You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20230403_000430670.MP (resized).jpg
swemmer.jpg
williams.jpg
PXL_20230319_014832566~2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Allingerb:

I shorted something with the jet bumper on black Knight while adjusting it's switch under the playfield and jet bumper no longer works. I'm trying to fix but can't find the problem. I've been testing about everything I can think of and so far all I know is that this chip gets very hot very fast if I turn on the game. If you have insight as to why, I would greatly appreciate it.

The heat is a pretty big clue something may be wrong with the chip. Hard to tell from the photo, but looks like a 74HCT06 or 08. You can do a quick test as per this procedure...

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Testing_an_integrated_circuit

Very common and inexpensive to acquire.

Accidentally sending high voltage from the playfield back into the MPU is something that has happened to me. Typically logic chips on the MPU such as your 74xx are the first thing to take the hit. The chip gets fried and passes most of the current to ground. Let's hope that's all it is, and that it did not blow out any of the more expensive chips.

Quoted from Allingerb:

I think my pliers hit the power from another coil. The jet bumper is no longer working. No sparks or smoke but one of the coils fired when it shorted.

You aren't necessarily going to see sparks or smoke. Sparks and smoke require a lot of current. This happens too fast; the chip(s) get blown out before any substantial current can pass... after all, you can blow a logic chip with static, which has an extremely tiny amount of current.

Quoted from Allingerb:

The game was still working minus the jet, until I pulled that chip and swapped it with an identical and then discovered it's cooking. I'm so stumped.

Multiple chips could be involved - and if you created another fault elsewhere, you may have instantly blown out your replacement chip.

You're going to need to examine your schematic. Trace back the path from where you think you shorted it out. When I blew my switch matrix, I knocked out a 7432 along with a 7400... luckily they stopped it because the next chip was a RIOT. Looking at the schematic, it was obvious which chips were involved and which gates on those chips were blown.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Allingerb:

I did reach out to Fred and he made it clear he is a builder and not a fixer.

That's really disheartening. Does Mr. Swemmer at least provide schematics of his builds?

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I've never seen any and have searched but never asked Fred either.
-Mike

No wonder so many pinball vendors come and go.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Allingerb:

No schematics, I asked him. He said the boards are pretty much same as Original schematics. I need to learn to understand these better

That's good to know. At least that is something.

As far as learning. Learn by doing. You can match components to the drawing to see how things are connected. Also, review PinWiki throroughtly... it will help you with the overall concepts so understanding schematics should be easier.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-stuck-trying-to-fix-black-knight-?tu=sparky672 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.