IMG_0878 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0877 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0876 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0875 (resized).jpeg
20240101_140559 (resized).jpg
20240101_140406 (resized).jpg
20231229_172129 (resized).jpg
9DC539C1-ABE2-4668-BCBD-01A05C347FE3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlexRogan84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#167 3 years ago

I was wondering if anyone had used a Lego set for a topper or mod on the playfield and found this thread when I searched. And I'm glad I did!

Yea, I'd say I'm a wee bit of a Lego fan. And have been pretty much my entire life. Born in 1974, my oldest set is the moon landing one from about 1975. And by some miracle, I've been able to hang on to pretty much every set I had ever gotten from the 70's, 80's through to today.

Somewhere around 1992 I built a huge boat. Just my own creation and it had room for cars to drive in the front, a swimming pool below deck, a band playing, helicopter pad, you name it. I left it together like that for probably 20 years. Then around 2012 or 2013, my niece was expressing an interest in Lego and I thought she'd get a kick out of seeing what the old sets looked like. So I took the ship apart and started what was about a 30,000 piece puzzle.

I have some of the old instructions and some I didn't. Some sets I knew I had and others I only realized as the piece pile got smaller. Most instructions you can download a PDF copy of so that really helped. I got them all together and put most of those old ones all together on the dining room table.

Just a fraction of the total really. Star Wars takes up it's own room lol. The newer space ones are great like the Apollo rocket and lunar lander. The Simpson's house and VW bus. The Pirates of Barracuda Bay set might honestly be the best set I've ever owned. Even more so than the Death Star. The thought and design and engineering going into the big sets nowadays is really incredible. Also got a little twisted idea making a Brickheadz model from the Hannibal movie...

I have a couple of my pinball machines with minifig keychains hanging off the coin door. I don't have any direct franchise related pins to Lego though, like Ghostbusters or Back to the Future or Star Wars. There are plenty out there though where you could make a topper out of a set.

IMG_0125 (resized).JPGIMG_0125 (resized).JPGIMG_0135 (resized).JPGIMG_0135 (resized).JPGIMG_1240 (resized).JPGIMG_1240 (resized).JPGIMG_1276 (resized).JPGIMG_1276 (resized).JPGIMG_0671 (resized).JPGIMG_0671 (resized).JPGIMG_0564 (resized).JPGIMG_0564 (resized).JPGIMG_0565 (resized).JPGIMG_0565 (resized).JPGPaul Krendler Brickheadz (resized).jpgPaul Krendler Brickheadz (resized).jpg
1 month later
#179 2 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I don't get any joy from them sitting around.

This is a good observation. I feel the same way.

2 months later
#205 2 years ago

Got some Lego minifig keychains for my games the other day. Might be a more directly applicable match if it was for a Star Wars or Lord of the Rings pin, but hey, I think these work pretty well.

IMG_4905 (resized).JPGIMG_4905 (resized).JPGIMG_4907 (resized).JPGIMG_4907 (resized).JPGIMG_4908 (resized).JPGIMG_4908 (resized).JPG
2 years later
#295 5 months ago

I also like that Galaxy Explorer set. The castle ones are fantastic and they are doing a great job recreating past sets. For sure some nostalgia feel there and also really clever how they are engineered and designed. New, young Lego builders would definitely enjoy those.

Eldorado Fortress is a good set and so is the Lion Knights' Castle. The big set is 25% off right now with the Black Friday deals.

I still have some of these old sets from when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s. Pretty cool seeing the old and new beside each other. This moon landing set I had not even realized I had until putting together all my old sets and figuring out what the remaining pieces went to.

IMG_0671 (resized).JPGIMG_0671 (resized).JPGIMG_0899 (resized).JPGIMG_0899 (resized).JPGIMG_2017 (resized).JPGIMG_2017 (resized).JPGIMG_9014 (resized).JPGIMG_9014 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlexRogan84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-know-it-sounds-silly-but-i-think-i-m-getting-into-legos?tu=AlexRogan84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.