DSCN7403 (resized).JPG
F260D729-22D7-448F-B4B6-A7141D680748 (resized).jpeg
DD7F7AE8-78A4-4343-BA9D-2055888669AC (resized).jpeg
91UupbPoyFL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
DSCN6787 (resized).JPG
SCAN0089 (resized).JPG
DSCN7401 (resized).JPG
20191111_123446 (resized).jpg
There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 15.
#601 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Needles. in the middle of tumbleweeds and nowhere....

They ended up with a nice gameroom in their Fullerton house when all was said and done.

#602 3 years ago

This was our cheap apartment on La Paloma in San Clemente over the garage with included garage. A couple blocks from the ocean. I used to park my Jeep in that spot next to those palm trees and could fit two more vehicles in the driveway. Still probably my favorite place there.

After that I owned a condo a short ways from there with a one car and a two car garage, but sold it in the early 90s due to medical issues and burnout, and pops again let me move back in till I got my shit back together. He helped me a bunch and we rented it out for a short time before I did but that was a hassle and the renter turned into a deadbeat. I didn't need the stress. Neither did he. We made a little cash on it. It would be paid off by now. But, no regrets.

streetview (resized).jpegstreetview (resized).jpeg
#603 3 years ago

So, what to do on this day of retirement?

Perhaps I'll bust out the Jeep and drive up the hill a few blocks and see how much this neighborhood has really depreciated.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1970-Skyline-Dr-Fullerton-CA-92831/25117747_zpid/

#604 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So, what to do on this day of retirement?
Perhaps I'll bust out the Jeep and drive up the hill a few blocks and see how much this neighborhood has really depreciated.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1970-Skyline-Dr-Fullerton-CA-92831/25117747_zpid/

Or take a ride 15 miles away to El Monte....

#605 3 years ago

Well, that was fun. Lots of fancy houses up the hill where we used to park, but no people out and about. Hot today. On a clear day, you can see the ocean from here. I could make out Catalina Island through the haze.

And you can always see the ghost town that used to be the thriving Disneyland Resort a little less than halfway there.

And El Monte? No thanks! I'm sure their beer is no cheaper than ours.

#606 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Although I'm feeling very healthy despite all the vices, and I certainly have it easy and have made the best of it, this was never my dream.
Fullerton is one of the nicest cities most anybody could want to live in, but I spent most of my first 18 years trying to find a way out of here and live near the beach so I could surf at will. When I finally did, despite all the hard work, I surfed my ass off. Sometimes three or four sessions a day and on into the evening. Seems like a distant memory now.
Perhaps if I got a Mousin' Around I might be more content?
[quoted image]

Quit those cigarettes

#607 3 years ago

So retirement isn't much different than working?

I mean I'm sitting in front of a computer wasting a beautiful day posting on Pinside.

As far as the grass being greener, I've got a buddy that drives up from Huntington Beach because the dispensary a block from here is supposedly the best in the county now. And he lives real close to the ocean.

Quoted from PinRob:

Quit those cigarettes

"Warning for smoking"
Yeah, then I can start running 10Ks again. haha. They sure have gotten expensive. Like it's some kind of luxury or something.

#608 3 years ago

Just got in from an errand run, its 85 deg F outside here in Huntington Beach, that's nuts even for here on Jan 15!

#609 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Just got in from an errand run, its 85 deg F outside here in Huntington Beach, that's nuts even for here on Jan 15!

Yes, and you will be able to sleep with your windows open tonight. It's even much hotter here. Probably close to 100 now. I won't miss the beach as much when it cools back down.

#610 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'll quit my bickering now. Somehow Nimblepin makes the drive almost every morning to go surf. But, when they open this place back up, the traffic will again probably negate the fun.

They wont open it back up till they kill the economy. Thats the plan

#611 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

They wont open it back up till they kill the economy. Thats the plan

They can leave it like it is as far as I care. This place has been way overcrowded for years, with new arrivals pushing many long time residents including a lot of my friends out. And those that do stay have to to put up with their rudeness, their traffic, and their mini countries that are replicas of where they were so happy to leave in the first place.

Sorry to those that spent their lives trying to run a small business. But, many of them, including those that came from elsewhere to start them, we didn't need anyway.

It's insane that the property values keep going up. And around here, they are still selling as fast as they can list them. I figured it would be a ghost town by now.

#612 3 years ago

The true plight of the original Californians...such a sad tale.

#613 3 years ago

Yeah, it can be real rough around here sometimes. lol. First world problems indeed.

So, it's time to start the routine again. Adam-12 will be on in a few minutes. I'm so happy.

#614 3 years ago

Been waiting for Gimmie a Break to flip over. Fucking last seasons are recockulus. No OG family members and 2 Lawrence brothers....good grief.

#615 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, it can be real rough around here sometimes. lol. First world problems indeed.
So, it's time to start the routine again. Adam-12 will be on in a few minutes. I'm so happy.

The incidents you are about to see are true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent....

#616 3 years ago

I'd celebrate the diversity of cultures around here if I could get some decent Chinese takeout, but there is nothing above Panda Express for miles.

Gotta go to Whittier now.

#617 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The incidents you are about to see are true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent....

One Adam 12, a 415 fight group with chains and knives.. one adam 12.....

#618 3 years ago

I just needed to explain myself after that malcontent post last night. Hope I didn't bore or offend too many of you.

If I really wanted to relive the 90s, I could get a camper and live in this driveway in front of my garage, and rent a tiny studio in Clemente. Those were the best of both worlds. With a daughter and a son in law now, it may come to that again someday anyway. I'm ready.

#619 3 years ago

I am certainly ready.

One Adam 12... Roger.

#620 3 years ago

Reading this thread makes me look forward to retiring........ 7 more years.

#621 3 years ago

Martin Milner's other big series, harder to find reruns though....

#622 3 years ago

The garage at the house I grew up in isn't the worst. But it doesn't hold a candle to mine. I remember my dad had a keg out there and it didn't take much twisting of his arm to hand me a frosty glass. It was this day I figured out Budweiser can't be the king of beers. Then he paid me a nickel to sweep it. That was as much as my weekly allowance.

This is where I walk to everyday. To collect up the mail and make sure the sprinklers are working. I know every shrubbery along the way by heart now.

DSCN7396 (resized).JPGDSCN7396 (resized).JPG
#623 3 years ago

So, what's up with living out your years in Fullerton, how bad can it be?

Let's just say it is way better than moving to Irvine and dying right away.

#624 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

And your lucky enough to be able to get your weather report from David Lynch himself! I certainly enjoy it (and I’m on the other side of the world)

#625 3 years ago

O-din you could always get a mobile high rise apt. and enjoy the beach views from your back yard lol

139643663_1131934950592231_585621243020969516_n (resized).jpg139643663_1131934950592231_585621243020969516_n (resized).jpg
#626 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Exactly and while we do have a good amount each in 401 savings we can't just assume we'll die before say 72, we have to plan for the long haul and at $1,800+ alone for her and just general living costs it will get ate up within a decade or so.

When I turned 65 I got on Medicare. Medicare Part A costs nothing and covers very little. Part B, which costs $144.00 month; You don’t have to buy it but you a fool if you don’t.

But Part B, while it covers more than just Part A, is still limited. So, you need to buy Part C which is private insurance you buy. Part C is subsidized by the Federal Govt. My cost is 122.00 per month.

The insurance companies come courting you when you approach 65 because the Govt. subsidy pay them every month like clock work.

With Medicare your annual deductible is $184.00 per year.

So, with my Part B costing $144.00 month and Part C costing me $122.00 per month for a total I am spending $266.00 per month for full medical coverage and with only a $184.00 deductible.

Contrast that with Obamacare for $ 220.00 per month and a yearly $7500.00 deductible. So, if you really need Obamacare and get sick the first $10,000.00 per year is on you. This makes Medicare a screaming bargain.

The downside is prescription drugs . If you want drug coverage expect to pay around $100.00 month for the coverage, whether you use it or not.

All in all, because of healthcare costs, I never have been as happy as the day I turned 65. It was like someone lifted the weight off of Atlas’s shoulders.

#627 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

When I turned 65 I got on Medicare. Medicare Part A costs nothing and covers very little. Part B, which costs $144.00 month; You don’t have to buy it but you a fool if you don’t.
But Part B, while it covers more than just Part A, is still limited. So, you need to buy Part C which is private insurance you buy. Part C is subsidized by the Federal Govt. My cost is 122.00 per month.
The insurance companies come courting you when you approach 65 because the Govt. subsidy pay them every month like clock work.
With Medicare your annual deductible is $184.00 per year.
So, with my Part B costing $144.00 month and Part C costing me $122.00 per month for a total I am spending $266.00 per month for full medical coverage and with only a $184.00 deductible.
Contrast that with Obamacare for $ 220.00 per month and a yearly $7500.00 deductible. So, if you really need Obamacare and get sick the first $10,000.00 per year is on you. This makes Medicare a screaming bargain.
The downside is prescription drugs . If you want drug coverage expect to pay around $100.00 month for the coverage, whether you use it or not.
All in all, because of healthcare costs, I never have been as I was the day I turned 65. It was like someone lifted the weight off of Atlas’s shoulders.

LOL all the major milestones one hits in life if they are fortunate :

18 (Draft card, could vote and we could legally drink...well back in the day)
21 (more important now than in the past, you were an adult)
25 (Quarter Century, closer to 30 than 20 ugh!)
30 (do not trust anyone over 30)
40 (life begins at 40)
50 ( the new 40)
62 (Social Security eligible )
65 ( Medicare eligible thank god, closer to 70 than 60...F me!)

Tough time to retire with COVID going. Got all the time to do what you want but can not go anywhere to do it....
Stay safe

#628 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

They paid $50K for the house & property in '74. He was an retired Engineer for Union Pacific so he wanted a view of the ocean and railroad tracks

That is a nice house with an incredible location. We paid 40K in '73 for a house 2 blocks up in the 100 block. It was an extremely conservative retirement community. 17,000 people. In '78 (I was 18) my buddy and I ran the liquor store up the street so your friends probably knew us. Most people who lived there were cool and let us kids have fun. Before MADD, the cops drove me and a few others I know home when drunk. Unless you played golf at Shoreciffs or ate at Olemendis after he played, we didn't see much of Nixon.

#629 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I really wanted to relive the 90s, I could get a camper and live in this driveway in front of my garage, and rent a tiny studio in Clemente.

My wife made me buy a tuff shed to smoke pot in. Pretty comfortable in there.

20191111_123446 (resized).jpg20191111_123446 (resized).jpg
#630 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

One of the best benefits of my military service is the health care. Since most of my career is as a National Guardsman, full retirement health care does not kick in until age 60, but from 60 to 65 its 100% covered with just minimum deductibles and after that, a wrap around with Medicare Part A and Part B. While I am still active, it is pretty cheap, but in the "grey" area (from retirement to age 60), its a premium plan - however, you can enroll at ANY TIME, should the need arise. For that period, I will go back on my full time employer's insurance.

I tell all the young soldiers the health care is the best deal that comes with a full military retirement, but it's hard to them to think that far out.

#631 3 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

My wife made me buy a tuff shed to smoke pot in. Pretty comfortable in there.

I have a Tuff Shed too.

DSCN7401 (resized).JPGDSCN7401 (resized).JPG
#632 3 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

And your lucky enough to be able to get your weather report from David Lynch himself! I certainly enjoy it (and I’m on the other side of the world)

David Lynch RULES.

#633 3 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

LOL all the major milestones one hits in life if they are fortunate :
18 (Draft card, could vote and we could legally drink...well back in the day)
21 (more important now than in the past, you were an adult)
25 (Quarter Century, closer to 30 than 20 ugh!)
30 (do not trust anyone over 30)
40 (life begins at 40)
50 ( the new 40)
62 (Social Security eligible )
65 ( Medicare eligible thank god, closer to 70 than 60...F me!)
Tough time to retire with COVID going. Got all the time to do what you want but can not go anywhere to do it....
Stay safe

You left out 16. ( Driver's license ).

.................21 ( buy alcohol---legally )

13-18 ( Talking 'bout my generation. Hope I die before I get old ). We 60s' kids were a bunch of cheeky little bastards

#634 3 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

One of the best benefits of my military service is the health care. Since most of my career is as a National Guardsman, full retirement health care does not kick in until age 60, but from 60 to 65 its 100% covered with just minimum deductibles and after that, a wrap around with Medicare Part A and Part B. While I am still active, it is pretty cheap, but in the "grey" area (from retirement to age 60), its a premium plan - however, you can enroll at ANY TIME, should the need arise. For that period, I will go back on my full time employer's insurance.
I tell all the young soldiers the health care is the best deal that comes with a full military retirement, but it's hard to them to think that far out.

Since many people are not veterans, I did not mention my VA healthcare. It just looked like some items needed a little clearing up. Having VA healthcare is nice benefit. Plus, I live one mile from Bob Dole Regional Medical Center ( If I can't get them on the phone I just drive over )

My brother-in-law stayed the full 20 in the Nat'l Guard. He gets government medical, the company he retired from pays for full retirement medical benefits, and he gets Medicare. But yet, he kept saying Obamacare would not work ( in a way he has been right. Obamacare in its current form does not do much except for people with pre-existing conditions).

My sister-in-law is the same way. My brother (deceased) retired from the Navy; He was given an opportunity to buy some kind of healthcare policy. My sister-in-law is golden. She has that policy, she has the govt. Tri-care, and social security. She said the same thing. Obamacare would not work. She came down with Stage 4 breast cancer. All the drugs, all the doctors, the hospitals never cost her a penny.

I started paying attention, and in my experience, everybody who said Obamacare would not work all had solid gold health care without any kind of worry. Sort of like I got mine, but you can go screw yourself.

5 years ago I kept hearing Obamacare was going to go away and be replaced "with something great". I'm still waiting for something great.

Everybody should thank the late John McCain or there would be nothing at all.

If I had it to do over again, when I left the Navy, I would have signed up for the Reserves. But I was young and dumb and did not wanting anyone telling me how to cut my hair (complete idiocy on my part).

EDIT: To be elgible for VA healthcare, you have to have one full calendar year of close to poverty wages to be accepted. I was laid off from my good paying job in June. The money I made in the previous 6 months made me ineligible. So I had to wait for the next year for my annual wage to be low enough for the VA to let me in. It was 18 months of Obamacare, biting my fingernails and hoping I did not become ill.

#636 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If I had it to do over again, when I left the Navy, I would have signed up for the Reserves. But I was young and dumb and did not wanting anyone telling me how to cut my hair (complete idiocy on my part).

After I left active service, I went into the reserves because it was a pretty good part time job for a college student (still is). I did ROTC while in school because it was an extra $100 a month. Went into the Guard after graduating but resigned my commission around 14 years of service because of the time commitment. After 9/11, felt like I made a mistake and went back in (surprisingly easy to do, went before a board, they asked some questions and then said raise your right hand!). Still going long after I hit 20 years and locked in the healthcare, guess its all the free travel to exotic places that keeps me in

#637 3 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Reading this thread makes me look forward to retiring........ 7 more years.

I'm looking forward to retiring too....probably in 30 more years :/

#638 3 years ago

Not really much has changed around here since the 90s, except one of these friends of mine is still alive.

SCAN0089 (resized).JPGSCAN0089 (resized).JPG

DSCN6787 (resized).JPGDSCN6787 (resized).JPG

Not sure what that glare stripe is, possible photo defect.

#639 3 years ago

Andy in the top photo, his game was Mousin' Around. Oh, we had a lot of fun back then. RIP buddy!

#640 3 years ago

Does anyone here Think they just want to be done? I have nothing to look forward to, my kids are gone, I go to work every day and deal with scumbags pushing cars that I finance myself and maybe they will pay and maybe not. I go home to my wife, I love her and she is a wonderful woman, and we eat and watch TV and go to sleep and get up and do it all over again. Add to that the fact that this country as we know it is over, it will no longer be a free and prosperous country. Things will go downhill from here. I find myself looking forward to the heart attack or the high speed accident on the bike or the corvette or something of that nature. If I didnt have faith in God and a family... . Funny thing is, when my kids were young I didnt appreciate them nearly as much as I should have. Or is it just me?

#641 3 years ago

I'm retired-'beats the crap out of working!

#642 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Does anyone here Think they just want to be done? I have nothing to look forward to, my kids are gone, I go to work every day and deal with scumbags pushing cars that I finance myself and maybe they will pay and maybe not. I go home to my wife, I love her and she is a wonderful woman, and we eat and watch TV and go to sleep and get up and do it all over again. Add to that the fact that this country as we know it is over, it will no longer be a free and prosperous country. Things will go downhill from here. I find myself looking forward to the heart attack or the high speed accident on the bike or the corvette or something of that nature. If I didnt have faith in God and a family... . Funny thing is, when my kids were young I didnt appreciate them nearly as much as I should have. Or is it just me?

Whooaaa buddy! Take two beers and some deep breaths. It’s a beautiful world out there. The US of A is okay! We survived Clinton, Obama, and just barely- I mean barely- well there is a few more days- Trump. If the dollar stabilizes and the blue wave doesn’t capitulate to China and tax our corporations to oblivion- some good days ahead for the US! We need to get rid of this electric vehicle nonsense and back to roaring, unnecessary HP! Our gasoline is not measured in metric!! Go out and buy something with over 500 hp and get back to us. Torque is your friend- don’t buy those 700hp monsters that can’t turn.

#643 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Every morning, you can wake up and choose to let negative energy control your life or choose to live with positivity.

#644 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

it is cash all the way. If I can't pay for it I don't need it.

I recommend getting a credit card that has really good cash rewards. Pay it off every month, and you end up with free money to spend, safety of not carrying cash, and protections if you need to charge back anything.

As far as retiring, I have no plans to ever retire. But I am self-employed and enjoy the different things I do.

So far I have only worked 1 day this month, last month I worked 4 days. (the construction stuff that I like the least).

When in season I work a lot more cutting grass for friends and neighbors and my rental houses. To me cutting grass is not work, I enjoy it and I do not have to get up early or travel far to do it. Not to mention this zero turn is very fast, reminds me of the go-cart I had when I was a kid.

I have actually been a little bored the last few weeks, I really enjoy cutting and splitting firewood, and I have not had any to get dropped off for me to play with lately. It is relaxing and great exercise.

I never had a 9-5 type job except for when I was a teen and did that one summer in the work program so that I would be able to get out of school early. I hated school, bored the hell out of me.

I did work for myself for close to 20 years working around 80 hours a week. Now for the last several years, no way will I work over 20-30 hours in a week unless I am just really having fun.

I hope to live for a very long time, but if I killed over today, I could not complain, I have had a fun life.

#645 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I’ve turned off most social media and tv.
That alone has helped my outlook tremendously.
A nice long walk doesn’t hurt either.
Mix up routines, it stretches the mind and helps the spirit.

#646 3 years ago

For those who worry about staying busy during retirement, you will have a few days each month where you may be bored out of your mind but it sure beats having to work that 8 to 5 grind.

#647 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

I’ve turned off most social media and tv.
That alone has helped my outlook tremendously.
A nice long walk doesn’t hurt either.
Mix up routines, it stretches the mind and helps the spirit.

This x 10

Do it.

rd

#648 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's insane that the property values keep going up. And around here, they are still selling as fast as they can list them

Hell, you could probably sell your place for enough money to buy a place somewhere else on the beach, and have a whole lot left over for retirement.

Yeah, the humidity does suck in the southeast, but prices for real estate are a whole lot better.

I love my place, but not my area anymore.

My place is worth around 250 currently, if it ever goes to a mil I would be tempted to look at moving somewhere else.

I would be tempted, but hell no, all the work I have done improving my place to my taste the last 30 years, I am too old to even try to mess with trying to make a new place as good as what I have.

One good thing about warehouse clubs for shopping is you can just go out one time every 3-4 months and stock up enough that you can stay in your own space.

I will try to do everything I can to protect my property, but now not supposed to fire a gun.

A gun is the easiest way, other than that I could try traps, or building walls or something, but that gets expensive.

They should just make it legal to kill all these intruders messing up our lives.

Stubbs was the best dog I have ever had, the coolest dog ever, and while out in my fenced in yard those coyotes just killed him.

Those evil beasts are everywhere now. I stay at home as much as I can so that I never have to look at one again.

I do miss not having a awesome dog around. Maybe someday even though my property was already fenced, I can fence it better to have another awesome dog, without some bs something that does not belong here but I am in trouble to kill it, killing another of my loved ones.

In the meantime... once the virus stuff is no longer a issue, I would like to do free work at the pound, giving some dogs some attention they need.

I miss the way my neighborhood used to be, lots of awesome dogs around!

#649 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

For those who worry about staying busy during retirement, you will have a few days each month where you may be bored out of your mind but it sure beats having to work that 8 to 5 grind.

Just shows that we are all different, I have not had one day of boredom even in a pandemic.
Anything beats that 8 to 5 grind, so true.

#650 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I go to work every day and deal with scumbags pushing cars that I finance myself and maybe they will pay and maybe not

Sounds like you are selling cars for a living. And a big part of the day can be "just looking out the window". Yes? I had a tote lot for 3 years. It is a tough business and an entire different universe of people to deal with; Everybody needs a car and has no money; And they think you are made of it. It sucks when you have to go out a repossess a car.
nd
Tough love here: You and your wife need to find something you both can be passionate about: Together. Does not matter much what it is.

You have zero pins in your collection and hang on a pinball site. Go buy a pinball machine, maybe? If you have room in your office, place a pin in there. It will give you something to do besides looking out the window waiting for the next prospect.

If a pin won't do it for you, Look for a square dance club. I did that years ago and it can be a lot of fun; You don't have to be good at it. Just be willing to try. It used to not cost much and you will meet people. And it is good exercise.

There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-thinking-about-retiring/page/13?hl=jamesmc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.