New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 134890)

I Killed Superman

By Pintoxicated

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pintoxicated
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

k (resized).jpg
20160524001941687_(resized).jpg
20160524_125228_(resized).jpg
20160524_125201_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

Take a look here, and specifically, the links to Leon's repair guides:

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Atari_Repair#Generation_2_8

John at John's Jukes (flippers.com) seems to be one of the resident Atari experts around, so you might want to try calling or emailing him. He also does board repairs if you get stuck.

9 months later
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Pintoxicated:

Any Atari Sys 2 MPU boards for sale anywhere perhaps?

You'll have an easier time finding hen's teeth.

What chips are you looking for?

Keep in mind, the issue you have might not even be chip related. Could be cracked solder joints, broken traces, or voltage that is too low.

Did you try contacting John Robertson at flippers.com? He repairs these boards and might be able to give you some direction.

Also try posting over at RGP as well. There might be a few folks somewhat familiar with repairing this boardset.

#9 4 years ago

I looked up what the LEDs on the MPU indicated, and the manual pointed to the backbox card. I looked at a loose card I had, but it looks like those indicator lights won't help in this situation, since lower logic chips may be at fault.

20160524001941687_(resized).jpg

#10 4 years ago

74LS253N (A4, B4, C4, D4)
CD4066BCN (L4)
SN74161N (K3)
74S570N (J3)
74LS164N (N4)
74LS393N
74LS160N (R2)
74LS04N (P2)
74LS86N (R4)

Have you looked on jameco.com? The seem to carry most of the 7400-series chips I've needed. Drop the leading "SN" and tailing "N", and they should come up in a search.

As for the CD4066BCN, it looks like a possible replacement *might* be CD4066BE or NTE4066B, and those are available. However--be sure to consult an expert about this chip substitution. If it's the wrong chip to be used on this board, it might cause problems or damage.

I shorted the back of the board out on the metallic cardboard in the backbox. It shorted around H3 and H4. I have replaced a few ICs around that area in the hope that the damage was confined to those ICs but it is looking like there is obviously damage further up and down the line.

In that case, every chip could be suspect.

Test all the 7400 series chips for shorts by putting your multimeter into diode mode, putting the red lead on the Vcc/5v pin, and the black lead to each one of the other legs. If it buzzes, then the chip has a short.

It's also possible that the CPU chip itself is toast. Check the manual and use a logic probe to determine if the reset signal is being sent.

After that...doing a shotgun replacement of all the chips could cause more damage than solve withe the removal of those chips. Not something I would be particularly keen on doing with a board that was basically unobtainable.

So, the next step would be to consult someone who is familiar with these boards, and/or send it out for repair. Most repair guys don't like working on boards that have already had work done on them, since they also have to redo the repairs to make sure those weren't also causing problems.

#11 4 years ago

I almost forgot--there is also the Leon test ROM with some additional information:

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leon_Borre_Atari_Second_Generation_Repair

However, I'm not sure how helpful it will be depending on which chips on the board are malfunctioning.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 109.99
$ 289.00
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 6,200.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 37.50
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,500.00
$ 26.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 689.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside