Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A24EDA03-C48E-4A54-B411-DBC16CBE8E23 (resized).png
    87B63D8A-C35F-4841-8DB8-7857CAC9AECC (resized).jpeg
    055E2139-F4A1-4496-B004-E77B4B81EF85 (resized).jpeg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    6226D761-1972-40C1-B3E7-A8E5797015CB (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 12.01.40 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 7.56.04 PM (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

Actually, I don't think I'm overly anal retentive (but my wife would probably disagree).

But one thing I do (among others I'm sure)...

When I have cold breakfast cereal and I'm opening the box for the first time, I ALWAYS open it so that when facing the back of the box, the bag inside is opened on the right side.

Why? Because I like reading the back of the box while I eat, and when I inevitably finish the cereal in my bowl and still have milk left, and need to add more cereal, since I pour with my left hand, I can pour the cereal without having to turn the box (since the opening is on the right) and I can continue to see the back.

Gets me crazy when someone in my family opens the bag on the wrong side.

Come one, come clean, what meaningless crazy thing do you do, or someone does that gets you crazy?

Joe

#2 2 years ago

Um... the bags can be removed and turned around, no?

#3 2 years ago

This would have been a good one for the confessional thread.

#4 2 years ago

It’s called OCD.

#5 2 years ago

OP, if you haven't found the confessional thread started by Johnny, you should. You might get hooked on all of the weird stuff you might admit to.

#6 2 years ago

I can only pick one? TV volume has to be on an even number. Preferably 22 but 18 is acceptable (although not ideal).

#7 2 years ago

Youre not anal, you're just a nut job. It's ok, we all are in our own way.

#8 2 years ago

Anal Retentive (no pun intended) the correct way to install TP. The other way drives me nuts.

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 7.56.04 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-10-28 at 7.56.04 PM (resized).png
    #9 2 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Anal Retentive (no pun intended) the correct way to install TP. The other way drives me nuts.
    [quoted image]

Haha, I'm constantly changing them in our house

#10 2 years ago

My kids are so f'ng lazy I replaced the wall TP mounts with the tube with TP stands because they couldn't be bothered to put the tube back. I still find the new TP roll sitting on the vanity, that is if they bothered to even do that.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

It’s called OCD.

Here is my bit of crazy... correcting lay people online when it isn't necessary nor appropriate. It isn't reasonable. Doesn't happen that often but sometimes I just can't help it. This is ego dystonic.

DSM-5 criteria for obsession

Obsessions are defined in the DSM-5 as follows:

Recurrent and persistent thoughts, urges, or images that are experienced, at some time during the disturbance as intrusive and inappropriate, and that cause marked anxiety and distress.

The person attempts to suppress or ignore such thoughts, impulses, or images or to neutralize them with some other thought or action.

DSM-5 criteria for compulsion

Compulsions are defined by (1) and (2) as follows:

Repetitive behaviors (eg, hand washing, ordering, checking) or mental acts (eg, praying, counting, repeating words silently) performed in response to an obsession or according to rules that must be applied rigidly. The behaviors are not a result of the direct physiologic effects of a substance or a general medical condition.

The behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation. However, these behaviors or mental acts either are not connected in a way that could realistically neutralize or prevent whatever they are meant to address or they are clearly excessive.

It has to be ego dystonic. They (obsessions and compulsions) have to cause significant distress, or are excessively time consuming, or significantly interfere with social/academic/occupational/normal routines.

obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) should not be confused with OCD. The diagnosis of OCPD refers to an individual who is preoccupied with orderliness, perfectionism, and mental and interpersonal control, at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency; a pattern that typically emerges in early adulthood. They often display perfectionism, excessive devotion to work, rigidity, and/or miserliness (for further details, see DSM-5). This disorder can be ego syntonic.

Sources: knowledge, DSM-V, Medscape.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from P1nhead:

Here is my bit of crazy... correcting lay people online when it isn't necessary nor appropriate. It isn't reasonable. Doesn't happen that often but sometimes I just can't help it. This is ego dystonic.
    DSM-5 criteria for obsession
    Obsessions are defined in the DSM-5 as follows:
    Recurrent and persistent thoughts, urges, or images that are experienced, at some time during the disturbance as intrusive and inappropriate, and that cause marked anxiety and distress.
    The person attempts to suppress or ignore such thoughts, impulses, or images or to neutralize them with some other thought or action.
    DSM-5 criteria for compulsion
    Compulsions are defined by (1) and (2) as follows:
    Repetitive behaviors (eg, hand washing, ordering, checking) or mental acts (eg, praying, counting, repeating words silently) performed in response to an obsession or according to rules that must be applied rigidly. The behaviors are not a result of the direct physiologic effects of a substance or a general medical condition.
    The behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation. However, these behaviors or mental acts either are not connected in a way that could realistically neutralize or prevent whatever they are meant to address or they are clearly excessive.
    It has to be ego dystonic. They (obsessions and compulsions) have to cause significant distress, or are excessively time consuming, or significantly interfere with social/academic/occupational/normal routines.
    obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) should not be confused with OCD. The diagnosis of OCPD refers to an individual who is preoccupied with orderliness, perfectionism, and mental and interpersonal control, at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency; a pattern that typically emerges in early adulthood. They often display perfectionism, excessive devotion to work, rigidity, and/or miserliness (for further details, see DSM-5). This disorder can be ego syntonic.
    Sources: knowledge, DSM-V, Medscape.

Thats quite the deep dive for a thread with anal in the title.

#13 2 years ago

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 12.01.40 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-10-29 at 12.01.40 AM (resized).png

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Thats quite the deep dive for a thread with anal in the title.

I don’t want any talk of “deep diving” in the anal thread, pal!

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

My living room ceiling light is controlled by two switches located at opposite ends of the room. I will only use my one favorite switch. I can’t stand it when someone uses the other one, changing “Down” to “On” and “Up” to “Off” on my favorite switch. Aughh!

6226D761-1972-40C1-B3E7-A8E5797015CB (resized).jpeg6226D761-1972-40C1-B3E7-A8E5797015CB (resized).jpeg
    #16 2 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

My living room ceiling light is controlled by two switches located at opposite ends of the room. I will only use my one favorite switch. I can’t stand it when someone uses the other one, changing “Down” to “On” and “Up” to “Off” on my favorite switch. Aughh![quoted image]

Lol, I do this too. Drives me up the wall.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Anal Retentive (no pun intended) the correct way to install TP.

Not if you have a cat that likes to spin toilet paper.

#18 2 years ago

I am totally OCD, I blame my OCD mother who would start vacuuming our home at 4:00 in the morning with the Hoover vacuum.

#19 2 years ago

I cannot drink coffee from a black mug. Just can't do it.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg
    #20 2 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

My living room ceiling light is controlled by two switches located at opposite ends of the room. I will only use my one favorite switch. I can’t stand it when someone uses the other one, changing “Down” to “On” and “Up” to “Off” on my favorite switch. Aughh![quoted image]

I replaced the switches at either end of my hall specifically with electronic type pushbutton ones (one push just changes the state of the light) exactly for this reason as I couldn't stand when my GF left the light switch in the "wrong" position.

#21 2 years ago
    055E2139-F4A1-4496-B004-E77B4B81EF85 (resized).jpeg055E2139-F4A1-4496-B004-E77B4B81EF85 (resized).jpeg
    #22 2 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

Actually, I don't think I'm overly anal retentive (but my wife would probably disagree).
    But one thing I do (among others I'm sure)...
    When I have cold breakfast cereal and I'm opening the box for the first time, I ALWAYS open it so that when facing the back of the box, the bag inside is opened on the right side.
    Why? Because I like reading the back of the box while I eat, and when I inevitably finish the cereal in my bowl and still have milk left, and need to add more cereal, since I pour with my left hand, I can pour the cereal without having to turn the box (since the opening is on the right) and I can continue to see the back.
    Gets me crazy when someone in my family opens the bag on the wrong side.
    Come one, come clean, what meaningless crazy thing do you do, or someone does that gets you crazy?
    Joe

Fruity Pebbles of course!

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

[quoted image]

I just can't stand this either. Even if I'm at someone else's house, I have to switch the phone back to the correct position.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Fruity Pebbles of course!

I’m kinda craving that now but it’s probably because I’m on low carb diet

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Haha, I'm constantly changing them in our house

I’ve actually changed the TP in other people’s houses. Not because of OCD but because, goddamn it, what’s right is right. After reading my post however, that’s kinda weird.

#26 2 years ago

Every wall plate in the house has every screw oriented in the same vertical position.

87B63D8A-C35F-4841-8DB8-7857CAC9AECC (resized).jpeg87B63D8A-C35F-4841-8DB8-7857CAC9AECC (resized).jpeg

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Every wall plate in the house has every screw oriented in the same vertical position.
    [quoted image]

bottom most right screw could use a few more turns. its driving my OCD nuts.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I don't think you are anal enough, they look a tad off to me. Maybe use a level or string line to get them correct.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

The fourth switch needs to be pushed up another 1/4" to line up with the other ones. It's driving me nuts.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

The fourth switch needs to be pushed up another 1/4" to line up with the other ones. It's driving me nuts.

And the screw below it is backed out a couple turns

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

bottom most right screw could use a few more turns. its driving my OCD nuts.

Oops. Missed your post

#32 2 years ago
    A24EDA03-C48E-4A54-B411-DBC16CBE8E23 (resized).pngA24EDA03-C48E-4A54-B411-DBC16CBE8E23 (resized).png
    #33 2 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I’m in the process of painting the walls, then going to put on all new wall plates and screws, then I’ll really get them lined up good

#34 2 years ago

Somehow I never knew this until now, but the various wall plates for outlets and switches actually come on different sizes as far as the outside dimensions. So you can get a larger size and it will then cover up sloppy drywall work around the edges if you have that. So now I have to go through every wall plate, check the widths, check the work around the edges, and figure out what sizes to get. And they need to match up where appropriate.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

So you can get a larger size and it will then cover up sloppy drywall work around the edges if you have that.

Yep, and because subs are paid by the outlet they put that rough in very rough. My mom's house was completely rewired and EVERY single opening needed a larger plate to cover up the sloppy work. She looked at the switch box I mounted in my own house and she said "how come there's no spaces around the box?" - my answer, I *care* about my own house.

Now, the recessed light I was replacing that someone had dinged the corner of the get it to fit in the rafter and I started to cut through the drywall below the rafter (because why would someone flatten one side of a recessed light fixture???) - that one I had to get a cheater ring for. Luckily not too noticeable.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-so-anal-retentive?hl=sawbill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.