DSCN7403 (resized).JPG
F260D729-22D7-448F-B4B6-A7141D680748 (resized).jpeg
DD7F7AE8-78A4-4343-BA9D-2055888669AC (resized).jpeg
91UupbPoyFL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
DSCN6787 (resized).JPG
SCAN0089 (resized).JPG
DSCN7401 (resized).JPG
20191111_123446 (resized).jpg

There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 15.
#501 3 years ago

It's been warming up nicely over the last few days, so on this day of retirement, I may have to take this beauty out for a little ride.

Don't know where I'm going to get the next smog test for it, but it's legal and passed the last one, so who cares! I surely don't.

DSCN7392 (resized).JPGDSCN7392 (resized).JPG
#502 3 years ago

Joined the club 12/31 at age 61. Was going to bail earlier in the year (around March), but didn't feel like walking out the door with the COVID spinning up and the markets going crazy. Still could have done it, just decided to let the dust settle first. Plus I was busy anyways and they wanted me to stay.

Kind of an odd feeling since I've been doing a mix of WFH and going in (and I went part time to ease into it). But even when I went in, the place was maybe at 30% occupied. Plus I mostly stayed in the lab with only 4-5 people. So it's more like a feeling of just walking out the door w/o saying a proper goodbye and shaking hands with co-workers.

#503 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Enjoy it brother life is so short! Ironic you work on and worked in the car industry as that's what I do now, I manage an Auto Zone store. I don't make what I did over my previous Mgmt career but it's easy and I'll only be doing for a 2-3 yr stretch. Funny cause I really don't know shit about cars but I have a computer and many around me that do lol. I do know business and budgets and can meet or exceed any ROI benchmarks given the proper resources and a good team under me.

Sucks you have to go back to work. I’m glad autozone worked out for you. I would felt like ass for suggesting it.

#504 3 years ago

Still have both my jobs, but the closer I get to retirement from the National Guard, the further away it seems to get.
Guess I am trading demands on my time for $$$ to build a better shop and finish up some projects so when the military retirement does come, I can focus more on the hobby.

Excited for you @o-din, enjoy your freedom and your rebuilt Jeep. My 87 is sitting in the driveway with a partial install of a fuel injector kit...

#505 3 years ago

Congratulations Odin.58 is a good age to retire(same as me) Enjoy it

P.s. toss that alarm clock.

#506 3 years ago

Speaking of Camry's and retirement; As I am semi-retired now (haven't worked for over three months) and I collect pensions from my previous employer; I took a nice road trip last week. While it wasn't in one of my fun cars, I drove my Mother's 2007 Camry out to Las Vegas where my sister took it the rest of the way to her place in San Diego. 2007 and it just turned over 15,000 miles when she got it home. I did put new tires on it for the trip. Decided to drive last minute with my open schedule and the weather looked to be good for the drive.

20210105_145254 (resized).jpg20210105_145254 (resized).jpg20210106_185921 (resized).jpg20210106_185921 (resized).jpg20210108_082205 (resized).jpg20210108_082205 (resized).jpg
#507 3 years ago

It's a bummer reading through this thread and realizing Who dey never lived to see his retirement.
Obviously nobody knows how many tomorrows any of us has left, so if you can do what you really what to do in life, then do it. I wont waste anymore time working a fulltime job than is absolutely necessary

#508 3 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

It's a bummer reading through this thread and realizing Who dey never lived to see his retirement.
Obviously nobody knows how many tomorrows any of us has left, so if you can do what you really what to do in life, then do it. I wont waste anymore time working a fulltime job than is absolutely necessary

Agreed. And with working remotely possible for certain professions, there is no reason to live where you don't like the weather if you are not required to be there for your job. My wife and I are done with the constant grey skies around here. This our last Winter season here.

A co-worker friend has been working remotely from his home country of Egypt for the past several months. The time zone difference means he works the afternoon shift. But he's young.

#509 3 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

^^^this! Factory(or any kind) work can break you down. I plan on working for 21 more years. My wife is getting broke down from it. Hopefully she will get a lunch lady job or something part time.

#510 3 years ago

Part of what got me here was learning decades ago to stay out of debt. Don't need anything that bad, that I have to borrow money to own it. No car payments or anything like that. Helps that I can fix almost anything. Some can't I guess. I don't pay anyone to do anything I can do or figure out how to including my own yard. And, the more you make, the more they take. Keeping this house in the family for generations instead of cashing out so I could live at the beach has also proved to be the right decision.

I also learned to value my own time more than making lots of money for others so they can own a yacht or an expensive RV. Homie don't play that game. Working too many hours for someone else can wear you down.

Quoted from Slugmeister:

P.s. toss that alarm clock.

I've been sleeping on the couch for the last few weeks because it is the first place I hit when I come in at night and it is so comfy. Can't even see a clock from there. Just the sun shining in first thing in the morning.

#511 3 years ago

I hope to join the retirement club in 4 years at 58.
At that point I’ll have my house and a couple of rentals paid off.
I’ve worked at the same place for 29 years and built up a small pension of 30k with lifetime medical.
The passing of Who-Dey really hit me, so this is the first year I’m taking all of my vacation time off.
Time to start dialing back on the stress.

#512 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Part of what got me here was learning decades ago to stay out of debt. Don't need anything that bad, that I have to borrow money to own it. No car payments or anything like that. Helps that I can fix almost anything. Some can't I guess. And, the more you make, the more they take. Keeping this house in the family for generations instead of cashing out so I could live at the beach has also proved to be the right decision.
I also learned to value my own time more than making lots of money for others so they can own a yacht or an expensive RV. Homie don't play that game. Working too many hours for someone else can wear you down.

I've been sleeping on the couch for the last few weeks because it is the first place I hit when I come in at night and it is so comfy. Can't even see a clock from there. Just the sun shining in first thing in the morning.

I’ve come to the realization that working for others sucks balls, so I’m shifting gears(pun intended), I’m buying a rig w/tanker and hitting the road. I’m in an awesome spot where I’ll instantly have more work than I can handle. A little stressful at my age but I’d rather fail than to have never tried.

#513 3 years ago

So much free time that I spent the last hour watching congress argue on the TV out in the garage. Do any of these people actually work for a living?

Edit- Gunsmoke is on another channel. Way more entertaining.

#514 3 years ago

I retired 5 years ago at age 50. Eight months after retiring, my wife came down with cancer. I'm glad I was retired, because it's been a full time job trying to kick cancer's butt. It's ongoing and I really feel for those who don't have insurance or have to fight it while having to work.

#515 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I’ve come to the realization that working for others sucks balls, so I’m shifting gears(pun intended), I’m buying a rig w/tanker and hitting the road

Awesome move man, that’ll be cool! Great way to see the country.

Don’t forget to get a CB radio too.

rd

#516 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Don’t forget to get a CB radio too.

And the Preparation H!

#517 3 years ago

Congrats on your retirement o-din!

#518 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And the Preparation H!

And the empty Gatorade jugs

#519 3 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Congrats on your retirement o-din!

Thanks guys!

On days where nothing else is planned, and I don't want to spend much money, it's good to have a routine of sorts. Now that I am back from my walk, it is almost time to crack the first beer of the day.

The next few hours will be mostly spent in the garage consuming, and tinkering and playing pinball. Of course with some classic TV on in the background. Adam-12 and The Flintstones FTW!

#520 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Thanks guys!
On days where nothing else is planned, and I don't want to spend much money, it's good to have a routine of sorts. Now that I am back from my walk, it is almost time to crack the first beer of the day.
The next few hours will be mostly spent in the garage consuming, and tinkering and playing pinball. Of course with some classic TV on in the background. Adam-12 and The Flintstones FTW!

Those retro channels are cool. I was flipping the channels the other day, and randomly happened onto the very first episode of Adam 12. It was pretty intense! A young Kent McCord really got his ass chewed out by Martin Milner.

#521 3 years ago

Nice Odin. Watch some combat for me. Gratz on retirement. Watch some Munsters for whodey.

#522 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

It was pretty intense! A young Kent McCord really got his ass chewed out by Martin Milner.

Oooh! I gotta see that

#523 3 years ago

Wish you the best of luck . Follow your passion .

#524 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Part of what got me here was learning decades ago to stay out of debt. Don't need anything that bad, that I have to borrow money to own it. No car payments or anything like that. Helps that I can fix almost anything. Some can't I guess. I don't pay anyone to do anything I can do or figure out how to including my own yard. And, the more you make, the more they take. Keeping this house in the family for generations instead of cashing out so I could live at the beach has also proved to be the right decision.

Same here, man. I bought a Ford Pickup on payments and could not wait to get it paid off. Other than that and a mortgage on my house, it is cash all the way. If I can't pay for it I don't need it.

After being in my house for 15 years with a 30 year mortgage, I had some extra cash and paid it off.

After I was laid off for good and too young for Medicare I had to go the Obamacare route. That was costing me $220.00 premium per month with a $7500.00 deductible. The first $7500.00 was yours plus the premium. I could not wait to turn 65 so I could get Medicare. Now I spend around $200.00 month with a $184.00 annual deductible,

My questions to you all who are retiring early is how are you dealing with health insurance?

#525 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My questions to you all who are retiring early is how are you dealing with health insurance?

Spouse (in 4 years).

#526 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Other than that and a mortgage on my house, it is cash all the way. If I can't pay for it I don't need it.

That is the secret recipe, right there.

So easy!! But so few people do it.

If you haven’t got the cash in your pocket, you don’t need whatever it is. Pretty easy rule to live by.

rd

#527 3 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

I hope to join the retirement club in 4 years at 58.
At that point I’ll have my house and a couple of rentals paid off.
I’ve worked at the same place for 29 years and built up a small pension of 30k with lifetime medical.
The passing of Who-Dey really hit me, so this is the first year I’m taking all of my vacation time off.
Time to start dialing back on the stress.

My employer of 32 years took away retiree Medical coverage at year 25, even for those already retired. "Grandfathering" was for six months for them. They tried the class-action deal and got nowhere. The benefits and pension booklets employees were given (mine in 1985) had fine print stating that the COmpaNy reserves the right to modify benefits at any time, including after vesting and any other events including retirement.

My only issue is medical insurance. I'm on MsBally's insurance these days. May go on Bidencare if he keeps his word.

#528 3 years ago

I saw something interesting on my walk today. A lady much younger than I also wearing less clothes than I walking down the hill I was going up. I turned and she turned and we exchanged howdys just like the old days.

#529 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

A lady much younger than I also wearing less clothes

Be careful, they can mess up your retirement real fast.

#530 3 years ago

11 birthday's 'til retirement!

After that I'll find a job watering plants at a greenhouse to pass the time/keep me busy.

#531 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

11 birthday's 'til retirement!
After that I'll find a job watering plants at a greenhouse to pass the time/keep me busy.

Here's something a retired Bally slot machine sales guy has been doing during retirement. He also worked at the NSM North America office selling Jukeboxes....

https://abc7chicago.com/graue-mill-family-oak-brook-museum-millers/1511503/

#532 3 years ago

I've been asked so many times why don't you open your own shop.

And these are the suggestions I get.

63b31e531ba5fbe265fff5821bec587b9dc42448 (resized).jpg63b31e531ba5fbe265fff5821bec587b9dc42448 (resized).jpg7a9986f50df236a95aa0ec0536026e88aa3785b5 (resized).jpg7a9986f50df236a95aa0ec0536026e88aa3785b5 (resized).jpg
#533 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

less clothes than I walking down the hill I was going up

I bet you were!
Congrats on your retirement man!!

#534 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That is the secret recipe, right there.
So easy!! But so few people do it.
If you haven’t got the cash in your pocket, you don’t need whatever it is. Pretty easy rule to live by.
rd

I appreciate quality. But I have a taste for worthless trinkets. I made a rule many years ago that something caught my eye I would wait 3 weeks before I would go buy whatever it was. By then I had usually had forgotten about it.

And then I got a pinball machine

#535 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So much free time that I spent the last hour watching congress argue on the TV out in the garage. Do any of these people actually work for a living?

It was like a verbal tennis match. Half the time they were talking the subject matter was talking about who gets to talk.

#536 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Be careful, they can mess up your retirement real fast.

My father made the poor judgement of getting remarried a 3rd time to a woman and he decided to keep working rather than retiring because he wanted to chew off the debt that she was in for some land she owned. Was over 100K.

Additionally she sold her business a few years after they got married and SHE got to retire.

Some people are stuck on stupid.

#537 3 years ago

Retired from corporate life this year at 56. Pursuing my pinball restoration passion fulltime now but have been at it since the mid 1990's.
When you love what you do, you never work a day in your life. =)

www.pinballdoctor.com

#538 3 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Retired from corporate life this year at 56. Pursuing my pinball restoration passion fulltime now but have been at it since the mid 1990's.
When you love what you do, you never work a day in your life. =)
www.pinballdoctor.com

Until it becomes your bread and butter.

I wish you well. I am enjoying my retirement time immensely.

#539 3 years ago
1 (resized).png1 (resized).png
#540 3 years ago

Poor Who-Dey didn’t make it.

Remember that any day could be your last!

#541 3 years ago

I had made a comment to someone the other day.
They said "They'll put that on your grave stone."
I replied "No. They'll place IF ONLY I'D SPENT MORE TIME AT THE OFFICE."

Odin, as I'm certain you're aware, less stress is generally a good thing. We've been programmed to serve others and worry. Enjoy your new found freedom!

#542 3 years ago

For all of you who are retired....did you have a plan of what you were going to do after calling it quits or did you just wing it? I’m getting close with no idea what I would do to fill my day. I think I need a purpose/ reason to get out of bed each day.

#543 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

For all of you who are retired....did you have a plan of what you were going to do after calling it quits or did you just wing it? I’m getting close with no idea what I would do to fill my day. I think I need a purpose/ reason to get out of bed each day.

No plan. I built airplanes, was good at what I did, and after 30 years in aircraft, I had some work I really enjoyed.

At 61.5 I was laid off. At 9am I was employed. At 9:05 am I was being walked out the door.

The first year stank as I was getting adjusted with reduced income and dealing with the health care challenges the U.S. offers.

And then I got a pinball machine. It has been an interesting five year ride.

I’m thinking about perhaps volunteering at our local no-kill animal shelter for something a little different to do.

You have to find something you can be passionate about. Sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee every day gets old real fast.

My sister-in-took up tennis while still in her 60s. She is 81 now and still hammering those tennis balls and going to tennis tournaments. Covid has been a challenge for her.

If you are someone who worked 6-7 days a week for years, retirement was a big adjustment.

#544 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

So it's more like a feeling of just walking out the door w/o saying a proper goodbye and shaking hands with co-workers.

This resonates with me. I worked for an Airline in IT since ‘96. 20+ years with the same company. Once Covid hit, we all worked from home...until you were told you weren’t needed anymore. No retirement party, no goodbye cake, no farewell happy hour. ...one day you had a job and co-workers you’ve known for decades, and the next day you didn’t.

I will say, this taste of ‘retirement’ has been wonderful as I’ve had time to do MY stuff. But with one kid in college and another on the way I don’t think I can fully retire yet. ...but the thought of going back to a 40 hour workweek is not something I’m looking forward to.

And yes, seeing Who-Dey’s posts here does really hammer home the thought that life is too short, and enjoy it while you still can.

#545 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

For all of you who are retired....did you have a plan of what you were going to do after calling it quits or did you just wing it?

I spent the first 6 months traveling across the U.S. in a 1978 GMC motorhome I had fixed up. 27 states. Landed in Florida and enjoyed year round sunshine and got a pt job at a small airport to stay busy. In essence, I winged it. No regrets!

1610636579870_moho (resized).jpg1610636579870_moho (resized).jpg
#546 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

I spent the first 6 months traveling across the U.S. in a 1978 GMC motorhome I had fixed up. 27 states. Landed in Florida and enjoyed year round sunshine and got a pt job at a small airport to stay busy. In essence, I winged it. No regrets![quoted image]

Holy F-ing Shit that is a badass motorhome!! Got pics of the inside?

#547 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

I spent the first 6 months traveling across the U.S. in a 1978 GMC motorhome I had fixed up. 27 states. Landed in Florida and enjoyed year round sunshine and got a pt job at a small airport to stay busy. In essence, I winged it. No regrets![quoted image]

I have always liked those GMC motorhomes. They looked very stable while going down the highway while the Winnebagos were rocking from side to side.

Which engine does yours have? 455 or 403?

What kind of gas mileage? 8 miles per gallon?

#548 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Holy F-ing Shit that is a badass motorhome!! Got pics of the inside?

Thanks. I kept the interior original, only replacing the carpet (these pics don't show that, though). This was the Kingsley model. Models were differentiated by colors and floorplan layout. Also, they made GMC's in 23' and 26' versions. This was the 26' and more of those were made. 1978 was the last year they made them.
$_57-11 (resized).JPG$_57-11 (resized).JPG$_57-15 (resized).JPG$_57-15 (resized).JPG$_57-6 (resized).JPG$_57-6 (resized).JPGmy GMC (resized).jpgmy GMC (resized).jpg

#549 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have always liked those GMC motorhomes. They looked very stable while going down the highway while the Winnebagos were rocking from side to side.
Which engine does yours have? 455 or 403?
What kind of gas mileage? 8 miles per gallon?

Once they were gone through, they were very stable. However, when I bought this one, like so many others, it was a nightmare to drive. I almost wrecked driving home from Ohio after I bought it. It was only after I had Jeff at Sirum GMC in Okeechobee, FL and his crew work on it, that it became a dream to drive.

I had the 403. The 455 was stopped mid-production in 1977, unfortunately. The 403 did okay, but it could have used fuel injection. I had forgotten how smelly a Quadrajet carb could be. Mileage 8mpg, like they all are.

I sold it in Florida, because I didn't have a garage to keep it in and the sun down there is brutal on fiberglass. I wish I would have kept it. I own an '08 Winnebago now, and while it's more comfortable and bigger, it's not as fun to drive. I may get another GMC someday.

footnote: here's one like mine, but a 1977. I cried when they crashed it....

#550 3 years ago
Quoted from HomeBrew:

I retired 15 years ago at 55 and I wish I had done it sooner.

I can close my 401k at 55 with no penalty. I’m doing the same. Pay off my house and truck and get a eazy job at autozone.

There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-thinking-about-retiring/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.