Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by schudel5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 months ago

Okay, I cannot figure out why every switch in my World Cup Soccer are out. I've checked all the wires and they're all intact, no broken wires. Plus checked Fuse F115 and it's good.

Column 8 has Left Jet Bumper, Upper Jet Bumper, Lower Jet Bumper, Left Slingshot, Right Slingshot, Kickback, Upper Left Lane, Upper Right Lane.

Any ideas of what else to look for or if there's something else that could be wrong.

Thanks

#2 3 months ago

It's not every switch, just all the switches in Column 8

#3 3 months ago

Two things. Broken wire somewhere on that column or bad ULN2803A at U20 on the CPU.

To eliminate the broken wire, remove the switch connectors on the CPU and use a jumper to connect the row and column 8 pins together in switch edge test.

If none of the switches on column 8 work doing this test, it's the chip at U20. If the switches register in the test, then you have a broken wire or bad connection somewhere.

#4 3 months ago

Okay, thank you I'll try that !!!!

1 week later
#5 3 months ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Two things. Broken wire somewhere on that column or bad ULN2803A at U20 on the CPU.
To eliminate the broken wire, remove the switch connectors on the CPU and use a jumper to connect the row and column 8 pins together in switch edge test.
If none of the switches on column 8 work doing this test, it's the chip at U20. If the switches register in the test, then you have a broken wire or bad connection somewhere.

Yes it's that chip that was bad. It must have went bad at some point in time as it was replaced with a socketed ULN2803A chip, not soldered in. Putting a new one in today.

Thanks for your help

#6 3 months ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Yes it's that chip that was bad. It must have went bad at some point in time as it was replaced with a socketed ULN2803A chip, not soldered in. Putting a new one in today.
Thanks for your help

If you're getting one, I'd get 10 and some sockets as those tend to go bad quite often. I had one in a CV that controlled the neon and RM eddy sensor. The neon transformer was going bad and was eating those for lunch. I've replaced several others on WPC boards for column switches and none are socketed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
€ 40.00
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside