Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Haymaker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

d7e6e5234ac6a991fc98130584367bc6cf7a1e7a (resized).jpg
    got (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.04.40 PM (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

From the Gottlieb On Target technical newsletter vol. 1 issue 1, November 1980...

First Aid Emergency Repair KitFirst Aid Emergency Repair Kit

On location repairs can be quickly accomplished if you have the proper replacement components at hand. Sometimes that's easier said than done. Well, to insure that the service technician does have the necessary replacement parts for a System 80 pinball game, an emergency repair kit is now available through your distributor. Replacement parts selected for the kit are parts that handle and control the higher current circuitry during game operation. The kit case is small measuring 12"x12-1/2"x2". Components are organized into six compartments and the attached handle makes for easy portability. Oh yes, the price is right. Ask your distributor for the "System 80 Operator Maintenance Kit".

#2 2 years ago

Wow, another pinhead in Manhattan, IL!

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Wow, another pinhead in Manhattan, IL!

We must be the only two! LOL!

#stopnorthpoint #justsaynotonorthpoint

#4 2 years ago

I like that this kit includes the 6800uF capacitor, considering this was available in 1980 were these caps failing that often back then? Or those stupid now obsolete Germanium diodes that cab be replaced with other common pinball diodes. I've also never found a bad pop bumper driver board, maybe I have been lucky. Seems more likely this kit was to up sell extra inventory just to make money.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from 20eyes:

I like that this kit includes the 6800uF capacitor, considering this was available in 1980 were these caps failing that often back then?

Makes you wonder what kind of failures. These days, after decades of use, they've lost their capacitance and DC voltage gets bumpy... back then when relatively new, maybe they'd occasionally short out and pop?

Quoted from 20eyes:

I've also never found a bad pop bumper driver board, maybe I have been lucky.

Mine were all working except for a loose connector. Another one had some arcing between two pins that burned deeply into the board... but yet it was functional.

I'm sure somebody running an arcade, or doing maintenance at arcades, would have spare parts on hand regardless. Big Daddy wouldn't sell both the pop bumper rebuild kits and the spares kits if no demand or need.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from 20eyes:

I like that this kit includes the 6800uF capacitor, considering this was available in 1980 were these caps failing that often back then? Or those stupid now obsolete Germanium diodes that cab be replaced with other common pinball diodes. I've also never found a bad pop bumper driver board, maybe I have been lucky. Seems more likely this kit was to up sell extra inventory just to make money.

I've seen plenty of bad pop bumper driver boards. Many had shorted transistors or bad connector solder joints. Some had bad ICs or bum capacitors.

#7 2 years ago

I have also seen lots of bad System 80 pop bumper boards. From the beginning, they had a design flaw with the 74121 monostables timing capacitor circuit. That was corrected in later versions.

The 6800 uF capacitor or "orange cap" on the bottom cabinet was very often failing even in just 2-3 year old games.

#8 2 years ago

Nobody has ever come across one of these boxes or kits?

#9 2 years ago

When I saw that post, I thought that you had the kit in the ad.
    Its mostly common components, but it would be interesting to actually see one that has not be used.
    My guess is that there are not many left.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

When I saw that post, I thought that you had the kit in the ad.
    Its mostly common components, but it would be interesting to actually see one that has not be used.
    My guess is that there are not many left.

It’s not the parts, but the box package that interests me.

#11 2 years ago

A similar rarity, pg 86 in the Gottlieb 1978 parts manual list an "electric ball shooter kit". What that heck is its purpose? Anyone ever seen one?

got (resized).jpggot (resized).jpg
    #12 2 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

A similar rarity, pg 86 in the Gottlieb 1978 parts manual list an "electric ball shooter kit". What that heck is its purpose?

Based on description in catalog, it's replacing the ball shooter that is manually pulled with an electric one activated by a button.

#13 2 years ago

How did the 'tilt delay' kit work? Says it prevented cheating from pounding or dropping but isn't that what the existing tilt circuit is supposed to do in the first place? How does delaying anything make it more cheat-proof? Me don't get it. 8()

Maybe the electric shooter was similar to the outhole shooters Gottlieb used on a few EM games like Play Ball where it activated a steel kicker arm, but instead you screwed it to the end of the shooter lane?

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

How did the 'tilt delay' kit work? Says it prevented cheating from pounding or dropping but isn't that what the existing tilt circuit is supposed to do in the first place? How does delaying anything make it more cheat-proof? Me don't get it. 8()

My guess, only a guess, is that it delayed or dampened the response coming from tilt switches. So you could bump the machine around very briefly without tilting it, but if you continuously pounded it, or dropped it, it would still tilt.

Says "prevents cheating from pounding or dropping", which seems to imply that it confines the anti-cheat to only pounding and dropping. So the plumb-bob and tilt-ball would work the same, but the under-playfield weighted leaf switch would be dampened by a delay timer. Again, just my interpretation.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

Says "prevents cheating from pounding or dropping", which seems to imply that it confines the anti-cheat to only pounding and dropping. So the plumb-bob and tilt-ball would work the same, but the under-playfield weighted leaf switch would be dampened by a delay timer. Again, just my interpretation.

Ahhhh okay, found the explanation: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-part-number-a-16930

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

A similar rarity, pg 86 in the Gottlieb 1978 parts manual list an "electric ball shooter kit". What that heck is its purpose? Anyone ever seen one?

Press a button and the ball is shot into play with a solenoid.

Photo here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-grand-slam-plungerless#post-1874442

#17 2 years ago

Apparently you didn't even have to push a button. Cover plate was blank and looks like the included switch was simply a rollover switch you installed at the bottom of the shooter lane and the ball was automatically shot out when served. Except there's a notch in the wood for the switch actuator, I guess you had to cut that out yourself? If so then that's a little too drastic for me!

d7e6e5234ac6a991fc98130584367bc6cf7a1e7a (resized).jpgd7e6e5234ac6a991fc98130584367bc6cf7a1e7a (resized).jpg
    #18 2 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

... I guess you had to cut that out yourself?

Yes, there's a template in that kit.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Apparently you didn't even have to push a button.

I made the assumption the player would at least be able to choose when to shoot the ball. No more 3-minute breaks between balls.

This "upgrade" would not work on games like mine where player gets to select angle of shot by stopping the chute aiming motor. Not to mention the infinite degrees of strength of shot depending on how far back you pull the plunger.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Apparently you didn't even have to push a button. Cover plate was blank and looks like the included switch was simply a rollover switch you installed at the bottom of the shooter lane and the ball was automatically shot out when served. Except there's a notch in the wood for the switch actuator, I guess you had to cut that out yourself? If so then that's a little too drastic for me!
    [quoted image]

I imagine this was like the assembly on goin nuts but made to retrofit into production games?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-ll-bet-these-are-pretty-rare and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.