Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Tropicalcats
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

After years of working on restoring a 70 Dodge Challenger I've decided to turn some attention to my Riverboat Gambler. Electronically the game is pretty sound. A couple of the items that I want to address are in the cabinet and repairing some of the gouges, the legs/levelers and the coin door. So that brings me to this question. I have seen pictures of the riverboat gambler with two coin slots and like mine with three coin slots. I may have even seen one with one coin slot. Why the difference? Did Williams make them with different coin doors? If so why? What would be the coin door that the RG would've came with from the factory? Why do I have s hole drilled in my coins door?

image (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago

It was whatever it was ordered with. Probably cheaper with less slots/mechanisms. I don't see a hole, you are just missing a carriage bolt.

#3 2 years ago

3 coin slots is good for operators that don't stop by the machines as often. Still takes money even if 2 slots are jammed

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

3 coin slots is good for operators that don't stop by the machines as often. Still takes money even if 2 slots are jammed

Ok that makes sense. Who sells replacement Coin/return slots? mine are busted up. This is also a better picture of the holes I was talking about, why the holes?

image (resized).jpeg

#5 2 years ago

Most the time single slot and 3 slot are overseas pins that came back . Usually 2 slot doors are domestic

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Tropicalcats:

This is also a better picture of the holes I was talking about, why the holes?

Previous operator put a plate over the coin slot to prevent people using that slot.

Why? Too cheap to buy another mech? No idea.

#7 2 years ago

I believe that is the model people have a hard time finding replacement parts for.

You may be better off to just purchase a universal 2 slot coin door from Happ Controls. Or, I think there are others selling replacement WPC coin doors on eBay.

BTW, the single slot doors were used in Europe and actually use a different coin mech that can be programmed to use up to 8 different coin denominations at once.

#8 2 years ago

Those holes may have also been used to mount a token "screen" or Q-bit plate. This allowed only your style of token and prevented the competition's from being used.

#9 2 years ago

Operators could order their machine with one, two, or three slots. However, in general, the single slot doors were intended for export to other countries and these doors included a programmable electronic coin acceptor. Two slot doors were the most often used for domestic USA locations. Three slot doors sometimes were sent to Canada, Mexico, and Australia, but some USA operators wanted them too.

Pinball Life stocks the most parts for your door:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=8&pg=1

#10 2 years ago

They also made 1 slot doors that used the traditional style coin mech instead of the comparator (mech that takes multiple types of coins, and determines the value of the coin when it is dropped).

The holes are likely where a piece of metal was riveted to the front of the slot to only allow a certain type of coin or token to pass through. Not uncommon at all. This game is likely a reimported game where a previous owner put 25 cent legends in the 3 slots in place of the original foreign currency legends.

Generally, 2 slot doors were domestic and 1 and 3 were export. But not always. WMS would sell you what you wanted

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

WMS would sell you what you wanted

Or install what they had if they were out of something.

LTG : )

#12 2 years ago

Great info thanks. Is there anyway using the serial number on the game to track where the game was originally sold ? What info can I get using the serial number?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 72.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orange Park, FL
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, MD
$ 27.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside