(Topic ID: 240397)

I'm at a loss on what to do next with this Freddy opto (PLEASE help)

By Guywiththegun

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190413_181622 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I noticed a while ago the boiler room opto kept flaking out (constantly being triggered with Freddy always laughing at me). Then I noticed the left lane opto (that triggers jackpots) never worked. Now Freddy's keeps trying to spit out balls that aren't there. I noticed the Left Lane opto is always 'on' in switch test, but never registers in Switch Edges test. I assumed that was the problem. I tried re-soldering the opto boards (receiver and transmitter), and nothing changes. I ordered replacements receiver and transmitter boards and tried that . . Nothing changes.

A light is on in the main opto board. I assume this means the switch is always triggered? Could my machine be going nuts because of this one opto?

I'm not sure where to go from here.

#2 5 years ago

The optos are part of your switch matrix. Any issues at another switch causing this ? Didoe on backwards, wired wrong, short to switch wiring ?

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with any other switch in either switch test. What's weird is, if the opto was being registered as always "on", wouldn't it be showing in Switch Edges test? It doesn't.

#4 5 years ago

Anyone have any insight?

#5 5 years ago

Alright well I switched the opto receiver/transmitter connector to another on the board (boiler room trough) and it works in Switch Edges mode. So its not the opto transmitter/receiver. What the . .

#6 5 years ago

are you sure it’s not a smart switch issue? System 3’s run smart switches that cannot be adjusted, and when they go bad they fire at random or as you described above. You will need to replace the switches in question, sounds like at the very least your lane switch is giving problems.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

are you sure it’s not a smart switch issue? System 3’s run smart switches that cannot be adjusted, and when they go bad they fire at random or as you described above. You will need to replace the switches in question, sounds like at the very least your lane switch is giving problems.

How could I test this? If a smart switch was firing, wouldn't I see it in Switch tests?

#8 5 years ago

Well I should have looked closer at the opto board. Right next to the lit up LED I have a broken connection

20190413_181622 (resized).jpg20190413_181622 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,400 (OBO)
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-at-a-loss-on-what-to-do-next-with-this-freddy-opto-please-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.