(Topic ID: 151847)

I moved a stern lightning now it won't boot M200 (solved)

By Okarcades

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Okarcades
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I moved my stern lightning from on location to my house and now they game won't boot. I made sure all connectors where correct I had pictures of before I took the connectors off. Now the game will not boot. The only thing I did before I turned it on was reflow some of the solder on the sound board because the background sound was not working.

I tested voltage and everything seems ok. When the game is turned on the mpu LED only quickly flashes once and doesn't come back on. The only thing that works is the GI.

Anything stupid I'm missing or did my mpu just die after moving it?

#2 8 years ago

make sure the IC's are seated?

#3 8 years ago

That sounds like a 5v issue. Check the uppermost right connector on the solenoid board.

#4 8 years ago

Have you checked the tilt ball, pendulum and tilt switches? I had a pendulum on one of my games get stuck after moving it up the stairs once. Was pulling my hair for about an hour until I lifted the playfield and saw it.

#5 8 years ago

The tilt and slam switch are all good. I will reseat the ics tonight and I'll check the 5v coming from the top right as well. Thanks everybuddy

#6 8 years ago

Start with the fuses on the rectifier, test them only after popping each one out of the fuse clip. Also measure the TP's on the rectifier

#7 8 years ago

All fuses and test points measured good

#8 8 years ago

How do the rectifier TP's match up to the MPU test points?

#9 8 years ago

Move it back to it's original spot and see if it works. You may have a machine that susceptible to the Moon's lunar electro gravitational waves. Ever see a older Bally or Stern solid state that all the displays seem to be strobing? Well, there you go.

#10 8 years ago

Moving a pin across the room causes more failures than everything else combined!

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Moving a pin across the room causes more failures than everything else combined!

I had a somewhat similar issue once that turned out to be an intermittent short caused by a loose screw hanging off a grounding braid...very hard to find.

#12 8 years ago

I will check all those and check back. Thanks for the support everybody.

#13 8 years ago

Did you take the backbox off? If so, check the square Molex connectors in the head (6 pin, I think) and make sure the wire colors match. The connectors aren't keyed so it's easy to mix them up.

#14 8 years ago

I will check that too thanks

#15 8 years ago

There should be a lone braided grounding wire running between the cabinet and backbox--have you made sure that it was attached?

#16 8 years ago

Yes it was detached after I moved it and tried it for the first time. Then after the no boot issue I fixed it. Now it still doesnt work. Would trying to turn it on without that ground cause some problems?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Yes it was detached after I moved it and tried it for the first time. Then after the no boot issue I fixed it. Now it still doesnt work. Would trying to turn it on without that ground cause some problems?

I would assume so. Can't say I've tried it intentionally, though.

#18 8 years ago

That braided strap is the 'safety' ground that runs all over grounding metal parts that might could shock (even kill if they're wet and barefoot) someone. The circuit boards carry their own grounds through the connectors. The strap is not necessary for the game to boot.

#19 8 years ago

Does it do anything when you turn it on? Any flashes on the MPU or beeps from the MPU?

You mentioned that you did work on the sound board. Try unplugging the ribbon and power cables on the sound board and try again. A bad sound board will keep the game from booting. Also, because there are two ribbon cables make sure you are not off a row or skipping any pins. Make sure the cables are attached in the right order. There should be 2 open (unused) pins on the left side of the sound board and MPU.

#20 8 years ago

You guys were right schudel5.

I was off one pin on the sound board ribbons. Put them back and everything worked perfectly. Thanks a bunch to everyone that chimed in pinside is great. I feel like a real dummy for not finding some things no so simple. Thanks again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 125.00
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-moved-a-stern-lightning-now-it-wont-boot-m200 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.