(Topic ID: 96907)

I am working on my last two restorations....at least for now

By Bryan_Kelly

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CheesePumpTIm.jpg
    20140629_175714.jpg
    12447_340.jpg
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from limelime20:

SO you know absolutely about nothing from above...so keep your mouth shut....

Nice.....Lloyd needs no help from me defending his posts, but must say that this one from you seems like it's out of left field.....no need for harshness......

#52 9 years ago

too much wine hijacked my brain...apologies...forgot to add smiley faces.---.crawling back under my rock.---
    good luck Bryan.!

#53 9 years ago

Ut oh.....another thread I should have skipped over......I do like my WOZ, btw.....lol....

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

What the *heck*? How big is this place that it would cost that much in utilities *alone*? That's absolutely crazy.

Taxes on a building could easily be $300+ a month.

Heat $300

Electric $100

Insurance $200

Water $50

It's not hard to imagine over $1000 a month without any rent/loan.

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Taxes on a building could easily be $300+ a month.
    Heat $300
    Electric $100
    Insurance $200
    Water $50
    It's not hard to imagine over $1000 a month without any rent/loan.

Taxes, in my mind, are not included in utilities. Utilities are, like you mentioned, electric, water, and gas. Insurance I could see being included, perhaps, but $1000 a month in gas/water/electric is absolutely *crazy* money, depending on the size of the facility. I cannot for the life of me imagine that the size of the building in question is anywhere close to the size which would require that kind of money for utilities, especially over the length of the year where one expense will rise and the inverse expense would disappear (i.e. you may need gas heat in the winter, but obviously not in the summer, where A/C builds the electric bill). You'd need a *ton* of space to spend $12,000 a year. Heck, even with taxes, I'm having a hard time reaching that number.

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

What the *heck*? How big is this place that it would cost that much in utilities *alone*? That's absolutely crazy.

Sorry for the confusion, but the $1000 is for the winter months. That's why I mentioned Helene wants to shut it down once it gets cold. Summer months aren't bad at all, although it can get a bit warm.

This place ain't anything pretty, but it's functional. The front is the wood shop and is about 1500 sq ft. The back is more the mechanic part and is about 2500 sq ft. Both parts are very poorly insulated. The barn was made with clay type blocks while the back was more modern blocks. Neither part has any interior walls with insulation. The ceilings aren't much better either. Glen used to say, "this place has more cracks then the girl's swim team."

In fact, five of the windows in the barn were original single pane windows. Before he died, Glen bought glass block windows to replace these but never got around to putting them in. My brother and I took care of it for Helene.

I'll take some pics next time I'm there.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from dug:

I hope this isn't the end of "pin footies" ???

Yes, it would be.

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I know the kick starter thing was a joke,

Yes, it was. I don't need any handouts. I'll be just fine.

#59 9 years ago

I'd hate to think we've seen the last of your work. I know you love this hobby, so I'm betting you'll find a way to keep it going. Best of luck Bryan.

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Neither part has any interior walls with insulation. The ceilings aren't much better either. Glen used to say, "this place has more cracks then the girl's swim team."

In fact, five of the windows in the barn were original single pane windows

Horrific heat bill explained. Last winter that 1000 bucks a month might not have even covered it. Hopefully you relocate to a more energy efficient building and continue with your excellent restoration work.

#61 9 years ago

Just curious why you say you wouldn;t work out of your garage? Not big enough to do spraying/cabinet work?

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

Just curious why you say you wouldn;t work out of your garage? Not big enough to do spraying/cabinet work?

Whether I had the room or not, it's mostly about the mess. Hopefully I can figure something out. If not, I'll still be involved in pinball in some way.

#63 9 years ago

If you move to SC, I'll go in on starting a TechShop here with you.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Just move to St.George and you can use my shop for the same deal you had with Glen ! Maybe you can come up in September and see what I am offering !!

Is it weird that the first thing I thought of when I saw your offer is "Bryan Kelly could never move to Utah..."

From WIkipedia... Current Utah law sets a limit of 3.2 percent alcohol by weight (4 percent by volume) in beer sold at grocery and convenience stores and at establishments operating under a "beer only" type license, such as taverns, beer bars and some restaurants.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from popeboy:

Current Utah law sets a limit of 3.2 percent alcohol

Most beer is 3.2 and if you are lucky it could be as high a 3.6% The difference between a twelve pack of beer bought in Nevada Vs Utah twelve pack is the Nevada beer would equal to 13 Utah beers.. Big deal !

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Most beer is 3.2 and if you are lucky it could be as high a 3.6%

Here in SC we have a lot of high alcohol beers. The law here allows up to 17.72% alc. by volume.

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Here in SC we have a lot of high alcohol beers

So does Utah, you have to go to the liquor store to buy it instead of the grocery store . I was talking about regular brand name beer .

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from popeboy:

Is it weird that the first thing I thought of when I saw your offer is "Bryan Kelly could never move to Utah..."
    From WIkipedia... Current Utah law sets a limit of 3.2 percent alcohol by weight (4 percent by volume) in beer sold at grocery and convenience stores and at establishments operating under a "beer only" type license, such as taverns, beer bars and some restaurants.

Believe me when I say that you can get just as drunk on 3.2 as you can on "strong" beer.

#69 9 years ago

Sorry to hear this news and wishing you a bright future, Bryan, whatever that might hold. (And I do hope it continues to include restoration work. I love seeing pics of your work, especially in process.)

#70 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

So does Utah, you have to go to the liquor store to buy it instead of the grocery store . I was talking about regular brand name beer .

It's sold at the grocery store here.

Our liquor stores aren't allowed to sell any beer or wine. They have to have a different store/entrance for liquor vs. beer/wine.

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Most beer is 3.2 and if you are lucky it could be as high a 3.6% The difference between a twelve pack of beer bought in Nevada Vs Utah twelve pack is the Nevada beer would equal to 13 Utah beers.. Big deal !

Gentlemen, gentlemen... please. I work for a beer distributor (and have for nearly 20 years). Beer, I can speak about.
    "Most" beer is not 3.2 nor 3.6 abv. Here's a quick rundown of "regular brand name" beers.

Bud - 5%
    Bud Light - 4.2%
    Miller - 4.6%
    Miller Lite - 4.2%
    Coors - 5%
    Coors Light - 4.2%

Now of course with the craft beer explosion most of the "session beers" are at 5% and they just go up from there. IPA's which are really on a tear these days tend to start the party at around 6% and of course go way up from that especially if we are talking about a double IPA.

Anyway, my original point is they seem to enjoy a lot of stronger crafts up in Minnesota and 3.2 would be a long way to fall. Also my post was not a knock on Utah, if that's the way you took it.

#72 9 years ago

WTF!!! Now I don't care about the shop. I'm thirsty.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from popeboy:

Gentlemen, gentlemen... please. I work for a beer distributor (and have for nearly 20 years). Beer, I can speak about.
    "Most" beer is not 3.2 nor 3.6 abv. Here's a quick rundown of "regular brand name" beers.
    Bud - 5%
    Bud Light - 4.2%
    Miller - 4.6%
    Miller Lite - 4.2%
    Coors - 5%
    Coors Light - 4.2%
    Now of course with the craft beer explosion most of the "session beers" are at 5% and they just go up from there. IPA's which are really on a tear these days tend to start the party at around 6% and of course go way up from that especially if we are talking about a double IPA.
    Anyway, my original point is they seem to enjoy a lot of stronger crafts up in Minnesota and 3.2 would be a long way to fall. Also my post was not a knock on Utah, if that's the way you took it.

Thanks for the info.

#74 9 years ago

Bryan, if you move to Madison then you can live in my Garage and convert it to your new shop!

#75 9 years ago

I'm thirsty too. Wish I was back over camping in Wisconsin like last Friday instead of at work....

20140629_175714.jpg20140629_175714.jpg
    #76 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

WTF!!! Now I don't care about the shop. I'm thirsty.

Heh... sitting at work with about 700,000 cases of beer nearby doesn't help either.

Also not disputing the fact that you can still get drunk on 3.2 beer... I would assume you would just spend a lot more time hitting the bathroom along the way.

#77 9 years ago

All Bryan has to do is dip into the cuss jar, there should be enough in there for the utilities, a few cases of beer and a couple of reloads for the cheese pump.
    Problem solved.

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

Taxes, in my mind, are not included in utilities.

They still have to be paid each month, even after the mortgage is paid off, so it would be part of the monthly expenses.

A few years back I inherited an old machine shop.

All the pinheads wanted me to do a pinclub where we could drink and play.

Once I added up all the utilities, insurance and property taxes, it worked out to be about $340 a person per year. Everyone balked saying it was too much money and I sold the place to a car detail joint.

#79 9 years ago

If the facility is for woodwork, what about limiting restores to using only new cabinets? It may bump the cost a little but will keep the restores coming.

#80 9 years ago

I don't drink, but do people only drink just for the purpose of getting drunk?

#81 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I drink only because I like the taste of drunk.

Good luck, Bryan, I'm sure you'll think of something. Have you tried drinking?

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I actually really hate the taste of alcohol, so when I drink it's purely to get a buzz going.

#83 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I actually really hate the taste of alcohol, so when I drink it's purely to get a buzz going.

Have you tried licking toads?

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Once I added up all the utilities, insurance and property taxes, it worked out to be about $340 a person per year. Everyone balked saying it was too much money and I sold the place to a car detail joint.

What's funny is that $340/year is far less than just about any pin collector spends on pinball. Sounds like quite a deal.

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Our liquor stores aren't allowed to sell any beer or wine. They have to have a different store/entrance for liquor vs. beer/wine.

Here we spend a ton of money on drunk driving ads yet our state liquor stores have drive-thru's. Our blue laws state that selling alcohol is legal on Sunday within 15 miles of the state border otherwise it's illegal. So we want to keep the roads safe and God happy as long as it doesn't impact the bottom line.

#86 9 years ago

Here is a list . I don't drink so I don't really care.

http://getdrunknotfat.com/alcohol-content-of-beer/

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I drink to forget my problem. My problem is I drink too much.

Kim

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Here is a list . I don't drink so I don't really care.
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/alcohol-content-of-beer/

That seemed to be an average site until I saw you can click the column headers and sort accordingly. That is awesome!
    Spoiler: when you sort the list by ABV pure ethanol is at the top

Getting waaay back to the topic, I hope Bryan Kelly can find another affordable place to work his magic!

#89 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Have you tried licking toads?

No, that's a little gross for me.

I'm not ashamed to admit I dropped acid over a decade ago though.

I typically drink 2-3 times a year, if that. I'd rather smoke my buzz.

#90 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

\
    I typically drink 2-3 times a year, if that. I'd rather smoke my buzz.

lol I'm the same way.

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from swf127:

What's funny is that $340/year is far less than just about any pin collector spends on pinball. Sounds like quite a deal.

Exactly.

I have 45 or so pristine games, + whatever games club members would bring to add to the pile (and like I told everybody, you bring 'em, & I'll fix 'em).

It's not like I was making a profit on the $340; that is exactly what the expenses came out to per person.

#92 9 years ago

Got a beer here in CO called Ten-Fidy with 10.5 content and Im sure Mr 68 would let you use his garage .

#93 9 years ago

I've been at the hospital since 6AM. My dad had a heart valve repaired. I've tried, but did you know you can't find beer in a hospital.

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I've been at the hospital since 6AM. My dad had a heart valve repaired. I've tried, but did you know you can't find beer in a hospital.

Damn man, you are having a rough week. I hope your dad recovers and you find that alcohol soon, it sounds like you need it.

#95 9 years ago

Thoughts and prays for your Dad's quick recovery.

#96 9 years ago

Dad had a mitra clip procedure. Only the sixth one done at the U hospital. Currently waiting for him to come to. Procedure went very well.

#97 9 years ago

In my thoughts and prayers. I hope your Dad is okay.

LTG

#98 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

In my thoughts and prayers. I hope your Dad is okay.

Likewise. Hope all goes well. I went through multiple surgeries with my dad. It's never easy.

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Usually not much fun when hanging around a hospital, good luck to you and your dad!

#100 9 years ago

sorry to hear about your pops BK.

Keep us posted.

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-may-be-working-on-my-last-restoration/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.