Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 281 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by timab2000
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1185(1) (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    672F1E79-CFBE-4D5A-98DC-663BB7AE9222 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1539 (resized).PNG
    20180706_183200 (resized).jpg
    84c87fcbae625fb92a293a308ccdc6e5474f8fb4 (resized).jpg
    35D86605-B2EA-43A5-968D-D5DBDAD4A8F1 (resized).jpeg
    100_1981 (resized).JPG
    party (resized).jpg
    606648 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1532 (resized).PNG
    514qFL2mO4L._UX385_ (resized).jpg
    BarrgeAlley (resized).png
    Barrge (resized).jpg
    j house (resized).jpg
    4F6C939A-F9AD-44FA-A6FA-2B7CDA2F39EA (resized).jpeg
    There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 5 years ago

If you use the words, "this hobby allows me to relive the moments of childhood", or "provides an understanding of the developments of history regarding electronic entertainment" diminishes the aspects of trying to explain costs or value to another non pinhead directly, which is a common problem and some of the first questions asked.

The other keywords are "not all games cost thousands of dollars", as there is no need to detail expenditures or show off game rooms.
    Why?
    The best way to avoid being burned out by others is donate a game project to an aspiring protege and get them involved restoring the game themselves.
    The rest of the magic will work itself in the journey.
    It works well.

The process is not about ownership, but restoration and pride in work.
    A fellow senior technician today (who is quickly becoming the last of few who regularly refurbishes CRTs of all makes and models for many classic games) said something interesting to me.

"There are many hobbyists, but few experts in specific areas of coin amusement, and being one of the few who knows a direct system, makes a person extremely invaluable to the industry even for consignment work, and they are sought out."
    A very true statement.

A purpose beyond simple collecting.
    Be that person, and leave your mark on the world.

#202 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm done... giving a shit.

The fact that you had any shits to give in the first place is amazing.

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

you win
    im sick of being trolled by you
    i have bigger things to deal with, than you always talking down at me
    im done with Pinside

Well that's a shame Pete, because I'm really going to miss the unsolicited messages you send me complaining about the local pinball scene and expecting me to provide you with some miracle solution. It was always such a refreshing change from the public persona you put on display here on pinside because of who might be reading in the shadows.

If you want change at a grassroots level then you need to be proactive like I am and interact with those outside of the local clique rather than putting the purple circle up on pedestals and never questioning their underlying self serving motives.

That's why you don't have a WOZLE and I do and why you are only now trying to recover $5432.10 of most likely squandered deposit money whilst I'm planning the logistics of my next container load import.

100_1981 (resized).JPG100_1981 (resized).JPG
    #204 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

Quite the cynical statement!

#205 5 years ago

He said load.

#206 5 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Dude...

Completely tired of the remarks behind the back heard when leaving a room.
    Wizard , he paid how much for what?

If anyone questions the price, I ask if they own a pet. And to calculate how much that pet costs over 10 years.
    At least pinball machines still have resale value 10 years later.
    It's a lot like wearing expensive watches: some people get it, others don't.

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

If you use the words, "this hobby allows me to relive the moments of childhood"

...then you really outta think about getting a life you enjoy more now.

Quoted from WolfManCat:

There may have been a time.

#208 5 years ago

What’s wrong with wearing your Pin like a watch? My Pin came thru drippin

#209 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

He said load.

All 40ft of it. Priors have been 20's.

Going to be a job in itself making storage space once it lands.

#210 5 years ago

DILLIGAF.

Learn it. Live it. Thank me.

#211 5 years ago

I usually explain a little about the hobby beyond just the price range of games.

The thrill of the hunt for a game, meeting other people in the hobby, scavenging for parts, attending shows, doing repairs and making dead games live again, doing research on games, documenting repairs and information, appreciating the artwork, participating in tournaments...most people tend to perk up and ask a lot more questions when I open that door and they find out there's a lot more to it than just buying, selling, or playing.

#212 5 years ago

Well said.

Forceflow's a man living in the now, and reflects a lot of the reasons I do this.

#213 5 years ago

Family and friends can be a pain. I think everyone on here gets the right idea. If they're showing concern, be kind. If they're being a jerk, time to take a pot shot back (like my mother in law - never gets why I keep buying them and loves to make comments on how I should be spending my money, but threw $2,200 at a paint job on her 10 year old Civic cause 'it looked crappy'... yeah ok... mother in laws are the best). If they really want to get sassy about Pins and Prices - I'll show em the escalera in the garage I bought just to move them.

For every time I get a person who doesn't get it or thinks it's a silly hobby - I find someone that makes it totally worthwhile. I wear my nerd badge with pride, and sometimes that works out and sometimes it doesn't. Most people are friendly enough and don't really give me too much grief. Occasionally you get a lead on a new machine that someone has had sitting in their basement. The payoff is making a new pinball friend completely out of the blue. I have an office job, and I sit next to a large strapping dude who lives on acreage and played college football - what you'd probably (and largely accurately) classify as a giant meathead. After a few conversations he tells me he grew up with a Fireball Classic in his parents basement. So after a few more conversations - he tagged along with me to the local downtown arcade. After a few trips there, it's a regular thing that we eat our lunch at our desks and hit the arcade for 'lunch 3-4 days a week. Out of the blue - I have a new playing buddy that wants to get one for his basement.

#214 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

I've snorted 60K with a piece of paper, does that count? It was a long time ago

The Len Bias story scared me enough to NEVER try it. Was offered cocaine at parties in the 80's and I wasn't even tempted.

#215 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

The Len Bias story scared me enough to NEVER try it. Was offered cocaine at parties in the 80's and I wasn't even tempted.

just read the Len Bias story never heard of him in Australia SHAME now we have ICE -- WORSE

#216 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ive actually had several people make smartass comments to me about how much money that i have spent on pinball machines and ask me why on earth do i need so many etc. They have no idea how well they hold their value and how they sometimes even go up in value, they think that they will be worth nothing in a few years.

It’s usually more fun to say something arrogant & cocky in return like “cause I’m Rick James & rich bitch” Just pisses off the haters even more.

#217 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:The Len Bias story scared me enough to NEVER try it.

All I learned from that was don't do blow and play basketball at the same time.

#218 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

I've said this before, but some people consider fun some sort of a drug or something; like you're doing something wrong if you're enjoying what you're doing. When I was a kid, I used to wonder why, when people got to be adults, they stopped having fun. I mean, you're an adult, you get to do what you want!!! Do what you want!! What's the use if it's no fun? I've been teaching 7th grade for 25 years, and I tell the kids every year, "You'll know when I'm not enjoying this job any more because I won't be here."
    My friend told me the other day, "If fun is a drug, you're a hopeless addict."
    Yup. And proud of it.

I am glad for you. Some people cannot enjoy anything no matter what it is. The fact that you enjoy your job is a rarity. Now go give those little shits hell, make them behave like civilized humans.

#219 5 years ago
    Quoted from Evilelement:

Idk this hobby is great if you have good friends. My issue isnt the people who talk money behind my back , but mainly the collectors who scream they got this pin for so much , then a year later try and flip for thousands more.
    Or have an issue with a pin , tell someone else then try to sell it you as mint.
    Out of the 40+ reletionships ive made 99% are like that.
    MONEY is toxic in any hobby!!!
    Ive sold 14 this this month , getting out .. and you know what not one of my so called friends were offered any . To the new buyers who got one of my cheap pins , hopfully they pay it forward

What do you have left? I'm a little too close to you to not ask?

#220 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The thrill of the hunt for a game, meeting other people in the hobby, scavenging for parts, attending shows, doing repairs and making dead games live again, doing research on games, documenting repairs and information, appreciating the artwork, participating in tournaments...most people tend to perk up and ask a lot more questions when I open that door and they find out there's a lot more to it than just buying, selling, or playing.

Excellent way to explain why we enjoy pinball so much to non-pinheads. (Non-pinheads think we are adults still playing with kid toys (pinball machines) where yachts, cars etc are "respectable adult toys")

#221 5 years ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

For every time I get a person who doesn't get it or thinks it's a silly hobby

We need more silliness in our lives. It's what keeps us going.

#222 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

We need more silliness in our lives. It's what keeps us going.

Take up golf,and you'll have enough silliness for ten people.

#223 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Truer words have never been spoken.
    Example:
    My last Jekyll and Hyde round.

35D86605-B2EA-43A5-968D-D5DBDAD4A8F1 (resized).jpeg35D86605-B2EA-43A5-968D-D5DBDAD4A8F1 (resized).jpeg
    #224 5 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Example:

That looks like one of my "18 holes is a few too many" rounds.

#225 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

"respectable adult toys"

Most "adults" are just pretending. They secretly envy those who don't play that peer pressure game. They think "silly" wouldn't be "socially acceptable" to their peer group. They're trapped in an image/life and jealous of those who don't care what people think about how someone enjoys his/her adult life. So they have to snipe and criticize.

#226 5 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Dude...
    Thanks Guys .
    Completely tired of the remarks behind the back heard when leaving a room.
    Wizard , he paid how much for what?
    Not worth it . Im pissed and disappointed at the same time .
    I am a really outgoing fun, ok lets party kind of guy and I'm not particularly young.
    But fuck it . Not worth the time or effort yo explain to them !!!!

jealousy is a disease, get well soon haters

#227 5 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Example:

Looks about right for most of us.
    As soon as you think you got it (out), the tides turn quickly (in).

#228 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

84c87fcbae625fb92a293a308ccdc6e5474f8fb4 (resized).jpg84c87fcbae625fb92a293a308ccdc6e5474f8fb4 (resized).jpg
    #229 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ive actually had several people make smartass comments to me about how much money that i have spent on pinball machines and ask me why on earth do i need so many etc. They have no idea how well they hold their value and how they sometimes even go up in value, they think that they will be worth nothing in a few years.
    It has bothered me a few times i wont lie, and i know that there's some people that talk behind my back also but you know what? I dont give a shit anymore because i go to work every effin day and i bust my ass and i just don't care anymore what people think, they can go to hell as far as im concerned. Its my money and im the one who works hard for it and works a very rough schedule and im done feeling guilty about it. Its just like a few people have mentioned previously, its nothing but jealousy on their part anyway. They just want to bring you down when they make comments like that because their life isn't as great as what they are trying to lead you to believe. Dont let them get inside your head and bring you down!

When cornered by the price questions, I'll say modern games are $5k to $10k. I always add that I know plenty of people with 50 or 100 or 200 game collections. It keeps them busy doing the mental gymnastics, while I slip away fell satisfied and glad that I'm nothing like those other sicko bastards.

#230 5 years ago

I think what Golfingdad1 really needs is a trip to the Pinside Pinvitational. Where golf, Pinsiders, beer and Pinball go hand in hand...in hand...in hand.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinvataional-is-up-and-running-1

We just need The Gorilla and some other passionate Pinsiders to make it happen a second time!
    Man, has it already been 6 years?!?

#231 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I am a very dedicated golfer and now pinballer.... you sayin' i'm screwed?

#232 5 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

I think what Golfingdad1 really needs is a trip to the Pinside Pinvitational. Where golf, Pinsiders, beer and Pinball go hand in hand...in hand...in hand.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinvataional-is-up-and-running-1
    We just need The Gorilla and some other passionate Pinsiders to make it happen a second time!
    Man, has it already been 6 years?!?

I'm in !

20180706_183200 (resized).jpg20180706_183200 (resized).jpg

#233 5 years ago

I don't usually tell people how much pinball machines cost, most people don't ask. However, I can say, nobody is jealous of your pinball machine Most people don't care at all, people hate for all kinds of reasons, but nobody wakes up angry someone else has a pinball machine that they don't. (unless maybe that person belongs to this site.)

#234 5 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I don't usually tell people how much pinball machines cost, most people don't ask. However, I can say, nobody is jealous of your pinball machine Most people don't care at all, people hate for all kinds of reasons, but nobody wakes up angry someone else has a pinball machine that they don't. (unless maybe that person belongs to this site.)

Its not about being jealous of your pinball machine. Its about being jealous of you having that kind of disposable income that you can buy toys with. When someone makes a comment about how “they cant believe you would waste money on a pinball machine like that” or maybe “why does he need so many pinball machines for, what a dumb thing to do”, then chances are that person is jealous of your success, your financial situation, or your happiness etc. Alot of people cant stand to see people doing well and enjoying their lives for some reason. I don’t understand it but its the truth. I wish everyone could do well and have the things that they want in life. I am not a jealous or greedy person at all, maybe a little envious sometimes but not jealous at all.

#235 5 years ago
    IMG_1539 (resized).PNGIMG_1539 (resized).PNG
    #236 5 years ago

This is a great thread. Keep it going.

Quoted from fireball2:

They think "silly" wouldn't be "socially acceptable" to their peer group.

We need silliness. It's what keeps us going.

#237 5 years ago

I must be in the wrong place then.

#238 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No way man, you're leading the parade.

#239 5 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

As long as it's not the West Hollywood parade, I can hang with that.

#240 5 years ago

Let me try again

#241 5 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Ooh, I have some pants he could borrow!
    Much better than cut-off denim.

672F1E79-CFBE-4D5A-98DC-663BB7AE9222 (resized).jpeg672F1E79-CFBE-4D5A-98DC-663BB7AE9222 (resized).jpeg
    #242 5 years ago

How about this parade?

#243 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
    #244 5 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Ooh, I have some pants he could borrow!
    Much better than cut-off denim.

Borrow...? Are you kidding me !
    Me as John Daly on Pin golf tourney

IMG_1185(1) (resized).jpgIMG_1185(1) (resized).jpg
    #245 5 years ago

Nah, that’s got a more Guy Fieri golf vibe going.

You need to be waAAAYYyy drunker than that pic leads on and probably four times corpse-ashore-bloated to pull a true JD.

#246 5 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Nah, that’s got a more Guy Fieri vibe going. You need to be waAAAYYyy drunker than that pic leads on and probably four times corpse-ashore-bloated to pull a true JD.

Ya the hair definitely...its what I had.
    But I do have the pants

#247 5 years ago

Just had a friend of a friend message me about a williams grand prix that want to get rid of for free. This is where talking about pins to people pays off.

#248 5 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

I am a very dedicated golfer and now pinballer.... you sayin' i'm screwed?

No,you're not screwed,because they're both great hobbies,even though they both hurt our feelings a lot.

#249 5 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

Just had a friend of a friend message me about a williams grand prix that want to get rid of for free. This is where talking about pins to people pays off.

That's a good point. Benefits of sharing your hobby with non pinheads.

#250 5 years ago

Some people specifically said people were jealous of their pinball machines, which is not the case. It's good that you don't believe that. Pinball is probably the 100th thing I'll talk to someone about. Mainly because nobody cares, but if people are saying those types of things, you are telling too many people you have pinball machines. I think people will judge a lot more about their perception about how the games are childish or juvenile, 99 times out of 100, nobody assumes they are as expensive as they are, and people don't ask. I just doesn't dawn on them to. You just can't say anything that leads them down that path.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

When someone makes a comment about how “they cant believe you would waste money on a pinball machine like that” or maybe “why does he need so many pinball machines for, what a dumb thing to do”, then chances are that person is jealous of your success, your financial situation, or your happiness

There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-done-/page/5?hl=cory_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.