DSC_1588.JPG
DSC_1595.JPG
DSC_1593.JPG
DSC_1587.JPG
DSC_1580.JPG
DSC_1584.jpg
DSC_1581.JPG
WP_000079.jpg
There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago

Next are some Punisher posters that would look great next to your Avengers, is he on the pinball? These are printed on nice cardstock and have been UV coated so have a real slick shine to them. They are also a little curled from the UV process but will hang or frame great. 24"X36"

Asking 5$ each (I have four left)

DSC_1593.JPGDSC_1593.JPG

#53 10 years ago

Lastly feel free to make an offer on the display I blew up. Maybe you can save the glass or use it for parts? Just don't plug it in! Speaker cover NFS.

Make offer

DSC_1595.JPGDSC_1595.JPG

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

First up is my used copy of the pinball book

Dibs. PM sent.

#55 10 years ago

Pinball book spoken for, Thanks Zippy!

Everyone else, go back a page. I am selling a couple of things to raise money for a new LED display.

#56 10 years ago

I'll go for the decals. I don't have an F-14 yet, but like the cold war humor in the "Jagov". I'll stick it on the back of my desk using the existing thumb tack hole.

#57 10 years ago

Ill help you out steve and take an avengers alliance poster for my garage.

I'll PM you to find out the deets.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

I'll go for the decals. I don't have an F-14 yet, but like the cold war humor in the "Jagov". I'll stick it on the back of my desk using the existing thumb tack hole.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Ill help you out steve and take an Avengers alliance poster for my garage.

I'll PM you to find out the deets.

You got 'em! Thanks for the support!

#59 10 years ago

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Steve.
Glad to know it wasn't completely fried.
It's not a good feeling to have a F-14 down. I truly missed mine when in was toes up for two months.

#60 10 years ago

Thanks to Pinwillie, Wolfmarsh, Zippydapinhead, Ball_less1, for your purchases. I will be sending stuff out on Monday. I am kinda suprised no one wants the Pacific Pinball Expo posters, I guess not a lot of local guys have looked in this thread.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

Glad to know it wasn't completely fried.

I take a lot of consolation in that fact, I would rather spend 200 and know what I am fixing rather than have the whole machine down and have no idea what to do.

#62 10 years ago

Only two PPE posters left now, thanks Tamoore!

#63 10 years ago

yeah, really regretting that stupid light up shooter rod, feel like throwing it in the river!

Dont regret the shooter rod they are really cool. Stuff happens it will just make you a better tech in the future. You will be more careful next time. Chin up

#64 10 years ago

Can you post a pic of the infamous shooter rod? What color is it?

#65 10 years ago

Can you post a pic of the infamous shooter rod? What color is it?

Here's a pic of the infamous blue shooter
I bought it before the garage sale, Steve never wants to see this thing again

DSC_1588.JPGDSC_1588.JPG

#66 10 years ago

Dang, sure looks innocent enough.....
Who knew?

#67 10 years ago

Plugging in with off by one -- shorted 5V to 12V and +HV to -HV. Looks like one of the HV regulators is blown. With a little luck, might get by with just replacing the one bad regulator.

#68 10 years ago

To quote Maxwell Smart, "Missed it by this much".

#69 10 years ago

Shooter rods can be fun...but they can also be dahhheadly.
LEMMESHOWYASUMPTHIN'.

FMB.jpgFMB.jpg

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

You will be more careful next time. Chin up

You can bet that! I will be placing an order with GPE and ordering about 50 keys, I am going to go through every connector with machine OFF! and make damn sure every one is keyed correctly.

Quoted from pinwillie:

Yep, at this point I need the money for a new display more than I need a glowing blue reminder of my stupidity.

I am not swearing off mods forever though. I have all the parts on the way for light up flipper buttons for F-14, I already know how to do those.

Quoted from G-P-E:

Plugging in with off by one -- shorted 5V to 12V and +HV to -HV. Looks like one of the HV regulators is blown. With a little luck, might get by with just replacing the one bad regulator.

Is that what I blew in the third pic back in the beginning of this thread? With all the smoke, burning smell, and sparks I just cant see how I did not kill those displays.

#71 10 years ago

Only 1 PPE poster left. You guys have really helped out, I pretty much have enough for the LED display now! Thanks so much! I am going out for the day and am going to close the garage sale when I get home, so if you want the last poster speak up.

#72 10 years ago

I'll take the last poster! That's the show where I got the "bug" -- All thanks to Pinwillie and his Taxi and Diner...

I'll need to frame it and put it up in the game room.
-mof

#73 10 years ago

Is that what I blew in the third pic back in the beginning of this thread? With all the smoke, burning smell, and sparks I just cant see how I did not kill those displays.

That is one of the two HV regulators that is toasted. Not sure which as Jim doesn't have schematics posted for that board.
You threw a short directly across the two regulators - output of positive HV regulator to output of negative HV regulator. May have taken out both positive and negative regulators but only one shows physical damage. I think the regulators took the full bore and didn't send the short to the displays. I would replace both, for the cost of two regulators (less than $2 in parts) - it may be well worth replacing them two and trying it again but without the misaligned connection this time. Worst that can happen is it won't work...

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Not sure which as Jim doesn't have schematics posted for that board.

Is this it Ed?
http://rottendog.us/WPD011A-2.pdf

#75 10 years ago

Last poster spoken for, garage sale is done and is a success. Thank you all very much for the kind words and support.

I think i may repair the board first and see what happens, i need to place an order with GPE anyway for keys so might as well, hey is the person posting as G-P-E Ed from great plains? I guess i can't screw up the board more than it is already, the positive HV regulator is the toasted component in the third pic of the thread correct? Which is the negative HV regulator?

Also, if i did end up going with LED displays would those need the positive HV regulator and negative HV regulators fixed? I don't know much but everyone says I don't, mostly nervous that I will kill a 200$ LED display so the more times I hear I don't need those the better I feel.

#76 10 years ago

Yes, that's Ed from GPE. Replacing those regulators and trying with the original displays is a great idea, just be sure you remove the HV fuse (the one you replaced) if you do the LED displays. Be prepared to see more sparks and smoke though if that display board got shorted. You probably won't hurt anything that hasn't already been damaged though.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#77 10 years ago

Thank you Ed and Borygard.

So U4 is what is visibly damaged on my powerboard, is that the positive HV regulator? looks like I replace with a LM337?

Which one is the negative? Is it U1 or U6?

#78 10 years ago

I think i may repair the board first and see what happens, i need to place an order with GPE anyway for keys so might as well, hey is the person posting as G-P-E Ed from great plains? I guess i can't screw up the board more than it is already, the positive HV regulator is the toasted component in the third pic of the thread correct? Which is the negative HV regulator?

Yup, that's me.

Check your actual board for final part numbers in case they are different from the schematics!!! The schematics say the negative HV regulator (burned one) would be an LM337T and the positive HV regulator would be an LM317AHVT.

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Be prepared to see more sparks and smoke though if that display board got shorted.

Will the regulators get fried again?

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Yup, that's me.

Check your actual board for final part numbers in case they are different from the schematics!!! The schematics say the negative HV regulator (burned one) would be an LM337T and the positive HV regulator would be an LM317AHVT.

Awesome I just checked and U4 is LM337, and U1 is LM317 (there were no letters after them, does that make a difference?) I will be placing an order later. Thanks so much, I always recommend GPE for anything electronic.

#81 10 years ago

According to WPD011A schematics (if this matches yours) --
U1 is positive HV regulator
U4 is negative HV regulator
U6 is 12V regulator

With the way the board is designed - a rather radical failure of components is possible if the display is shorted. But, it still may be worth the $2 in parts and the possibility of this happening to determine if the display is bad. New displays, as you have found, cost a heck of a lot more.

#82 10 years ago

Awesome I just checked and U4 is LM337, and U1 is LM317 (there were no letters after them, does that make a difference?) I will be placing an order later. Thanks so much, I always recommend GPE for anything electronic.

There probably is an "AHV" somewhere on the 317 somewhere. If not, I would be rather surprised.
The "T" suffix is implied and is often not marked. This simply means a TO-220 type package which is what is used on that board.

#83 10 years ago

Will the regulators get fried again?

Yes, exactly.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#84 10 years ago

Yes, exactly.

I will order two of each then, if it blows them again I will have back ups.

Last question before I place my GPE order, which keys fit these connectors? I dont want this to happen again.

Keying Plug, 0.156" Large, Keying Plug, 0.156" Small, Keying Plug, 0.1"

WP_000083.jpgWP_000083.jpg

#85 10 years ago

Ok, parts are ordered from GPE, I will report back when I get them and put em in.

Also, if anyone that bought anything from my garage sale happens to be a WEEN fan let me know, I will throw in something extra.

#86 10 years ago

I have sent out stuff for Zippydapinhead, wolfmarsh, and ball_less1, if you do not see it in 3-5 days please let me know, I packed them all as safely as possible but let me know if anything gets damaged so we can work it out.

All PPE posters going out tomorrow.

Thanks again.

#87 10 years ago

PPE posters delayed one more day, sorry about that

Does anyone have any opinions on xpin Led displays vs Rotten dog LED displays? The Rottendog is about 50 bucks cheaper, but form what I could find online a handful of people were unhappy with them due to voltage draw. Any opinions on here?

#88 10 years ago

XPin or PinScore is the way to go IMHO for the reasons you list and for adjustable brightness. Also, they look much closer to original plasma displays than Rottendog, on and off.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#89 10 years ago

I have a pinscore red, I love it. 5min install. The red is more $ but I've read great things about the orange.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

XPin or PinScore is the way to go IMHO for the reasons you list and for adjustable brightness. Also, they look much closer to original plasma displays than Rottendog, on and off.

Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I have a pinscore red, I love it. 5min install. The red is more $ but I've read great things about the orange.

Thanks for the opinions. The "practical" side of me says to save the money but I am fighting it and think I will spend the extra 50$ for what people seem to have a better opinion of. The red looks cool, I would totally go for the blue but that one is WAY more expensive. I dont understand that at all, the materials cost can't be that much greater.

#91 10 years ago

Hey Practical - got the book today, thanks!
"It's a coffee table book about pinball on a pinball coffee table"

ctb.jpgctb.jpg

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

I ordered the pinscore displays a year and a half ago for my space Shuttle and they work and look fantastic!
However I would now order from X-Pin as He is the original designer and manufacturer of the pinscore replacement displays. seems He and Marco got into a court case.
So again, I'd go with X-Pin and support the Designer of these replacement displays.

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

However I would now order from X-Pin as He is the original designer and manufacturer of the pinscore replacement displays. seems He and Marco got into a court case.
So again, I'd go with X-Pin and support the Designer of these replacement displays.

Thanks for the info! I heard a little bit about that on the spooky pinball podcast. I am still waiting for the parts from GPE to see if I can fix my board but if that does not work I am going to go the Xpin route.

Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Hey Practical - got the book today, thanks!
"It's a coffee table book about pinball on a pinball coffee table"

Woah, how meta! Looks good, I forgot about that coffee table you made, so jealous, looks great!

#94 10 years ago

Steve, I got a pm from another member that's been reading this thread. He asked if I could post some pics of the red display. I figured I'd just post them here. 1st with room lights on, 2nd with lights off.

I'd also like to see pics of the blue display if anyone reading this has pics.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#95 10 years ago

This is definitely a case where photos don't do justice. In the photos they really don't look much different than the original orange displays. In person though, these are very red, nice and bright and look great.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#97 10 years ago

I have an EATPM with the original display, and a BBBB sitting right next to it with an XPIN red display. I'll post a shot in a bit of them side by side so you get a better contrast.

#98 10 years ago

Just now seeing this thread, hate this happened to you Steve. If you do go the LED route, look at K's Arcade. They have great prices on XPin's and ship fast, easy to deal with. I've ordered two LEDs from them, one alpha numeric and one DMD. Had great experiences on both, and they usually seem to be the cheapest option as well.

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

Just now seeing this thread, hate this happened to you Steve. If you do go the LED route, look at K's Arcade. They have great prices on XPin's and ship fast, easy to deal with. I've ordered two LEDs from them, one alpha numeric and one DMD. Had great experiences on both, and they usually seem to be the cheapest option as well.

Thanks for the heads up! The base orange color is comparable pricewise to others, but they do have the red for only 30$ more which is less than I have seen elsewhere. Very tempting, and I had never heard of K's Arcade so thank you again!

#100 10 years ago

Camera does not do it much justice, but here it is...

DSC00979.JPGDSC00979.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-killed-my-f-14-tomcat-tech-help/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.