(Topic ID: 295268)

Don't buy used from Automated services in CT! !

By Jasenwm

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by EMpin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jasenwm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I bought a Stern playboy and bride of pinbot from a dealer that sells pinballs, arcades etc. I have been wanting to check out the place for awhile and finally had a chance to. I live in Connecticut and it was one of the only places that sells pins. The place is Automated Services in Milford Connecticut. I checked out the show room, plenty of new, older pins. I decided on a 2002 stern playboy and bide of pinbot. Both had leds but the playboy could use a cleaning, one of the plastics was cracked and there was a decal missing from one of drop targets. The bop had some lights out and could use a deep clean and or shop. I speak to the owner and we make a deal to have the two delivered. I point out the issues with machines, namely the missing decal on the pb and he says he will take care of it. I had this feeling that they were going to get delivered just the way they were. Come delivery day and yup, no decal on the pb, lights still put on the bop and both are still dirty. Basically he told his guys pack them up and deliver them. Needless to say I'm extremely disappointed. I never bought a pin from a dealer but I would at least think the games would be cleaned and all the lights replaced. Imo a game should be fully shopped before you sell it? I understand these aren't nib but I paid a few thousand for both, actually $4300 for the bop and $5 for the pb. The next day I go and pick up a 1978 playboy from a guy in his house. Game is near flawless. I paid 3k he wanted 3500. So long story long, I'll stick to private collectors to buy my games from and avoid the disappointment.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Let me guess.....Automated Services?

Yup

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Why did you think this? Did they say they were going to do this work to the games before delivery?

Because I was under the crazy assumption that when you pay thousands of dollars for something from a business that specializes in a area it would be standard.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from c508:

You could have gotten an additional 1-2 games from a collector for what you overpaid on BOP and Playboy.
    And $5000 for Playboy? How did you talk yourself into that?

Can you return the games and just get a new Stern Pro instead?

All the Stern playboys I see are around the 4500-4900 mark? The bop is good, it's dirty and a few leds are out. I'm not mad about paying I'm mad about paying and not even getting a wipe down. I got hosed and should have gotten it in writing but Jesus it's like buying a car and they don't even armor all the tires

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well unfortunately that is a crazy assumption with dealers. Be absolutely clear on what you’re getting before you buy it. Even if they say they are going to shop it, ask them exactly what they mean by that, so you can hold them accountable.
    Also, please post their name here so others know to tread lightly when considering them for a purchase.

I didn't want to dime them out but it was automated Services in milford, CT

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from c508:

Yeah, the BOP price seemed a lot more reasonable. Most of the Stern Playboys in Midwest have been high 2000s to low 3000s, but I would not be surprised to see someone tack another $1000 on that just because of the current market.
    I have no experience with “Automated” but “Games We Play” in Michigan expects you to pay full MSRP for a routed game that is still in production rather than selling you a NIB for the same price.

I paid 2400 each for a rescue 911 and cue ball wizard. I know these are super great games but they were in like new condition, almost flawless so I didn't mind paying. I feel like if I'm paying that kind of money for anything I shouldn't have to do anything to it

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Pay them a visit with your profile picture. Problem solved.

LOL

#37 2 years ago

Well I never thought I would chime in here. I have a Jurassic Premium with playfield issues that I bought from Automated one year ago this month. I emailed him several times with pictures and he never replied or sent to Stern. Finally I got through by calling and got a ticket going and was approved for an unpopulated replacement. He absolutely apologized about it. It’s now about 8 months since I initially tried to get a ticket started without the replacement still. Fast forward I still was going to purchase another game a year later two weekends ago. I called to buy a tmnt pro, he answered and had an attitude because he probably knew it was me the playfield issues guy, put me on hold for twenty minutes then I gave up. I emailed after about purchasing and no reply. So I shelved the purchase for now.

I'm in the market for a jpprem but I refuse to buy from them. I don't think it was expecting a lot to have a dirty game cleaned and a few leds that were out replaced if it sold. Sorry but $1,000 is a lot of money for something never mind dropping $8,900. It's like grocery stores charging 10 cents to bag the products you buy from them. That to me is the cost of doing business which I refuse to pay.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Automated is great for NIB pins. I would never buy a used pin from any dealer. Too much mark up on top of already crazy prices we have been experiencing.
    That said, did you contact Mike and ask him why the issues you brought up were not addressed? Because he could of forgot. Were you expecting to have all the issues resolved? Because you seem like you wanted complete shop jobs, lights replaced, and a few other things but then you say this.

Seeing that, I would imagine he said he would take care of the PB issue....not everything else. I suppose it doesn't really matter since nothing was done at all but you definitely need to be absolutely clear on what you wanted done. I wouldn't have paid in full before any of it was fixed.

The games worked fine they were just dirty and a few leds were out. I'm sorry but it's obvious Noone gave a look at the games or cared before they packed them up. Again maybe it's me but you selling something for a few thousand bucks theeast they could have done is wipe it off and throw working leds in. It's definitely a lesson learned and I don't feel a customer should have state what should be a common business practice

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Unless you've got that in writing, you bought those games as-is (and *way* overpaid, especially for the Stern). Yes, it would be nice if they shopped it out and replaced the burned out bulbs, but unless it's in the contract, they are under no obligation to do so. Let's be honest here... to fully strip the topside of a playfield, clean everything, add a couple of coats of wax to the playfield, etc, then reassemble is many hours of labor. Businesses don't want to spend the hundreds of dollars on labor that it costs to do all of this correctly, so they do the bare minimum to make the game functional, and move it along to its new home.
    You didn't indicate it in your initial post-- have you reached out to them to give them the opportunity to make it right, or did you come straight here to complain?

No I just complained. Being used I wasn't too irritated the playfield was dirty I think the burnt out bulbs is what bothered me. Nonetheless I definitely learned on this experience

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Bitching about a couple of burned out bulbs and a game not meeting your standards of cleanliness when you didn't even notify the vendor of your dissatisfaction and give him an opportunity to address your perceived problem says more about you than it does about him. Again, unless you got it in writing, you bought a machine as-is, where-is, and shouldn't have expected anything above and beyond that.

Well this is why this website exists, to get others experiences and talk about your own. Like said after dropping a few K I at least expected a little look over. Can I pop new bulbs in myself, yes but it's the principle. Now I know if it's not nib and how you can comepare nib to anything else is not even comparable, those issues that should be standard apparently aren't and now I know

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

How did you pay automated? Cash, check or credit card?

Cash. He gave me a few hundred off because I asked and said I'm buying two machines. It just rubbed me the wrong way that they were basically delivered just as they were. They work no issues but the burnt out bulbs bothered me. I know it's not nib but 4k is a lot of money for anything. Just expected a little once over at the least

#63 2 years ago

I think it just depends on the day. I’ve bought all my nib games from him in the past.

What is there to do with nib? It's new in the unopened box. You pay they give you the nib. I guess I just expected a little once over for spending a few thousand

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Everybody has a bad day. I get it.
    However, when I’m about to drop some serious cash you had better make me feel like I matter.

I'm waiting for someone to tell me 8900 isn't a lot because they paid 16 for there le wizard of Oz or something. Well with the bitch fest I just told you guy I just dropped 7600 on a jurassic park premium at game exchange out of CO. Pinballs are overpriced toys let's be real but to 99.9% of the population 1, 000 is a lot of money. I agree with you, I spent good money there and paid in cash. I expected a wipe down and have the same bulbs that were out when I played it replaced. Now I know

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jasenwm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-ll-never-buy-from-this-dealer-again-?tu=Jasenwm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.