DSCN7403 (resized).JPG
F260D729-22D7-448F-B4B6-A7141D680748 (resized).jpeg
DD7F7AE8-78A4-4343-BA9D-2055888669AC (resized).jpeg
91UupbPoyFL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
DSCN6787 (resized).JPG
SCAN0089 (resized).JPG
DSCN7401 (resized).JPG
20191111_123446 (resized).jpg
There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.
#401 3 years ago
Quoted from Nickrc3:

Ditto...Uninterrupted work pattern for 40+ years. Never fired or laid-off. Retired at 56. Three years into it, I still have 'work dreams' a couple nights each week. Guess I miss the diversity of people/job assignments, responsibilities, and to some extent, control.
Finally starting to enjoy a schedule of daily activities mostly centered around R/C model airplanes, cars, motorcycles, and pinball. May take up golf, but just can't wrap my head around chasing a ball around a course.

I havent golfed in a long time but its great fun once you get decent at it.

#402 3 years ago

If I was at work today, we wouldn't be doing a repeat of yesterday. Hanging in the garage, and watching the race at Talladega which was rained out yesterday. And ditto for tomorrow if it gets rained out today.

Don't know what I'm going to do when the covid stimulus unemployment money runs out though. We will probably just say it was great while it lasted.

#403 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I havent golfed in a long time but its great fun once you get decent at it.

You ain’t retiring. The man has you!

#404 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

You ain’t retiring. The man has you!

Haha be at my house at 11:30pm the night of January 3rd and see. Theres going to be a party going on! Heck it might even be sooner than that. It might be tonight if they piss me off. I am holding all of the cards right now.

#405 3 years ago
Quoted from Nickrc3:

Ditto...Uninterrupted work pattern for 40+ years. Never fired or laid-off. Retired at 56. Three years into it, I still have 'work dreams' a couple nights each week. Guess I miss the diversity of people/job assignments, responsibilities, and to some extent, control.
Finally starting to enjoy a schedule of daily activities mostly centered around R/C model airplanes, cars, motorcycles, and pinball. May take up golf, but just can't wrap my head around chasing a ball around a course.

Those dreams never go away. Sometimes they get muddled with other life experiences.

#406 3 years ago

Going on second year now. Never bored. Working on books, magazines, helping people with films, smoking cigars and drinking tequila. So far so good.....

candid monsters 6 covers (resized).jpgcandid monsters 6 covers (resized).jpg
#407 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

40 straight years of working. I have never been laid off or had any kind of a break ever.

Quoted from Nickrc3:

Uninterrupted work pattern for 40+ years. Never fired or laid-off.

Lucky bastards!

Many years ago a big industrial company started up a consumer products division that hired me a year in. Eight and a half years later there were almost a hundred consumer products employees nearing their ten year employment anniversaries, at which time they would be vested for retirement pensions. So big industrial quickly sold off consumer products division to another big company that wanted the product lines but didn't need any of the office staff and we all lost our jobs. I returned from my honeymoon to find this out. My boss knew before I went, but didn't tell me because he didn't want to ruin my honeymoon or cause me to cancel the wedding.

Then I got a job with another consumer products company and worked there for almost ten years while saving money to buy a house. Two months after my wife and I moved in, the owner sold the company to an out-of-state company that wanted the product lines but didn't need any of the office staff. If you stayed until they let you go you would get one week's severance pay for each year of service. If you quit to look for or take another job, then you got nothing. Because I was considered a key employee they wanted me to stay through the transition until the end, so I got ten week's severance pay, but then I was out of work again.

I've always been recognized by management and coworkers as being extremely competent and knowledgeable. But I got married and lost my job. Then I bought a house and lost my job. So now I'm afraid of major life changes. I might retire and lose my job.

#408 3 years ago

In my line of work as an auto tech, early on I tried to stay at the same place as long as I could until I found out there is no loyalty. They will hire somebody to do it cheaper, or cut into the technician's earnings to satisfy their own greed. And paid vacations or retirement plans? Ha!

Don't get me started on employee health plans either that cost the employee more at places that have them available than those that don't.

Yes, I learned a long time ago in this industry, you start each new job like a prospector, and go away when the gold starts to run thin. Then you are giving the employers the same loyalty they are giving you.

#409 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Going on second year now. Never bored. Working on books, magazines, helping people with films, smoking cigars and drinking tequila. So far so good.....

We watched Mad Monster Party yesterday since the race was delayed. An all time children's (cough cough) classic!

#410 3 years ago

You gotta watch out who you cough around these days!

Screenshot_20200622-135235~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200622-135235~2 (resized).png
#411 3 years ago

Congrats to those that retire early.
Been running my own business for the last 18 years and I am currently 51
Can't say that I don't dream of an early retirement

#412 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

You gotta watch out who you cough around these days!

Yes, the cough cough was in regards to what would pass as a children's show then would hardly make the cut now. Another reason I am happy to have lived through times when people were not so sensitive to having their feelings hurt, or other's feelings hurt.

A child getting hurt back then was having his ass beat after school or paddled by some head master.

#413 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Lucky bastards!
Many years ago a big industrial company started up a consumer products division that hired me a year in. Eight and a half years later there were almost a hundred consumer products employees nearing their ten year employment anniversaries, at which time they would be vested for retirement pensions. So big industrial quickly sold off consumer products division to a another big company that wanted the product lines but didn't need any of the office staff and we all lost our jobs. I returned from my honeymoon to find this out. My boss knew before I went, but didn't tell me because he didn't want to ruin my honeymoon or cause me to cancel the wedding.
Then I got a job with another consumer products company and worked there for almost ten years while saving money to buy a house. Two months after my wife and I moved in, the owner sold the company to an out-of-state company that wanted the product lines but didn't need any of the office staff. If you stayed until they let you go you would get one week's severance pay for each year of service. If you quit to look for or take another job, then you got nothing. Because I was considered a key employee they wanted me to stay through the transition until the end, so I got ten week's severance pay, but then I was out of work again.
I've always been recognized by management and coworkers as being extremely competent and knowledgeable. But I got married and lost my job. Then I bought a house and lost my job. So now I'm afraid of major life changes. I might retire and lose my job.

Sometimes I think this job was a good thing and sometimes I think it was the worst thing that ever happened to me so I'm not so sure if I'm lucky or not. I definitely have mixed feelings about it. I'm just glad to be getting the hell out of there that's all I know. I will probably still find some sort of part time work here and there or do something on my own to keep me busy.

#414 3 years ago

Great race so far!

#415 3 years ago

#416 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Congrats to those that retire early.
Been running my own business for the last 18 years and I am currently 51
Can't say that I don't dream of an early retirement

I went from a string of various positions mainly in the corporate world to starting a business as a piano tuner 18 years ago. It’s been a real blessing, I feel like I’ve been retired in a way for those 18 years. I’m 58 and I figure my real retirement will be tuning one piano a day instead of two. It’s great to determine how you work, where you work, how much you work, and how much money you’ll work for. And now that I’m back at it after the Michigan quarantine, I realize I missed it.

#417 3 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

I went from a string of various positions mainly in the corporate world to starting a business as a piano tuner 18 years ago. It’s been a real blessing, I feel like I’ve been retired in a way for those 18 years. I’m 58 and I figure my real retirement will be tuning one piano a day instead of two. It’s great to determine how you work, where you work, how much you work, and how much money you’ll work for. And now that I’m back at it after the Michigan quarantine, I realize I missed it.

Is it true, what they say?

#418 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Is it true, what they say?

If you mean the saying that is also an REO Speedwagon album title, please don’t, I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said that to me!

#420 3 years ago

If you mean the saying that is also an REO Speedwagon album title, please don’t, I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said that to me!

Hi Infidelity?

#421 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Hi Infidelity?

No, if you look at an REO discography, it’ll be obvious.

#422 3 years ago

I was going for "you can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish"!

#423 3 years ago

Bingo! Now you owe me a dollar!

#424 3 years ago

LOL, at least you're a good sport about it

#425 3 years ago

Kind of like wishing you had a dollar for every time a non-pinhead comes over for some pinball, pulls out his phone, and plays “Pinball Wizard.”

#426 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

LOL, at least you're a good sport about it

All in fun, my friend!

#427 3 years ago

Wheels Are Turnin'!

#428 3 years ago

As this thread becomes derailed, we’re Ridin’ the Storm Out!

#429 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Those dreams never go away. Sometimes they get muddled with other life experiences.

I’m a year done and mine aren’t there anymore. The first part right after was reliving my last couple of weeks before I retired over and over. Then I started having return as a contractor dreams. Very vivid stuff that I wish I didn’t experience.

#430 3 years ago

I occasionally will dream that I'm back in college, it's end of semester, and I realized I forgot to attend one of my classes.

And I'm out 25 years.

Hoping to retire in maybe 6 or 7 years.

#431 3 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

I occasionally will dream that I'm back in college, it's end of semester, and I realized I forgot to attend one of my classes.

At least you didn't dream you showed up for the exam buck naked ...

#432 3 years ago

I saw $5 go away during the last 1/4 lap of overtime in today's race. All in all, well worth the price of admission.

#433 3 years ago

As this thread becomes derailed, we’re Ridin’ the Storm Out!

REO's first 3 albums were fantastic! (from late 60's up)

#434 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

REO's first 3 albums were fantastic! (from late 60's up)

This time we mean it. REO is a distant memory now.

#435 3 years ago

Not gonna lie.
If you enjoy pinball, like I do...I’ve got the dream job.

It doesn’t seem like a job when you do something you love.

#436 3 years ago

I semi retired at 42.

Best move I ever made.

When you get to a certain age, you figure out that life is more than getting up and working 90-100 hours like a robot every week and dying in your 40 from stress.

That’s me .... YMMV.

rd

#437 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I semi retired at 42.
Best move I ever made.
When you get to a certain age, you figure out that life is more than getting up and working 90-100 hours like a robot every week and dying in your 40 from stress.
That’s me .... YMMV.

rd

I've felt semi retired since March when my Mega Corp went to a work at home model.

#438 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I semi retired at 42.
Best move I ever made.
That’s me .... YMMV.

rd

So THAT’s how you can travel all over and can do a complete re-theme in less time than it takes me to touch up and clear coat a playfield!

#439 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I semi retired at 42

Helps to be rich. The rest of us will have to work until we drop dead.

#440 3 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

And I'm out 25 years.
Hoping to retire in maybe 6 or 7 years.

I've had that same dream a dozen times. Its great when i wake up and realize i have a degree and have worked for 40 years

#441 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Helps to be rich. The rest of us will have to work until we drop dead.

I am neither rich or anywhere close to being dead. I guess if you don't spend a lot of money, you don't really need a lot of money.

Or to put it another way, I don't waste it or pay somebody else to do anything I can do myself including the yard and house cleaning and any repairs around the house. Without working full time, I have the time and also waste much less of my income in taxes. And there are plenty of trips to take without ever leaving the farm.

And I don't believe in buying on credit or owe anybody a penny.

#442 3 years ago

Details on the avatar din?

#443 3 years ago

I’m retiring at the end of July can’t wait
Almost 44 years of foundry work I’m toast
I’ll finally have pinball time my NASCAR has been in my collection for 13 years less 250 plays on it. After 60 plus hours a week for almost ever it feels like pinball time is in my future

#444 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And I don't believe in buying on credit or owe anybody a penny.

Well some of us had to pay for our home.

#445 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well some of us had to pay for our home.

Well, I had to pay for half of mine as I have a brother that can't seem to have enough money. But I used cash or what you might call a bank transfer. No loan. And houses in So Cal haven't been cheap in some time. Much cheaper when I bought it than it is now though.

Quoted from PinRob:

Details on the avatar din?

Since you asked...

#446 3 years ago

How do all of you who retired early account for health care costs into your budget?

I retired early. Health care insurance is not cheap.

Turning 65 and getting Medicare was a welcome, life-enhancing event.

#447 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How do all of you who retired early account for health care costs into your budget?.

Spouse.

#448 3 years ago

I’m 61 soon to be 62 I put the max amount in my HSA for over 3 years and didn’t use any now I can pay for insurance the next 3 years out of that account until Medicare kicks in

#449 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Helps to be rich.

I was gonna leave that alone ... but ...

Our family was poor when I was a kid. My old man worked three jobs to get ahead. And he did get ahead. He’s a simple meat and potatoes guy - I learnt from his work ethic and doubled down.

No inheritance.
No stock market windfalls.
No ripping people off.

Everything we have is made from working around the clock, carrying sofas on our heads, lifting heavy washing machines by ourselves, unloading whole 40ft HC containers of furniture with a hand truck by myself, in the weekends while all my mates were off drinking and partying and wondering why I did better than they did.

To the point where my doctor said if I kept doing it, I would be dead by 45.

So I stopped.

I had worked hard enough to get a good asset base. We live a pretty simple life day to day, and we get by nicely.

I’ll leave it there.

rd

#450 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How do all of you who retired early account for health care costs into your budget?
I retired early. Health care insurance is not cheap.
Turning 65 and getting Medicare was a welcome, life-enhancing event.

I have no bills and my health insurance will be paid for from my pension, rental property income and my 401k if needed. I hate to spend my retirement savings on health insurance but health insurance is part of retirement if you retire early and the reason I put money back into my 401k was............to retire, so that's what I'm going to use it for.

My situation is also a little different than most peoples. I don't have any kids to leave my money to so I'm going to use it on myself. I also live a pretty modest lifestyle. I don't drive fancy cars or take 5,000 dollar cruises etc.

The #1 thing that I want more than anything right now in my life is to get the hell out of where I work at and to not have to work swing shift anymore so that's what I am going to do. That is much better than driving a new car or living in a new 250-300K home to me. Everyone is different though so to each their own.

There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-thinking-about-retiring/page/9?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.