(Topic ID: 65074)

I love Star trek but the new Sterns seem to be looking more like The Pin?

By Benepinballs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aaron_calvin_pinball.jpg
aaron_calvin_pinball.jpg
Star_Trek_Women_For_Charity_Wallpaper_.jpg
latch2.jpg
stern_p.jpg
jjp_p.jpg
There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

Still Trying to get used to this new metal back box with the screws holding it up. The game itself is amazing, But seems the cabinet gets cheaper and cheaper, Probably just spoiled from the WOZ next to it, With a build quality that seems too good to make a profit.

#2 10 years ago

Ok, so Sterns are cheap and JJP builds quality... has this been discussed before?

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Ok, so Sterns are cheap and JJP builds quality... has this been discussed before?

and Sterns you wait weeks for after announced and JJP's you wait years

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

And you can see the PFs on new Sterns .

#5 10 years ago

Correct, I guess we learn something new everyday!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

And you can see the PFs on Sterns .

and a beautiful backglass... ok, I'm outta here!

#7 10 years ago

If I'm going to be spending $7.5k-$8k on a pin it will only be for a JJP LE game moving forward until Stern starts packing in more toys, LCD, topper, invisi / PDI glass, shaker, different cabinet artwork for each side, etc into their LE's. Until then I rather wait the year to get a Hobbit LE with as much as these game cost. If Stern is going to continue raising their prices they need to show customers why in terms of more features, better cabinets, and toys in their games. I do think (when at first I didn't) that Star Trek looks really cool but its the price of the LE that has made me back away from it. If money was no object I would buy them all as I'm sure everyone of us would, haha.

#8 10 years ago

Those 7-ply pf's? Which will probably be down to 5 plies soon? c'mon. And the display where you can count the individual monochrome dots, and player scores disappear when an 'animation' is shown? But a piece of glass/plastic with actors' faces photoshopped on it is better than a hi-res full-color video display to you? Different strokes...

#9 10 years ago

Any truth to the rumor that JJP is making a LE "Out of Order" sign, since that's the one feature in WOZ that gets used the most?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Any truth to the rumor that JJP is making a LE "Out of Order" sign, since that's the one feature in WOZ that gets used the most?

Ah, the renowned JJP basher rises from the dust! Your credibility is zilcho here, but at least try to be mildly amusing. This post failed.

#11 10 years ago

Dear OP:
please stir the pot more. No reason whatsoever to start yet another Stern vs JJP thread.
While it sounds as though we'd all prefer the older crank style backbox system, does this really matter? How often are you folding/moving the pin anyway?

To the rest of you bashing either pin: What are you doing? Why bother pissing off another pin owner?

My first reaction was to blast StevenP for yet another "I hate Stern" thread but clearly he's just reacting to some of the negativity that's been stated against WOZ already.

Grow up!

#12 10 years ago

What was the real point of this post?

#13 10 years ago

And you wait maybe as long on both for completed software.

Almost forgot... In before the lock!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If I'm going to be spending $7.5k-$8k on a pin

Good thing ST Pro can be had for $4600 then.

#15 10 years ago

I'll be curious if the back box lock is on the Pro only, just like the pegs.

Then we get to hear how much better the JJP system is on their $4600 model :/.

#16 10 years ago

Everybody thinks people are stirring the pot, Is it that hard just to have an intelligent Conversation. I love Star Trek and WOZ. Not that the new back box is a bad thing, If They have to go lower quality on the Cabinet under playfield etc, To keep price down than thats great, Im hooked on Star Trek its fast and furious and I love the flow, Do not even care the software is lacking. If its this fun already, everything else will be a bonus.

#17 10 years ago

old bally/williams might be built like a tank, but I'd rather own/play a newer stern anyday. might be cheap, but they play a hell of a lot better than the old clunkers.

#18 10 years ago

Its still a great deal at 4600 but when my Le comes I hope perhaps the backbox is updated a bit.

#19 10 years ago

Here we go; another ST PRO vs wozle thread where the ST pro is treated as an $8k game

#20 10 years ago

Let us know how the weekly drops are measuring up. $$$ What kind of money is the WOZ making? How is MET earning??

#21 10 years ago

Can't we just all get along!

#22 10 years ago

So who is going to make the Calvin and Hobbs pinball window decal of pissing on a Stern or JJP logo?

// Error: Image 138111 not found //

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from deeznuts:

old bally/williams might be built like a tank, but I'd rather own/play a newer stern anyday. might be cheap, but they play a hell of a lot better than the old clunkers.

If that's what you like.thats cool. But it looks like you’re in the minority; check the top 10 games,

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If I'm going to be spending $7.5k-$8k on a pin it will only be for a JJP LE game moving forward until Stern starts packing in more toys, LCD, topper, invisi / PDI glass, shaker, different cabinet artwork for each side, etc into their LE's. Until then I rather wait the year to get a Hobbit LE with as much as these game cost. If Stern is going to continue raising their prices they need to show customers why in terms of more features, better cabinets, and toys in their games. I do think (when at first I didn't) that Star Trek looks really cool but its the price of the LE that has made me back away from it. If money was no object I would buy them all as I'm sure everyone of us would, haha.

This is my point on another thread I got crucified for saying ST LE looks similar cost of materials as for example Tron LE or even some of the pro machines. I mean no special glass or display or toys, I mean the Enterprise looks like it came from a Happy meal could not cost more than $6 for that toy. Wood, wires, stock pinball parts all don't come near showing me $7800 for a LE.

It does look nice to me, but LE is certainly over priced, the pro seems more ok priced, still $3000 less than a JJP game after all. But the LE is near the same price as a JJP game so I would not expect it to have all stock off the shelf parts you would find in any other Stern game, the parts have not gone up in price but Stern seems to think it can charge whatever they want.

I would not go so far as to call it 'the pin' but it defiantly seems just like standard off the shelf components.

#25 10 years ago

I hate pinball. I hate all of you. I hate oxygen. Have a nice day.

#26 10 years ago

Here we go....print away. Should be able to sell 10k of these in Pinside alone

jjp_p.jpgjjp_p.jpg stern_p.jpgstern_p.jpg

#27 10 years ago

Lets get predictions on how it earns when compared to the rest of the modern line up at Bene's place. That is the most important thing since these machines are made to earn money, not sit in basements.

Bene, any earnings reports for September for the hot games in your lineup?

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

If that's what you like.thats cool. But it looks like you’re in the minority; check the top 10 games,

i don't buy games based on ratings

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Sterns are cheap

You call 8 grand cheap?

#30 10 years ago

I hope someday Stern and JJP can exist together in a healthy competition for the betterment of the pinball community... Us the end users will be the winners in the end.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Us the end users will be the winners in the end.

Or wieners in our ends.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Benepinballs:

Still Trying to get used to this new metal back box with the screws holding it up. The game itself is amazing, But seems the cabinet gets cheaper and cheaper, Probably just spoiled from the WOZ next to it, With a build quality that seems too good to make a profit.

Didn't realize they got rid of the hex-latch for the backbox - I always thought that was an outstanding feature. . .

I know exactly where you are coming from. You're not trying to 'stir the pot', just talking about pinball. I guess it's been a long time since we've been able to talk about competing products in the pinball arena and maybe it's uncomfortable from some to discuss (ie democrats vs republicans, Chevy vs Ford, Atari vs Intellivision vs Colecovision), but the discussion and comparison between Stern and JJP should not and probably cannot be ignored.

Bene said, "With a build quality that seems too good to make a profit" -- this idea pops into my head regularly. If Stern needs to charge $7K to $8K to remain viable, how on earth could JJP possibly sell WOZ for $7K and survive? On the flip side, if JJP can sell WOZ for $7K and produce enough income to remain a going concern, why does Stern continue to raise the price and reduce the bill-of-material?

I really want a STLE - I love the theme. The problem for me is that I have a WOZ that was $7K and it is a much more robust machine that any machine Stern has produced, but *especially* from recent years. Since WOZ is available for $7K, it's apparent that a Stern should be much less, at least while JJP is producing machines. I say 'at least while JJP is producing' because it may be that a $7K JJP machine is not a viable business model, JJP goes away, and Stern continues selling $7K-$8K machines. It could be that JJP, out of necessity, ups their price to $10K and/or reduces quality to maintain $7K-$8K.

When Stern was the only maker, for me, price wasn't a significant part of the equation in the buy-no buy decision process. There were no other NIB machines to compare. I would just buy the game at the best price I could find if it was one I wanted. Now, with a WOZ in my gameroom and the knowledge of how nice a machine it is for $7K and the consistent cost-cutting measures combined with price increases that Stern is offering, I've decided that STLE and ST-Pre at their respective price-points do not provide the value I expect to pull the trigger. If WOZ/JJP didn't exist, I'd be the first to buy the STLE/Pre.

Stern seems to be behaving as if JJP doesn't exist. Eventually they are going to have to react.

I'm thankful to have had at least one maker since WMS closed shop. I love all my Stern machines. I'm excited about ST (and bought a Pro) and am excited that we have a 'Ford' and a 'Mercedes' both making machines, but I'm not going to buy the 'Lincoln' just because it's a dressed-up 'Ford' when I can buy the 'Mercedes' for the same money.

#33 10 years ago

This thread needs more attractive scantily clad pictures to calm everyone down.

#34 10 years ago

Better metal than partial board.

#35 10 years ago

Post some pics of the new design. thanks

#36 10 years ago

True but at least I can afford to buy EVERY JJP game that comes out IF I want to. I cant do that with Stern putting out 3-4 of their cookie cutter pieces of shit a year.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Didn't realize they got rid of the hex-latch for the backbox - I always thought that was an outstanding feature. . .

I'm sure that's still there. I think he's talking about the speaker panel. A metal backbox? Would never happen.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from deeznuts:

Now this is funny

The only Sterns that don't feel like clunkers are made by the old Bally/Williams designers

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Here we go....print away. Should be able to sell 10k of these in Pinside alone

Lol great job!

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm sure that's still there. I think he's talking about the speaker panel. A metal backbox? Would never happen.

No the hex latch is gone. The backbox looks to be plywood on the four sides and metal on the back where it used to be particle board.

#41 10 years ago

OP I couldn't disagree with you more on that. I've loved many of their recent releases and don't prefer multiple playfields or toys all over the place covering the layout. I respect your opinion though hope your able to find some new pins you do love to play.

All this talk of build quality gives me a chuckle as all new machines have been shown to have issues. I care more about the playfield design then what holds up the back box. For me the speed and layout of many of Stern releases has been flat out fun to play. They also designed the new cabinet protectors that seem to be working great. For me all this nitpicking is a bit over the top. I think offering a pro model well below $5K is important to the hobby. I did like the hex lock system wish they kept it but not a huge deal to me. I guess we all have our preferences.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

A metal backbox? Would never happen.

It happened.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

No the hex latch is gone. The backbox looks to be plywood on the four sides and metal on the back where it used to be particle board.

Damn. So how does it stay latched?

#44 10 years ago

Obviously you haven't played any that have been rebuilt.

No, he is talking about the coffin lock that has been stripped out in favor of two screws.

latch2.jpglatch2.jpg

#45 10 years ago

I would like JJP to build Stern games but even though it annoys the heck out of me that Stern keep cheapening the cabinet, some of their recent releases are a blast to play - especially ACDC and Metallica.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

OP I couldn't disagree with you more on that. I've loved many of their recent releases and don't prefer multiple playfields or toys all over the place covering the layout. I respect your opinion though hope your able to find some new pins you do love to play.
All this talk of build quality gives me a chuckle as all new machines have been shown to have issues. I care more about the playfield design then what holds up the back box. For me the speed and layout of many of Stern releases has been flat out fun to play. They also designed the new cabinet protectors that seem to be working great. For me all this nitpicking is a bit over the top. I think offering a pro model well below $5K is important to the hobby. I did like the hex lock system wish they kept it but not a huge deal to me. I guess we all have our preferences.

I don't think people's issues have been with the pro model. I agree that its good that there's a company out there making pro machines like ST in the sub $5k range. Star Trek pro does look really cool and that would be the model I would buy if I got a ST. However, a Stern LE at close to $8k ends up getting compared to WOZLE or THLE and at that price many wonder how Stern justifies that price with toys, features, build quality, etc. If they are going to charge JJP LE prices then at least give us a topper, shaker, some type of PDI or invisiglass, unique side art on both sides, a high quality powder coat job and the standard cabinet head with latch lock that a lot people prefer to help justify the price.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Obviously you haven't played any that have been rebuilt.

No, he is talking about the coffin lock that has been stripped out in favor of two screws.

Laaaaaaame.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

WTF?? Is that seriously the back of their new pins?? 2 rinky-dink screws?!?!?!

I would LOVE to know the actual reasoning behind this from Stern because so help me god if it's to shave a $2.83 mech off each machine and not some technical/aesthetic reason I'm gonna go ape shit.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Can you please chime in to each thread restating the same things again & again? We can split the duties, I'll take the first 30 on the front page, you take the other 30

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

WTF?? Is that seriously the back of their new pins?? 2 rinky-dink screws?!?!?!
I would LOVE to know the actual reasoning behind this from Stern because so help me god if it's to shave a $2.83 mech off each machine and not some technical/aesthetic reason I'm gonna go ape shit.

The Stern coffin lock works great when it's new. I've dealt with some Sterns just 4 to 5 years old where the coffin lock was already needing to be replaced. Maybe they thought it was more serviceable with just two standard bolts holding it on? It's certainly safer in that you can readily tell if the head is locked down if you see the bolts in place.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-love-star-trek-but-the-new-sterns-seem-to-be-looking-more-like-the-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.