Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN0126 (resized).JPG
RSCN0252 (resized).JPG
IMG_0148 (resized).jpeg
ccdae6440506835777a500792a04c1cf639a256a (resized).jpg
or (resized).png
IMG_9548 (resized).jpeg
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 months ago

My nephew is getting married there 4th of July and I am invited but don't really like flying.

Any sights or sounds there or along the way you might recommend beyond Waffle House and Dollywood?

#2 7 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

My nephew is getting married there 4th of July and I am invited but don't really like flying.
Any sights or sounds there or along the way you might recommend beyond Waffle House and Dollywood?

I’m a couple hours north of your guesstimated path of travel, however Saratoga Springs is known around the world as “the August Place To Be!”. It’s about the best place you could visit in the summer. The direct inspiration for Disney Springs, same street names and buildings.

There’s also my humble arcade tucked away in a scenic nearly-dead mall, with plenty of great classic pins.

If you go through Ohio, visit Rob Berk’s place, Past Times Arcade. Incredible.

Visit the RPC and see all of their old games, @zacaj’s got tons of unusual EMs, dunno if they’re out at the Co-op or not,

There are dozens of pinball museums and such, what kind of sights and sounds tickle your fancy?

#3 7 months ago

Do it!

I’d come with you but alas I’m a tad busy at the moment.

rd

#4 7 months ago

Keep thinking...

#5 7 months ago

You are in Southern California right? I would tear up some Route 66 on the way. I have always wanted to see the places and road side attractions that were left behind because it reminds me of the road trips of the 70s I had with my family as a kid. I am a sucker for old towns and will take side roads over interstate whenever time allows. I am probably more nostalgic than others and miss times of yesteryear.

#6 7 months ago
Quoted from Retro4Life:

I am a sucker for old towns and will take side roads over interstate whenever time allows.

This is exactly what my contractor and his wife do. They intentionally take the smaller highways to explore the towns they drive through. I don’t know how they have any time to spend at their destination.

#7 7 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Keep thinking...

Last time I was thinking about driving to Jax Beach Fla., I got there in two days. Haven't fully decided on this one yet.

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Saratoga Springs is known around the world as “the August Place To Be!”. It’s about the best place you could visit in the summer.

That sounds real close to the destination and very nice! Never been to the NE coast before.

Quoted from Retro4Life:

I would tear up some Route 66 on the way.

It's a broken old highway now, but definitely good of some kicks.

Quoted from rotordave:

I’d come with you but alas I’m a tad busy at the moment.

Sure you are. Same old excuses.

#8 7 months ago

Perhaps one of the greatest songs to ever come out of Family Guy.... "Road to Rhode Island..."

#9 7 months ago

2 days to Florida,Slow down and smell the Roses

#10 7 months ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

2 days to Florida,Slow down and smell the Roses

I had a buddy waiting actually living in the old Van Zandt house to surf some hurricane waves and a big rig wouldn't let let me sleep in the back of my truck in a Texas rest stop, so I just continued on...

Quoted from dothedoo:

This is exactly what my contractor and his wife do. They intentionally take the smaller highways to explore the towns they drive through. I don’t know how they have any time to spend at their destination.

On a prior trip to Fla. , I actually had an overhead camper and took my time, hitting campgrounds as far in between the big cities as I could find, and hit some real gems.

I-10 was closed due to a spill of some kind and was diverted probably 100 miles south in NM and ended up in a place that reminded me of Maybury, with the nicest people and perhaps the best steak I have ever had. Wish I could remember the name of that town and a camper might be the way to fly this time as well.

#11 7 months ago

Driving is much better than flying. You can pack whatever you want and also not have to battle for the armrest.

#12 7 months ago
Quoted from ElectroMagnetic:

Driving is much better than flying. You can pack whatever you want and also not have to battle for the armrest.

I had a bad experience on the return flight from Australia and New Zealand 25 or so years ago, and never set foot on one of those flying coffins again.

Just thankful it was a Qantas 747 with a ballsy Ausi pilot that wasn't asleep at the wheel.

#13 7 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

I had a bad experience on the return flight from Australia and New Zealand 25 or so years ago, and never set foot on one of those flying coffins again.
Just thankful it was a Qantas 747 with a ballsy Ausi pilot that wasn't asleep at the wheel.

We’ve all hit turbulence before bro, not a big deal.

Driving across the country sounds like Hell to me but I understand the concept of different strokes.

Have fun and try not to go on any trip-derailing benders!

#14 7 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We’ve all hit turbulence before bro, not a big deal.

Not a big deal until the plane drops 1000 feet for the second time and almost goes into a stall somewhere over the middle of the Pacific.

Then the plane is wobbling and the tail is sinking until the above mentioned pilot hits the gas full throttle and sends it into a dive heading straight for the above mentioned ocean. That was actually the fun part. Pilot said in his 30 years flying for Qantas, that was as close as it comes.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Driving across the country sounds like Hell to me but I understand the concept of different strokes.
Have fun and try not to go on any trip-derailing benders!

I'm still kicking myself for bypassing Dollywood last time in my hurry to get back home.

#15 7 months ago

Let's make it a pinsider road trip for o-din . We can offer our places for him to stay along the way .
I've got a room for you if needed .

#16 7 months ago

Come stop by in Providence! There’s a big arcade in Pawtucket and Pizza J has a nice collection of games for a pizza joint. He’s probably getting married in Southern RI which has beautiful beaches but hardly any pinball.

#17 7 months ago

Last night it was the relatives over and my garage sounded like an angry mathematician's convention. They were tearing it up! And also handed me the invitation which will be at The Newport Harbor Island Resort. Independence Day seems like a great time to get married I guess.

#18 7 months ago

That’s a long drive brother! Have you considered chugging a bottle of NyQuil and just getting on a plane?

#19 7 months ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

That’s a long drive brother! Have you considered drinking a bottle of NyQuil and just getting on a plane?

After that dreadful flight, I developed a fear of heights I had never had before. Driving down Highway 1 from just south of Oregon after that was hard enough. Even the bridges over the great Mississippi River were tough.

But, recently with all the coasters I have been riding that keep getting taller and taller, that has subsided. So, perhaps I am ready again. I do like when the plane accelerates on the runway during takeoff as that is a rush you can't get anywhere else. I've got 6 months to figure it out.

#20 7 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

After that dreadful flight, I developed a fear of heights I had never had before. Driving down Highway 1 from just south of Oregon after that was hard enough. Even the bridges over the great Mississippi River were tough.
But, recently with all the coasters I have been riding that keep getting taller and taller, that has subsided. So, perhaps I am ready again. I do like when the plane accelerates on the runway during takeoff as that is a rush you can't get anywhere else. I've got 6 months to figure it out.

Take off is the best! Maybe get an aisle seat and get some noise canceling headphones, remember an hour in the air equals a day of driving (roughly).

#21 7 months ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Take off is the best! Maybe get an aisle seat and get some noise canceling headphones, remember an hour in the air equals a day of driving (roughly).

Window seat for me. Always. Or as my daddy taught me, get one next to one of the exit doors with more leg room. I want to be able to see the landscape we might be heading for.

But, I had already thought about another drive to visit parts of this great country I have never seen before, so this might be a great time to do that since time is what I've got plenty of now.

#22 7 months ago

My first flight as a kid was on a stretched DC-8, solid plane, going to Florida to visit relatives. After a short stop in Tampa, the pilot rode the top of the clouds all the way to Miami. I wouldn't have given up my window seat for anything on that flight.

#23 7 months ago

Seems I always screw up and get a window seat with a nice view of the wing along with a 400lb der sitting right next to me.

#24 7 months ago

It's a great idea. See some more of the country. No reason to fly if you have the time to make the drive and enjoy the journey.

#25 7 months ago

with a 400lb der sitting right next to me.

So kinda like Disneyland eh? That Grizzly Rapids ride comes to mind.

Quoted from trilogybeer:

It's a great idea. See some more of the country. No reason to fly if you have the time to make the drive and enjoy the journey.

Well yeah. I hear Wisconsin Dells is great that time of year.

#26 7 months ago

It is, we go up there every year. And if you had time you'd certainly be welcome at my place for some pinball and beer.

#27 7 months ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

And if you had time you'd certainly be welcome at my place for some pinball and beer.

And meet Centerflank in all his greatness? Thanks!

I'm really going to need another camper to do this right. Then I can even just hop in the back and sleep in the parking lots of Waffle Houses after dinner along the way if need be.

#28 7 months ago

Yeah, he would stop by I'm sure. He was just over here last night for some pinball and beer.

#29 7 months ago

I’ll be in Disney over the 4th.
I would have taken you out for a great dinner in Asbury Park and some live music.

#30 7 months ago

The way people drive today, you are putting your life at risk.

Grab a plane ride - or hop on an Amtrak train and relax and enjoy.

#31 7 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

Hop a freight train, you may get there quicker.

#32 7 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

And meet Centerflank in all his greatness?

Meet the great and powerful Centererflank in person? That’s probably not gonna happen!
IMG_9548 (resized).jpegIMG_9548 (resized).jpeg

#33 7 months ago

Hop a freight train, you may get there quicker.

You kidding? He ain’t traveling on no narrow tracked death worm!!

Odin, there’s no chance I’m gonna have you over to my place, but I’ll ride the cyclone with you!!

If you think you can handle a REAL coaster !!

#34 7 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Odin, there’s no chance I’m gonna have you over to my place, but I’ll ride the cyclone with you!!
If you think you can handle a REAL coaster !!

I'm going to find your place and see how your pizza compares to the great Brooklynz we had here last night. Then after Cyclone, we will go to Jersey, ride Kingda Ka, and jam with the Stones.

#35 7 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

The way people drive today, you are putting your life at risk.

Yes this is true, there is horrible drivers on the roads these days. But over 50 percent of car accidents that cause serious injury or death occur within 25 miles of home. It is just as likely to be involved in a serious auto accident driving to the airport as it would be driving across the country.

#36 7 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well yeah. I hear Wisconsin Dells is great that time of year.

If you do go to the Dells, you can ride Hades 360 at Mt Olympus. It's a pretty good one.

#37 7 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm going to find your place and see how your pizza compares to the great Brooklynz we had here last night. Then after Cyclone, we will go to Jersey, ride Kingda Ka, and jam with the Stones.

Damn it’s a late May trip ?!

#38 7 months ago

If you're heading towards Dollywood, the Dells are a bit out of the way (and Hades needs work anyway), might want to plan on hitting Silver Dollar City instead, more aligned with your southerly route. Try a lap on Outlaw Run (and of course the new and improved Fire in the Hole).

or (resized).pngor (resized).png
#39 7 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:Damn it’s a late May trip ?!

Kinda wish it was sooner as this is in New York and it's got my name all over it. Bought and paid for.

ccdae6440506835777a500792a04c1cf639a256a (resized).jpgccdae6440506835777a500792a04c1cf639a256a (resized).jpg
#40 7 months ago

Seems I always screw up and get a window seat with a nice view of the wing along with a 400lb der sitting right next to me.

Surprised the airlines haven't figured out a way to extract more money from passengers in real-time. How much extra would you pay to move seats after seeing the 400#piglard that is gonna be half into your seat for the next four hours?

#41 7 months ago

The plot is a little thicker as I have never owned a cell phone. All I have is a box of those AAA maps and campgound books I kept from the 90s. But that never stopped me before.

#42 7 months ago

You have until July. You could just walk and see everything!

#43 7 months ago
Quoted from Daditude:

You have until July. You could just walk and see everything!

I aint no Forrest Gump. This would be more like a Rain Man adventure. As long as I can stop and watch original Hawaii 5-0 everyday.

Qantas never crashed. Well yeah, but it almost did.

#44 7 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

original Hawaii 5-0 everyday.

Exactly...no one's seen them all.. 12 years on the air.

#45 7 months ago
Quoted from Whistles:Exactly...no one's seen them all.. 12 years on the air.

They are still holding up pretty well in my book.

But there are three must see People's Courts. Two that a couple of friends were in over angry disputes and the very first one with The Surf Punks in a t-shirt deal gone bad.

#46 7 months ago

Here’s what you do Odiner. Fly to New York City, Levi will pick you up from La Guardia and you guys can hang out in the Big Apple for an experience like no other.

Bring some bear mace and other hidden weapons just in case.

Levi can then rent a van and you guys hit the wedding together.

See the movie the Wedding Crashers?

Get in, get out. Delaware ain’t great. My brother’s family just got out of there.

Then for the ultimate finale on the way back to NYC, you guys can hook up with Kaneda for some pinball and fashion tips.

Some NYC pizza slices? Maybe a little Chinatown?

#47 7 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here’s what you do Odiner. Fly to New York City, Levi will pick you up from La Guardia

You'll have to rattle around in the back of a rented pin-hauling van...no probs!

#48 7 months ago

I see you keep on driving to Jersey. Boob said he has a dumpster ready to go for you.

#49 7 months ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

But over 50 percent of car accidents that cause serious injury or death occur within 25 miles of home.

This is true. I told this to a friend of mine. Next thing I knew, he moved to another state!

#50 7 months ago

Shoot a message if you find yourself traveling through NY. I have a cool place to crash in the finger lakes, barrels of home made booze, and intel for surf spots from RI up to ME. Although the waves are typically nonexistent that time of year.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.