(Topic ID: 251832)

I'm all in for Pinball Expo 2019

By ChiTownPinHead

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

InShot_20191018_013855755 (resized).jpg
    superbier (resized).jpg
    Superdawg.pdf (PDF preview)
    beavis (resized).jpg
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Just jumped on a pair of the "Advanced Admission Package" tickets so I'm all in! Might be camping in my van down by the river but at least I'll get to attend all the seminars and hopefully meet some great people. Anyone else excited?

Tim

#2 4 years ago

I'll be there, but not excited, to be honest.

#3 4 years ago

Hell fucking yes!!!
    Seminars fucking rule!!!!

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I won’t be there this year (wedding that weekend) but hope for next year

#5 4 years ago

Chomping at the bit! I go every year and it's a great time.

#6 4 years ago

I will be there. Funny thing is when I first started attending I never realized the Seminars were extra. I would just walk in and enjoy.

#7 4 years ago

I wont be there barring a re-scheduling of a family event. Everyone have fun and enjoy the show.

#8 4 years ago

I need to get a tshirt made, "Trading Vintage Kenner for Pins!"

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

I will be there. Funny thing is when I first started attending I never realized the Seminars were extra. I would just walk in and enjoy.

That is funny! Sounds like something I'd do.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

The seminars are extra??

j.k......i've been walking into them for years too though.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

No? At least for the chance to win a machine?

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from ChiTownPinHead:

No? At least for the chance to win a machine?

No, I won't get excited about tossing my name into a bucket with 5000 other names.

It'll be nice to tip a few with some friends that I only see a couple times a year, but as for the show I think there were more vendor tables than games last year. Probably spent 3 hours on the floor all weekend last year.

#13 4 years ago

My first one. Can’t wait to see some awesome home brews and play in Trents awesome tournament.

#14 4 years ago

I’m tempted to go again but if I’m being honest this for me has always been a disappointment.

I’ve been twice. Seems like no one brings games and everyone is shutting their games off early if they sell.

Much better shows to attend.

PinAGOGo has always been my favorite

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from V8haha:

I’m tempted to go again but if I’m being honest this for me has always been a disappointment.
    I’ve been twice. Seems like no one brings games and everyone is shutting their games off early if they sell.
    Much better shows to attend.

If you want to go to a show that has the best assortment of pins, Expo is no longer the show for you (TPF wins that category by a mile) and hasn’t been for years. Expo is still a top draw for the Stern tour, number of industry insiders and the seminar content (maybe the tournaments, but I don’t follow them much).

A big draw this year will be Stern’s Elvira game and the Saturday night panel with the design team (including Cassandra). That event alone tipped me from maybe to absolutely. And Jersey Jack’s presentation is always popular. If you have to pick one day to go, it’s Saturday.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

If you want to go to a show that has the best assortment of pins, Expo is no longer the show for you (TPF wins that category by a mile) and hasn’t been for years. Expo is still a top draw for the Stern tour, number of industry insiders and the seminar content (maybe the tournaments, but I don’t follow them much).
    A big draw this year will be Stern’s Elvira game and the Saturday night panel with the design team (including Cassandra). That event alone tipped me from maybe to absolutely. And Jersey Jack’s presentation is always popular. If you have to pick one day to go, it’s Saturday.

Appreciate the insight. Thank you!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

The vendor hall had a large selection of games last year, I thought it was better than the free play room. Lots of newer games, though. Cgc, jjp, ap and stern all had their games on display.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

The vendor hall had a large selection of games last year, I thought it was better than the free play room. Lots of newer games, though. Cgc, jjp, ap and stern all had their games on display.

Sure. But you can see and play new games at your distributor without going to a show. I like to go to shows to see what I usually don’t or can’t. I do appreciate the work vendors do to support the shows. Always thought it was a massive amount of work and sacrifice to sell at a show.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

And while not everyone is into arcade games, Doc brought a ton of great games from Galloping Ghost last year and will again this year. It is great to see and play some of the rare games in person, especially those you might not see otherwise like Beavis & Butt-Head.

beavis (resized).jpgbeavis (resized).jpg
    #20 4 years ago

Be sure to come see FEUD WITHOUT THE FAMILY at 7pm Friday. Dwight and I will be hosting a twist on the classic game show with prizes!

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Agree - there wasn't many games in the free play room that were made within the last 20 years. Some of those were pulled into the vendor hall for various things (like the PinStadium booth). It's great for the vendor hall though.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from V8haha:

Seems like no one brings games

They are claiming 500 games this year.

Looks like Stern and CGC will have a bunch. AP and JJP too. Some distributors are already planning show specials on games.

LTG : )

#23 4 years ago

I’m coming! Never been to a pinball show before-

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Agree - there wasn't many games in the free play room that were made within the last 20 years. Some of those were pulled into the vendor hall for various things (like the PinStadium booth). It's great for the vendor hall though.

Shucks, I was looking at bringing Royal Flush or Spanish Eyes . Stupid EMs.
    Come to think of it though, I only have 1 pin from the last 20 years and Deadpool stays at home.

#25 4 years ago

It will be my first Expo and I was born in Chicago. I hope to meet a bunch of Pinside Pinheads there. I will pin up my handle.

#26 4 years ago

I'll be there. Helping out at CGC and JJP.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from CoreyStup:

Be sure to come see FEUD WITHOUT THE FAMILY at 7pm Friday. Dwight and I will be hosting a twist on the classic game show with prizes!

Pacak vs. Berk would convince me to maybe attend.

#28 4 years ago

Pulling out the 9 year out of school and heading up. She’s very excited. Her brothers went a few years ago and had a great time. I haven’t paid attention, do they still have a kids competition?

#29 4 years ago

what actual town is this in? gotta book a room somewhere close since I imagine hotel is already full.

#30 4 years ago

Hotel still has rooms. When Mike was involved the room block was sold out in August.

BERK is killing the show.

#31 4 years ago

It is definitely not getting the promotion or push this year as it has in past years- even compared to last year. It is not a strong as show as it once was, which is sad as it used to be *the* show...

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

what actual town is this in?

Wheeling, IL

pinballexpo.com

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Hotel still has rooms. When Mike was involved the room block was sold out in August.
    BERK is killing the show.

How so? The hotel is expensive compared to other local options. We are staying off site for a few hundred less. I'd guess maybe others are too.

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

It is definitely not getting the promotion or push this year as it has in past years- even compared to last year. It is not a strong as show as it once was, which is sad as it used to be *the* show...

What kind of promotion did it get last year that it's not this year? Last year was hugely successful from our experience.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

How so? The hotel is expensive compared to other local options. We are staying off site for a few hundred less. I'd guess maybe others are too.

BERK won't guarantee a minimum amount of revenue for Food & Beverage which included the banquet. So the room rate is now $30-40 higher than the past few years.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

What kind of promotion did it get last year that it's not this year? Last year was hugely successful from our experience.

There was a lot more talk in threads and push here and on social media in the past. It had a lot more presence from the organizers and those involved. There has been very little of that this year- heck the main 2019 Expo thread this year had to be started by someone other than an organizer. Its just lacking they hype.

Yes cheaper hotels in area for a lot less. One year when I was on a tight budget, I ended up booking a room from like Travelocity or Expedia, or one of those sites. I used the Japanese (.jp) site and it was like $25 a night less than the American version of the site for the same hotel.

Yes I book at the Westin, it just makes it easier to go there during down time or meeting friends, or storing purchases...

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

BERK won't guarantee a minimum amount of revenue for Food & Beverage which included the banquet. So the room rate is now $30-40 higher than the past few years.

It was expensive last year so we stayed off site. You pay to stay there for convenience I guess. I don't know the facts behind show details and arrangements with hotel, but Rob has been nothing but accommodative toward us as a vendor.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I must say I miss the banquet...

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Yes I book at the Westin, it just makes it easier to go there during down time or meeting friends, or storing purchases...

That's why we stay there. With vendor hall hours and seminars that don't interest us, there is some down time that we can recharge. It was better in previous years with just walking to restaurants across the parking lot, but with Twin Peaks closed, we may have to venture out and about. Before it was good to just park it Thursday evening and take everything in and maximize time there until Saturday evening.

#39 4 years ago

What’s the restaurant situation near the Westin for those without a car? What’s in reasonable walking distance other then the Italian restaurant in the hotel?

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

What’s the restaurant situation near the Westin for those without a car? What’s in reasonable walking distance other then the Italian restaurant in the hotel?

Cooper's Hawk Winery Restaurant just across the parking lot is very good. Also there is a place called Spears Chicago in the same strip on the other side of the parking lot as Dunkin Donuts, have not had a chance to try it. I think there are a half dozen options within a 5-10 min walk.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Cooper’s Hawk is great- if you’re sitting in for seminars you can pre-order food online and that way when we break for lunch your food is ready and you don’t have to wait in line

#42 4 years ago

Honestly thanks to grub hub, ubereats and eatstreet any restaurant can be brought to you.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I’m coming! Never been to a pinball show before-

Hey Coz, I’ll see you there. I’ll be the middle aged bald guy. Ya can’t miss me!

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

If you are up for walking just over a mile there is Superdawg, which I'll pitch as they are giving 20% of sales back to Project Pinball using a flyer. For quick and cheap there is a Subway across the parking lot as well as the options others have mentioned.

#45 4 years ago

Mugs chosen and artwork finalized. Will be ordered tomorrow.

Expo here I come.

#46 4 years ago

I’m hoping I can get one of the LTG mugs this year!

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from Orko:

I’m hoping I can get one of the LTG mugs this year!

Last years mug is my "go to". I can't wait to see this year's.

#48 4 years ago

I am super excited!

Expo had been on its way to complete death and all because of 1 person.

It appears revitalized, some big people in pinball are behind it and helping out now, and it appears this may be the year for it to rise out of the ashes.
    Looking forward to this year to see what happens.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It appears revitalized, some big people in pinball are behind it and helping out now, and it appears this may be the year for it to rise out of the ashes.

You’d never know that from reading anything on Pinside or anywhere else I can find. I think “rise out of the ashes” is a bit extreme - it wasn’t that dead yet - but Expo has a long way to go to get back to its glory days. If Expo was anywhere but Chicago it would have died years ago (and not just because of Mike).

Pretty much the only reason I’m going to Expo this year is because of the Stern tour (haven’t seen the new building), Elvira’s House of Horrors, Cassandra, the Stern and JJP sessions and some of the people I know will be there. I hope to be pleasantly surprised but I have fairly low expectations. Maybe Expo can return to being the “must do” show it once was but that’s a tall order these days when there are now other shows that are less expensive, more convenient and offer more for collectors.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

yup with their "special code" they give us, its $150 and is sold out now. expedia has the overflow hotel at $93 which was also $150 on that link.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.