DSCN7403 (resized).JPG
F260D729-22D7-448F-B4B6-A7141D680748 (resized).jpeg
DD7F7AE8-78A4-4343-BA9D-2055888669AC (resized).jpeg
91UupbPoyFL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
DSCN6787 (resized).JPG
SCAN0089 (resized).JPG
DSCN7401 (resized).JPG
20191111_123446 (resized).jpg
There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 15.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Thought you once stated that you did not work on Friday. Do you work on Saturday and Sunday? A 4 day work week can not be that bad?

I don't work Tuesday either, but the three days I am there, there is nothing to do except stare at the computer and post on pinside during the slow times and I'm not sure that is really all that healthy as I have always worked on things to keep busy but there is no room in the shop for any projects as it is now a storage place for the bosses junk.

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Property taxes are still a bitch even after the house is paid off.

Do you think $1000 a year will really be that hard to come up with?

#52 5 years ago

Do what ever makes you happy.

You only get one chance. And no one will be having fun for you when you are gone.

Except maybe the moderators.

LTG : )

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from frb:

Noone would care.

Yes, he would.

920x920 (resized).jpg920x920 (resized).jpg
#54 5 years ago

You seem to have your shit together so I say bring on the tasty waves and a cool buzz. Persue total happiness, life is too short.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Correct. The short-term plans most likely won’t cover pre-existing conditions and aren’t required to cover all of the essential mandatory benefits under ACA. That is why they can be offered for such a low price. But most do provide an out-of-pocket maximum, which is very important to me as I’m frequently traveling out-of-state and hence will be out-of-network.
I researched this today and found plans costing 20% of what an ACA bronze plan costs. That is a huge savings. And more plans will almost certainly come to market before the end of the year since the new rules were just recently announced and companies need to adjust to them.
These short-term plans make sense if you aren’t taking costly medications, don’t have serious pre-existing conditions, but want a low-cost no-frills plan that will help guard against catastrophe. In my view that’s perhaps the true role for insurance, as opposed to paying for routine medical expenses.
I would recommend anybody who is considering this option to research it thoroughly, as it isn’t for everybody, but could be a very good option for some.

If you go with a one-year plan, what happens if, say, you get cancer that requires chemo/radiation falling outside the coverage year? Are they required to extend (at the same low rate) for future years? Or can they just refuse to extend your coverage and you're then hosed if they find another tumor?

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Do what ever makes you happy.
You only get one chance. And no one will be having fun for you when you are gone.

That's what I'm thinking. Back in the 90s during periods of unemployment I did the same thing except it was working on cars out of my garage at my own leisure. And that afforded me the freedom to take off whenever I wanted and not have to adhere to any real schedule. But then I had a daughter so I had to get serious again and take a job working full time. But now she's all grown up and pretty self sufficient.

I'm working out in the garage today fixing someone else pinball machine today for a little bit of money.

Only reason I hesitate is the job is steady and very easy but it is every week for the last six years as there is nobody else to fill in.

Perhaps I could ask to go to two days a week and go from there. Not sure the boss wants to work four days though.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps I could ask to go to two days a week and go from there.

Don't strain yourself!

#58 5 years ago

Two days a week is the right #.
Just enough $$$ to continue the day to day lifestyle you’re accustomed to, and not too many days in a row to where you’re mentally burnt out AKA, “Mr. One Star.”

Now, if and when you get yourself down to just one day...

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Don't strain yourself!

It's the boss that would then have to work four days a week or hire somebody else.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Two days a week is the right #.

Coming from the guy that works one day a week. lol.

#61 5 years ago

I say go for it. You live in an area with great year around weather and lots to do. Sounds like you are more bored with work than stressed out by it like others may be - plus its only 3 days a week. You live in the San Angeles Metropolitan Area which means tons of people with money that want toys like pinballs and arcades and don't want to bother fixing them. I think there is a large enough demand for repair / resto work in this area to let you decide how often you take on a job. (I live in So. Orange County so have a good sense of this). Do what you love! Spend your days dicking around and maybe fixing a game and maybe do some flips for extra cash. And also more time to make snarky comments on Pinside.....

#62 5 years ago

Retirement? There is no legal age for retirement in the US?
Talking about retirement or retraining?

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

If you go with a one-year plan, what happens if, say, you get cancer that requires chemo/radiation falling outside the coverage year? Are they required to extend (at the same low rate) for future years? Or can they just refuse to extend your coverage and you're then hosed if they find another tumor?

Good question and it may depend on the specific plan chosen. But in general it’s my understanding that the short-term plans aren’t required to have guaranteed-issue, unlike ACA plans which are required to cover everyone and can’t charge sick patients more.

If the short-term plan rejects your renewal application you still have the option of purchasing an ACA plan since they aren’t going away. It’s also my understanding that you can only stay on a short-term plan for a total of 3 years, which is part of the definition which makes them allowable under law.

Again, I would encourage everyone considering this option to research it for themselves and perhaps discuss it with an insurance broker.

Another factor is that these short-term plans may not allow you to contribute to an HSA, which is a bummer. But the cost is so attractive I’m definitely getting one for 2019.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Coming from the guy that works one day a week. lol.

Hey, everyone there including the customers treats me like an A-List celebrity when I show up. Even the owner.

Why f*ck up a good thing?

#65 5 years ago

Food's cheap enough these days. They even threw in a piece of cheesecake for a buck.

I'm not even sure I can eat all this.
DSCN5950 (resized).JPGDSCN5950 (resized).JPG

#66 5 years ago

And to think on Wednesdays you could’ve had all of this healthy stuff for around the same price!
579FE311-548B-4F5C-98F5-714859FA8F06 (resized).jpeg579FE311-548B-4F5C-98F5-714859FA8F06 (resized).jpeg

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

The only retraining I'll be doing is delivering pizzas if this doesn't work out.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Do you think $1000 a year will really be that hard to come up with?

Ok I'm jealous now. I pay way more than that.

#69 5 years ago

Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge is opening up at Disneyland. You’ll need to retire to wait in lines there now. That’s going to be a huge draw unfortunately.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The only retraining I'll be doing is delivering pizzas if this doesn't work out.

A noble profession to retire INto if I do say so myself.

32F30FA5-1584-4AA9-A489-2249DA29813C (resized).jpeg32F30FA5-1584-4AA9-A489-2249DA29813C (resized).jpeg
#71 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Food's cheap enough these days. They even threw in a piece of cheesecake for a buck.

I'm not even sure I can eat all this.

Ya know what....maybe don't even worry about that health plan....

#72 5 years ago

Hope to be there in six years. Just don't know what I'd do. Good luck

#73 5 years ago

Retirement is fine unless you turn into a DOZER. I'll explain later.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Biggest thing is health care. If you are too young for Medicare and are not eligible for a health care plan from an employer, you are better off working until eligible.
I retired from a job I could no longer tolerate (commute became awful, was being taken for granted) and started a new job.
Happier than ever as I am drawing a pension. Double-dipping is nice.

Health care? Pffft. overrated. I have Blue cross Blue sheild from work, Gold plan. Haven't seen a doctor in 13 years, I'm 52 now. Healthy like a freakin horse man, a work horse. If my body can't heal it, I'll just shoot myself.

Of course I am crazy active and never stop. THAT might kill me...

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

A noble profession to retire INto if I do say so myself.

Yeah, driving the train around Disneyland sounds a little too hard.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm working out in the garage today fixing someone else pinball machine today for a little bit of money.

What?! Thought you worked for 'Jack' and not cash.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, driving the train around Disneyland sounds a little too hard.

There’s always Knott’s.
It technically has the shorter track.
FE52E6A3-E55D-4843-8EFD-1E793543BD20 (resized).jpegFE52E6A3-E55D-4843-8EFD-1E793543BD20 (resized).jpeg
Plus,
HangTime is a really fun ride that doesn’t cost a foot and a leg.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

There’s always Knott’s.
It technically has the shorter track...

I could be one of the gunfighters that robs people.

#79 5 years ago

Spicoli the Kid...

01AFA1AB-5A8E-48D7-BA7D-23607378E98D (resized).jpeg01AFA1AB-5A8E-48D7-BA7D-23607378E98D (resized).jpeg
#80 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

What?! Thought you worked for 'Jack' and not cash.

No, this is what I call living the dream.

I'm out in the garage on a sunny day, Gunsmoke's on the TV, and I'm fixing somebody elses Gottlieb.

But I can fix all years makes and models. Except those with node boards are kind of a hassle unless it's just dropping in a new board.

DSCN5951 (resized).JPGDSCN5951 (resized).JPGDSCN5952 (resized).JPGDSCN5952 (resized).JPG
#81 5 years ago

Never to late to become a sponsored surfer.

#82 5 years ago

I know multiple local people to me that have done this. They all seem as happy as could be with it. I would recommend it...

#83 5 years ago

O-din you work so little now you should be able to get on state sponsored health insurance. Unless you get paid big bucks.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

O-din you work so little now you should be able to get on state sponsored health insurance.

It's called Covered Ca. which a few years ago they forced my to buy. It was like $30 a month but I never used it, so I felt like I was getting ripped off. But this year it was only $12 for the whole year so I abided by the law and sent them the check.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Retirement? There is no legal age for retirement in the US?

(Not legal advice, again)
For most Americans there is no retirement age.
For the average American, we pay into a government funded program called Social Security.
Once 62, you're eligible to receive a check from the government, but the longer you defer (maximum age 70 1/2) you'll receive more money per month.
The amount is based on what you put into the retirement program, and when you start.
Aside from that most people have a 401(k) where people put money into it, but there is NO guaranteed payout per month, if the market tanks, well too bad, you have to keep working, potentially until you die.
Certain people have pensions with a guaranteed income, but they're rare in America.
Some highly skilled professions have required retirement dates, but not many.
There are a few programs for the really poor, but they pay very little.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Never to late to become a sponsored surfer.

Already found his new board...
86F9C70F-870E-411E-BF3E-F58AEEE9E3AF (resized).jpeg86F9C70F-870E-411E-BF3E-F58AEEE9E3AF (resized).jpeg

#87 5 years ago

I got 6 years 4 months and I'm ready. Never know how long you'll make it, no point working all your good years away.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I got 6 years 4 months and I'm ready. Never know how long you'll make it, no point working all your good years away.

Agreed. February 13, 2022. I will do shit on the side if I need extra cash. I will never get bored.

#89 5 years ago

One of the best things I can think of was today I was able to sleep until 10AM instead of forcing myself out of bed at 8AM like I would do on a work day.

Sure are a lot of dirty switches on this Gottlieb.

#90 5 years ago

Uber or lift let's you be the boss and work on your terms.

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Correct. The short-term plans most likely won’t cover pre-existing conditions and aren’t required to cover all of the essential mandatory benefits under ACA. That is why they can be offered for such a low price. But most do provide an out-of-pocket maximum, which is very important to me as I’m frequently traveling out-of-state and hence will be out-of-network.
I researched this today and found plans costing 20% of what an ACA bronze plan costs. That is a huge savings. And more plans will almost certainly come to market before the end of the year since the new rules were just announced and companies need time to adjust to them.
These short-term plans make sense if you aren’t taking costly medications, don’t have serious pre-existing conditions, but want a low-cost no-frills plan that will help guard against catastrophe. In my view that’s perhaps the true role for insurance, as opposed to paying for routine medical expenses.
I would recommend anybody who is considering this option to research it thoroughly, as it isn’t for everybody, but could be a very good option for some.

Are there any links you could post of plans costing 20% of what ACA bronze plans costs?

#92 5 years ago

Bonanza's on now.

DSCN5953 (resized).JPGDSCN5953 (resized).JPG
#93 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Bonanza's on now. [quoted image]

Gunsmoke and Bonanza rule dude!! How about a pinball machine made after one of these shows??

#94 5 years ago

Free tv is the best. You must pick up alot of channels in the city.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't have health insurance at work but got that obama care plan that I think cost like $12 for this year that I never use. Are they doing away with that?
Also right now I work three days a week, and like the boss and job, but it is cutting into my fun time and not sure I like having a set schedule like that anymore.
[quoted image]

Man , if you like the Boss and like the Job thats huge and rare these days .
If you dont like having a set schedule dont expect a paycheck every 2 weeks .
I say ride it out for now . Hopefully this isn't spill over from showing up late last week .

#96 5 years ago

I've never seen Bonanza, But I know Pat Hingle when i see him.

#97 5 years ago

Start doing more side jobs while keeping your job and see if it want you want

I like that option.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Gunsmoke and Bonanza rule dude!! How about a pinball machine made after one of these shows??

From what I understand they aren't the best playing games. But the highlite of the day will be when Rifleman and Wagon Train come on.

Backglass (resized).jpgBackglass (resized).jpgBackglass1 (resized).jpgBackglass1 (resized).jpg
#99 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I've never seen Bonanza, But I know Pat Hingle when i see him.

That's him. He's a special guest star today.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Are there any links you could post of plans costing 20% of what ACA bronze plans costs?

Here is the link I used with eHealthinsurance.com. The lowest cost short-term plan in Texas for someone like me is $103.17 a month. There are a couple others priced at $150/month. Two of these are only good for 3 months, which was the prior limit under law before the recent regulatory change. One of these plans is good for a year so it must have just come out and reflects the new regulations. The broker I spoke with today suggested waiting until December to sign up since there should be even more options then.

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ifp-client/quote-st.html?abResult=B&skipQLEtoST=false&adobe_mc_ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ehealthinsurance.com%2Fehi%2Fst%2Fshort-term-census%3FstSegmentSMBFlow%3DB%26adobe_mc_ref%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ehealthinsurance.com%252Fshort-term-health-insurance%26adobe_mc_sdid%3DSDID%253D790E497BD2DBD0D5-4FE4FFF7C9F0D3D1%257CMCORGID%253DA821776A5245B31A0A490D44%252540AdobeOrg%257CTS%253D1534541619&adobe_mc_sdid=SDID%3D06521E6A6228F47D-2092CB2E1419122F%7CMCORGID%3DA821776A5245B31A0A490D44%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1534541640

Here is a link showing the cost of ACA bronze plans for comparison. Texas only has one insurance company in the market for this group, BCBS Texas, so there is no competition. The other companies left the market since it was unprofitable. The lowest cost bronze plan is $598/month.

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ifp-client/quotepage.html

There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-thinking-about-retiring/page/2?hl=bigdog50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.