Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

690C21BD-232C-441E-A19C-2964B10A907C (resized).jpeg
F1498363-F362-4AC6-9F87-35A4A9EA5F30 (resized).jpeg
2EC32C8A-66A9-42B7-9D96-4D3F4B7C0C06 (resized).jpeg
9352BB53-ACEE-48B5-BB2F-E2EB66A2020A (resized).jpeg
60C1AA25-3009-4965-A7C8-198ECACF0CC1 (resized).jpeg
ECA99C4D-E265-4F61-B098-B9763A0B15CE (resized).jpeg
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 5 years ago

I own a Medieval Madness LE remake. It's the first pin I ever bought 2 years ago, and it's what really got me hooked on this pinball hobby.

Recently however, I'm been fortunate enough to get my hands on a pretty nicely restored original.

I figured I'd play both of them bit, and make a decision as to what game I'd be selling. The problem is... That's tougher decision than I thought!

I think they're both awesome games, and ultimately it will come down to deciding what game jives most with me, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts and see your votes.

So... What game would you keep?

#2 5 years ago

Which one of your kids do you love more? Kinda like that.

#3 5 years ago

I can't quite quantify how, but I think the original MM and AFM play slightly better than the remake.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from FlashDaddy:

I can't quite quantify how, but I think the original MM and AFM play slightly better than the remake.

I don't have enough time put in on the original yet, but first impression was that it felt a little more like the B/W games I've played. The flippers feel more like my TOM, whereas I'd say the remake feels snappier like a Stern.

Still need time to decide which one I enjoy playing more.

You'll know my decision when a "for sale" post goes up haha!

#5 5 years ago

Id keep the remake all day long. I think the remakes play better.

#6 5 years ago

Original if in great condition and you want to be a serious collector, but that will rule out the upgraded LCD and speaker panel that is still planned for the remake. I’d lean towards owning an original if it is exceptional, although of the three I owned, only one was as good as my remake.

#7 5 years ago

Original it will last longer in the long run and it doesn't have any of those light boards.

#8 5 years ago

MM-original. AFM- remake

#9 5 years ago

Tell you what....ship me one to play and in the meantime see if you miss it more

#10 5 years ago

Which ever one is the most mint.

#11 5 years ago

There are numerous threads in this forum on this very subject already which go into the minute details. No stone has been left uncovered - all the pros and cons discussed. Isn’t it wonderful that we have the choice?

#12 5 years ago

Mm original plays better in my opinion. The remake has a lag which only someone who has played the original for many years could pick up on. I have an original and plan on keeping.
Afm remake however seems to have corrected this. On afm i would prefer to have the remake. I would keep the restored one.

#13 5 years ago

Original. All day, 'Erryday.

#14 5 years ago

Ask a repair guy and you will have no issue deciding to dump the remake. New is great until you can't get replacement boards for it when you need them down the road. The smaller & more involved boards get in these newer machine the less likely there will be someone making replacement boards for them down the road. People complaining about the cost of replacing boards on these new machine today and going to be complaining a lot louder when they have $10,000 paperweights that don't work and they can't find boards to repair them.

A few years down the road I think you are going to see a lot of unhappy people when it comes to these newer machines. Hopefully I am wrong but the service people I have talked to are all basically saying the same thing.

#15 5 years ago

Keep the most reliable and best condition machine. Boards and parts for the new machine won't be anymore scarce than those for an original. People act as if companies like Rotten Dog don't exist...

#16 5 years ago

You keep the first pin you ever purchased. The odds of you getting a very nice restored MM in the future are far greater than the chances of you LE back years after you sell it.

#17 5 years ago

Lots of opinions on this one. I have owned both. I have also worked on machines for 20 years. Keep the remake. Just my opinion

#18 5 years ago

anyone saying to keep the remake is just plain wrong or defending the fact they own a remake.

A nice original is far better in all categories (plays better, easier to maintain and more robust, better lights and options for you to light it how you want, better pf printing, better flipper feel). It is not even a debate. sorry, not sorry.

MMr is great for what it is > brought down the price to something more people could then experience and a new classic. However, it was the first game out the door by CGC and they have made many refinements with the next 2 from what they learned. If they do another run of MMr with the new refinements and color big dots then this may be worth debate in the future.

#19 5 years ago

I own a remake, keep the original if for nothing else, ease of repair. You will be able to find remakes relatively easy, but nice restored originals are harder to come by.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

anyone saying to keep the remake is just plain wrong or defending the fact they own a remake.
A nice original is far better in all categories (plays better, easier to maintain and more robust, better lights and options for you to light it how you want, better pf printing, better flipper feel). It is not even a debate. sorry, not sorry.
MMr is great for what it is > brought down the price to something more people could then experience and a new classic. However, it was the first game out the door by CGC and they have made many refinements with the next 2 from what they learned. If they do another run of MMr with the new refinements and color big dots then this may be worth debate in the future.

The sky is falling, I agree with Whysnow. I'm an MMr owner. They are very nice and I'm happy to have it. A properly restored original is better in every way other then the dmd. The remakes play fine, but they do not feel like an original.

#21 5 years ago

They play the same. The original might “feel” different because the parts are older and more worn. Personally I’d keep the remake with the all new parts. Do keep in mind a bigger screen is going to be available for the remake eventually, I think also with upgraded audio. That’ll only work in the remake.

#22 5 years ago

Remake. Can’t get that amazing color display for an original.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

They play the same.

not even close TBT.

IMO it has to do with the strength and composition of the original materials. Metals were made harder, the wood is harder, etc... This is a physical machine where we are translating a electromagnetic pulse through wire wound coils that transfer energy through those original more durable parts and pf to smack that ball around.

The remake is an emulation in all regards and plays quite a bit different. Between the emulated software, softer metals, and softer wood, the physical game just is not the same. Play a nice restored original and a remake that have been tuned in by the same tech and do it side by side. Everyone will see and fee the difference.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

not even close TBT.
IMO it has to do with the strength and composition of the original materials. Metals were made harder, the wood is harder, etc... This is a physical machine where we are translating a electromagnetic pulse through wire wound coils that transfer energy through those original more durable parts and pf to smack that ball around.
The remake is an emulation in all regards and plays quite a bit different. Between the emulated software, softer metals, and softer wood, the physical game just is not the same. Play a nice restored original and a remake that have been tuned in by the same tech and do it side by side. Everyone will see and fee the difference.

I disagree but not going to argue with you

#25 5 years ago

Whysnow this is your opinion " plain wrong" and mine is worth as much as your is. No need to argue but I am not wrong just a different opinion. Yours opinion matters little to me I make my own decisions. I am sure I have worked on more machines than you have and have owned more so take that for what it is worth. It does have value and I prefer the remake. I have owned several of the original also a remake. I have been a technician for over 34 years.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

They play the same. The original might “feel” different because the parts are older and more worn. Personally I’d keep the remake with the all new parts. Do keep in mind a bigger screen is going to be available for the remake eventually, I think also with upgraded audio. That’ll only work in the remake.

They play similar but not the same. A restored original is not going to have many worn parts that play sloppy either. The difference is largely in the flipper feel and the fact that the games just feel more solid. Some people think the flipper feel is due to the emulation of the code which does make a little sense. Like I said though, both are very nice. We are splitting hairs really.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Remake. Can’t get that amazing color display for an original.

You mean that thing that you only look at when it starts multiball, you destroy the castle, or save a princess? No question the CGC screens are cool, but like all displays, they are not looked at a lot.

Quoted from Gregc:

Whysnow this is your opinion " plain wrong" and mine is worth as much as your is. No need to argue but I am not wrong just a different opinion. Yours opinion matters little to me I make my own decisions. I am sure I have worked on more machines than you have and have owned more so take that for what it is worth. It does have value and I prefer the remake. I have owned several of the original also a remake. I have been a technician for over 34 years.

These are all just our opinions. I know several long term techs and a restorer that feel the opposite of you. They like the remakes, think they are nice, still prefer the original.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I disagree but not going to argue with you

not arguing, just a pinball forum

Quoted from Gregc:

and mine is worth as much as your is

100% Everyone is entitled to their opinion (even if it is wrong )

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You mean that thing that you only look at when it starts multiball, you destroy the castle, or save a princess? No question the CGC screens are cool, but like all displays, they are not looked at a lot.

Yep that’s the one!

It’s less expensive and new. How about that? Haha. I get why some would want an original, but give me new all day long.

#29 5 years ago

What is the print quality of the inserts on your MMR?

Does your game have the diffuser?

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep that’s the one!
It’s less expensive and new. How about that? Haha. I get why some would want an original, but give me new all day long.

Very fair points if you were looking to buy one. I chose a nib MMr for those exact reasons. But what would you do if you already have both setting there. In that case if the original is restored properly I'd go with it and sell the MMr.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Very fair points if you were looking to buy one. I chose a nib MMr for those exact reasons. But what would you do if you already have both setting there. In that case if the original is restored properly I'd go with it and sell the MMr.

I’d honestly keep the one that played better. I’ve played some professionally restored games that play like hot garbage.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’d honestly keep the one that played better. I’ve played some professionally restored games that play like hot garbage.

Agreed, sometimes that super heavy cc makes them play sluggish. Not all restores are created equal.

#33 5 years ago

Maybe worthwhile noting, the original has a Mirco playfield.

I'd say that makes my decision slightly more complicated. IMO, neither of these games play exactly like the original, as both have Playfield that are different. The CGC double clear crack easily on any exposed edge, and I think they play fast. Mirco looks cool, but the clear feels thick, and not like any B/W games. I've also seen some Mirco Dialed In pfs that look like absolute shit even when HUO.

to me and then one of the big advantages to the original is that I would hopefully get my hands on a NOS playfield and do the swap one day in the future. Then I would have a true restored original.

The decision is definitely tough.

#34 5 years ago

Keeping my original that took a year to restore. It has new cabinet decals, Bill Davis restored and cleared playfield, TreasureCove detailed castle and dragon, PinSound+ with speakers and sub and tons of other upgrades. Same with my original AFM and MB, going to keep them. I’ve played the remakes and the differences aren’t worth the hassle to me. Anyone who owns either is a lucky pinball owner

#35 5 years ago

The original is the only one you could get a pinsound board for which lets you customize the music and sounds. Maybe in the future they will make something like this for the remake but who knows.

Remake should have the bigger display option soon so that’s a plus.

I personally dislike the board set in MMR just that it uses a small micro computer to run the game(and store all of the programming) which if there’s ever a problem with that it could be difficult to diagnose(no worse than newer sterns though really). I also don’t like the huge under playfield circuit board and transistors connected to it under the playfield. Plus you can’t change light bulbs(which could be a plus since they might never go bad) but some people like to switch out different bulbs and stuff.

Good luck making this decision. I honestly don’t know what I would do if I was you. Having the LE which you bought new is cool too.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

Good luck making this decision. I honestly don’t know what I would do if I was you. Having the LE which you bought new is cool too.

Indeed the decision is going to be tough, but it's certainly not a bad problem to have! I feel fortunate I can play both great games and then decide on the one I like best.

They both are fantastic games, and there are a lot of good points and thoughts on both games in this thread.

Right now I'm only playing the original (and fixing a few problems) and have the remake set up really friendly with extra balls handed out like candy, and outlanes set to easy. My wife seems to actually be enjoying it, so I'll leave it like that for a while, and who knows, she might see BFTK!

I've played MMR for two years, so I have a pretty solid opinion on the game. I need to put in some time with this original to really see how I feel about it.

I do believe though that it feels like other B/W games (like my old TZ, TOM, IJ, etc.) and the remake just feels modern.

Not saying I like one more than the other at this point, bit anyone saying there isn't a difference, even slight probably needs more time on both of them.

#37 5 years ago

<opinion>
sold my afmr. Sole reason, flippers felt a bit wonky. Same with mmr. The remakes have a lot of great things going for them, displays are fantastc, build quality is generally good, its a huge bummer they don’t feel as responsive as an original. JJP and Spooky can make a pin where the flippers feel great using BW parts. No idea why cgc is missing that one key detail. So close... yet so far away. All that said, you can’t beat a good original....02¢
</opinion>

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

&lt;opinion&gt;
sold my afmr. Sole reason, flippers felt a bit wonky. Same with mmr. The remakes have a lot of great things going for them, displays are fantastc, build quality is generally good, its a huge bummer they don’t feel as responsive as the originals. Gets tiring of fighting reality. JJP and Spooky can make a pin where the flippers feel great using BW parts. No idea why cgc is missing that one key detail. So close... yet so far away. All that said, you can’t beat a good original....02¢
&lt;/opinion&gt;

I have played MMR and MBR and i didn't notice anything being slow or unresponsive about the flippers? They felt nice and snappy to me.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I have played MMR and MBR and i didn't notice anything being slow or unresponsive about the flippers? They felt nice and snappy to me.

It's not really about snappiness in my opinion. More about robustness. It just feel more sturdy. I'm not exactly sure how you explain it. People say B/W flippers have a certain feel to them. I would not say my MMR has that feel. My AFMR is much closer.

I've played 5 MMRs, and I think they all play slightly different, but the difference in the original is more than what I would call a slight game-to-game variance.

Again, everyone sees it differently. Obviously, there are many in this thread that think it's different, other that think it's not, and some even who think the remake feels better.

Gotta play more to really see!

#40 5 years ago

Tough decision!

One day I want an MM but won't be looking for an MMR.

The re-makes are emulations and whilst many say they play the same, they don't.

I really didn't like the feel of the flippers on the MMR.

Anyway, it will be interesting to re-visit the whole original versus remake debate in 5 - 10 years, especially if the remakes encounter board issues.

#41 5 years ago

Damien, for me it is the original because my game is a restored original. Original PF is the deciding factor for me. I prefer the original pfs because IMHO they are better quality (wood and clear coat) I believe (based on this) that the original MM will have more long term value and collectability. I know nothing about Micro pfs. Good luck my friend.

#42 5 years ago

Original with color DMD. No contest.

#43 5 years ago

I'd say that because the older MM has a reproduction playfield, it really isn't original and therefore just keep whichever you are more attached to. i know that my restored mm with all oem parts including playfield feels completely different than the CGC version. I agree that CGC got it just about perfect on AFM LE r which i owned (also owned a restored AFM with all oem parts so i can tell) but they were still going through growing pains when they did MM and didn't get it perfect. I don't know why so many MMr owners have to defend the heck out of their game when those of us that own and have played both can tell that the remake MM simply doesn't feel the same. Unless you have played both extensively, you really can't argue with those of us that have. Now remember, I did say AFMr is just about perfect in feel and yes, i would give the AFM LE the advantage over an original any day of the week so I am not trying to put down the efforts of CGC or say their product is inferior. MM r was simply their first effort and they have become better since.

#44 5 years ago

Remakes have always felt like imitations to me. And o wanted to want one. I wanted a MM in the worst way, and went without it after "feeling" the remake.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

I'd say that because the older MM has a reproduction playfield, it really isn't original and therefore just keep whichever you are more attached to. i know that my restored mm with all oem parts including playfield feels completely different than the CGC version. I agree that CGC got it just about perfect on AFM LE r which i owned (also owned a restored AFM with all oem parts so i can tell) but they were still going through growing pains when they did MM and didn't get it perfect. I don't know why so many MMr owners have to defend the heck out of their game when those of us that own and have played both can tell that the remake MM simply doesn't feel the same. Unless you have played both extensively, you really can't argue with those of us that have. Now remember, I did say AFMr is just about perfect in feel and yes, i would give the AFM LE the advantage over an original any day of the week so I am not trying to put down the efforts of CGC or say their product is inferior. MM r was simply their first effort and they have become better since.

I have both of them here for comparison. Maybe I can come up with a way to run a comparison test. Hmmmm...

As for the pf, if I kept the original, I'd be on the hunt for a brand new NOS. I just missed one on eBay.

I don't want anything with extra clear coating done to it, as I feel that changes the way the game plays. I like my games 100% stock and default, so getting it that way could only happen with an original and some luck finding an original mint and untouched pf!

I hate moving games when it's cold and snowy, so I'll probably play both of these until spring, and then hopefully know which one I'm sticking with by then.

#46 5 years ago

Keep the one you enjoy playing more.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Keep the one you enjoy playing more.

Its really this simple and for me personally that would the remake. I think MMR is awesome.

#48 5 years ago

Both are absolutly great to have.
Choose the one you feel most comfortable with. Other opinions does not matter, you play and maintain it

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

serious collector

This is one of the dumbest phrases. "Serious collector" . Oh, you collect pinball machines.....But are you a serious collector? Hmmm. I see you have 10 machines but one is an MMr. Sorry, you are not serious about collecting.

#50 5 years ago

Pinside puts the value of both at nearly the same. I say keep the original and sell the remake while you can still get the most money for it... originals will never be produced again but remakes will, at least for the foreseeable future, and there is a certain charm to owning a piece of history.

If you're a purist it's not even a question. In every hobby there are purists who will only buy/own originals. It's why people fully restore classic cars and spend countless hours searching for original stock parts. As a collector, there is no alternative.

But if you're just in the hobby to have the most fun possible, the remake brings a lot to the table.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-in-love-with-two-medieval-madness-pins?hl=asmig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.