanks Ken

dk - I like the look of the power taps and down the road will try this in at least one of my machines, probably the BSD.
I like the security of fused sources. Thanks

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballbrat:

Are you going to post a pic of the finished game ?

Not ready for pics yet. As soon as I figure where I'm going to locate the strip for the best result of lighting the upper pf. Now that I have the voltage located I might end up with spotlights instead. Thanks again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider double_d.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-12v-for-an-led-strip-on-my-f-14?tu=double_d and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.