Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

690C21BD-232C-441E-A19C-2964B10A907C (resized).jpeg
F1498363-F362-4AC6-9F87-35A4A9EA5F30 (resized).jpeg
2EC32C8A-66A9-42B7-9D96-4D3F4B7C0C06 (resized).jpeg
9352BB53-ACEE-48B5-BB2F-E2EB66A2020A (resized).jpeg
60C1AA25-3009-4965-A7C8-198ECACF0CC1 (resized).jpeg
ECA99C4D-E265-4F61-B098-B9763A0B15CE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Marvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

A little update... I'm now leaning towards sticking with the remake.
And this is why... I think the remake is more fun to play because of the shaker integration and the great dots.
But the original plays better. I know there are a lot of people that disagree with this, but having the games side by side, the argument is settled for me.
They feel different too. Take you knuckles and knock on the side of a remake cabinet. It's hollow a d cheap feeling. But then take a knock at a B/W cabinet, and feel and hear that difference.
Shit... I think I just talked myself out of it again! Haha

if you think the original plays better why the hell would you even consider keeping the remake? You literally are going to choose style over substance. wtf?

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Yes, and you can install a shaker in an original, making the larger display the only plus for the refake.

i get that, but if the original plays better in his mind why would he even consider the worse playing one? the point is to play, not to stare at them.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Having played both, they play the same, but saying that every machine plays differently. Have had and known other collectors who have owned multiple of a particular title and regardless of which was in better condition on occasion one machine would play *better*. Some feel clunkier, some you can get away with particular shots while others will drain, its just slight differences in construction.
That said, I would want a remake for the display. Pinsound is nice, but WPC95 sound quality does not feel lacking to me, if it were TZ with pre-dcs that would be a different story.
Repair on both is mixed. Beaglebone boards are easy and cheap to get. WPC95 parts are increasingly becoming obsolete so in 10 years, repairing one may not be an option. After market should continue to exist, but you may run into an issue like with the A/V board where no one makes it for years on end (rottendog's is supposed to be coming back out soon). To say that the original is easier to repair does not take into account that the parts situation will continue to get worse due to it being very antiquated.
As for the original being an *original* it is more like the ship of theseus. Unless you get an huo or nib example, any restored example is not really original and frankly you are paying more for what increasingly amounts to the same thing. The main difference being the hardware driving it.

That hardware is a big part of the feel, its the only real interaction with the game.

1 month later
#103 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

They play different because one had 25 year old worn parts and one is new. Simple as that.

Yeah and it still plays better than the remake, even with the with parts

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Remake has far more adjustability,

The original didn't need to be adjustable power in order to play "right". That in itself made it better. The play girls is fine on the remake. Having the flippers different sucks. That's your interface with the game.

Added over 5 years ago:

The play field, not play girl

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Some people might find the much more powerful flippers better. You need the adjustment for people like me who want a more old school feel. Most poeple probably never bother and just leave it on default.
Plus c’mon, you’re saying the original didn’t need adjustment? Of course it didn’t, lol. That’s why it’s the standard.
Besides, I know 3 - 4 people with original MM and not two of them have the same flipper feel. Different angles, rubber, aftermarket bats and levels of wear all make a difference. That’s pinball kids.
Look, I don’t care if you like remakes or not, because they’re here and that’s our world now. I have friends who are massively butthurt because the remake destroyed the sanctity (heh heh) of their high dollar collections, and yeah, that sucks. But they are a quality product that’s putting pins into people's houses, and that’s good. I wouldn’t have an MM (“my” original was a long term loaner) otherwise. I just don’t get the attitude.

I have an original, I've played remakes. The originals play better. The remakes are fine. I'd get one if they made a game I wanted and didn't have. That does not mean they are better. They are more accessible. The adjustment I was referring to was coil strength. That was not, and didn't need to be adjusted. The games were designed with the coils in mind. Not it's just Todd in could and make them shoot how ever you want so you can make short that should be missed. It makes games to easy. Of course the originals needed adjustment, posts, switched, flipper position etc. But not coil strength.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

My MM has the same coils as your MM. Same coils, coil stops, flipper plungers, bats, links, the works. The difference is how they’re powered. The newer machines have a more efficient power system and therefore you get more flipper power.
Games play better, games play worse, it’s all subjective. I’m just baffled that people are dug in on this.
You want your MM to feel like a new Stern? Dial it up. You want it to play like a 97? Drop it a few notches. It’s really that easy.

The point is you shouldn't need to change it, it should be designed as intended since it's a remake. I've also said MMr plays ok. It's just not what the original was.

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

I drive a newer Corvette which I guess could be considered loosely as a remake of earlier Corvettes from the '60's that we drove when I was a kid. You know what? The new one is more reliable, handles better, brakes quicker, and is way faster than most of the older muscle cars! When I talked to the local Corvette shop about maybe a '68 or '69 big block, his first words were -"You don't plan to drive this every day do you? This is not an everyday driver!" The original is nice, and I would love to own one. But the "remake" is just a way better deal all around, for my money.

but the old ones are way cooler.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 64.99
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Marvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-in-love-with-two-medieval-madness-pins?tu=Marvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.