You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7olution_Viking Backglass.jpg
Miss World.jpg
20141108_175214-758.jpg
20141108_175457_11.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider XPinPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

As a parent that likes pinball, nothing warms the heart more when you see one of your kids enjoy playing pinball. Well my son, who is 11, likes playing it. He thinks that what I do with XPin products is pretty cool.

I finally got my Silverball Mania back in the house and I installed one of my new 7volution sets in it. Of course, my games all have XPin products in them...from a business perspective it is pretty cool to spot a pinball machine and say "I have got to buy it as a business expense!". Well the SB was just that because I think it is important to play the game to test out the operation of what I have designed.

But I digress...what I did was challenge my boys, 11 and 14, to play the SB and get over 1 million on it. Whoever did this would get $20. This challenge went out to everyone in the house, me included. For the record, I have never rolled my SB legitimately during gameplay when it was still 6-digit. I even set it to 5 ball with pretty liberal scoring and the best that I have been able to do is 600K.

Today while I was at the local APPL (Arizona Pinball Players Leage) tournament my wife texts me to say I needed to bring home $20 because my 11 yr old got to 1.3 million, and she sent me a picture to prove it. UNBELIEVABLE! When I talked to him he says maybe it was a glitch and that he wouldn't hold me to it....WHEWWW! Next thing I knew, about an 1hr later I get another text from my wife and she says it is no glitch and now the new high score is 1.5 million. My son was determined to see if it was a glitch so he played it some more and before he knew it by ball 3 he was at ~900K. My wife was called to witness the rollover to 1 million and he continued playing. WOW!!!

When I got home he was waiting with this big grin on his face, wanting to show me the score. I had to immortalize the moment with some pictures....

Now for the sad part...when I asked him what he was going to do with the $20 he said "I want to go to Game Stop and get a new XBOX game"...sigh

20141108_175457_11.jpg20141108_175457_11.jpg 20141108_175214-758.jpg20141108_175214-758.jpg
#4 9 years ago

It is a good game. I think I am going to change it over to blue displays and LED it during the holidays. I actually picked this game up at TPF this last year.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

Great story! Don't knock him for buying an Xbox game, some of us in the hobby have two loves...

No...I am okay with the XBOX game. I am just thrilled he took the time to figure out the rules and what it would take to get the points. When we play together he is always asking questions. When I get my WMS 7volution system running and in the house I will put the challenge down again. He will probably get the $20 then as well...he is a determined young man.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Post a pick when you change them to blue. You may have a sale depending on how they look.

I will...I do have some 7volution blue in stock now...they have been a fast seller.
http://www.xpinpinball.com/shop/product/xp-7volution-b

Here is a picture from Stu Wright who has a blue version in his Miss World. And the score is legit, which is surprising considering what he gets to look at during game play.

Miss World.jpgMiss World.jpg

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball4ever:

Great story! It's nice that you're accepting your son is better at pinball than you.

Yeah...he has already started talking smack to me about it...good natured fun though. Considering I have only had it setup in the house for a couple of weeks, that is pretty good. I am considering taking him to TPF next year and having him enter the kids tournament.

I get my Cyclone back next week, having a CPR playfield swap done. Let's see how good he is then...

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I really like these 7volution
may have to break my pureist perspective

Speaking of a purist perspective...I have a question for you...do you feel the value of the pinball machine is increased if it is all original...with no aftermarket parts, i.e. XPin, Rottendog, Altek, CPR, etc?

I am not a purist, obviously, because I create and sell aftermarket parts, but I have a hard time seeing that viewpoint when I would have to choose owning a game that is working reliably and looking good with aftermarket parts, vs. a game that is definitely showing it's age and maybe a little flaky in operation.

#15 9 years ago

an all original game would be worth more than one with aftermanrket parts
but these new products are more reliable than 40 yo electronics,

just not a fan of alternative colored displays, but that would not stop me from playing a game or ten

Okay, I understand...I think..., it is the appearance of the display, not the technology running the game that is the purist point of view.

Does the value decrease, in your opinion, if the playfield or backglass has been replaced by a reproduction? We all have seen some pretty worn games, backglasses flaking, etc. that we wouldn't pay more than $50 for making the game they were in valued at maybe a couple hundred. But, putting a repro backglass or playfield and whatever else is needed, brings it back to almost new condition, going from a $200 game to $2000 game. I have seen it done with a couple of games.

I guess the value is really determined what someone is willing to pay for it...purist or not.

#16 9 years ago

I really like these 7volution
may have to break my pureist perspective

Just thought I would point out that those displays in my SB are an orange set of 7volution...

#20 9 years ago

Unfortunately he doesn't need a 7volution. Elektra is already 7-digit scoring.

#22 9 years ago

Rob, thanks for the perspective.

Brett

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider XPinPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-lost-20-on-silverball-mania?tu=XPinPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.