Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 281 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by timab2000
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1185(1) (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    672F1E79-CFBE-4D5A-98DC-663BB7AE9222 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1539 (resized).PNG
    20180706_183200 (resized).jpg
    84c87fcbae625fb92a293a308ccdc6e5474f8fb4 (resized).jpg
    35D86605-B2EA-43A5-968D-D5DBDAD4A8F1 (resized).jpeg
    100_1981 (resized).JPG
    party (resized).jpg
    606648 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1532 (resized).PNG
    514qFL2mO4L._UX385_ (resized).jpg
    BarrgeAlley (resized).png
    Barrge (resized).jpg
    j house (resized).jpg
    4F6C939A-F9AD-44FA-A6FA-2B7CDA2F39EA (resized).jpeg

There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 5 years ago

I just tell poeple "thats my yaht in there". Yahts are stupid and expensive too.

#102 5 years ago

I think it's the friends you choose. I've never had anyone question the cost or the reason I have to have so many. Most of my friends are either video game, board game, or collectors. So they ALL understand. Even most of my family understands. Only one that doesn't is my grandma, but she's 101 (about to be 102).

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I just tell poeple "thats my yaht in there". Yahts are stupid and expensive too.

I wouldn't mind owning a yacht, it would be fun.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

I have a a sign above the gameroom that says "because it makes me happy..next question?" sums it up.

Can I say, “F@&k yea!” to that.

#105 5 years ago

well when people come to my house and see the bentley and the porsche on the driveway they dont ask the price of my pins.

#106 5 years ago

I know this is easier said than done, but who gives a $#!+ what other people think?

When people make backhanded comments that are unnecessary; they are either jealous, angry individuals, or just hate their own life. Their one goal is to ruin everyone else's fun. And when they try to, they look like asses doing it.

#107 5 years ago

Wonder what the guy that paid 13k for that Luci a few years ago tells his friends?
    They're probably just jealous of his cool hat.
    514qFL2mO4L._UX385_ (resized).jpg514qFL2mO4L._UX385_ (resized).jpg

#108 5 years ago

What do most "civilians" think a NIB pin costs? Coming from a point of zero knowledge, I think most people think these things only cost about a grand or less. They honestly don't have a clue. I'm used to people being condescending to my hobbies, I'm a Trekkie and collect Staunton Chess pieces/sets, but could care less.

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

Why tell them what you paid for the machines?

This exactly.

Tell them you paid 200, restored them for 600 more, and sold it for 8k. Those laughs behind your back suddenly change REAL fast.

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

well when people come to my house and see the bentley and the porsche on the driveway they dont ask the price of my pins.

Hmm. Surprised they're looking at the cars and not the house.

#111 5 years ago

When someone asks you a question that is none of their business. You aren't obligated to answer. Or say anything.

LTG : )

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

What do most "civilians" think a NIB pin costs? Coming from a point of zero knowledge, I think most people think these things only cost about a grand or less. They honestly don't have a clue.

This is me just a few years ago. I was guessing that a really good machine would set me back 2-3k, max. After all it's just wood, computer parts, wires, some mechanics, and molded plastic, right? I had no idea the amount of R&D put into these things.

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Hmm. Surprised they're looking at the cars and not the house.

its a trailer dude !

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

its a trailer dude !

Sorry, literally read your previous post.

#115 5 years ago

Nicest trailer in the park man, I've played his MM, AFM, BM66SLE and his BBB. Double the width double the fun baby.
    You oughtta see his 10 car gravel driveway.

#116 5 years ago

Maybe I'm wrong. Never knew someone who owned a Bentley and lived in a trailer.

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

You guys just inspired me to take a pic. My Arcade vs My Car.
    2009 Mazda 5, bought in 2012 for cash. Been driving it since.

Guess which one gives me more pleasure and is more fun.

Kind of an unfair comparison

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

I think the price question is just because most people didn't even know that you could / anyone does own the games in their home. They have no way of knowing even an approximate price range whereas almost everyone knows approximately what cars, boats, appliances, etc. cost. It is just natural curiosity in most cases in my experience.

I think you hit the nail on the head!! Imagine being young, growing up in the 80s watching shows like Silver Spoons, thinking only rich people can afford arcade games. Then you get older and still have that notion of unaffordability. It makes sense how people would be naturally curious and confused how normal people own arcade equipment in the home.

I guess I'm not as good at BS'ing people as some of you in this thread. It's hard for me to be asked point blank what a new game costs and not tell the truth when asked since it's so easy to lookup pricing for new games.

I usually explain that my MO is to buy project games to fix up and sell to fund my new game purchases. I've bought two new games over the past 4 years and for each I had to sell something else to get them. Once that sets it it makes sense to those that are asking how I can afford buying new games. My MO is changing though since it's hard to find project games I can fix up and make an actual profit on nowadays.

When talking about pricing with newbies I always make it a point to explain that their is a price range for games. You don't have to spend $8k to get a nice game. It all depends on what you are happy with and what you want out of your purchase.

#119 5 years ago

At least your problems are just friends. I have a very insecure family member who has a mini meltdown whenever she finds out I’ve brought home another game—or anything “cool” for that matter. The thing is, she always has to ask about them. I almost never bring it up.

Family BBQs and Thanksgiving are never quite complete without hearing something (spoken condescendingly) like:

“You spent THAT MUCH on your game(s)?! You know, I could get a new roof on my house for that much!”

“Oh my god Max, those games are worth more than my car!”

“Why don’t you sell them all and buy yourself a new car?!”

“Does your fiancé know about how much you spent on that game?” (Jokes on her, my fiancé was there to help me load it in the car)

It used to bother me, but lately, I’ve gone from defensive to offensive by tastefully twisting the knife a bit when she asks.

I drive a shitty 2002 Accord with nearly 200,000 miles on it that clanks and clunks down the road. I live within my means, and instead of car payments or a crazy mortgage, I like to splurge on pinball, kayaks, and the sunfish sailboat I got a few years back.

To each his own, but some people don’t get it.

#120 5 years ago

its tough. some non-pinheads will remain that way, some enjoy the hell out of it. had a neighbor with a few friends from their place over on the 4th play some pinball for a little bit. one person was super happy about it later... how they were happy to have got all the martians in martian multiball on afm. the others really didn't care much other than thanking me for getting to play them. at least one person really enjoyed it

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

At least your problems are just friends. I have a very insecure family member who has a mini meltdown whenever she finds out I’ve brought home another game—or anything “cool” for that matter. The thing is, she always has to ask about them. I almost never bring it up.
    Family BBQs and Thanksgiving are never quite complete without hearing something (spoken condescendingly) like:
    “You spent THAT MUCH on your game(s)?! You know, I could get a new roof on my house for that much!”
    “Oh my god Max, those games are worth more than my car!”
    “Why don’t you sell them all and buy yourself a new car?!”
    “Does your fiancé know about how much you spent on that game?” (Jokes on her, my fiancé was there to help me load it in the car)
    It used to bother me, but lately, I’ve gone from defensive to offensive by tastefully twisting the knife a bit when she asks.
    I drive a shitty 2002 Accord with nearly 200,000 miles on it that clanks and clunks down the road. I live within my means, and instead of car payments or a crazy mortgage, I like to splurge on pinball, kayaks, and the sunfish sailboat I got a few years back.
    To each his own, but some people don’t get it.

Concrete shoes...cyanide
    See this is why I can't sell my ACDC.

#122 5 years ago

Nothing I can say that hasn’t already been other than I sympathize.

What average people don’t get is that I’ve never bought a new car in my life, I do all of my own work on our house, “new” appliances are almost always acquired from others replacing perfectly good ones with brand new ones or if bought from the store done through months of watching clearance sections. Further no overtly expensive hobbies such as boats, fancy cars, etc.

I have heard the comments (and seen the looks) without talking about price and never comfortable with the question.

So yeah... it’s none of their business. I’m very happy that were currently buying a home where we will be able to keep the games out of sight of everyday guests.

#123 5 years ago

I can relate. I really love this hobby and meet some really great people and not so great. When people see my collection they dont get it. Or I have had people that think I am a showroom when I try to sell a specific title. Or people want me to fix some friend of a friends machine for free.
    The envy thing is probably the hardest thing for me to deal with. I dont get it. You work hard for something and people want to hate on you. Envy just isnt worth dealing with. You can offer up free play to all but someone is going to want to piss on ya. Hard to be a nice guy in this hobby.
    Still I find myself babling on an on about pinball any chance I get. I just try to keep on the down low these day about my collection and cost.

#124 5 years ago

It is probably pointless to talk about pinball to anyone who doesn't play. They don't and probably won't "get it", just like I never understood people who bought Beanie babies or who watch Game of Thrones. The mistake that you make is in caring about what anyone else thinks about your choices. You don't have to justify them to anyone. And the people who criticize you are often jealous of your freedom to choose.

There is great freedom and serenity in not caring what other people think of how you choose to live your life. You will also find that your choices are more respected when you take this approach.

#125 5 years ago

Although I really enjoy pinball, I don't usually bring it up as a topic of conversation. I used to, but the results were always disappointing at best.

Sometimes I wear shirts that are pinball related but that are more like puzzles for the uninitiated (old patent drawings for tilt bobs or schematic diagrams). When people ask about them, I let them guess a good long while, stringing them along with many hints before telling them what it is and then let it drop unless they show genuine curiosity.

I have also stopped going out of my way to share the collection with guests over the age of 12. I do dearly love showing kids how to play. They always have a blast! If adults go out to the workshop/gameroom it's because the kids are out there having a great time. More often than not, adults will only look. Few play more than one game, but there have been a few who liked it so much they sometimes come over mostly to play. That makes me happy. Those folks are the exceptions to the rule, though.

Once, someone I considered a good friend made a remark about how if he had extra money he wouldn't waste it on pinball machines. That stung, but I didn't say anything in response. I thought about it for months. When I finally saw him again, I simply and genuinely asked him if there was anything in his life that he did purely for fun - no ancillary health benefit, financial gain, moral motivation, social status, nothing...just for fun. He went quiet a short while and finally said, "that's a good question". He never did give me a real answer. Hopefully someday he understands the value of joy.

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

though.
    Once, someone I considered a good friend made a remark about how if he had extra money he wouldn't waste it on pinball machines. That stung, but I didn't say anything in response.

Ive actually had several people make smartass comments to me about how much money that i have spent on pinball machines and ask me why on earth do i need so many etc. They have no idea how well they hold their value and how they sometimes even go up in value, they think that they will be worth nothing in a few years.

It has bothered me a few times i wont lie, and i know that there's some people that talk behind my back also but you know what? I dont give a shit anymore because i go to work every effin day and i bust my ass and i just don't care anymore what people think, they can go to hell as far as im concerned. Its my money and im the one who works hard for it and works a very rough schedule and im done feeling guilty about it. Its just like a few people have mentioned previously, its nothing but jealousy on their part anyway. They just want to bring you down when they make comments like that because their life isn't as great as what they are trying to lead you to believe. Dont let them get inside your head and bring you down!

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from Evilelement:

Idk this hobby is great if you have good friends. My issue isnt the people who talk money behind my back , but mainly the collectors who scream they got this pin for so much , then a year later try and flip for thousands more.
    Or have an issue with a pin , tell someone else then try to sell it you as mint.
    Out of the 40+ reletionships ive made 99% are like that.
    MONEY is toxic in any hobby!!!

So true since I joined this hobby 2 years ago, this is majority of so called pinheads I've met.

Quoted from KloggMonkey:

It boils down to this, we are all spoiled. The pinball world is full of open, friendly, and understanding people.
    Most 'civilians' are self-centered, cell phone diddlers, without empathy and are unable to see the world from any viewpoint other than their own. I like to call them a-holes. Poor bastards, for most of them going out to eat is the only entertainment they know.
    My pinball friends are quickly becoming my only friends.

There are plenty of a-holes in this hobby too. All about perspective.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Only a couple people know what I paid.
    For the most part, I just lie.
    “Wow, that Batman 66 LE is awesome...how much?”
    “$1,200” - me

You paid 1,200 for a pinball machine! You must be out of your mind.

#129 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Learned years ago not to tell people how many games I have
    if they ask, I only say 10
    never talk about price

Must be a short dialogue since price is always the first thing non pinball players ask me about closely followed by how many machines have you got and do you have any currently for sale.

Rather than being cagey and defensive, I see every pinball related conversation with a middle aged male as a potential new hobby entrant and an expansion of the player base from someone whose last contact with a pinball machine was most likely in the mid 1990's.

I also bring up price whenever applicable particularly to let them know that the minimum entry point for a NIB down here is $8500. It makes that $4k restored Getaway so much more palatable in comparison.

I think some of the Aussies down here need to change their entrenched mindset to being more receptive to new people and those who may be interested in getting into the hobby but have ebay/distributor sticker stock or are reticent in having to go through some trial by ordeal via the local clique.

The existing userbase is that miniscule down here compared to the rest of the world the local scene can't really afford to keep it as a closed shop. Unless of course you actually enjoy paying overinflated prices and playing musical chairs pinball swaps with the same baker's dozen buyers year after year.

#130 5 years ago

I don't care about cars thus I don't want to hear about it from car heads, I don't want to hear about TV shows I don't follow or films I haven't seen, I don't golf or watch sports so theres another thing that I don't want to hear about, I don't even want to hear other people talking about it so with other pinheads yeah talk pinball but otherwise silence is gold. JMO

#131 5 years ago

If folks ask, I tell them price, how many pins I currently own AND how many I’ve owned over the years.

I have a very charming but in-your-face type of personality. No one usually snickers but if they do I can laugh with em as it’s only pinball.

I don’t take in the moment reactions seriously at all. Long term is what counts.

Example: my boss was always razzing on ‘being a Conehead’ owning pins. Meh. Years he would throw out crappy one liners trying to be funny. “Not even a good coffin but twice the price!” Type of shit.

Eventually he comes over with his brother for an unboxing party and had a blast. He never knew pins were so fun. Now his input is like “ Saw an Addams Family at a bowling alley. Bored my wife trying to play it. HA!” No one is linear man.

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Thanks Guys,
    I will say it's not friends that are saying this stuff. Usually happens at a BBq or a social event where we all dont know each other and we are all just making conversation. I guess I really should only blame myself . It's what I like it's what I'm into and have met great people doing it . So I like to talk about it .
    Lesson learned I guess.

My question is: Why do you give a rats ass what others say or think. The hobby isn’t for everyone. I get people ask me all the time. I just say I have about 20 to 30 grand in my collection. And it took about 20 years to get there.

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

My question is: Why do you give a rats ass what others say or think. The hobby isn’t for everyone. I get people ask me all the time. I just say I have about 20 to 30 grand in my collection. And it took about 20 years to get there.

I don't . It just got to me the other day . I dont say shit negtive about what other people like or do .
    I have learned a lesson .

#134 5 years ago

Actually I should say ...
    I am enthusiastic about talking pinball.
    Lesson learned

#135 5 years ago

i had a visitor almost faint when he saw my afmr le and he says wow thats expensive, it had to cost you at least 1200.00. i didnt want him to so i said yes, 1200 thats alot of money.

people have no clue really
    just as i have no clue of looking at a designer bag that is 5000 and knowing the price

i dont discuss prices. i change the subject when its brought up.

#136 5 years ago

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised at some of the posts in this topic but other than a couple of aggravated girlfriend/wives who are ready to go home at midnight and their husbands aren’t, ”l’m just gonna play one more game”, the overwhelming reaction to my game room is “this place is awesome”. It probably helps that I have classic 80’s arcade and early 70’s EM dale rifle/ baseball pitch and bat machines mixed in.

Sometimes the women are even more excited than the men they arrive with. One recent female guest practically had a orgasm when she entered the game room and enthusiastically said “I can't believe you have space invaders DLX and Galaga, I used to play them on the base my dad was stationed at in the armed forces when I was young! Her boyfriend practically had to physically remove her from my home.

Occasionally a visitor or trade person doing work in my home will ask what games cost. Usually it’s after they spot their favorite game they played years ago. I tell them machines are between $1-8000 and I’ve been collecting for almost 25 years. I finish by saying that some people have boats, some have muscle cars and others take expensive vacations or have beach/second homes. I personally prefer to have my game room.

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

I dont say shit negtive about what other people like or do

Well you should.
    I stop many conversations especially when they take place at my home when its about crap I don't care about. Remember nice guys finish last. and they also have to listen to some very boring shit

#138 5 years ago

Honestly apart from people that know me well I don't share this hobby or its costs much. People don't get it.

Luckily my gf is into pinball, how much more do I really need

#139 5 years ago

I know 99% of the people I talk to about pinball don't care. But I still do. Reason being that you are networking to get your name out there in the case that they or someone they know has one to either sell or service. All you have to is make it through being called a "pinball wizard" with out punching them in the face and your good. You never know what people have. Case and point I picked up my addams family a little over a year ago for $1900.

#140 5 years ago

Most people spend money on what they like, me included. I don't vacation out of town usually and spend money wisely. Don't let these morons play your games again. Tell 'em to buy thier own MFer. People do freak at the cost of pinball, yet have no problem dropping 30-40k on some POS new vehicle that won't be around in 10 years............people are F'ed in the head nowadays.

#141 5 years ago

This got me to thinking. People are people.

When talking to pinball people and asked about other hobbies I've had since pinball isn't my hobby. I get much of the same as mentioned in many of the previous posts about what else I like.

Oh well.

LTG : )

#142 5 years ago

My buddy gives me shit all the time for having expensive pinball machines. But he's also the guy who sunk probably 25K into his 91' Camaro and it's still worth the same amount it was from day one. Some hobbies are total money pits - but pinball doesn't have to be.

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jenk540i:

95% of people driving on the road will see me driving a four-door silver sedan. The other 5% who are car enthusiasts will pull up next to me, or approach me at a gas station or parking lot saying "wow what a great ride, what's it like?" I actually like the fact that only a small percentage of the population actually know what it is or what it's worth.

I get the same reaction from my ‘05 RAV4.

#144 5 years ago

My favorite is when someone says you need more than one? And I reply obviously your not a golfer. They look at me confused as I look back at them confused.

#145 5 years ago

I had a friends wife ask me if I would sell her my MB to her for the husbands birthday.

She said she has 1500 cash and she will go home now and get it if I can deliver today.

I looked her dead in the eye and said throw in you Honda Civic and we have a deal.

She laughed and said I was crazy.

#146 5 years ago

Everyone values different things: houses, travel, cars, boats, sports, hobbies, etc. And in each of these areas you can spend as much money as you can imagine on these items. Bottom line is that not everyone understands the value of things to one's well being, and enjoyment of life. For me, I never tell anyone how to spend their own money (I don't even think it in my head). They earned it, they spend it, who cares what I think (of course, when it comes to your own family and if you are putting luxuries before necessities, etc. then that's a different story). Should we all be charitable, of course. Is it up to someone else to tell me how I should be living my life? Only if I ask them to tell me their opinion. Are they jealous because they would love to be able to spend big bucks on things they like but aren't in a situation to do so? Most likely they are. Welcome to the real world where those who achieve are rewarded, and get to do things they want (I'll stop here as I'm bordering on a political rant).

Bottom line is that I think it is a good thing for people to have friends who share a diversity of opinion. However, if all they are going to do is criticize and talk behind your back then maybe it's time to find some new friends who don't judge, are happy for you in your success, and most of all don't tell you how they think you should spend your money.

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:I get the same reaction from my ‘05 RAV4.

Good vehicle!

#148 5 years ago

People never ask me what they cost...by the time they drive through my $45k electric security gate & up my $80k cobblestone driveway, then walk past my 2 Sicilian marble entry pillars at $55k each...they are exhausted!

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

People never ask me what they cost...by the time they drive through my $45k electric security gate & up my $80k cobblestone driveway, then walk past my 2 Sicilian marble entry pillars at $55k each...they are exhausted!

True or not, funny either way (and good for you!)

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Must be a short dialogue since price is always the first thing non pinball players ask me about closely followed by how many machines have you got and do you have any currently for sale.
    Rather than being cagey and defensive, I see every pinball related conversation with a middle aged male as a potential new hobby entrant and an expansion of the player base from someone whose last contact with a pinball machine was most likely in the mid 1990's.
    I also bring up price whenever applicable particularly to let them know that the minimum entry point for a NIB down here is $8500. It makes that $4k restored Getaway so much more palatable in comparison.
    I think some of the Aussies down here need to change their entrenched mindset to being more receptive to new people and those who may be interested in getting into the hobby but have ebay/distributor sticker stock or are reticent in having to go through some trial by ordeal via the local clique.
    The existing userbase is that miniscule down here compared to the rest of the world the local scene can't really afford to keep it as a closed shop. Unless of course you actually enjoy paying overinflated prices and playing musical chairs pinball swaps with the same baker's dozen buyers year after year.

you win
    im sick of being trolled by you
    i have bigger things to deal with, than you always talking down at me

im done with Pinside

There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-done-/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.