bluechip6-2-14 035.jpg
bluechip6-2-14 025.jpg
bluechip6-2-14 013.jpg
bluechip6-2-14 012.jpg
bluechip6-2-14 011.jpg
bluechip6-1-14 003.jpg
bluechip6-1-14 013.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Here are some pictures of a 1976 Williams Blue Chip i just picked up on Friday for your viewing pleasure. The game was in the previous owners home since 1979 and has been sitting dormant the last 15 years or so.

With only 18,000 plays on this pinball machine it should look and play like new once i get done with the restoration.

The game needed some repair work to get it to play through a complete game that i did on Friday night and Saturday late afternoon.

Check out the before and after pic's. I have about 14 hours of work in the game already. Just finished the lower playfield cleaning today and will continue with the upper playfield when i get more time.

I haven' done anything to the cabinet yet. Backglass is near perfect too.

bluechip6-1-14 060.jpgbluechip6-1-14 060.jpgbluechip6-1-14 050.jpgbluechip6-1-14 050.jpgbluechip6-1-14 036.jpgbluechip6-1-14 036.jpgbluechip6-1-14 041.jpgbluechip6-1-14 041.jpgbluechip6-1-14 046.jpgbluechip6-1-14 046.jpg
bluechip6-1-14 004.jpgbluechip6-1-14 004.jpgbluechip6-1-14 029.jpgbluechip6-1-14 029.jpgbluechip6-1-14 030.jpgbluechip6-1-14 030.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Nice find Vic.

I hear it is a fun single player, but to me most Williams games are.

Do you plan to keep it for the long haul?

Ken

#3 9 years ago

Nice. I picked up one a few months ago; it just hasn't made it here yet. BTW, it is an AAB. And I always dug the mid-70s WMS EMs. They always were the fastest players.

#4 9 years ago

it's a cool game..this is mine on action a few years ago

#5 9 years ago

The spinners make this a gratifying player. The art package is handsome, too. Nice color scheme and an atypical, non-vice-related theme.

#6 9 years ago

The top arch is an indication that the 18,000 plays are true and original. Man this game plays fast and powerful. Still haven't cleaned the Top section of the playfield yet.

bluechip6-1-14 013.jpgbluechip6-1-14 013.jpgbluechip6-1-14 003.jpgbluechip6-1-14 003.jpg

#7 9 years ago

Wow - that game looks to be in fantastic condition! Congrats on your acquisition.

- Tim

#8 9 years ago

Lots of people miss out on a lot of really good games because they get stuck on one manufacturer and type of game. That's a really nice looking game. I have no idea how you find games like that. I certainly hardly ever do.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Lots of people miss out on a lot of really good games because they get stuck on one manufacturer and type of game. That's a really nice looking game. I have no idea how you find games like that. I certainly hardly ever do.

A lot of people don't realize how much fun many EMs are, nevermind SS games. Sad. BTW, games like this come up for sale, even here. My Blue Chip was posted on a fs thread here for $450, excellent condition (just needed a flipper rebuild). More of these older games tend to show up locally, often at better prices. Getting off the internet helps when searching.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

A lot of people don't realize how much fun many EMs are, nevermind SS games. Sad. BTW, games like this come up for sale, even here. My Blue Chip was posted on a fs thread here for $450, excellent condition (just needed a flipper rebuild). More of these older games tend to show up locally, often at better prices. Getting off the internet helps when searching.

OK, if you get off the internet and find them locally, how do you find them? Not following you here.

There's a huge selection of games, it appears, on the East Coast. Not nearly as plentiful out here.

#11 9 years ago

That is a very nice game. I always thought if I could find one at the right price (cheap!!) I would buy it for my brothers office...he is a financial advisor...perfect theme!!

#12 9 years ago

played one at PPE a few years back and thought it was a great player and i loved the theme. very cool pin.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

OK, if you get off the internet and find them locally, how do you find them? Not following you here.
There's a huge selection of games, it appears, on the East Coast. Not nearly as plentiful out here.

I don't want to give up all my secrets. But, try networking. Print. Neighborhood stuff. That's where the real bargains are, esp. for older games. People these days are so hung up on believing you can find EVERYTHING on the internet. But when you do, somebody already scooped it up or the 'savvy' seller has it overpriced.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

it's a cool game..this is mine on action a few years ago
» YouTube video

I bet you also say you're "standing on line"!

#15 9 years ago

That's exceptionally nice and good to see it in appreciative hands!

#16 9 years ago

Your's is nicer than mine... jealous! It's a great game, really underrated.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I don't want to give up all my secrets. But, try networking. Print. Neighborhood stuff. That's where the real bargains are, esp. for older games. People these days are so hung up on believing you can find EVERYTHING on the internet. But when you do, somebody already scooped it up or the 'savvy' seller has it overpriced.

That's what I was kind of thinking you were talking about. I've done that, and all I find are worn out games. Never something like this.

Again, we evidently just don't have the supply out here.

#18 9 years ago

Very nice Vic! Can't wait to see it first hand... You always do tremendous work.

- jeff

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

The top arch is an indication that the 18,000 plays are true and original. Man this game plays fast and powerful. Still haven't cleaned the Top section of the playfield yet.

Fantastic...

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

That's what I was kind of thinking you were talking about. I've done that, and all I find are worn out games. Never something like this.
Again, we evidently just don't have the supply out here.

Patience, grasshopper.

#21 9 years ago

Tonight i completed the upper playfield cleaning. My finger tips are sore from 4hrs hours of clean up,but she looks real good now and i am ready to clean and polish the plastic set. Check out the before pictures above of the upper playfield and see how nice it looks afterwards.

I am thrilled to hear about all the good reviews about the Blue Chip and i can't wait to play a game for myself after all the hard work. Keep the comments coming!

bluechip6-2-14 011.jpgbluechip6-2-14 011.jpgbluechip6-2-14 013.jpgbluechip6-2-14 013.jpgbluechip6-2-14 012.jpgbluechip6-2-14 012.jpgbluechip6-2-14 025.jpgbluechip6-2-14 025.jpgbluechip6-2-14 035.jpgbluechip6-2-14 035.jpg
bluechip6-2-14 046.jpgbluechip6-2-14 046.jpgbluechip6-2-14 047.jpgbluechip6-2-14 047.jpgbluechip6-2-14 050.jpgbluechip6-2-14 050.jpg

#22 9 years ago

Nice pickup Vic! I also acquired a nice Blue Chip last week. This makes me appreciate it even more! I am growing fond of the artwork on the backglass and the gameplay isn't half bad either.

#23 9 years ago

Looking forward to giving Vic's a look over, and playing this game again. I remember seeing it brand spankin' new at the local arcade back in the day. At the time I thought it was pretty ugly and didn't play it very often.
I've heard good things about it here, so I'm going to have a chance to give it another go 'round at Vic's.
One thing's for sure; Vic found a stunning example; eerily similar in many ways to the the "Golden Arrow" I picked up a couple of months back. If you can believe it, it's from the same town in NJ!

#24 9 years ago

Didn't have much time to work on the Blue Chip tonight. I managed to clean up the ball shooter rod and all the flippers switches. Tomorrow i will polish a new ball and play a game perhaps.....

Check that ball shooter rod!

bcshooterrod 001.jpgbcshooterrod 001.jpgbcshooterrod 003.jpgbcshooterrod 003.jpgbcshooterrod 002.jpgbcshooterrod 002.jpgbcshooterrod 004.jpgbcshooterrod 004.jpg

#25 9 years ago

It looks as good as new!

#26 9 years ago

Vic, the rod looks great, but you better get some sleep. It doesn't go anywhere under the playfield. Put it back in the hole where you took it out!

#27 9 years ago

Score reels all cleaned tonight...

#28 9 years ago

Check out the score reels

#29 9 years ago

Upload failure, Vic!

#30 9 years ago

Sorry pictures not working on Pinside today?[attachment=1698444,null]

[attachment=1698444,]
#31 9 years ago

[attachment=1698472,null][attachment=1698472,null][attachment=1698472,null]

[attachment=1698472,] [attachment=1698472,] [attachment=1698472,]
#32 9 years ago

[attachment=1698998,null]

[attachment=1698998,]
#33 9 years ago

nope, nope, nope. no pictures.

#34 9 years ago

Hey Vic. Where do you find these great quality pins? Do you feel that the really nice games are getting harder and harder to locate?

#35 9 years ago

All the nice original low played EM games i have in my collection came from wealthy peoples homes here in NJ who bought them back in the 1960's and 1970's. The late 1970's games are easier to find in excellent condition,but need many hours of TLC like my Blue Chip needed to look/play like new again. New Jersey wealthy towns are still flooded with nice original games to be had.

Go here to see more updated pic's of my BC.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-show-us-your-em-pinball-machines/page/55#post-1699833

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

All the nice original low played EM games i have in my collection came from wealthy peoples homes here in NJ who bought them back in the 1960's and 1970's. The late 1970's games are easier to find in excellent condition,but need many hours of TLC like my Blue Chip needed to look/play like new again. New Jersey wealthy towns are still flooded with nice original games to be had.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-show-us-your-em-pinball-machines/page/55#post-1699833

I guess I'll stay out of East Orange then. I heard of someone in Montclair (very, very high rent) who has an all original HUO Williams "Moulin Rouge". I was told she is an artist, and has had this game since it was new. Someone who serviced it told me it was the nicest original '60s pin he has ever seen.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Great game

Interesting people bought games in 60's and 70's - thought it was a modern thing.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

All the nice original low played EM games i have in my collection came from wealthy peoples homes here in NJ who bought them back in the 1960's and 1970's.

Must be nice to have that resource. Most of the machines that got shipped out west had the tar played out of them at pizza joints and arcades. Which is just as well. I was one of the guys that played them.

#39 9 years ago

Very nice acquisition Vic, it will fit into your collection nicely.
not one of my favorite art packages from a late 70's williams but a pretty good player though.

#40 9 years ago

Montclair?? hell Upper Montclair. my grams had a beautiful old house there. no pins tho

-Jeff

#41 9 years ago

That's right, Upper Montclair. I believe Yogi Berra lives there.

#42 9 years ago

Blue Chip in its new slot..for now.
BlueChipinFamRm 002.jpgBlueChipinFamRm 002.jpg

#43 9 years ago

Vic, when is the "Top Card" going to rightfully join it's brethren downstairs? If you're going to banish a Gottlieb from the downstairs line-up, I'm afraid it has to be "Spin A Card" because it really isn't a wedgehead.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Vic, when is the "Top Card" going to rightfully join it's brethren downstairs? If you're going to banish a Gottlieb from the downstairs line-up, I'm afraid it has to be "Spin A Card" because it really isn't a wedgehead.

Wow.... "banish"... hahaha Now that's a bit strong, Joe....

Vic, if you ever need help moving pins around, just give me a shout...

#45 9 years ago

I can't bring myself to believe that Spin a Card isn't a wedgehead. It sure does feel like a wedgehead when i play it.
SpinJan2006 175.jpgSpinJan2006 175.jpg

#46 9 years ago

Don't get me wrong; I love the game. My first pin ever was a "Hearts & Spades", but that head just looked goofy next to my brother's "Subway". It was made in the wedgehead era, but that crazy lightbox design really mars the appearance of the game. "Top Card" deserves it's place among the wedgeheads.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

All the nice original low played EM games i have in my collection came from wealthy peoples homes here in NJ who bought them back in the 1960's and 1970's.

Vic, I know who you are first and foremost because of your pictures and IPDB reviews. I've long considered you the god of wedgeheads because your entire collection seemed to be in unbelievable condition. I've recently gotten my first wedgeheads (Sing Along, then El Dorado), so needless to say... I've fallen in love and want more.

With this statement about where you got your games, you've totally humanized yourself, and I can't thank you enough. I thought you were a god, but you've revealed yourself as a mere mortal. That's awesome, because I'm just a mortal, too. You've given me hope!

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from mot:

With this statement about where you got your games, you've totally humanized yourself, and I can't thank you enough. I thought you were a god,

You mean I was wrong about Vic all these years?

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from mot:

I thought you were a god, but you've revealed yourself as a mere mortal.

No... Vic's a machine... Especially with the hours he puts in perfecting them...

- jeff

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Top Card" deserves it's place among the wedgeheads.

Yes. It really does.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 98.95
Electronics
Penny K Pinball
Electronics
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-know-its-not-a-gottlieb-wedgehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.