Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 281 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by timab2000
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1185(1) (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    672F1E79-CFBE-4D5A-98DC-663BB7AE9222 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1539 (resized).PNG
    20180706_183200 (resized).jpg
    84c87fcbae625fb92a293a308ccdc6e5474f8fb4 (resized).jpg
    35D86605-B2EA-43A5-968D-D5DBDAD4A8F1 (resized).jpeg
    100_1981 (resized).JPG
    party (resized).jpg
    606648 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1532 (resized).PNG
    514qFL2mO4L._UX385_ (resized).jpg
    BarrgeAlley (resized).png
    Barrge (resized).jpg
    j house (resized).jpg
    4F6C939A-F9AD-44FA-A6FA-2B7CDA2F39EA (resized).jpeg

There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 5 years ago

Sorry guys let me vent .

I am done talking about pinball to non pinheads !!!!

#2 5 years ago

Or even letting people know I own , play pinball !

#3 5 years ago

yeah, other people just don’t understand...

#4 5 years ago

Whats wrong Golfingdad, what happened? I was afraid that i was going to open the thread up and read that you were done with pinball all together. Im glad that didnt happen.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Sorry guys let me vent .
    I am done talking about pinball to non pinheads !!!!

Quoted from golfingdad1:

Or even letting people know I own , play pinball !

Why? Do tell.

#6 5 years ago

1st Rule of Pinball Club is that you don't talk about Pinball Club.

#7 5 years ago

Dude...
    Thanks Guys .
    Completely tired of the remarks behind the back heard when leaving a room.
    Wizard , he paid how much for what?
    Not worth it . Im pissed and disappointed at the same time .
    I am a really outgoing fun, ok lets party kind of guy and I'm not particularly young.
    But fuck it . Not worth the time or effort yo explain to them !!!!

#8 5 years ago

And I dont even talk about the expensive one

#9 5 years ago

After that shit..... I would fk um.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

After that shit..... I would fk um.

Usually do, I give folks one strike .

#11 5 years ago

I need to shut up and listen...then laugh at what they love maybe.
    Nah not my Style!

#12 5 years ago

Learned years ago not to tell people how many games I have
    if they ask, I only say 10

never talk about price

#13 5 years ago

Perhaps this is a blessing.
    May help you figure out who your friends are.
    If it's co-workers or family, then oh well.
    Just hang out with people that are more fun to be around.

#14 5 years ago

Bruh...pro tip, stop hangin with d-bags you’re better than that.

#15 5 years ago

Ive encountered the same non pin people , mainly wifes friends when they walk into the house are confronted with a line of 8 either mint or full resto top end games and occasionally to make polite conversation they have asked what do these things cost
    well the look on their face when told the mint CC 14k CV 11k MB 13K and so on and then i mention ive 26 in simular cond im sure i get a mention in the car later
    couldnt care less
    i know people who have 90k boats that use them 3 or 4 times a year rego depreciation etc ive had 2 boats never broke even on either not even close
    the same non pin people wouldnt blink an eye at a 100k boat but pins they dont understand
    hey i dont get golf i see alot of people do but I cannot for the life of me understand why
    enjoy your pins golfingdad

#16 5 years ago

Well said @john17a. Just enjoy your pins golfingdad1 If they don’t get it then it’s their loss.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Dude...
    Thanks Guys .
    I am a really outgoing fun, ok lets party kind of guy and I'm not particularly young.

Why tell them what you paid for the machines?

#18 5 years ago

Only a couple people know what I paid.

For the most part, I just lie.

“Wow, that Batman 66 LE is awesome...how much?”

“$1,200” - me

#19 5 years ago

I rarely talk prices with non-pinheads. I talk to them about the great community, friends I have made, things I have learned, and how much fun they can be.
    When they persist on wanting to know price I quickly realize it has nothing to do with the pinballs and more to do with their desire to be nosy or wanting to size up themselves. I kindly tell them that some can be expensive and some can be cheap, but largely they hold their value over time so this has been a pretty cheap hobby to enjoy.

I also dont like to get into details as a few of those asshole types can easily become Choggards.

#20 5 years ago

1/ don’t ever talk about what machines cost.

2/ if asked, say “you can get a machine for a couple of grand”. That’s more than enough information. If you told them you just paid $21,000 for a Big Lebowski, more than likely they’ll have you committed.

3/ don’t even tell anyone you’re into pinball. Unless they walk into your games room and see 100 of them. Then they probably know.

Some golden rules to live by.

rd

#21 5 years ago

I won't talk about prices either.

But sometimes when people say they can't believe how much I've spent, I remind them than there are marinas filled with boats, or fancy cars in garages. People spend their money in different ways. That usually gets a "ah, yeah" response.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

1/ don’t ever talk about what machines cost.
    2/ if asked, say “you can get a machine for a couple of grand”. That’s more than enough information. If you told them you just paid $21,000 for a Big Lebowski, more than likely they’ll have you committed.
    3/ don’t even tell anyone you’re into pinball. Unless they walk into your games room and see 100 of them. Then they probably know.
    Some golden rules to live by.
    rd

4/ if they are hot then you tell them it is a pants off game room.

Then they stop worrying how much they cost real quickly...

#23 5 years ago

Probably a lack of understanding and being respectful. I don't understand why my wife needs 10 (+?) different pairs of white shoes and while she does not understand why I need multiple pinball machines. We still get along though . I have friends that collect different things; guns, coins, cars, vacations, etc. Some of those things have a high price tag that is over what I am comfortable spending -- but it is their money to spend and not mine.

When someone asks about cost I usually just say "More than you want to know" and leave it at that.

#24 5 years ago

Best way I explain it is just look at my car compared to pretty much everyone else’s car that I know.

Me: hey man what did you pay for that nice truck?

Him: idk, 40-45k.

Me: well I paid like 10k for my car. With the money I saved from doing that I put an arcade in my basement.

Then just watch the wheels of jealousy turn in their head.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

4/ if they are hot then you tell them it is a pants off game room.

Now we know what goes on around at Hilton’s parties.

rd

#26 5 years ago

I think most people are jealous that they...

a) don't own any machines
    b) can't afford machines

When a + b happen they get condescending. It's just a defence mechanism.

#27 5 years ago

If they snub their nose at you, tell them what a tz or taf cost 10 or 15 years ago and what they go for today. That usually opens their eyes and shuts their mouths real fast.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I think most people are jealous that they...
    a) don't own any machines
    b) can't afford machines
    When a + b happen they get condescending. It's just a defence mechanism.

Yes, But one can also toot his own horn without blowing it.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

If they snub their nose at you, tell them what a tz or taf cost ....

If they snub their nose at you, that’s a sign that maybe you shouldn’t have told them anything in the first place.

rd

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Best way I explain it is just look at my car compared to pretty much everyone else’s car that I know.
    Me: hey man what did you pay for that nice truck?
    Him: idk, 40-45k.
    Me: well I paid like 10k for my car. With the money I saved from doing that I put an arcade in my basement.
    Then just watch the wheels of jealousy turn in their head.

That’s reality for me. I don’t spend tons of money on cars, guns or booze (ok, a little on each, but nothing crazy). I buy used cars with low miles. We live in a house we can afford. No boats or trips to exotic countries. Which means I can afford a pinball machine on occasion. To each their own, I suppose. It’s just how I prioritize my money.

A lot of people are idiots anyhow. I’ll bet anyone $10 that my net worth is a lot higher than a majority of people who are driving around exotic cars, have fancy boats, etc. and the jokes on them when we get to retirement age...

#31 5 years ago

I always get people asking me.."how much does a pinball cost" and I like to answer "how much does a car cost". Its such a stupid question I outdo them with a more stupid answer

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

A lot of people are idiots anyhow.

It's sad that people will proudly post photos of a new car on facebook, which represents $80k in debt for them that they took on, and yet a row of pinball machines we paid cash money for is cause for derision.

#33 5 years ago

If your bills are paid and you are not asking them for money then f them it’s none of there damn business. My normal answer is some people fish some people hunt my hobby is pinball.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Dude...
    Thanks Guys .

Maybe you overpaid.

#35 5 years ago

I have certain people who actually look up the prices of new games in anticipation of me getting them.... Then they simply say " did ya get that new so and so for for $$$$. My wife would kill me "

At this point I love to reply YES and also picked up the new so and so because I just couldn't pass up the deal I got .

Some people sit on their money and you can shovel it in the grave when they die...... pinballs almost as good as cash in the bank and alot more fun !!!

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

I have certain people who actually look up the prices of new games in anticipation of me getting them.... Then they simply say " did ya get that new so and so for for $$$$. My wife would kill me "
    At this point I love to reply YES and also picked up the new so and so because I just couldn't pass up the deal I got .
    Some people sit on their money and you can shovel it in grave when they die...... pinballs almost as good as cash in the bank and alot more fun !!!

Hell yeah! I know people who can retire with tons of money but they keep working and saving.

F@ck what other people think or say. If you can live this way life is great.

#37 5 years ago

Lots of people are insecure, so they have no problem spending huge amounts of money on items everyone can see to show the world how successful they are (cars, boats, homes, purses, shoes, watches).. Those same people then won’t understand why you would spend so much money on stuff that lives in your basement that you don’t show off to the world. It’s all about perspective.

#38 5 years ago

Reminds me of a podcast about early retirement & travel I listened to few years back.

A guy went on awesome trips, like 3 a year or such. His peers would say "must be nice" or "how's that possible".

He pointed out his lifestyle was equal to his peers buying a new Honda Civic every 4 years & how no one ever says to a Civic owner "must be nice" or "how's that possible".

#39 5 years ago

Yep!! Outside of the very small group inside the world of pinball, nobody cares about or understands pinball. No biggie if people don't know what they're missing.

#40 5 years ago

I actually enjoy the weird looks I get when I tell people I restore pinball machines. I also have no issue mentioning price. Some think it's kind of silly until I tell them the owners have as much as $12,000 invested in each machine. They then ask if I own any myself. I just say, maybe.

#41 5 years ago

I think we have all heard how much did they cost? You must be a pinball “Wizard”. But what drives me more nuts is they don’t play or even afraid to touch a game. Sorry guys if I come over ya I’m going to talk but but I’m also going to play and then play some more.

#42 5 years ago

People seem more surprised by the amount of space games take than the price. But it’s fairly rare that they know how much I’ve really spent on them.

But the cool part is, the games have retained a big residual value. Compared to other hobbies, I could still get a large part of the funds I tied up back out of it. There are very few hobbies where that is true. And I’ve had a blast with them. Overall this is one of the least expensive hobbies going.

#43 5 years ago

People are always amazing and ask how the hell I got all of them down there. They have no idea that the legs come off and head folds down or comes off. If you couldn’t do that, I never would have gotten any games. Haha

#44 5 years ago

Sounds like you need better friends. Most people I run into seem genuinely interested in pinball once the subject comes up.

#45 5 years ago

Muggles.....

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

People seem more surprised by the amount of space games take than the price. But it’s fairly rare that they know how much I’ve really spent on them.
    But the cool part is, the games have retained a big residual value. Compared to other hobbies, I could still get a large part of the funds I tied up back out of it. There are very few hobbies where that is true. And I’ve had a blast with them. Overall this is one of the least expensive hobbies going.

100% correct.

#47 5 years ago

When non pin people people ask how much they cost I normally tell them you are only limited by your wallet and how much space you have. Then I get well they must be expensive and I tell them I tend to buy less desirable ones that need to be fixed.
    I've been asked several times by pin people why all the Gottlieb's so its kind of a catch 22.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

People seem more surprised by the amount of space games take than the price.

I too feel space/mobilization is more a barrier to entry than price.

#49 5 years ago

If people ask me how much money I've spent on my machines, I just slap them with a wad of 100s and tell them they couldn't afford it anyways

Nah...I say between 500-15k, which is true, but doesnt necessarily put a specific value on my particular machines. Then you can talk about age and condition and how they hold their value etc. Doesnt have to be about money at all. People can sink thousands of dollars into any hobby, whether its coins, stamps, trading cards, or whatever.

Dont sweat if Golfingdad. It's your life, you do what you want. Who cares what the Jones's think.

#50 5 years ago

A lot of times those same people that are surprised why someone would ever spend so much on a pin are dropping $30k-$50k on new vehicles that will be worth an 1/8th of that price in 10 years, lol. The pinball machine, unlike a majority of new cars, will hold its value, depreciate a bit or possibly go up in value. At the end of the day I just use a line from a family member to help justify any larger purchase "there's no point in being the richest guy in the cemetery one day", lol.

There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-done-?hl=jfre81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.