Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 281 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by timab2000
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1185(1) (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    672F1E79-CFBE-4D5A-98DC-663BB7AE9222 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1539 (resized).PNG
    20180706_183200 (resized).jpg
    84c87fcbae625fb92a293a308ccdc6e5474f8fb4 (resized).jpg
    35D86605-B2EA-43A5-968D-D5DBDAD4A8F1 (resized).jpeg
    100_1981 (resized).JPG
    party (resized).jpg
    606648 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1532 (resized).PNG
    514qFL2mO4L._UX385_ (resized).jpg
    BarrgeAlley (resized).png
    Barrge (resized).jpg
    j house (resized).jpg
    4F6C939A-F9AD-44FA-A6FA-2B7CDA2F39EA (resized).jpeg
    There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

I had a friends wife ask me if I would sell her my MB to her for the husbands birthday.
    She said she has 1500 cash and she will go home now and get it if I can deliver today.
    I looked her dead in the eye and said throw in you Honda Civic and we have a deal.
    She laughed and said I was crazy.

What is it with that $1500 figure? Seems to be a common number people think pins are worth. Had a good friend ask if one of my pins cost $1500 just this afternoon.

#152 5 years ago

I was more offended when a friend asked if he could get a nice Stars for $350

#153 5 years ago

As someone who resells stuff, "regular people" think everyone else's hobby/projects are crazy and a waste of money if they're not into it.
    I've bought moldy items, paid for "garbage" out of a dumpster a few times, bought old CRT tubes, and use old postage.
    If there's demand and a decent price I try and save it, it's better than the landfill.
    I don't take it personally, everyone thinks someone else's hobby is weird and most of the stuff I deal in people look at me like I'm crazy buying it to save it from the dumpster.

#154 5 years ago
    IMG_1532 (resized).PNGIMG_1532 (resized).PNG
    #155 5 years ago

Now go get your shine box.

#156 5 years ago

Not exactly on topic but my last 3 pins cost me $24,400 and that was a savings of ~ $2200 from buying used.

If you’d have told me 10 years ago I’d be spending this much on pins I’d have said you were crazy too

Woz RR with RadCals
    DI LE
    AFM LE

#157 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Not exactly on topic but my last 3 pins cost me $24,000 and that was a savings of ~ $2000 from buying used.
    If you’d have told me 10 years ago I’d be spending this much on pins I’d have said you were crazy too
    Woz RR
    DI LE
    AFM LE

My last three cost 4000
    Hoops 1700
    Genesis 1500
    Stingray 800

#158 5 years ago

Flip the script and make people feel stupid that they aren't fun. Hits a nerve and works like a charm no matter how much money they have.

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

I know this is easier said than done, but who gives a $#!+ what other people think?
    When people make backhanded comments that are unnecessary; they are either jealous, angry individuals, or just hate their own life. Their one goal is to ruin everyone else's fun. And when they try to, they look like asses doing it.

...how true, and includes friends, co-workers and unfortunately family members. Whether during my military or State tenure, I have witnessed so many individuals who live everyday miserable, angry, and basically never have anything good to say about anything. An $8.5K pinball machine or a $10K R/C model airplane is a complete waste of money in their eyes. Generally, I don't discuss pricing, job salary or any financial issues. These people will treat you differently once they learn you have a Porsche in the garage or support a silly hobby like pinball. Then comes the request for a loan!

#160 5 years ago

#161 5 years ago

It's the same look I get from people when they see my posters. Try telling someone you spent $60K on a piece of paper....

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Not exactly on topic but my last 3 pins cost me $24,400 and that was a savings of ~ $2200 from buying used.
    Woz RR with RadCals
    DI LE
    AFM LE

We have the exact same lineup! (High Five)

#163 5 years ago

Without reading every reply, I will add that I think it partly depends on whether somebody is pin poor. No different than car poor or house poor.

If you're scrimping to get by and/or money is tight...I'd be questioning the wisdom of buying $6000 toys as well.

#164 5 years ago

The hobby is definitely stigmatized unfortunately.

You're seen by most as:

1. "pinball wizard".... "hahahahha" or
    2. Wasting a lot of money on a dorky hobby.

And more times than not, its a hobby not good for maintaining a relationship OR introducing to a new prospective mate. It definitely decreases your level on manliness.

Shame.

#165 5 years ago

Don't forget....sometimes it's just curiosity. I went to a friend's house once who was a stamp collector (yeah, I know!)
    He said he just made a deal for a stamp he'd been looking for for 10 years! Of course I asked him how much it was worth.....just curious...not judging...

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Of course I asked him how much it was worth.....just curious...not judging...

How much was the stamp worth?

#167 5 years ago

I guess it ultimately depends on the type of people you surround yourself with. Majority of my friends always want to play when they come over or are curious about purchasing their own. Some are millionaires, some are thousandaires, but jealousy isn't one of their character traits thus money is talked about freely and openly.

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

1/ don’t ever talk about what machines cost.
    2/ if asked, say “you can get a machine for a couple of grand”. That’s more than enough information. If you told them you just paid $21,000 for a Big Lebowski, more than likely they’ll have you committed.
    3/ don’t even tell anyone you’re into pinball. Unless they walk into your games room and see 100 of them. Then they probably know.
    Some golden rules to live by.
    rd

Anyone paying 21K for TBL should be committed

#169 5 years ago

Stick a fork in him.

606648 (resized).jpg606648 (resized).jpg
    #170 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

"That Batman 66 LE is awesome...how much?” I lie and tell him “$1,200.”

Which is okay until you come home and find your wife bragging she sold your 66 LE to that guy for twice the $1200 you paid.

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

and genuinely asked him if there was anything in his life that he did purely for fun - no ancillary health benefit, financial gain, moral motivation, social status, nothing...just for fun.

I've said this before, but some people consider fun some sort of a drug or something; like you're doing something wrong if you're enjoying what you're doing. When I was a kid, I used to wonder why, when people got to be adults, they stopped having fun. I mean, you're an adult, you get to do what you want!!! Do what you want!! What's the use if it's no fun? I've been teaching 7th grade for 25 years, and I tell the kids every year, "You'll know when I'm not enjoying this job any more because I won't be here."

My friend told me the other day, "If fun is a drug, you're a hopeless addict."

Yup. And proud of it.

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

some people consider fun some sort of a drug or something

Then there are those that consider some drugs fun or something. And others have fun with both.

#173 5 years ago

First and foremost, if they're talking behind your back, you probably need to change your crowd!

When I introduce friends to my collection, it's usually the volume of machines looking peculiar, (after all, seems like most of us have more than 10). I can understand it appears like overkill since they don't understand the huge difference in theme and play variety, and of course, the amount of space needed. Never-the-less, once they tried playing, as I stated before, my parties went from closing up at 1-1:30 to around 4-5 in the morning. Couldn't get rid of 'em.

The car and boat comparisons do not work with me. Although cars are a household item. I see very few with more than 2-3. Boats are luxury items obviously, but again, few have more than 1. I think 30 pins in the basement sounds a bit more unique than having a boat in the driveway.

Remember, a hobby is your source of enjoyment. ROI is just a by-product. As long as you had fun, who cares?

#174 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

I've said this before, but some people consider fun some sort of a drug or something; like you're doing something wrong if you're enjoying what you're doing. When I was a kid, I used to wonder why, when people got to be adults, they stopped having fun. I mean, you're an adult, you get to do what you want!!! Do what you want!! What's the use if it's no fun? I've been teaching 7th grade for 25 years, and I tell the kids every year, "You'll know when I'm not enjoying this job any more because I won't be here."

My friend told me the other day, "If fun is a drug, you're a hopeless addict."

Yup. And proud of it.

party (resized).jpgparty (resized).jpg

#175 5 years ago

You guys with pinball loving friends are so lucky! I live in a rural area and only one friend even gives a shit enough to play a game or two on occasion. My neighbors think pinball is stupid as if you just sit and chimp flip away for no reason. Idiots!

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

And more times than not, its a hobby not good for maintaining a relationship OR introducing to a new prospective mate. It definitely decreases your level on manliness.
    Shame.

My wife’s friend comes over often and observed the full restoration of my F-14 including new play field. She thinks I’m a smart MF now. Lol.

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from StylesBitchly:

My wife’s friend comes over often and observed the full restoration of my F-14 including new play field. She thinks I’m a smart MF now. Lol.

Its funny.. back when I was married (wife was a hoe and had affair) I would show my wife what I was fixing. Explain to her what I was soldering and how the part worked, etc. All I wanted was a "gee, that's cool you figured out how to fix that". Always just got a dumb stare.

Point is, your wife's friend is smart. My exwife couldn't recognize my ability to figure out how to fix something so foreign to me (I'm a lawyer).

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

Without reading every reply, I will add that I think it partly depends on whether somebody is pin poor. No different than car poor or house poor.
    If you're scrimping to get by and/or money is tight...I'd be questioning the wisdom of buying $6000 toys as well.

This.

#179 5 years ago

My friends know it’s my hobby, and most think it’s really cool. Everyone inevitably asks how much they cost. Most the time I think it’s just genuine curiosity – most people don’t have commercial arcade equipment in their homes, remember. I give them a range, I say they can go for anywhere between 500-10,000 for most games, and they do well to retain their value.

My in-laws, on the other hand, are a little more sanctimonious with their inquiries and comments. Those same people leave their kids behind to go to Cancun 2x a year, go out to eat constantly, or are just flat out bad with money. I was in a career that paid bonuses that allowed me to both plan for my future as well as splurge on machines. We don’t broadcast what we made. It’s just not who we are, but also I don’t want to be a point of contact for those dullards when they need a bailout. Well because of that, and their misunderstanding of my career, I’m quite certain they’re convinced that I’m a deadbeat husband that selfishly spends all of my wife’s earnings on pinball machines and other stupid toys. It bugs me some days, but I like to remember that it’s an ironclad strategy to insulate my finances from such people.

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Its funny.. back when I was married (wife was a hoe and had affair) I would show my wife what I was fixing. Explain to her what I was soldering and how the part worked, etc. All I wanted was a "gee, that's cool you figured out how to fix that". Always just got a dumb stare.
    Point is, your wife's friend is smart. My exwife couldn't recognize my ability to figure out how to fix something so foreign to me (I'm a lawyer).

I am sorry to hear you got no respect from her! The fact that you are a lawyer makes it even more impressive. This kind of work is outside your field. I am by profession a technician. Not a huge leap for me to work on pins. You are right about women who appreciate these things. They are the smarter ones. I know plenty of dumb C*#@'s that give the deer-in-the-headlight look about everything outside their limited world of small talk.
    Cheers!

#181 5 years ago

I think the moral of the story here is...
    People Suck!!!!

Well sometimes at least.

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from StylesBitchly:

I am sorry to hear you got no respect from her! The fact that you are a lawyer makes it even more impressive. This kind of work is outside your field. I am by profession a technician. Not a huge leap for me to work on pins. You are right about women who appreciate these things. They are the smarter ones. I know plenty of dumb C*#@'s that give the deer-in-the-headlight look about everything outside their limited world of small talk.
    Cheers!

Most women care as much about pinball machines or mechanical things like us men care about purses and other girly things so thats kind of understandable i think. The only thing that really matters is if they are supportive of your pinball hobby because they enjoy seeing something that makes you happy.

Women are definitely on a different planet than we are when it comes to things that make them happy and things that they do for fun but thats ok. If you happen to find one that loves pinball then consider yourself very lucky, that would be every pin heads dream but it usually isn't a reality. As far as the dumb part goes, i know just as many dumbass guys as i know dumbass women. This world is full of dumbasses, male and female alike.

#183 5 years ago

Do what makes your happy..... It's not up to anyone else to determine what makes your happy.

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Most women care as much about pinball machines or mechanical things like us men care about purses and other girly things so thats kind of understandable i think. The only thing that really matters is if they are supportive of your pinball hobby because they enjoy seeing something that makes you happy.
    Women are definitely on a different planet than we are when it comes to things that make them happy and things that they do for fun but thats ok. If you happen to find one that loves pinball then consider yourself very lucky, that would be every pin heads dream but it usually isn't a reality. As far as the dumb part goes, i know just as many dumbass guys as i know dumbass women. This world is full of dumbasses, male and female alike.

My wife loves pinball about as much as me but could careless about fixing them. It's great to have that, but enables me though too. I have to watch it as some future pins and rumored pins I have a golden ticket for.

Friends think we are weird, but once they start playing, they like our weirdness a lot.

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'm lucky, I get full support to spend stupid money on this stuff, my wife could care less to ever play a game on them (I wish she would!!) But, I don't spend money I don't have on them. She see that i'm happy as fuck working on them and occasionally playing them. She can go buy all the Kate Spade purses she wants, who am I try argue about that when I have 20K in pins in the basement

#186 5 years ago

What's also kind of funny is after some initial conversations with 3 distant friends from high school and our family new car salesman, they sheepishly "came out of the plunger lane" per say and said that they had pinball machines at home that they had inherited from parents and such and that the machines didn't work. I'd offer to buy them at a discount to fix up, but each declined (without discussing a price) and instead inquired on who they could hire to fix them and get them working again.

As far as in-laws, my 84 year old mother in law comes over every couple of months and plays WOZ for as long as she can remain standing (usually about a half hour or so). My niece in law used to play our first pin 25-30 years ago (she started at about 4 years old). I just recently went on a pinventure to Chicago to get her and her husband a second pin that they hauled home from Michigan to Florida. So … I guess extended family is on-board too. I'm happy for that too.

#187 5 years ago

I gave up caring what anyone thought a long time ago.

Anyone who adds nothing to my life or brings me down I just stop associating with. Want to win at life? start with that.

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

my 84 year old mother in law comes over every couple of months and plays WOZ for as long as she can remain standing (usually about a half hour or so).

This is awesome.

#189 5 years ago

LOL, ya … she just had hip replacement surgery last month and the first thing she said to me on the phone was that she hopes that the surgery will allow her to play pinball longer and can't wait to try. Cracked me up. Moments like that makes you feel good about this hobby.

#190 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

LOL, ya … she just had hip replacement surgery last month and the first thing she said to me on the phone was that she hopes that the surgery will allow her to play pinball longer and can't wait to try. Cracked me up. Moments like that makes you feel good about this hobby.

Great story !

#191 5 years ago

I like watching my old Mum and Dad play doubles. Mum still never accepts when its Dads turn. They are proud that I can afford a few pinball machines. So am I. I dont care if some people think Ive wasted my money. They dont know.

#192 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

My wife loves pinball about as much as me but could careless about fixing them. It's great to have that, but enables me though too. I have to watch it as some future pins and rumored pins I have a golden ticket for.

So awesome to have that! My wife actually has a wish list of games longer than mine at the moment. Fortunately our lists have overlap. But we also both have games the other could care less about. The diversity of games is such a wonderful part of this hobby that is really hard to convey.

Maybe it’s like this: Are all bord games the same? I mean once you have scrabble why would you ever need any others? Lol

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

It's the same look I get from people when they see my posters. Try telling someone you spent $60K on a piece of paper....

I've snorted 60K with a piece of paper, does that count? It was a long time ago

#194 5 years ago
    Quoted from sleazius:

I gave up caring what anyone thought a long time ago.
    Anyone who adds nothing to my life or brings me down I just stop associating with. Want to win at life? start with that.

If I could upvote 'this' more...I would. Words of wisdom for us all.

#195 5 years ago

I stopped a while ago. Yes the prices they found they felt because I could afford one I was obnoxious and a jerk. I wouldn't even tell them how much I paid because it changed their perceptions of me. The other guys that do hang out with me that I got into it they could care less. They just want t heir name on the score board.

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

I've snorted 60K with a piece of paper, does that count? It was a long time ago

Ya, better than losing it on tech stocks!

#197 5 years ago

Yep, most people don't understand. They'll drop huge coin on a watch.....how fun is that! Pinball is fun and we're only here a short time .....So play pinball and talk to your buddies like I do... Panzerfreak and Playnumber4 and Eric A......They love pinball and love talking about it and I'm good with that!

#198 5 years ago

#200 5 years ago

I'm done... giving a shit.

There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-done-/page/4?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.