(Topic ID: 224488)

I'm building a time machine and going back to 1996!

By GAP

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180901_112903 (resized).jpg
    20180901_112335 (resized).jpg
    20180901_110533 (resized).jpg
    20180901_110841 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

I'm building a time machine and going back to 1996. Going through some old replay magazines today on this rainey's day in Chicago, just drooling over the prices

20180901_110533 (resized).jpg20180901_110533 (resized).jpg20180901_110841 (resized).jpg20180901_110841 (resized).jpg
    #2 5 years ago

I would buy a couple dozen Addams Family pins for 1650 hit the button on the time machine, sell them and buy a beautiful new house.

#5 5 years ago

Hindsight is 20/20. I'm so depressed now. Had I known then what was going to happen I would have begged, borrowed and scraped together every dime I could to buy pins.

#6 5 years ago

WCS was newer off route, and the home market was 1/10th of what it is today. Operator prices was what mattered.....

#7 5 years ago

And just to think those are distributor prices. Imagine what the private used market was.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from GAP:

I'm building a time machine and going back to 1996. Going through some old replay magazines today on this rainey's day in Chicago, just drooling over the prices
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Does this mean you’re thinking of having a sale where you roll prices back to 1996 levels?

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Does this mean you’re thinking of having a sale where you roll prices back to 1996 levels?

Holy fuck, if that happened, I'd buy everything I wanted and still have money in the bank.

#10 5 years ago

Look at those arcade prices! Good thing they all held thier value like the pins did.

Based on this my Ridge Racer is worth a cool 100+k; eBay here I come!

#11 5 years ago

Now I'm depressed. Wish I would have been in the market back then. I would really like $1295 Creature now.

#12 5 years ago

If I had a time machine, I would of rather gone back to 2010 and buy $5,000 worth of Bitcoin, than sell it at the peak early this year.

5k would of turned into just shy of 2 BILLION dollars.

Would of been completely untraceable.

#13 5 years ago

I'm so stupid.

#14 5 years ago

I probably would've bought Big Hurt, so I'd still be screwed.

#15 5 years ago

Take me with you! lol

#17 5 years ago

1200 tz
    1000 sw
    1200 sttng
    lol

couple of the prices are still not that good, which is funny.

but yeah the market was way different
    as for value

$1.00 in 1996 had the same buying power as $1.61 in 2018

yeah those were screaming deals.

I bet most sat for a lonnnnng time back then. no one was running out getting them. maybe a desperate operator lol

#18 5 years ago

Even adjusting all those prices for inflation, those things are still inexpensive!

#19 5 years ago

Crazy how Jurassic Park was with more than twilight zone. Lots of crazy prices back then.

#20 5 years ago

I bought my SS Used in 05 for $2,995 from a dealer here in Colorado. Those prices must have stayed pretty much the same til the low 2000s.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

I bought my SS Used in 05 for $2,995 from a dealer here in Colorado. Those prices must have stayed pretty much the same til the low 2000s.

I've been in the hobby since year 2000. Since then prices were slowly creeping up until about 2009. Then they went down for about a year. From 2010 to 2013 they started creeping higher faster. Then around end of 2013 started going crazy.

Anyone see this happen?

#22 5 years ago

Here is a pic of Gary

20180901_112335 (resized).jpg20180901_112335 (resized).jpg
    #23 5 years ago
    Quoted from GAP:

Here is a pic of Gary
    [quoted image]

And Michael Stroll, Tom Siemieniec...

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

And Nancy Singh

#25 5 years ago

Melody Sutkowi looks kinda cute in one of those big hair old school high school sort of ways. I miss those days.

#26 5 years ago

class of 96 kix ass! high school senior babes, then freshman college girls!

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from catalina:

If I had a time machine, I would of rather gone back to 2010 and buy $5,000 worth of Bitcoin, than sell it at the peak early this year.
    5k would of turned into just shy of 2 BILLION dollars.
    Would of been completely untraceable.

Not to get off topic but

So if you had 2 billion in bitcoin you’d have a hard time funneling that into an exchange and finding buyers. And saying it’s untraceable isn’t true either, only if you want to keep it as bitcoin; once you bring any of it to an exchange to cash out / sell, to get USD, you gotta provide real details.

#28 5 years ago

This post makes me think of a movie I watched on Hulu a month or so ago
    How To Build A Time Machine I think is the title.
    I really could identify with the one guy that was a prop builder in Peewees playhouse.
    It was his OCD manifesting itself in creating an exact replica of the time machine in the HG wells movie and it just went off the rails to insanity.

#29 5 years ago

Now I know where the ebay pinball guy out east got his idea for putting a beautiful girl next to a pin to help it sell.

20180901_112903 (resized).jpg20180901_112903 (resized).jpg
    #30 5 years ago

Screw the pinballs, if you're going back in time pick me up some Apple and Amazon stock. I'll buy the HEP versions of these pin when you return.

#31 5 years ago

And count me in on some early AOL....just had to know when to cash out.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Melody Sutkowi looks kinda cute in one of those big hair old school high school sort of ways. I miss those days.

True story, a former co-worker of mine's wife went to school with her. They are from the Saginaw/Bay City area.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Quoted from MrBally:

And Nancy Singh

And Bernie Stolar. (who helped develop the original Sony PlayStation, then COO of Sega of America and helped oversee the launch of the Dreamcast, then on to be the President of Mattel toys) Heck of career.... not sure where he is now or if he finally retired!

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

I probably would've bought Big Hurt, so I'd still be screwed.

Lol!!! I was thinking the same thing.

#35 5 years ago

Who's Denise Stern and is she family of Gary ??

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

Who's Denise Stern and is she family of Gary ??

No relation

#37 5 years ago

I'd rather go back to 1969 instead.

#38 5 years ago

Where were you in '69?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-building-a-time-machine-and-going-back-to-1996?hl=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.