DSCN7403 (resized).JPG
F260D729-22D7-448F-B4B6-A7141D680748 (resized).jpeg
DD7F7AE8-78A4-4343-BA9D-2055888669AC (resized).jpeg
91UupbPoyFL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
DSCN6787 (resized).JPG
SCAN0089 (resized).JPG
DSCN7401 (resized).JPG
20191111_123446 (resized).jpg
There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 15.
#551 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

For all of you who are retired....did you have a plan of what you were going to do after calling it quits or did you just wing it? I’m getting close with no idea what I would do to fill my day. I think I need a purpose/ reason to get out of bed each day.

I still help people with their films and projects. I work on graphics for people. I layout 2 magazines. I'm working on my series of books...Candid Monsters (on volume 9 now) and finished my book on Making The Deadly Spawn. Lucky to be having fun every day. (usually ends up with tequila and a cigar!)

Deadly Spawn Cover 8.5x11140 st (resized).jpgDeadly Spawn Cover 8.5x11140 st (resized).jpgcandid monsters 8 covers (resized).jpgcandid monsters 8 covers (resized).jpg
#552 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Once they were gone through, they were very stable. However, when I bought this one, like so many others, it was a nightmare to drive. I almost wrecked driving home from Ohio after I bought it. It was only after I had Jeff at Sirum GMC in Okeechobee, FL and his crew work on it, that it became a dream to drive.
I had the 403. The 455 was stopped mid-production in 1977, unfortunately. The 403 did okay, but it could have used fuel injection. I had forgotten how smelly a Quadrajet carb could be. Mileage 8mpg, like they all are.
I sold it in Florida, because I didn't have a garage to keep it in and the sun down there is brutal on fiberglass. I wish I would have kept it. I own an '08 Winnebago now, and while it's more comfortable and bigger, it's not as fun to drive. I may get another GMC someday.
footnote: here's one like mine, but a 1977. I cried when they crashed it....

I’m crying, too. Sad. Hollywood.

#553 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I still help people with their films and projects. I work on graphics for people. I layout 2 magazines. I'm working on my series of books...Candid Monsters (on volume 9 now) and finished my book on Making The Deadly Spawn. Lucky to be having fun every day. (usually ends up with tequila and a cigar!)
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's a cool way to spend your retirement, especially if you can make a little cash along the way.

#554 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

I spent the first 6 months traveling across the U.S. in a 1978 GMC motorhome I had fixed up. 27 states. Landed in Florida and enjoyed year round sunshine and got a pt job at a small airport to stay busy. In essence, I winged it. No regrets![quoted image]

Jack Rebney approves!

E16748D1-9811-4DEA-B8A5-052213E32F63 (resized).jpegE16748D1-9811-4DEA-B8A5-052213E32F63 (resized).jpeg
#555 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Thanks. I kept the interior original, only replacing the carpet (these pics don't show that, though). This was the Kingsley model. Models were differentiated by colors and floorplan layout. Also, they made GMC's in 23' and 26' versions. This was the 26' and more of those were made. 1978 was the last year they made them.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The spare tire cover is from '78 too!! Nice!

#556 3 years ago

O-din,retiring is a state of mind! Most people( like my Dad) retire when the place their working at says your done! Most of us Baby-Boomers never worked in one place long enough for the free gold watch>so if you are financially self sufficiant,and head is above water,THEN,my friend, you get up each morning and do whatever your heart desires!!! Now,this will start you gaining weight, and,your joints will start to freeze up on you,like many of us, head to the gym!!Or,live a active lifestyle! Or figure something else.your retired and do whatever your heart desires,C??? Good luck, have fun,B safe!!!

#557 3 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

The spare tire cover is from '78 too!! Nice!

Yep, and the title track was my mantra immediately after I retired.

#558 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Yep, and the title track

Boy did I read that wrong!!

#559 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

O-din,retiring is a state of mind! Most people( like my Dad) retire when the place their working at says your done! Most of us Baby-Boomers never worked in one place long enough for the free gold watch>so if you are financially self sufficiant,and head is above water,THEN,my friend, you get up each morning and do whatever your heart desires!!! Now,this will start you gaining weight, and,your joints will start to freeze up on you,like many of us, head to the gym!!Or,live a active lifestyle! Or figure something else.your retired and do whatever your heart desires,C??? Good luck, have fun,B safe!!!

I sat at a computer screen 60+ hours a week for 25 years...highly stressed. Quick path to obesity and other health issues! Fortunately, I was able to retire fairly young and reclaim my health. Became a gym rat, hired a cook and trainer who showed me how to eat clean and train hard (photo below).

Filled the past 10 years of retirement with music, live concerts, pinball, training and caring for my health. Was definitely blind-sided by the high cost of healthcare...the healthcare insurance business is a total scam.

IMG_7576 (resized).jpegIMG_7576 (resized).jpeg
#560 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Was definitely blind-sided by the high cost of healthcare...the healthcare insurance business is a total scam.

I can’t believe you guys haven’t all figured that out yet.

Example - I’m sitting right now waiting in a breast cancer clinic in NZ with someone. The lady had a mammogram (free every year) in December, they saw something, contacted her to come back the next week, now surgery is scheduled for February.

Cost ... $0.

Why wouldn’t anyone want a system like that?

Mind boggling.

rd

#561 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Example - I’m sitting right now waiting in a breast cancer clinic in NZ with someone. The lady had a mammogram (free every year) in December, they saw something, contacted her to come back the next week, now surgery is scheduled for February.
Cost ... $0.
Mind boggling.
rd

Dude, its about FREEDOM.

You wouldn't understand.

#562 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dude, its about FREEDOM.
You wouldn't understand.

Yeah, I heard.

rd

#563 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Cost ... $0.
Mind boggling.
rd

Why? Stupidity & corruption, two hallmarks of our flawed society.

My monthly cost for healthcare for my wife and I is $2,500 per/month. Now, you are probably thinking that I have some "platinum", 0 deductible plan Nope. High f-ing deductible. The high cost is because it's a PPO where I get to choose from the widest range of providers. Last year, my wife and I had 3 ER visits. Out-of-pocket cost was $20,000! No joke, rd. As I said, it's a f-ing scam. The ACA does well for subsidizing poor folks (which is fine), however the middle and upper middle class folks get screwed, big time.

#564 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Those retro channels are cool. I was flipping the channels the other day, and randomly happened onto the very first episode of Adam 12. It was pretty intense! A young Kent McCord really got his ass chewed out by Martin Milner.

Yeah, Kent McCord plays the young happily married one, and Milner is the older eternal bachelor, so they make a good pair. We watched it when it was new as children, but I'm picking up on things now that I either forgot or never noticed. Always great to see how LA looked then compared to now with all the old cars and some real characters. Some of the things there no way would do they now.

#565 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, I heard.
rd

Did you lose your FREEDOM RD?

#566 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Did you lose your FREEDOM RD?

Yeah, I turned it into a Led Zeppelin.

3E700BB7-7D21-42A6-8DA9-CD76EBF6C81E (resized).jpeg3E700BB7-7D21-42A6-8DA9-CD76EBF6C81E (resized).jpeg8A87A51D-2E03-4DC3-8205-B5320ECFC7CC (resized).jpeg8A87A51D-2E03-4DC3-8205-B5320ECFC7CC (resized).jpeg
#567 3 years ago

Looks like Plant lost a little something there.

#568 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, no need for big cocks on my pins. Lol

rd

#569 3 years ago
big-cock (resized).jpegbig-cock (resized).jpeg
#570 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

20210114_183121 (resized).jpg20210114_183121 (resized).jpg
#571 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

My monthly cost for healthcare for my wife and I is $2,500 per/month. Now, you are probably thinking that I have some "platinum", 0 deductible plan Nope. High f-ing deductible. The high cost is because it's a PPO where I get to choose from the widest range of providers. Last year, my wife and I had 3 ER visits. Out-of-pocket cost was $20,000! No joke, rd. As I said, it's a f-ing scam. The ACA does well for subsidizing poor folks (which is fine), however the middle and upper middle class folks get screwed, big time.

That is exactly why I had to go back to work. I get medicare and medicaid so my health costs aren't to bad but wife isn't old enough to get benefits and as I said her health care alone is $1.800+ with an additional $1,500 for oxygen tanks. Her emphysema is advanced enough she really can't work work anymore and I'm lucky in that I'm in very good shape and can or it would eventually bury us and we both have good 401's and her pension when she can get it. I'll work for another 2-3 yrs, maybe on the outside if she wants to wait for full retirement age and then I'll call it quits again. Health care is a huge burden if you're not of age to get it.

#572 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

That is exactly why I had to go back to work. I get medicare and medicaid so my health costs aren't to bad but wife isn't old enough to get benefits and as I said her health care alone is $1.800+ with an additional $1,500 for oxygen tanks. Her emphysema is advanced enough she really can't work work anymore and I'm lucky in that I'm in very good shape and can or it would eventually bury us and we both have good 401's and her pension when she can get it. I'll work for another 2-3 yrs, maybe on the outside if she wants to wait for full retirement age and then I'll call it quits again. Health care is a huge burden if you're not of age to get it.

Our government was really close to lowering the medicare age to 60...that would have been a helpful incremental step. Unfortunately, it didn't pass.

#573 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

I can close my 401k at 55 with no penalty. I’m doing the same. Pay off my house and truck and get a eazy job at autozone.

For me it was 56 as they raised the retirement point system from 85 to 86 points and I started when I was 23 years old. The early withdraw penalty being cancelled if you legally retire before 59 1/2 was a nice feature.

#574 3 years ago

Today I went today back to the Plant I retired from. Closed, all the Logos taken from the front. I couldn't see my old office since black plastic was draped just inside the windows.
Went to Bldg.1 where I ran a myriad of filling machines for 15 years. Looking through a warehouse window I could see the entire place was empty, cleaned.
Called the main office in Michigan, the Receptionist told me the guy who handles Real Estate was gone, yeah, gone gone.

#575 3 years ago

Although I'm feeling very healthy despite all the vices, and I certainly have it easy and have made the best of it, this was never my dream.

Fullerton is one of the nicest cities most anybody could want to live in, but I spent most of my first 18 years trying to find a way out of here and live near the beach so I could surf at will. When I finally did, despite all the hard work, I surfed my ass off. Sometimes three or four sessions a day and on into the evening. Seems like a distant memory now.

Perhaps if I got a Mousin' Around I might be more content?

DSCN7395 (resized).JPGDSCN7395 (resized).JPG
#576 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'd be content with that killer Comet you have, that is one badass pin

#577 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Boy did I read that wrong!!
[quoted image]

Ted, you are awesome. When I grow up I wanna be just like you.

QSS

#578 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I sat at a computer screen 60+ hours a week for 25 years...highly stressed. Quick path to obesity and other health issues! Fortunately, I was able to retire fairly young and reclaim my health. Became a gym rat, hired a cook and trainer who showed me how to eat clean and train hard (photo below).
Filled the past 10 years of retirement with music, live concerts, pinball, training and caring for my health. Was definitely blind-sided by the high cost of healthcare...the healthcare insurance business is a total scam.
[quoted image]

What kind of work did u use to do?

#579 3 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

What kind of work did u use to do?

Software design/development/management (focus on programming languages, tools, & operating systems).

#580 3 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Ted, you are awesome. When I grow up I wanna be just like you.

Just start smoking cigars and drinking tequila....to start...

#581 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Just start smoking cigars and drinking tequila....to start...

You forgot also have to wear Hawaiian shirts and hang with movie types

#582 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Although I'm feeling very healthy despite all the vices, and I certainly have it easy and have made the best of it, this was never my dream.
Fullerton is one of the nicest cities most anybody could want to live in, but I spent most of my first 18 years trying to find a way out of here and live near the beach so I could surf at will. When I finally did, despite all the hard work, I surfed my ass off. Sometimes three or four sessions a day and on into the evening. Seems like a distant memory now.
[quoted image]

I wish I had your uninsulated, bare wall garage and that nice Cali weather.

#583 3 years ago

It's fish out of water syndrome. It happens every so often especially when the weather gets hot. Like many other surfers I knew, they were simply priced out of living a few blocks from the ocean.

#584 3 years ago

I have to make a correction, all this talk about retirement and insurance got me thinking so I ask my wife (she takes care of all that stuff for us) and low and behold all this time I thought I had Medicare and Medicaid, turns out I was turned down on state Medicaid because I'm not indigent... so we pay into this stuff our whole life and can't receive the benefit unless we lose all we ever worked for throughout our lives, what a load of BS. So all I have is Medicare

#585 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

Really depends on expenses and cash fund you have stashed. Speaking as someone that works on pins and arcades for a living...it’s not all fun and games! Health care is definitely a negative unless you have a spouse that can cover you. I will warn you it will ruin your hobby over time. I hardly touch my personal games anymore. Not fun playing pinball after working on them all day.
Start doing more side jobs while keeping your job and see if it want you want

He speaks the truth!

Also, Healthcare is no biggie as long as you have like $1800/mo to cover it.

#586 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's fish out of water syndrome. It happens every so often especially when the weather gets hot. Like many other surfers I knew, they were simply priced out of living a few blocks from the ocean.

I can't imagine what it would cost to live by the beach in Cali now. Is your mom doing well? .Mine is OK.

#587 3 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Also, Healthcare is no biggie as long as you have like $1800/mo to cover it.

Exactly and while we do have a good amount each in 401 savings we can't just assume we'll die before say 72, we have to plan for the long haul and at $1,800+ alone for her and just general living costs it will get ate up within a decade or so.

#588 3 years ago

My dad once told me you have to live where you want to be. Well, at one time that made more sense. He loved the ocean too, but was also practical so he moved into this house when my grandma passed in '79. But he also had his boat docked in the harbor where he could spend his weekends or whenever,

I moved in here with him shortly after that for a spell and fell in love with the garage. When I moved to San Clemente in the early 80s, it was actually cheaper to live there and it was close to my new job I took in south OC. Two bedroom apartment a block from the beach was $400 a month. We were living large then.

In 2003 when he passed away, I had to make a choice. At the same time my daughter's mom took the girls and moved out. I also lost my job. And rents and house prices were skyrocketing. I shook hands with my brother in the driveway and bought him out of his half. Sometimes it is more practical to sacrifice a dream for some kind of security I guess.

#589 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sometimes it is more practical to sacrifice a dream for some kind of security I guess.

Spoken like a true sage

#590 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I have to make a correction, all this talk about retirement and insurance got me thinking so I ask my wife (she takes care of all that stuff for us) and low and behold all this time I thought I had Medicare and Medicaid, turns out I was turned down on state Medicaid because I'm not indigent... so we pay into this stuff our whole life and can't receive the benefit unless we lose all we ever worked for throughout our lives, what a load of BS. So all I have is Medicare

You don't want to qualify for Medicaid, trust me. Own a car? Rules say you must sell them. Of course you don't own any pinball machines, they are worth big bucks to the average person analyzing your net-worth.....

#591 3 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

I can't imagine what it would cost to live by the beach in Cali now. Is your mom doing well? .Mine is OK.

She's fine and here is a for example. I remember when this would have been closer to $100K.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/133-W-Avenida-Cadiz-San-Clemente-CA-92672/25599667_zpid/

#592 3 years ago

I'll quit my bickering now. Somehow Nimblepin makes the drive almost every morning to go surf. But, when they open this place back up, the traffic will again probably negate the fun.

#593 3 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Pretty much this. Also depends on your definition of "by" the beach. I am 6 miles away and the decrepit houses around here hit almost this mark.

1-million-dollars (resized).png1-million-dollars (resized).png

#594 3 years ago

Location, location, location.....

#595 3 years ago

The dream is not totally out of reach though. This is about what I could sell my house for now. It's been a solid investment.

But where's the garage? You want a garage near the beach and you gotta pay! I don't think I could be happy living in a cubicle. Nice weekend place though.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/419-Monterey-Ln-APT-5-San-Clemente-CA-92672/25697627_zpid/?

#596 3 years ago

A friend's parents owned this place in it's prior state. It was similar to the one on Avenida in size. When they passed away eight years ago,, they got $2.5M. New owner immediately tore it down, I mean Remodeled it into the place you see today. Has better views and closer to the ocean than Nixon's old Western White House three miles to the Southeast.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/338-W-Paseo-De-Cristobal,-san-clemente,-ca_rb/25600529_zpid/

Location, location, location....

#597 3 years ago

Cristobal is a super nice street in a super nice neighborhood above T- Street. They were always pricy, but nowhere near what they are now.

#598 3 years ago

They paid $50K for the house & property in '74. He was an retired Engineer for Union Pacific so he wanted a view of the ocean and railroad tracks

#599 3 years ago

My friend's parents owned a beach front house at 32nd Street in Newport which they sold in the early 70s for less than that so they could buy and reopen a defunct bowling alley in Needles. That did not end well.

#600 3 years ago

Needles. in the middle of tumbleweeds and nowhere....

There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-thinking-about-retiring/page/12?hl=lowbeau67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.