(Topic ID: 46404)

I know its a Hack but

By john041160

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I have 4 games that need thier plastic GI connectors rebuilt and with my poor eyesight
    I don't know and have no experience of finding the parts crimping the pins. I was wondering
    if there was anybody that cold pin the connectors for me just leave the wires comming out of
    the back of the connector and I could splice them into the existing GI wires. Flame suit
    on I know but thought I would ask. Thanks

#2 11 years ago

Get new IFC and poke them in. It's easier than trying to splice wires. And if your eye sight is too poor to poke in wires it's also too poor to splice them.

#3 11 years ago

Have you checked if there is a local repairman perhaps in your area? Check with distributors to see if they recommend anyone or maybe some local pinsiders can chime in or even stop by!

#4 11 years ago

It should only take an hour to get the GI fixed up... Maybe someone would do it for a flat $50.

Quoted from jrivelli:

Have you checked if there is a local repairman perhaps in your area? Check with distributors to see if they recommend anyone or maybe some local pinsiders can chime in or even stop by!

#5 11 years ago

I agree with markmon on this one. except i believe they are called IDC connectors not IFC. small screwdriver will work or spring for the push in tool and its not hard. But after saying that, you will want to replace the male header pins on the board as well. Takes me about a half an hour to an hour to replace one board. you get faster the more you do.

#6 11 years ago

Soldering the male header pins will take decent eyesight, but it's not always necessary. Get the IDC punch tool and you can almost insert all the wires by feel.

Surely there's someone on Pinside in VT that would help you out for a couple of beers and you can get both done.

#7 11 years ago

radio shack has something similar but this is a cheap answer to your eyesight issues with small electronics.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss

you are way to far for me to help but with the right tools it gets easier.

#8 11 years ago

Do it right, and get the right tool:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1590

Years ago it took me a long time to find these tools to work on both WMS pins and video games, but it makes the work neater and quicker. Don't risk damaging the connector or injuring yourself using a screw driver.
    The tool guarantees that the wire is inserted securely in both sets of blades in the header, and it wont spread out the blade. just enough forc e push the wire in the blades, and cut thru the insulation without touching the contact surface of the blades with the tool.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-know-its-a-hack-but and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.