(Topic ID: 316841)

I'm not playing pinball anymore.

By SantaEatsCheese

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7E96546A-23FE-4049-9617-7BB41B18708F (resized).jpeg
    30A8721F-FD14-422D-8772-510F757CEB3B (resized).jpeg
    Who gots time to practice (resized).jpg
    Practice makes perfect (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Since falling off the deep end with pinball four years ago I have played almost every single day and amassed my dream home arcade. At Allentown this year, I discovered competitive pinball and am not to the level I want to be so I'm done playing pinball. From now on, I'm practicing. No longer am I telling my wife I am going to go play pinball. It's "babe, I'm going to go practice". I'm a grown ass man... I'm done playing.

#2 1 year ago

Haha. Get it! I had a similar experience when I played in my first few events. I got my teeth kicked in and realized I was not ready for games that were setup that hard. So I went home and set my games up even harder than that. Practiced constantly and saw dramatic improvement.

I’ve found in pinball it just takes the “want to”. If you just play a ton, study, work on all the angles, the sky’s the limit.

#3 1 year ago

Tighten those tilt bobs!
    That and less (or more) beer will improve your skill.

#4 1 year ago

Be careful calling it practice...now there may be a coach-and he/she may put you in a different position

Practice makes perfect (resized).jpgPractice makes perfect (resized).jpgWho gots time to practice (resized).jpgWho gots time to practice (resized).jpg
    #5 1 year ago
    30A8721F-FD14-422D-8772-510F757CEB3B (resized).jpeg30A8721F-FD14-422D-8772-510F757CEB3B (resized).jpeg
    #6 1 year ago

I feel like I need to go back to school and skip practice. I think I could improve my overall scores by really learning the rule sets and strategies better for each game. I will make this a goal this year

#7 1 year ago

And on this day, sataneatscheese became a man.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A grown ass man.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I feel like I need to go back to school and skip practice. I think I could improve my overall scores by really learning the rule sets and strategies better for each game. I will make this a goal this year

Top competitors often have good rules knowledge but you can usually find enough in a few minutes at pintips.net and a few other places.

Practice will teach you when to dead bounce, drop catch, or live catch. It will teach you how the speed of a ball traveling through in in-lane will affect your accuracy. When to nudge BEFORE the ball ever has the opportunity to become uncontrollable. How to recover from a missed shot and what to shoot to keep a miss from turning into a drain.

If you're (un?)lucky, along the way you'll notice the limitations of competitive pinball's ranking system so you'll become an organizer and try to run fun events for a wide variety of skill levels. Then you'll become a world-class pinball stream commentator, and finally graduate to Pinside cynic.

#10 1 year ago

Your competition is the pinball machine you’re playing.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Was it his Pin Mitzvah?

#12 1 year ago
    7E96546A-23FE-4049-9617-7BB41B18708F (resized).jpeg7E96546A-23FE-4049-9617-7BB41B18708F (resized).jpeg
    #13 1 year ago

I'm not playing pinball any more. Then again, I'm not playing pinball any less, either. Goldilocks tells me the amount I'm playing is just right. But she's been arrested for breaking into the Bear family's house, so maybe her advice is not the best to take.

#14 1 year ago

I almost didn't join the local pinball league years ago because I didn't want to turn something I do for fun into a competition. The guy that pulled me in explained its just a beer and basement league - some of the guys are serious, some just like to hang, goof off, drink beer and play.

I'm in the second group. "Working" on pinball skills to compete against others doesn't interest me in the least. It's a game, I play it. I've sold games that I've owned for years and never even knew all the rules or reached the wizard modes. It's not about beating the game or getting a higher score, it's about having fun regardless of the outcome. For me anyways.

#15 1 year ago

Now that’s a tournament I’d play in! No ball holds, just flip when the ball comes your way and drink beer. To me, it’s more satisfying to hit a shot while the ball is moving then stop, hold, and flip (which to me is boring).

#16 1 year ago

I suck. I wouldn’t even call some of my games practice. Public humiliation is more like it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-not-playing-pinball-anymore?hl=pinball_gizzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.