Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mkecasey
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1367109527_preview_umwVVNx.gif
    442AD0A9-7042-4A16-9AC5-B8656010170B (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 8.32.44 PM (resized).png
    F633D782-16B0-4429-8083-EEFC2A5BE920 (resized).jpeg
    32CC703E-A40F-42EE-8DCB-2107EF4CCA46 (resized).jpeg
    There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I just got a letter from my last employer. At first I thought,what the hell do they want,I've been retired for six years?It turns out that due to the IRS issuing a final regulation to the rules in the "Pension Protection Act" they have to pay me interest on my Annuity account.They're required to mirror the 30-year treasury rate,on a retroactive basis.
    What this means for me? I'll be getting a check for 16,517.83 I remember my mother telling me when I was a kid,that you should treat yourself,when you come into found money. I think she even said it was bad luck,not too.
    I've had my eye on a loaded Metallica (Pro) LED,that's HUO,and the guy is only 30 minutes from me.Hopefully,it's still available when I buy my new house. ??:I'm in the process of getting my house ready to sell,and I don't have the room now to pick up this machine. The realtor wasn't too happy when I told her my "Dialed In", has to stay in my dining room,because I have nowhere else to put it. I think she'd have a stroke,if I added another pinball machine to my dining room!
    I'd also like to pick up a "Super Chexx Pro"bubble hockey table also. Well that's my plan,and I just had to tell someone!
    P.S
    I was planning on buying the Metallica and the bubble hockey anyway,but now it seems like destiny is telling me that I have too !

#2 4 years ago

NOICE.

#3 4 years ago

Make sure you treat yourself to something with that windfall! I will store your game for free if you decide to buy soon, we are not too far from you in NE PA. Brian
    (Not kidding on the free storage, we have room available)

#4 4 years ago

I thought for sure that this topic was sarcastic. Who’d have thought? Nice score!

#5 4 years ago

Sweet not often the IRS getting in touch with you turns out to be fantastic.

#6 4 years ago

you should save it for retirement

awesome hope you can get that metalica

#7 4 years ago

Nice! I love Free Money!

#8 4 years ago

I already told my wife my plans,so she doesn't start dreaming of new furniture.
    I do intend to let her splurge on something ,as long as it's something for my game room,j/k.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I already told my wife my plans,so she doesn't start dreaming of new furniture.
    I do intend to let her splurge on something ,as long as it's something for my game room,j/k.

Smart man! Nip that in the bud right away Over here the furniture would be being delivered before the check even arrived. AND I would be finding out about it for the first time when the delivery guys are at my door

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I just got a letter from my last employer. At first I thought,what the hell do they want,I've been retired for six years?It turns out that due to the IRS issuing a final regulation to the rules in the "Pension Protection Act" they have to pay me interest on my Annuity account.They're required to mirror the 30-year treasury rate,on a retroactive basis.
    What this means for me? I'll be getting a check for 16,517.83 I remember my mother telling me when I was a kid,that you should treat yourself,when you come into found money. I think she even said it was bad luck,not too.
    I've had my eye on a loaded Metallica (Pro) LED,that's HUO,and the guy is only 30 minutes from me.Hopefully,it's still available when I buy my new house. ??:I'm in the process of getting my house ready to sell,and I don't have the room now to pick up this machine. The realtor wasn't too happy when I told her my "Dialed In", has to stay in my dining room,because I have nowhere else to put it. I think she'd have a stroke,if I added another pinball machine to my dining room!
    I'd also like to pick up a "Super Chexx Pro"bubble hockey table also. Well that's my plan,and I just had to tell someone!
    P.S
    I was planning on buying the Metallica and the bubble hockey anyway,but now it seems like destiny is telling me that I have too !

Have you considered Jurassic Park?

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

Have you considered Jurassic Park?

I haven't played one yet,but first I need to get a Metallica. If I get another game,I won't be able to share the wealth with my wife.
    She'd probably understand

#12 4 years ago

Nice! I think Colson just raised his asking price.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gritty:

I'm not getting my hopes up,that he'll still have the game when I'm ready. But if he does, that'll be nice!

#14 4 years ago

Before you spend it all, make sure you don't have to pay any taxes...

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Before you spend it all, make sure you don't have to pay any taxes...

I will have to pay taxes,just like I do when I make a withdrawal from my IRA. I always leave 15% of the amount I withdraw,in my account,so that the taxes are prepaid, that way, I don't have to come up with the money April 15. But thanks for the heads up.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

P.S

How is this again? I retired in 2014. Is there any chance I could be looking for a nice shot like this?

#17 4 years ago

I don’t love the IRS.

They are like a bunch of prostitues.
    I pay them money every year to get fucked.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How is this again? I retired in 2014. Is there any chance I could be looking for a nice shot like this?

Did your employer pay into an annuity for your retirement?

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Did your employer pay into an annuity for your retirement?

If by annuity you mean a defined pension benefit plan, then yes. My employer paid into a defined pension plan. A check comes in the mail every month

#20 4 years ago

Annuities and pension plans are different.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

P.S

Congrats!! I see 2 NIB pins in your future...

#22 4 years ago

Not a big fan...

But if you make they will take it.

Always burns my ass to send these out..

F633D782-16B0-4429-8083-EEFC2A5BE920 (resized).jpegF633D782-16B0-4429-8083-EEFC2A5BE920 (resized).jpeg
    #23 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I love the IRS !

I love the IRS (independent rear suspension) in my '01 Mustang SVT Cobra and my '13 Camaro ZL1.

I'm not so fond of the other IRS.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from frankmac:

Not a big fan...
    Always burns my ass to send these out..[quoted image]

You are paying more in taxes with that check than I have ever made in one year.

I apologize but it is hard to gather much sympathy when what you have left over is more than I make.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from frankmac:

Not a big fan...

Is this a look at me post?

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I apologize but it is hard to gather much sympathy when what you have left over is more than I make.

I almost down voted you but thought better of it. I understand where you are coming from but we should not judge frankmac or anybody else who is doing well and is paying high taxes. Taxes take a big chunk out of everybody and we all feel that bite.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

It is also possible to have a one time event happen that launches you to a much higher tax bracket for that year. For example, from an IPO that happened this year (so all my stock being paid at once instead of over multiple years) my federal income tax is going to be higher than my salary. If someone saw the check I am writing to the IRS next year and assumed that every year I pay that much in taxes they would assume I have millions of dollars lying around, but I don't have near that much money. You can have similar situations happen from lump sum settlements happening.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

This one is..

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from frankmac:

Not a big fan...

You need to find more tax deductions.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

P.S

Bubble Hockey is a nice companion to pinball. Only negative is you definitely need two players

32CC703E-A40F-42EE-8DCB-2107EF4CCA46 (resized).jpeg32CC703E-A40F-42EE-8DCB-2107EF4CCA46 (resized).jpeg
    #31 4 years ago
    Quoted from mkk629:

Bubble Hockey is a nice companion to pinball. Only negative is you definitely need two players[quoted image]

I do have mixed feelings about getting a bubble hockey game. The only time I'd play is when my son in law came over.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

It's a life lesson. When hiding personal info, 1 coat with an opaque color is better than 2 coats with semi-transparent colors.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Congrats!! I see 2 NIB pins in your future...

Not so sure about two NIB games. I'm going to give the HUO option a try. My thinking is, hopefully,most of the bugs and dialing in/tweaking of the game will be done by the last owner.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I do have mixed feelings about getting a bubble hockey game. The only time I'd play is when my son in law came over.

There should be a lot of Flyer fans near you that would come over to play.

#35 4 years ago

Much better, but you've now exposed data in the second image that wasn't visible in the first. You just have to tweak the image to see it. And now there are 2 sources to extrapolate from.

I'd just delete the pic.

Guys, even if you can obviously afford Lifelock, don't post pics of your checks on the internet.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from mkk629:

There should be a lot of Flyer fans near you that would come over to play.

My niece and nephew enjoy playing my table version,when I bring it to family picnics,so I got that goin for me.

#37 4 years ago

Don't spend it yet, wait to see if they tax that new found money, and if so at what rate - the normal 30% income tax rate or the 50% supplemental income rate lol.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gritty:

If I can't get his machine,I'm thinking about a Metallica LE/Premium. I played one at the 2018 Allentown Pinfest,and I really liked it! Hopefully,I can find one within driving distance.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I almost down voted you but thought better of it. I understand where you are coming from but we should not judge frankmac or anybody else who is doing well and is paying high taxes. Taxes take a big chunk out of everybody and we all feel that bite.

I'm not judging the man for doing well. And we all feel the tax bite. What I am looking at is a check made out to the IRS for income. We have 7 income tax brackets at the federal level. The brackets range from a low of 10% up to $9700.00 on up to a high of 37% for an income range of $510,000.00.

The 35% tax bracket is the only one that works in this situation. I see a check made for income for $98,000.00. Run the numbers

$46.000 + 35%*(X- $204,100) = $98.000. Solve for X. X =354,000. $46,000 + 35% * ( 354,000 -204,000) = $98,000

$46,000 + 35%* 150,000 = $98,000

$46,000 + 52,000 = $98,000

To have a total federal income tax of $98,000 means the total in come was $354,000. So, $350,000 - $98,000= $252,000 income.

That's $252,000 to live on and play with after you pay your taxes of $98,000.00

Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 8.32.44 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-11 at 8.32.44 PM (resized).png

Maybe $252,000 is not very much where the OP lives (which he does not reveal) but where I live, $252,000.00 in my pocket would last long time. A REAL LONG TIME. I could get a different house with more room and add some pins. Maybe even buy a new car. I could even afford to give some to a charitable organization.

But someone coming on and raising a stink because he only has enough money leftover to buy 4 new mid-engine Corvettes instead of 5 is my problem.

As I said to the OP, he does not get my sympathy. I'm glad he is making a lot of money. But I don't care that he had to "suffer" the standard percentage tax bite.

The ones who I do feel sorry for are those who make $9700.00 and have to pay 10% of that and is left with $8700.00 to live on for a year.

#40 4 years ago

My accountant tells me every year "the good thing about your tax bill is that you made enough money this year to cover it".
    Still doesn't make me feel better about cutting a check every year.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm not judging the man for doing well. And we all feel the tax bite. What I am looking at is a check made out to the IRS for income. We have 7 income tax brackets at the federal level. The brackets range from a low of 10% up to $9700.00 on up to a high of 37% for an income range of $510,000.00.
    The 35% tax bracket is the only one that works in this situation. I see a check made for income for $98,000.00. Run the numbers
    $46.000 + 35%*(X- $204,100) = $98.000. Solve for X. X =354,000. $46,000 + 35% * ( 354,000 -204,000) = $98,000
    $46,000 + 35%* 150,000 = $98,000
    $46,000 + 52,000 = $98,000
    To have a total federal income tax of $98,000 means the total in come was $354,000. So, $350,000 - $98,000= $252,000 income.
    That's $252,000 to live on and play with after you pay your taxes of $98,000.00
    [quoted image]
    Maybe $252,000 is not very much where the OP lives (which he does not reveal) but where I live, $252,000.00 in my pocket would last long time. A REAL LONG TIME. I could get a different house with more room and add some pins. Maybe even buy a new car. I could even afford to give some to a charitable organization.
    But someone coming on and raising a stink because he only has enough money leftover to buy 4 new mid-engine Corvettes instead of 5 is my problem.
    As I said to the OP, he does not get my sympathy. I'm glad he is making a lot of money. But I don't care that he had to "suffer" the standard percentage tax bite.
    The ones who I do feel sorry for are those who make $9700.00 and have to pay 10% of that and is left with $8700.00 to live on for a year.

You make some assumptions, you don’t know if this it the total tax bill or additional amount owed. Or a quarterly or annual payment.

#42 4 years ago

You spent way too much time trying to figure out somebody’s income and making assumptions for something that doesn’t even matter, He could be paying taxes on a small business and you would have no idea what his profit is. Or, he could be rolling in it and this is a quarterly tax payment. At the end of the day, it only matters to Frank.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from frankmac:

Not a big fan...

I dont care how much you make, that is painful haha.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I dont think they are looking for sympathy. I do think we need to stop vilifying success in this country though. I am far from rich, but in comparison to many, many other places in this world I am much better off.

On another note, I clicked this thread thinking it was potentially the worst idea for a pinball theme of all time, lol. Thats awesome to see they are taking care of you! Enjoy!

#45 4 years ago

442AD0A9-7042-4A16-9AC5-B8656010170B (resized).jpeg442AD0A9-7042-4A16-9AC5-B8656010170B (resized).jpeg

#46 4 years ago

I’m divided in my opinion. Hate to pay so much in taxes but am fortunate to have a good income that affords me to pay that money.

I’m just mad when the government wastes taxpayers money.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

You make some assumptions, you don’t know if this it the total tax bill or additional amount owed. Or a quarterly or annual payment.

You’re also missing a much bigger assumption. I’m self employed and owner of a single member LLC. Which means my company is taxed as an individual. I write checks bigger than that sometimes to the IRS, but I’m paying taxes for me and 5-6 employees on a quarterly basis (I have to submit the taxes that are withdrawn from their paychecks). Each individuals income is modest (enough to buy some NIB pins once in a while), but it all adds up to contribute to the IRS. I figure we’re all contributing to the economy and helping fund the nation (a whole different topic)... and keeping people working is probably a good thing.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

Quoted from DBLM:

You spent way too much time trying to figure out somebody’s income and making assumptions for something that doesn’t even matter, He could be paying taxes on a small business and you would have no idea what his profit is. Or, he could be rolling in it and this is a quarterly tax payment. At the end of the day, it only matters to Frank.

Quoted from jandrea95:

I dont think they are looking for sympathy. I do think we need to stop vilifying success in this country though. I am far from rich, but in comparison to many, many other places in this world I am much better off.
    On another note, I clicked this thread thinking it was potentially the worst idea for a pinball theme of all time, lol. Thats awesome to see they are taking care of you! Enjoy!

Quoted from Pinzap:

You’re also missing a much bigger assumption. I’m self employed and owner of a single member LLC. Which means my company is taxed as an individual. I write checks bigger than that sometimes to the IRS, but I’m paying taxes for me and 5-6 employees on a quarterly basis (I have to submit the taxes that are withdrawn from their paychecks). Each individuals income is modest (enough to buy some NIB pins once in a while), but it all adds up to contribute to the IRS. I figure we’re all contributing to the economy and helping fund the nation (a whole different topic)... and keeping people working is probably a good thing.

I agree. I have made some heroic assumptions in an attempt to extrapolate a man's income based on nothing more than a check showing a specific dollar amount going to the IRS. You are correct; This could be an estimated quarterly IRS payment, which in that case my plug-in numbers need to be multiplied by four and a 37% tax rate would be assumed.

Very few people working for wages are going to be paying $98,000 in taxes. Is Frank self-employed? He does not say. Is this check a check that includes the taxes of employees? He does not say. So,yes, I made several assumptions. And I assumed Frank is making a lot of money.

I am not vilifying his success. I wish I was in a financial position that I would be required to, and be able to afford to write a check for that amount of money.

All I'm saying is in this country, you can go anywhere and apply for any job from coast to coast and unless it is some very special job that requires beaucoup qualifications you can get any job you go after. That's a privilege.

Would you like to start a business? In most cases, if you wish to risk your money to fund a start-up, you will find little restriction. That's a privilege.

In my state, if you wish to start a used car lot, all you have to have is a car lot big enough for 6 cars, a telephone number, a business sign, and liability insurance. It takes money, but if you can do all of this, the state guy will come by and have a look and if you qualify you can start your business. It is that simple.

And for the privilege of being able to do all of this, you need to be aware that you will be paying a lot of taxes. If you are retail you are required to collect state sales tax and every month you have to pay the state. You have to collect Social Security tax. You have to collect state income tax. You have to collect federal income tax. You have to pay unemployment taxes. And they are all a pain in the ass to deal with. I've been there. Now the trick you have to master is how to make your company a profitable company.
    =================================

I would have been elated to have been able to write a check to the IRS for $98,000.00. It would mean that I laid into a windfall, have an extremely well paying job, or a profitable business. I would not feel right in carping about the taxes.

But I also agree with Warren Buffet. It is not right that his secretary pays more in taxes than he does. The uber rich game the system and get all kinds of tax breaks not available to us mere mortals.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I agree. I have made some heroic assumptions in an attempt to extrapolate a man's income based on nothing more than a check showing a specific dollar amount going to the IRS. You are correct; This could be an estimated quarterly IRS payment, which in that case my plug-in numbers need to be multiplied by four and a 37% tax rate would be assumed.
    Very few people working for wages are going to be paying $98,000 in taxes. Is Frank self-employed? He does not say. Is this check a check that includes the taxes of employees? He does not say. So,yes, I made several assumptions. And I assumed Frank is making a lot of money.
    I am not vilifying his success. I wish I was in a financial position that I would be required to, and be able to afford to write a check for that amount of money.
    All I'm saying is in this country, you can go anywhere and apply for any job from coast to coast and unless it is some very special job that requires beaucoup qualifications you can get any job you go after. That's a privilege.
    Would you like to start a business? In most cases, if you wish to risk your money to fund a start-up, you will find little restriction. That's a privilege.
    In my state, if you wish to start a used car lot, all you have to have is a car lot big enough for 6 cars, a telephone number, a business sign, and liability insurance. It takes money, but if you can do all of this, the state guy will come by and have a look and if you qualify you can start your business. It is that simple.
    And for the privilege of being able to do all of this, you need to be aware that you will be paying a lot of taxes. If you are retail you are required to collect state sales tax and every month you have to pay the state. You have to collect Social Security tax. You have to collect state income tax. You have to collect federal income tax. You have to pay unemployment taxes. And they are all a pain in the ass to deal with. I've been there. Now the trick you have to master is how to make your company a profitable company.
    =================================
    I would have been elated to have been able to write a check to the IRS for $98,000.00. It would mean that I laid into a windfall, have an extremely well paying job, or a profitable business. I would not feel right in carping about the taxes.
    But I also agree with Warren Buffet. It is not right that his secretary pays more in taxes than he does. The uber rich game the system and get all kinds of tax breaks not available to us mere mortals.

Location has lots to do with income. Just saying..

Just a comparison example:

Median Household Income
    Households in Darien, CT have a median annual income of $208,848, which is more than the median annual income of $60,336 across the entire United States. This is in comparison to a median income of $208,125 in 2016,

Wichita Kansas Household Income
    The Census ACS 1-year survey reports that the median household income for the Wichita Kansas metro area was $54,432 in 2017,

#50 4 years ago

Deleted. I wrote a thoughtful post about all of us that are hustling every day and have great lives but would not consider ourselves rich but decided to scrap it before hitting submit. It's a mindset thing that you either get it or you don't. Instead, I will give kudos to everybody at all economic levels that are bringing positive economic impact to themselves, their communities, and the companies they work for. Keep pushing.

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-love-the-irs-?hl=mkk629 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.