Topic poll

“What Medieval Madness would you keep?”

• Original 115 votes
    54%
  • Remake 99 votes
    46%

(214 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

690C21BD-232C-441E-A19C-2964B10A907C (resized).jpeg
F1498363-F362-4AC6-9F87-35A4A9EA5F30 (resized).jpeg
2EC32C8A-66A9-42B7-9D96-4D3F4B7C0C06 (resized).jpeg
9352BB53-ACEE-48B5-BB2F-E2EB66A2020A (resized).jpeg
60C1AA25-3009-4965-A7C8-198ECACF0CC1 (resized).jpeg
ECA99C4D-E265-4F61-B098-B9763A0B15CE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ctviss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 1 year ago

Pinside puts the value of both at nearly the same. I say keep the original and sell the remake while you can still get the most money for it... originals will never be produced again but remakes will, at least for the foreseeable future, and there is a certain charm to owning a piece of history.

If you're a purist it's not even a question. In every hobby there are purists who will only buy/own originals. It's why people fully restore classic cars and spend countless hours searching for original stock parts. As a collector, there is no alternative.

But if you're just in the hobby to have the most fun possible, the remake brings a lot to the table.

1 week later
#93 1 year ago

You should just save yourself the trouble and keep both. You know you want to (and are going to)... just admit it.

Or... make a FrankenMM. Combine both into a one-of-a-kind machine.

#99 1 year ago

Give them both a battleaxe and make them fight to the death.

1 month later
#126 1 year ago

OP, keep whatever game makes you the happiest when you're playing it.

Reliability shouldn't be a concern with the remakes, since modern electronics are simply more reliable than older electronics, not to mention the fact that parts are cheaper. Heat kills electronics, and these new ones put out very little of that. Any SMT component on any of these boards can be replaced by someone who knows how to work with SMT devices. If I'm not mistaken the smallest SMT component I saw was an 0603 part, which are incredibly easy to work with without any mangification. 0402s are workable but can be annoying. There is nothing smaller than that on these boards. Even the larger ICs (PICs) can easily be replaced if they're not the BGA-variety. The cost of decent soldering tools is low, and you can practice all you want on spare boards until you're good at it.

If you don't like the feel of the flippers on the MMr, just replace them with the same flippers as the original and adjust the power...?

#142 1 year ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I think concerns about the repairability of modern boards are over blown. That said, the beagle board does cost about $50 and is essentially disposable if anything on it fails. More concerns are focused on the large boards under the play field that will likely be much more expensive and hard to find in the future.

As someone who has a career in the electronics industry, the repair-ability concerns are extremely overblown. If you have the schematics (which you do; these remakes come with full schematics for all of the boards) and know what you're doing or know a good tech, repairing these things is trivial. Like I said in my previous post, it's easier and cheaper to find/buy SMT parts for these modern assemblies than old, legacy through-hole parts. If you have decent soldering skills, replacing just about any component is a piece of cake.

Not to mention the fact that modern electronics are simply more reliable.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Allentown, PA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ctviss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside