IMG_6563 (resized).JPG
IMG_6555 (resized).JPG
IMG_6556 (resized).JPG
IMG_6554 (resized).JPG
IMG_6126 (resized).JPG
IMG_6124 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

Hey Guys, Gals,

Last Spring I acquired a Gottlieb Subway that played but needed work. Cosmetic as well as Playfield work. The game played OK, however the cabinet was poorly pained over with some weird design and lots of rust and stuff everywhere. So here I am documenting what I have done so far. This will be a ongoing documentation thread. so here we go..

here is the cabinet taken apart. as you can see, this paint job is really awful.
IMG_6199 (resized).JPGIMG_6199 (resized).JPGIMG_6161 (resized).JPGIMG_6161 (resized).JPGIMG_6160 (resized).JPGIMG_6160 (resized).JPG

the back of the cabinet has some bad warping as you can see. but nothing that couldn't be fixed.
IMG_6164 (resized).JPGIMG_6164 (resized).JPG

stripped and bondo time.. starting to look better.
IMG_6168 (resized).JPGIMG_6168 (resized).JPG

IMG_6169 (resized).JPGIMG_6169 (resized).JPG

got the back fixed up too..
IMG_6166 (resized).JPGIMG_6166 (resized).JPG

primed and painted with base coat.
IMG_6202 (resized).JPGIMG_6202 (resized).JPG
IMG_6208 (resized).JPGIMG_6208 (resized).JPGIMG_6209 (resized).JPGIMG_6209 (resized).JPGIMG_6210 (resized).JPGIMG_6210 (resized).JPGIMG_6213 (resized).JPGIMG_6213 (resized).JPG

My buddy Wade lent me his stencils.. cabinet is now done.
IMG_6236 (resized).JPGIMG_6236 (resized).JPG
IMG_6239 (resized).JPGIMG_6239 (resized).JPGIMG_6241 (resized).JPGIMG_6241 (resized).JPGIMG_6244 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_6244 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_6252 (resized).JPGIMG_6252 (resized).JPGIMG_6249 (resized).JPGIMG_6249 (resized).JPG

Started on the bottom board.. thought I would sand it, paint it and clear coat it just for that extra special touch..
IMG_6260 (resized).JPGIMG_6260 (resized).JPG

IMG_6261 (resized).JPGIMG_6261 (resized).JPGIMG_6262 (resized).JPGIMG_6262 (resized).JPGIMG_6263 (resized).JPGIMG_6263 (resized).JPG

still need to do lots more work, have new coin door and coin entrance plate, all the bits and pieces need to get polished and put back, then I need to start taking apart the score reels and cleaning them, as well as new light sockets in the head. etc.. stay tuned..

#2 4 years ago

Great start it looks good.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

Great start it looks good.

thank you. its been a slow process.. the winter really slowed me down since its really risky to paint when it gets too cold. even California weather is a bit on the too cold side.. ive ran into problems before with paint peeling and such when the weather is not just right..

#4 4 years ago

Nice work! Subway is a great EM and I look forward to seeing more pics when your restoration is completed.

Thanks for sharing!

4 weeks later
#6 4 years ago

Just a quick update as work slowly continues on my Subway. I got the head on finally and all internal organs have now been transplanted back inside the cabinet. I replaced every light socket and wiring in the backbox as they were all corroded and not reliable. I also cleaned all the relays and score reels in the backbox as well. In addition, all the remaining hardware in the cabinet is completed.

New legs, coin Door and coin receiver plate were in order. I was debating on replacing the siderails as the ones that came with the machine were in pretty rough shape and no matter how I tried I could not get them quite as nice as I would have liked. I called around and found a metal polishing shop down in the ghetto that would clean them up for a mere 25 bucks. I can honesty say they look really good now.

After I put it all back together I was having a issue with the D relay not completing the bank reset function, even though the score reels would zero out and everything else seemed fine. After pouring over the schematics for quite awhile I finally found the culprit (by using alligator clips and the process of elimination) to be the tens reel runout switch not making good contact. This took me a better part of the day but in the end it proves that I am getting better at reading and utilizing the schematics with every machine restore I do.

The backglass is actually in really good shape, the only noticeable issues are the white and black outline around the score window. Im going to leave it as is for now as its just not that bad and really only a trained eye would hone in on it.

The only thing left is to put the play field back on. Currently it is out being restored and cleared by a professional as this is just way beyond my artistic ability. Once I receive it back I will put some before and after pics up to show the difference.
IMG_6317 (resized).JPGIMG_6317 (resized).JPGIMG_6318 (resized).JPGIMG_6318 (resized).JPGIMG_6319 (resized).JPGIMG_6319 (resized).JPGIMG_6321 (resized).JPGIMG_6321 (resized).JPGIMG_6322 (resized).JPGIMG_6322 (resized).JPGIMG_6323 (resized).JPGIMG_6323 (resized).JPG

#7 4 years ago

The cabinet looks great.

#8 4 years ago

The cabinet looks great.

thank you. It is certainly a process thats for sure.. ill post more pics as i install the PF

2 months later
#9 3 years ago

Just wanted to give you a update on where I stand with this.. I received my PF back from being restored. It was painted, leveled and cleared. It actually came out amazing! I couldn't be happier with it. IMG_6530 (resized).JPGIMG_6530 (resized).JPGIMG_6535 (resized).JPGIMG_6535 (resized).JPGIMG_6537 (resized).JPGIMG_6537 (resized).JPG

They even painted the bottom of the PF. IMG_6543 (resized).JPGIMG_6543 (resized).JPG
Now to start work on getting the everything reinstalled. IMG_6544 (resized).JPGIMG_6544 (resized).JPGIMG_6545 (resized).JPGIMG_6545 (resized).JPG

Most of the work on the underside of the pf is complete except for pop bumpers and flippers. I need to order a few parts on Monday to get those completed. Here is the completed work so far.. New posts, roll over guides, rubbers, Lanterns, etc. The plastics are actually original but I think they look good for their age. Repainted Apron with a Pinball Rescue decal. Upper arch is repainted as well. IMG_6560 (resized).JPGIMG_6560 (resized).JPGIMG_6562 (resized).JPGIMG_6562 (resized).JPGIMG_6563 (resized).JPGIMG_6563 (resized).JPGIMG_6568 (resized).JPGIMG_6568 (resized).JPG

Thats it for now. I should have my parts I need to complete the work by next week. I will update when completed.

#10 3 years ago

Wow that looks great.

#11 3 years ago

All very nice *except* what was the idea of red and blue on the interior boards? Good job with the stencils - there always was a fair amount of edge feathering on the original cabs. So your stencil lines are slightly blurred in spots, which is great. However, Subway being a 60's Gottlieb design had webbing and not speckled finish on the base coat, ... so it probably should have been webbed if I have that right.

#12 3 years ago

That's gonna be sweet!

Such a fun game, too. I have access to a recently restored example to play myself, last time I was there I had it up to 8 or 9 balls at one point and was able to more than double the previous high score! (Written on the glass with a grease pencil, like God intended!)

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverWings:

All very nice *except* what was the idea of red and blue on the interior boards? Good job with the stencils - there always was a fair amount of edge feathering on the original cabs. So your stencil lines are slightly blurred in spots, which is great. However, Subway being a 60's Gottlieb design had webbing and not speckled finish on the base coat, ... so it probably should have been webbed if I have that right.

This game is for myself and my family to enjoy. I have no intention of selling it. Especially as a factory replicated restore. To me the speckle is something that I feel looks really nice and is easy to replicate at home. I have never seen anyone truly able to replicate factory webbing the way it came from the factory, and to be honest I really dont like the look of the webbing.

Also, the Red and blue boards were just something that I thought added pizzazz to the look of the machine, and I like it. Thats really about all this is for that. Thanks for the kudos on the paint. I borrowed the stencils from a friend who already had them cut.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

That's gonna be sweet!
Such a fun game, too. I have access to a recently restored example to play myself, last time I was there I had it up to 8 or 9 balls at one point and was able to more than double the previous high score! (Written on the glass with a grease pencil, like God intended!)

Thanks.. yes its also very unforgiving as well. the gap between the flippers is pretty big..

#15 3 years ago

Great work, you must be very happy with the progress so far. The playfield looks amazing, who did the work for you?

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Great work, you must be very happy with the progress so far. The playfield looks amazing, who did the work for you?

Thanks. The PF was restored by Tim Crowley at Las Vegas Playfields.

http://www.lasvegasplayfields.com

#17 3 years ago

Do you have a before picture of the playfield?

#18 3 years ago

As an easy finishing touch you should consider polishing your shooter and ball lift rods. It takes about ten minutes each and makes a huge difference. The rods on my Cross Town were worse than yours and this is how they came out.

D0F9ED0B-D5BE-458B-B17D-211287BBCEF0 (resized).jpegD0F9ED0B-D5BE-458B-B17D-211287BBCEF0 (resized).jpeg

#19 3 years ago

As an easy finishing touch you should consider polishing your shooter and ball lift rods. It takes about ten minutes each and makes a huge difference. The rods on my Cross Town were worse than yours and this is how they came out.
[quoted image]

they look great. I will def consider it. whats the best way to polish them?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

they look great. I will def consider it. whats the best way to polish them?

Put the rod in your drill and spin it while using progressively finer sand paper to polish it. I finish with Mother’s Mag and aluminum polish. The metal is pretty soft so it won’t take long.

#21 3 years ago

Do you have a before picture of the playfield?

yes here you go.. Before Pics IMG_6110 (resized).JPGIMG_6110 (resized).JPG
IMG_6112 (resized).JPGIMG_6112 (resized).JPGIMG_6113 (resized).JPGIMG_6113 (resized).JPGIMG_6114 (resized).JPGIMG_6114 (resized).JPGIMG_6116 (resized).JPGIMG_6116 (resized).JPGIMG_6117 (resized).JPGIMG_6117 (resized).JPGIMG_6119 (resized).JPGIMG_6119 (resized).JPGIMG_6120 (resized).JPGIMG_6120 (resized).JPGIMG_6121 (resized).JPGIMG_6121 (resized).JPGIMG_6122 (resized).JPGIMG_6122 (resized).JPGIMG_6123 (resized).JPGIMG_6123 (resized).JPGIMG_6124 (resized).JPGIMG_6124 (resized).JPGIMG_6126 (resized).JPGIMG_6126 (resized).JPG
After Pics IMG_6555 (resized).JPGIMG_6555 (resized).JPGIMG_6556 (resized).JPGIMG_6556 (resized).JPGIMG_6563 (resized).JPGIMG_6563 (resized).JPGIMG_6564 (resized).JPGIMG_6564 (resized).JPGIMG_E6494 (resized).JPGIMG_E6494 (resized).JPGIMG_E6496 (resized).JPGIMG_E6496 (resized).JPG

IMG_6554 (resized).JPGIMG_6554 (resized).JPG
#22 3 years ago

Put the rod in your drill and spin it while using progressively finer sand paper to polish it. I finish with Mother’s Mag and aluminum polish. The metal is pretty soft so it won’t take long.

OK thanks I will do that!

#23 3 years ago

You had a pretty good playfield to start with, but wow what a difference. He did a great job. I played this game on several occasions at the Silverball in Delray Beach. Like most of their games it needed some work, but it was fun enough for me to play for hours. Yours will be perfect and I imagine much more fun than theirs. Keep up the great work. You’re going to love the result. It’s a very fun game.

#24 3 years ago

the best part about it, is that you wont' have cupped inserts anymore. Making gameplay 100% better. It's even more reason to have it restored even more than just the art aspect.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the best part about it, is that you wont' have cupped inserts anymore. Making gameplay 100% better. It's even more reason to have it restored even more than just the art aspect.

My first game was a Space Mission. It was fully working with a decent playfield, but the inserts were severely cupped. The ball would change course after going over them. To make matters worse the ball got stuck in a couple of them on a regular basis. That got me to do my first restore that was basically just touching up the Key lines, filling the inserts and clear coating. I’ve done two machines since with complete repaint along with clear coating. I don’t know how anyone can handle the cupped inserts. I wasn’t able to. This Subway will be a joy to play.

#26 3 years ago

when I actually get time to restore a game for myself, I usually do it for curing cupped inserts. It's why my alien poker is restored.

#27 3 years ago

I think the game turned out great! I do have a question. Not a criticism at all but I'm just curious after going to all the trouble you did, with the cabinet repaint etc. even doing the bottom board and other various boards inside, why not refinish the inside of the cab completely? Seems you were so close, having it totally torn down, I would think it wouldn't have been much more to give the full inside a spray of fresh paint? Again, it looks great, overall great job!

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Chisel:

I think the game turned out great! I do have a question. Not a criticism at all but I'm just curious after going to all the trouble you did, with the cabinet repaint etc. even doing the bottom board and other various boards inside, why not refinish the inside of the cab completely? Seems you were so close, having it totally torn down, I would think it wouldn't have been much more to give the full inside a spray of fresh paint? Again, it looks great, overall great job!

Good question. I think the reason was that I was running low on paint and I didn't think it was important enough.. but I did think about doing it at the time.. Thanks fore the Kudos though

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Exactly

#30 3 years ago

You had a pretty good playfield to start with, but wow what a difference. He did a great job. I played this game on several occasions at the Silverball in Delray Beach. Like most of their games it needed some work, but it was fun enough for me to play for hours. Yours will be perfect and I imagine much more fun than theirs. Keep up the great work. You’re going to love the result. It’s a very fun game.

The before pics of the PF I posted was actually after I replaced all the inserts myself. The original inserts were very very cupped and almost unplayable. After I removed the old inserts and replaced them I caused so many more paint and chipping issues that I just decided to send it to Tim to get restored properly. I think my forte lies in cabinetry and stuff like that, painting and fine detail work are not my specialty at all. I will leave that to the pros.. And im glad I did because I think he did a great job as well..

#31 3 years ago

I just played my Cross Town and can recommend the orange dot coils for the flippers. They seem to be the perfect strength.

#32 3 years ago

I just played my Cross Town and can recommend the orange dot coils for the flippers. They seem to be the perfect strength.

Thanks.. I have a set of yellow dots going in.. hopefully they wont be too much.. we will see..)

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

Thanks.. I have a set of yellow dots going in.. hopefully they wont be too much.. we will see..)

I was going to go with the yellow dots, but Steve Young talked me out of them. I’ll be interested in what you think. Let me know.

#35 3 years ago

I was going to go with the yellow dots, but Steve Young talked me out of them. I’ll be interested in what you think. Let me know.

I dont think the yellows will be too much. I actually had them in before I dissembled the PF for the restore and I thought they were good, made the game a little more peppy but not overly snappy. . . I will tell you that I did put yellow dots in the pop bumpers and I immediately took them out as the game played way to fast for its age. I went back to stock coils on the pops. .

2 weeks later
#37 3 years ago

Yes for sure. Thanks for reminding me.. well I can say now that my Subway is 100% complete and it is working 100% with the last issue on the tilt just nailed down thanks to @markg. So without further adieu here it is in all its glory..IMG_6693 (resized).JPGIMG_6693 (resized).JPG

IMG_6694 (resized).JPGIMG_6694 (resized).JPG I think I mentioned this in another post but the PF was restored by Tim Crowley at Las Vegas Playfields.. Tim was absolutely fantastic to work with. The job took about 5 months. Tim was very communicative and involved me with some color matching on the white areas and the finish which I chose gloss over the matte. I think the PF came out fantastic and I am extremely happy with it. For anyone looking to have a PF restored and cleared give him a call. IMG_6686 (resized).JPGIMG_6686 (resized).JPGIMG_6688 (resized).JPGIMG_6688 (resized).JPGIMG_6644 (resized).JPGIMG_6644 (resized).JPG All pop bumper plastics, rollover guides etc on the PF are new as well as all new rubbers and posts. The plastics themselves are origonal as they are in pretty decent shape.
and as she sits in my current line up.. IMG_6640 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_6640 (1) (resized).JPG This is my first 60s era machine and I have to say that there is something amazing about the way the game plays. Just a little slower, the bell sound as opposed to the chimes, those 2 inch flippers, etc. I really like it a lot and it just has a different feel than the current 70s era machines I have along side it. So this is it, a well finished Subway that I absolutely love to play. BTW the machine is setup to take dimes, no free plays here. ! I love the Add a Ball feature as well. I will definitely be looking to add a few more add a balls to my lineup when I have some more time.. Now to finish that damn Peppy restore!!!

IMG_6677 (resized).JPGIMG_6677 (resized).JPG

#38 3 years ago

Adieu?

#39 3 years ago

ahh.. you got me.. lets try that again..

"Without further ado.." This should be the correct term.)

#40 3 years ago

Very nice job. It looks like a new machine. Did you have a coin mechanism or does someone sell them? How do you like the yellow dot coil on the flippers?

#41 3 years ago

Very nice job. It looks like a new machine. Did you have a coin mechanism or does someone sell them? How do you like the yellow dot coil on the flippers?

thanks.. so regarding the coin mech, a very kind pinsider sent me a spare saddle.. I had a spare 10c coin mech. regarding the yellowdots, i feel like they work perfectly. I have the machine setup steep and i have a little more return spring tension on the flippers, so i think i have them dialed in for the perfect balance. I will add a video of the machine playing but so far so good.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

thanks.. so regarding the coin mech, a very kind pinsider sent me a spare saddle.. I had a spare 10c coin mech. regarding the yellowdots, i feel like they work perfectly. I have the machine setup steep and i have a little more return spring tension on the flippers, so i think i have them dialed in for the perfect balance. I will add a video of the machine playing but so far so good.

Looking forward to the video.

#43 3 years ago

Magnificent!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-just-took-a-subway-to-restore-city?hl=silverwings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.