DSCN7403 (resized).JPG
F260D729-22D7-448F-B4B6-A7141D680748 (resized).jpeg
DD7F7AE8-78A4-4343-BA9D-2055888669AC (resized).jpeg
91UupbPoyFL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
DSCN6787 (resized).JPG
SCAN0089 (resized).JPG
DSCN7401 (resized).JPG
20191111_123446 (resized).jpg
There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 15.
#101 5 years ago

Retirement is for Quitter's

#102 5 years ago

What would Spicoli do?

"All i need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'll be fine"

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

Retirement is for Quitter's

On the contrary, I would actually be able to do more. I'm almost finished with that Gottlieb and another buddy around town that sells games says he's got never-ending machines to work on.

It's pretty damn tempting.

#104 5 years ago

Find yourself a nice girlfriend to make the one most important thing in your life that own's a liquor store and can pay your health insurance then quit the job

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And doing side jobs working on pinball machines to get by.
Your thoughts on that?

What career are you retiring from?

#106 5 years ago

Good luck, I think it's worth going for it. If I could pull off early retirement I would do it too. Unfortunately healthcare is the cloud over my head as well.

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

What career are you retiring from?

I do smog inspections like that dude in Waynes World. I used to be a full time auto tech, but I'll let somebody else work on all those shitboxes.

Pinball machines have no oil, no filter, no wheels, no brakes.

#108 5 years ago

Some thoughts on healthcare.
The new Bare bones plans are not finalized, and still state by state, unless legislation opens it up.
A bare Bones plan will give you peace of mind, and cover a degree of catastrophic care, less your deductible.
It is not expected to offer anything more than casual drug discounts, and if you are healthy, youll have a deductible high
enough to have out of pocket costs always at 100%.
Pre existing conditions are the tricky part....What if you do get cancer, or an accident?
Youll have a 1 million cap on these discount plans, so dont expect Cancer, or serious illness or injury, not to eat that up fast.
So indeed, something good really for healthy people.
There is no understanding that if one does get ill, will they be able to get an ACA plan?
I personally have not seen an answer.

For me, the ACA is a lifesaver. Id hate to see it go away, but if it does, and being in healthcare needs, I will have no choice
but to secure my life differently.

Current estimated cost for me, without ACA, and a pre-existing condition, is around $42,000 annually.
I could only retire because of ACA. It is estimated that the new cost, with these plans steering funds away, that Ill need $64,000
to $66,000 annualized in premiums! Yikes!!

#109 5 years ago

Healthcare is something I don't really think about. Bunch of quacks anyway. Who's got time for that?

I go see the dermatologist once a year to make sure the melanoma didn't come back. Even that surgery came out of my pocket.

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Here is the link I used with eHealthinsurance.com. The lowest cost short-term plan in Texas for someone like me is $103.17 a month. There are a couple others priced at $150/month. Two of these are only good for 3 months, which was the prior limit under law before the recent regulatory change. One of these plans is good for a year so it must have just come out and reflects the new regulations. The broker I spoke with today suggested waiting until December to sign up since there should be even more options then.
https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ifp-client/quote-st.html?abResult=B&skipQLEtoST=false&adobe_mc_ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ehealthinsurance.com%2Fehi%2Fst%2Fshort-term-census%3FstSegmentSMBFlow%3DB%26adobe_mc_ref%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ehealthinsurance.com%252Fshort-term-health-insurance%26adobe_mc_sdid%3DSDID%253D790E497BD2DBD0D5-4FE4FFF7C9F0D3D1%257CMCORGID%253DA821776A5245B31A0A490D44%252540AdobeOrg%257CTS%253D1534541619&adobe_mc_sdid=SDID%3D06521E6A6228F47D-2092CB2E1419122F%7CMCORGID%3DA821776A5245B31A0A490D44%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1534541640
Here is a link showing the cost of ACA bronze plans for comparison. Texas only has one insurance company in the market for this group, BCBS Texas, so there is no competition. The other companies left the market since it was unprofitable. The lowest cost bronze plan is $598/month.
https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ifp-client/quotepage.html

I'm thinking i might be able to get to my retirement sooner with the right plan.
Thanks for the information and links.

#111 5 years ago

Top Card all finished. Just waiting for the plastics to arrive.

I like this job.

Next.......

DSCN5956 (resized).JPGDSCN5956 (resized).JPG
#112 5 years ago

Top Card is a real favorite of mine. Great player!
Your looks nice.

#113 5 years ago

Thanks Vic. After I get the plastics I'll keep it around for a week or so and test play it then give it back to the customer.

#114 5 years ago

I play Top Card when I want to play "long ball" meaning a game can last awhile. Very fun, fast pin.

#115 5 years ago

Ems take time with all the score reels and such, but nothing like Earthshaker when I went thru that. All the posts are locktited so they all break and need new T-nuts.

But what I do know is once I'm done they stay working, so if people are patient and don't mind me doing the work here, this might just be my calling.

My buddy who sells games is constantly bringing them in from customers to be shopped and repaired because they can't do it themselves.

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Thanks Vic. After I get the plastics I'll keep it around for a week or so and test play it then give it back to the customer.

You may be a perfect candidate for retirement and doing pinball on the side. You'll never know if you don't give it a shot.

#117 5 years ago

Just go for it man. If things don’t work out just be a greeter for Walmart.

#118 5 years ago

If I didn't have a buddy nearby that was already in the business with plenty of work, I wouldn't even consider it. I don't like driving all over the place. But I'll go back to work Monday and do those smog tests which is just plugging into the OBD now. No real work involved. And see how long I can stand it.

I've always needed to be working on and fixing something. It's therapy and this comes natural with my 30+ years fixing auto electrical problems.

My games are all done and they just keep on ticking. So I need to fix something. Some of you can probably tell my attitude is a little better when I am.

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Some thoughts on healthcare.
The new Bare bones plans are not finalized, and still state by state, unless legislation opens it up.
A bare Bones plan will give you peace of mind, and cover a degree of catastrophic care, less your deductible.
It is not expected to offer anything more than casual drug discounts, and if you are healthy, youll have a deductible high
enough to have out of pocket costs always at 100%.
Pre existing conditions are the tricky part....What if you do get cancer, or an accident?
Youll have a 1 million cap on these discount plans, so dont expect Cancer, or serious illness or injury, not to eat that up fast.
So indeed, something good really for healthy people.
There is no understanding that if one does get ill, will they be able to get an ACA plan?
I personally have not seen an answer.

Page 1 of the document detailing the new regulations linked below says, “ACTION: Final Rule”, so the regulations appear to be finalized.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2018-16568.pdf

As you correctly mentioned it is up to the individual states to decide whether or not these short-term plans will be offered.

ACA plans are guaranteed-issuance so people can’t be turned down based on medical history. That is a major reason why they are so expensive.

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Top Card all finished. Just waiting for the plastics to arrive.
I like this job.
Next.......[quoted image]

Do what makes you happy .

#121 5 years ago

Your welcome to come work on mine!!! I hope all is well!!! Let’s get together soon.

#122 5 years ago

It took me way too long to realize money only matters to people who need it.

Don’t get caught up in the “Just one more year” syndrome if you can retire now.

Maybe retire & work @ a MJ dispensary?

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

Your welcome to come work on mine!!! I hope all is well!!! Let’s get together soon.

You're kinda far from here.

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I do smog inspections like that dude in Waynes World. I used to be a full time auto tech, but I'll let somebody else work on all those shitboxes.
Pinball machines have no oil, no filter, no wheels, no brakes.

No smog inspections in Texas but....

Great Mexican food, tequila and fine women!

#125 5 years ago

When you make it to that MET LE on each side of your bed pinnacle in life I say why not? You made it.
Both of em only play Seek and Destroy. But 6 seconds apart.
Alarm clock plays Hit the Lights at 11am or whatever time you wake up.

#126 5 years ago

I'll be at your retirement party. I'll be the dude playin this intro over and over on my lectric guitar/Pignose amp I just bought. Who needs lessons when you got a Metallica pinball repeatin riffs for ya? Over. And over.

#127 5 years ago

What are the odds you get bored and come out of retirement?

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

yearly expenses cannot exceed 3.5% of portfolio.

What's a portofino?

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What's a portofino?

I think that’s alcohol budget

I’d set it at 20% minimum

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think that’s alcohol budget
I’d set it at 20% minimum

I'm thinking this might be my next NIB purchase. Then I'm covered for a while. Also takes care of any medical expenses.

cl4h980j0h4z (resized).jpgcl4h980j0h4z (resized).jpg
#131 5 years ago

Another quickie story.

We have all a fellow Pinhead here in Sarasota, that is on his last days with Cancer. He goes by PinDan on the Village.
A great guy, Jukebox and Pinball enthusiast, an infectious smile, and some of the best parties with his unbelievable mate Donna.
He worked all the way till he couldnt....that golden time we shoot for, to enjoy without the stress of work, wont happen.

Work until you can afford to stop. Make it a goal. make it as early as you can.
To me, Retiring doesnt mean stop working, it means not giving a shit about someone else controlling ones time and "crap" in an inbox.

Many of his here love pinball because we do get alone time to fix, and play and escape.
Playing Pinball any time of the day, andy day of the week is awesome!

Work to join the club sooner, rather than later....it does agree with the advice others have said....

How about a change of Oceans, Odin, and give Florida a try.....
Lots of retirees around here, and early bird specials!!

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm thinking this might be my next NIB purchase. Then I'm covered for a while. Also takes care of any medical expenses.[quoted image]

.....at only the cost of an LE!!

Enjoy your weekend, odin and Ice!

#133 5 years ago

Art that's not a "quickie".

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm thinking this might be my next NIB purchase. Then I'm covered for a while. Also takes care of any medical expenses.[quoted image]

That’s a much better use of funds!

Not to get depressing here but I tried to sneak in some Miller lite beer, his favorite, into the hospital room of a long time friend and client who is in Hospice now after a stroke.

Drink plenty, love your friends and family and life as much as possible every day

And F em if they can’t take a joke

#135 5 years ago

I just remembered why I took my current job 6 years ago. I was unemployed because the last boss was an asshole and he wanted someone cheaper I think.

I was on cruise control then but decided to apply for a home equity line of credit anyway just in case I might need it. So I take my fully paid off house and perfect credit score to the credit union I have been a member of most of my life and filled out an application.

They said no! I said why not? They said you don't have a job, come back when you have had one for at least a year. I got pissed and said I'm trying to borrow against my house that is all paid off and I have a perfect credit score, Take the money and give it to the immigrant that took my last job so he can buy my house and I can get the fuck out of Dodge!

Then I settled down and found a job. So before I retire I must go fill out another application.

#136 5 years ago

Why don’t you set up a Twitch feed and get subs?

Make it a Cali special without Rarehero

After seeing Jack Danger in that Chucky Cheese costume pimping Deadpool I’m thinking anything is possible

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And doing side jobs working on pinball machines to get by.
Your thoughts on that?

Side jobs working on pinball machines usually pays around $5 per hour or less if you are alright with that then go for it.

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Side jobs working on pinball machines usually pays around $5 per hour or less if you are alright with that then go for it.

No, that's what you get paid to build and design games. Repairing the shit is a much more valuable commodity.

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

On the contrary, I would actually be able to do more. I'm almost finished with that Gottlieb and another buddy around town that sells games says he's got never-ending machines to work on.
It's pretty damn tempting.

That was only meant as a joke in all honesty if you can do it now go for it. When I was 21 I cut off all my long hair and took a city job with a 20 year pension....it was the best thing I ever did & now I’m looking at retirement at 55 which is next year after working my second career in healthcare. If I wasn’t on my second marriage it would’ve been sooner

#140 5 years ago

I'm just realizing there are a lot of collectors in the area too busy with their jobs and life to be able to work on their own machines. And some don't know how. And a lot of neglected repairs. But they certainly want them to work

If it's somebody in a hurry or stressed about it, I won't be dealing with them. It takes patience to do the job right. And I'm not always in the mood to do it.

#141 5 years ago

When can you start collecting SS and how much will you get per month? Will working another year or 2 boost it?

#142 5 years ago

I've been putting in for 40 years, my high earning (cough cough) years are way behind me now. I guess in about 6 years I can start taking it and it would be a sum slightly more than I am making now. I'm not sure what good putting in another six years would do.

#143 5 years ago

Until I read your Yelp thread I figured you were already about 70 and retired already. I have a technician working for me that is 82. He should have retired over more than a decade ago because he is losing money by not retiring. His excuse is,"I'm not digging ditches."

#144 5 years ago

I'm one bad yelp review away from pulling the trigger on this retirement thing.

#145 5 years ago

Time for Odins Great American Pinball Repair Tour 2019.

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm one bad yelp review away from pulling the trigger on this retirement thing.

Don't make me beg you for a flathead screwdriver.

#147 5 years ago

If you own a house in Californiskan maybe you should cash in, sell and live way cheaper in the midwest. There are large lakes if you need your water fix.

#148 5 years ago

I think you should do what makes you happy, but have balance. Maybe do some side jobs on the pinball repairs and still keep your regular job. I can see how as others suggested doing this full time might take you away from the passion you have toward the hobby, but isn't repairing pinballs part of that passion. Again its back to balance, do it just don't burn yourself out on it to where you don't enjoy it anymore.

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm just realizing there are a lot of collectors in the area too busy with their jobs and life to be able to work on their own machines. And some don't know how. And a lot of neglected repairs. But they certainly want them to work
If it's somebody in a hurry or stressed about it, I won't be dealing with them. It takes patience to do the job right. And I'm not always in the mood to do it.

This is so true. I'm not collector (yet) but it's nice to know if I buy a machine I have someone who can bring back to life and make it better than new. My time is limited. Work a lot of hours and other responsibilities that get in the way of some of the things I like to do. I have two other hobbies on the back burner right now because not enough time to really enjoy them and it seems I have to force myself to do them...that's no good because the fun is gone when you get to that point. That's what made me get back into playing pinball again. Time to rotate out my interests.

#150 5 years ago

In addition to repair you can maybe do complete restorations for bigger pay days. That might be something to consider?

There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-thinking-about-retiring/page/3?hl=jtm3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.