(Topic ID: 245998)

I'm getting tired of playing virtually and want to try a real machine

By FloorTheInsane

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190626_230919 (resized).jpg
    20190626_230905 (resized).jpg
    There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

My only problem is budget and space. I'd love to own a Black Hole or a Black Knight but I dont think I have enough room for any of those and I am still a smidge bit young to own a house (I'm 15.) What can I do?

#2 4 years ago

Find friends that have machines you can play. Attend a pinball show. Play on location if any in your area. pinballmap.com can help you.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

What Lloyd said: Find some machines you can play without having to provide care and feeding for them. That would be friends' games, location games, or show games.

Then, generate some income, be it mowing lawns, developing a killer app, whatever.

Negotiate an agreement for some space, be it at home, or in someone else's garage, whatever.

Depending on how well you did in the income generation department, look for a cheap and easy restoration candidate and learn about pinball by bringing ta back to life, then trade up for a more expensive cheap and easy restoration project. Repeat as needed until you have the game you want.

I would suggest that your best bet at the moment, though, is to find some games on location. It'll keep you hungry for it. If it doesn't, then you got to learn that without dropping big coin on something that you don't really like much after all.

#4 4 years ago

Enjoy your virtual pinball, at home, for now. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just thrilled that someone your age is passionate about it. Share your love of it with people who don't know anything about pinball and make some friends with those who already have the bug. Most of us are happy to share what we have. Play on location and find a tourney, as mentioned above. You have plenty of time to fall down this "black hole." We will need you and others to carry the torch. Best of luck!

#5 4 years ago

SDTMinSTL I wish I had friends or places within walking or biking distance for me to play pinball. Thing is I have the slight fortune of being homeschooled, only I only go outside 3 times a week normally and it's mostly for church and karate classes which bites me in the leg since I also have the misfortune of living in the middle of nowhere in the south. The joy of not having a true neighborhood. Also my parents are against me biking on my road due to idiotic drivers so I have no choice but to cross that out.

#6 4 years ago

Well when your parents ask you what you want for Christmas this year.... .............. Joey

#7 4 years ago

Breaking_Dad They'd think it's one of my joke listings. (I have requested multiple things as a joke last year such as a Volkswagen Golf and a Spitfire)

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Well when your parents

Any chance of getting your parents involved in this. Find an old game and you and your dad could work on it together ?

#9 4 years ago

You could always scour Craigslist for a good deal on a project pin and learn to fix it up. Hard to say if you'll find anything close enough that you can afford though. Would your parents allow you to keep a pinball machine in your house?

#10 4 years ago

I hear stern pros are under priced so grab your self a NIB bargin

But seriously, get a project and fix it up. It will be a million times more fun then playing it Then you can trade up further down the line.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from FloorTheInsane:

SDTMinSTL I wish I had friends or places within walking or biking distance for me to play pinball. Thing is I have the slight fortune of being homeschooled, only I only go outside 3 times a week normally and it's mostly for church and karate classes which bites me in the leg since I also have the misfortune of living in the middle of nowhere in the south. The joy of not having a true neighborhood. Also my parents are against me biking on my road due to idiotic drivers so I have no choice but to cross that out.

I bought a project bride of pinbot at the Sevierville TN amusement auction in 2012 I think, for 475.00, it needed slot of love, but I brought her back, it is doable for you, but as previously discussed, you need to plan it, first earn id suggest 1000 dollars, arrange a place to keep, maybe a neighbor will lend the space in the garage in exchange to play it? Then attend the auction, find others here on pinside who live near you, I'm sure someone would help you , I truly wish you success! If you have a question feel free to send me a pm

#12 4 years ago

I had the same problem when I was 16: I wanted a pinball machine but we didn't have alot of space for one more at the time...
    Managed to convince my parents to let me buy a Shadow and put it in the kitchen

#13 4 years ago

You should take a trip to Chattanooga and check out the Chattanooga Pinball Museum. Dave, a fellow pinsider, runs the place. He is super nice and might be able to give you some tips about acquiring a machine in your area.

It’s a museum, so you should get some school credit, haha

#14 4 years ago

You might have to wait a couple more years. The world really opens up to you as you become an adult. I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere outside a town of 500 people. My first experience with a pinball machine was when I went to high school. It was almost an hour bus ride to school, but there was an arcade across the street ( it was the 90’sj. Well it didn’t take me long to leave that small town and head for the city. I moved out at 18 and never looked back.

If your parents won’t let you buy a game, then hold on until you have your own place. It might seem like a long time, but time also starts to speed up as you get older. Before you know it, you’ll have a game room of your own.

#15 4 years ago

Maybe ask mom and dad for a car/truck first.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

The world really opens up to you as you become an adult.

So many things open up to you that it’s best to enjoy pinball other ways for the next few years. Plus you need hundreds or thousands of dollars I say better spent on getting a car when you’re young. A car will let you drive to pinball shows for example and much much more.

#17 4 years ago

This is a hard situation for a 15 yr old I agree! Your parents sound like they are trying to look out for your well being!!I was already playing pinball at 15,but I lived in a big town where the Bowling alley was my hang out!! Good luck,don't get feeling left out,a part time job might help your situation! And WE are all behind you as a support group ! Go forth and indever to persevere!

#18 4 years ago

the middle of nowhere in the south

This might actually play to your advantage. I live in Alabama, and I've bought project pins for as little as $50 in the last couple of years. Keep your eyes on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Something will pop up eventually.

#19 4 years ago

Since you're 15, you only have a year till you can get your driver's license, then you will be able to go visit pinball in the wild!

#20 4 years ago

I only go outside 3 times a week normally and it's mostly for church and karate classes which bites me in the leg since I also have the misfortune of living in the middle of nowhere in the south. The joy of not having a true neighborhood. Also my parents are against me biking on my road due to idiotic drivers

Quoted from poppapin:

Since you're 15, you only have a year till you can get your driver's license, then you will be able to go visit pinball in the wild!

I doubt he'll be taking the family car out to play pinball at 16.

#21 4 years ago

Tell your parents you want one to learn to tinker on and learn about physics. Tell them it’s for STEM learning.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

Tell your parents you want one to learn to tinker on and learn about physics. Tell them it’s for STEM learning.

This is exactly the angle to use. You mentioned being home schooled. What better hands-on physics/electronics/tech/mechanics/art tool is there? There is so much to be learned by owning/fixing/restoring a machine. I would let them know you are serious, find ways to help pay for it, and use it as a learning tool. Good luck!

#24 4 years ago

I was like you at 15, I started playing virtually and it grew from there, I am now 24 and still don't have a machine of my own but I am getting there, find a place on location you can play til you can save up, right now I have to get an apartment to put the thing in, but patience is worth it when you finally get a machine of your own

#25 4 years ago

I was able to save up and buy my first pin while working slightly above minimum wage at a Taco Bell. If your good at saving money, you should be able to save enough for a good first pin before too long with just about any job. It's especially easy at your age since you won't have any bills or college debt to pay off. I was also able to keep it in my room for a few years until the bonus room got finished. I'm sure you can make room for at least one pin, as cramped as it might be.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

I was able to save up and buy my first pin while working slightly above minimum wage at a Taco Bell. If your good at saving money, you should be able to save enough for a good first pin before too long with just about any job. It's especially easy at your age since you won't have any bills or college debt to pay off. I was also able to keep it in my room for a few years until the bonus room got finished. I'm sure you can make room for at least one pin, as cramped as it might be.

If it came down to a pin or my bed, bye bye bed lol

#27 4 years ago

My only problem is budget and space. I'd love to own a Black Hole or a Black Knight but I dont think I have enough room for any of those and I am still a smidge bit young to own a house (I'm 15.) What can I do?

I bet if you re-organize and clean your room and your closet, plus get rid of stuff you don't need, I bet you could have enough room for 1 or 2 pinball machines in your room.

Also, is there a family room at home? Perhaps you could re-organize and clean that room up to fit a machine in. That way the whole family could play it without having to go in your room.

Do you have a garage? Can you make room in there for a machine?

#28 4 years ago

Depending on your skill level, an older EM would get you a lot of back for a little buck. Get a cheap one in working condition and learn about cleaning and repair, the parts and tools add up.

What are the chances your basement floods? That seems to have worked as well. I kid, I kid.

#29 4 years ago

Luckydogg420 I agree. Seeme awfully odd for me

Pinball-is-great I dont think I can rearrange successfully without getting yelled at. I don't exactly have a family room. And my parents are strict about the metal building that will become a garage thats being built.... I wish I was old enough to own an apartment

20190626_230919 (resized).jpg20190626_230919 (resized).jpg20190626_230905 (resized).jpg20190626_230905 (resized).jpg
    #30 4 years ago

I wish I was old enough

Don't wish your life away. It will come quick enough.

#31 4 years ago

Prep for the future.
    Maybe build a DIY dorm room type loft bed with a desk underneath.
    That would free up some valuable floor space for the day one arrives.

#32 4 years ago

Luckydogg420 I agree. Seeme awfully odd for me
    Pinball-is-great I dont think I can rearrange successfully without getting yelled at. I don't exactly have a family room. And my parents are strict about the metal building that will become a garage thats being built.... I wish I was old enough to own an apartment[quoted image][quoted image]

you can deffo fit pins in there after a tidy up.

#33 4 years ago

15. you should be hunting all bowling alleys, Pool Halls and arcades in ur area. Oh wait thats was 30 years ago.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

you can deffo fit pins in there after a tidy up.

I mean maybe when the refrigerator is gone I can put an EM. Maybe....

#35 4 years ago

We have some games at a laundromat in Lebanon, but for you that is 60 miles away. There is also an awesome arcade in Murfreesboro but again, pretty far for you.

#36 4 years ago

I'm 15 and want to try real pinball. What can I do?

Get a fake I.D. and go to some barcades? But maybe that's not such a good idea. (Not recommended.)

Or just participate on Pinside. Some are here so often I don't know how they have time to actually play pinball.

#37 4 years ago

Looks like your room was ransacked!

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Looks like your room was ransacked!

Three things:

Cats

Brother

My Mild Laziness (also a light fixture my father forgets about)

Quoted from littlecammi:

Get a fake I.D. and go to some barcades? But maybe that's not such a good idea. (Not recommended.)
    Or just participate on Pinside. Some are here so often I don't know how they have time to actually play pinball.

I mean I do look like I'm in my 20s when I let my mustache grow out so maaaybe it can work?

#39 4 years ago

UPDATE: My mom got the approval slip from the homeschooling thing we're a part of for me to get my permit! PROGRESS

#40 4 years ago

Should you find yourself in northwest New Jersey, I would be delighted to share my collection with your family and you. Just shoot me a pm to arrange a time as I am a pilot and gone waaay too much!

EDIT - I would like to add this invitation goes to other pinsiders as well, who enjoy the hobby and social aspect of pinball. Still waiting for Nico Volta to visit!!

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Should you find yourself in northwest New Jersey, I would be delighted to share my collection with your family and you. Just shoot me a pm to arrange a time as I am a pilot and gone waaay too much!

That's... a creepy coincidence. My mother's from Northeast New Jersey. Heh

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

EDIT - I would like to add this invitation goes to other pinsiders as well, who enjoy the hobby and social aspect of pinball. Still waiting for Nico Volta to visit!!

I will keep that in mind

#43 4 years ago

That's... a creepy coincidence. My mother's from Northeast New Jersey

So sorry to hear that. That is creepy...

#44 4 years ago

Just a thought for you but Pinballs make an incredible amount of noise. I live in a warehouse alone so it doesn't matter, but you should consider the impact this will have on your co-residents. Trying to watch TV in the next room while you play pinball could get old real quick if your family aren't into it.

You can turn the volume down but you can't turn the bumpers, ball, drop targets etc down.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Just a thought for you but Pinballs make an incredible amount of noise. I live in a warehouse alone so it doesn't matter, but you should consider the impact this will have on your co-residents. Trying to watch TV in the next room while you play pinball could get old real quick if your family aren't into it.
    You can turn the volume down but you can't turn the bumpers, ball, drop targets etc down.

I mean my room is a good distance away from the living room so probably wont be too loud in the living room

#46 4 years ago

We have a pinball machine in our bedroom. I think one would fit nicely between the beds, and it’d serve a dual purpose of blocking your brother off from your side of the room.

#47 4 years ago

As a father of two older children I want to give you some advice.. Get a job, save your money, work hard and save your money some more.. good things will eventually come to those that are patient and follow a path to success.. Pinball, cars, women, etc are all nice distractions and fun to pass the time, but unless you are dedicated to making a successful life for yourself, having the funds to buy the "fun" things in life will not be easy..

Also, I dont mean to come across as a parent, and im certainly not your parent, but a wise man once said..""If you make your bed every morning, you will have accomplished the first task of the day, making your bed helps to reinforce the importance of life's finer details."

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from tscottn:

As a father of two older children I want to give you some advice.. Get a job, save your money, work hard and save your money some more.. good things will eventually come to those that are patient and follow a path to success.. Pinball, cars, women, etc are all nice distractions and fun to pass the time, but unless you are dedicated to making a successful life for yourself, having the funds to buy the "fun" things in life will not be easy..
    Also, I dont mean to come across as a parent, and im certainly not your parent, but a wise man once said..""If you make your bed every morning, you will have accomplished the first task of the day, making your bed helps to reinforce the importance of life's finer details."

/\this, and it will feel so much better when you finally get that first machine

#49 4 years ago

See if you can convince your parents to go to one of these shows:

http://southernfriedgameroomexpo.com

https://grandoleexpo.com

#50 4 years ago

Oh yes, the Grand Ole Gameroom Expo is fantastic. They have an arcade and classic console section as well.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-getting-tired-of-playing-virtually-and-want-to-try-a-real-machine?hl=zennmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.