(Topic ID: 24041)

I just improved my tspp in a change that took 10 seconds.

By DougPiranha

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Spudgunman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Shine_Supressors_001.jpg
Shine_Supressors_002.jpg
IMG_1024.JPG
IMG_1023.JPG
#1 11 years ago

My tspp backglass is so bright that you can barely see the playfield. I unplugged the light and wow I can actually see the playfield way better.

Guess I better pony up for some non reflective glass.

#2 11 years ago

nah...the little plastic DMD blinds will help a bunch...you can make them yourself.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from Wickedquickss:

nah...the little plastic DMD blinds will help a bunch...you can make them yourself

I wondered if that would help. I will mock one up today but, its the whole backglass that I can see.

#4 11 years ago

For the backglass, use a single piece of gorilla tape or duct tape. Put it on the front of the bulb but don't wrap it all around. The light will shine at the boards. It will dim the bulb but it will still be kit and glare will be gone.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

For the backglass, use a single piece of gorilla tape or duct tape. Put it on the front of the bulb but don't wrap it all around. The light will shine at the boards. It will dim the bulb but it will still be kit and glare will be gone

ooh trying that too. I have to quit reading and go try these!

#6 11 years ago

http://www.pinballpal.com/warming/

They're designed more for cosmetics, but also reduce glare. My TSPP (second owner) came with one.

#7 11 years ago

I thought pinballpal was the guy that is sick...do not order from there if so...

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I thought pinballpal was the guy that is sick...do not order from there if so...

???

#9 11 years ago

Mark Clayton I think his name is, was VERY ill. If you order from that site, you will probably get refunded or never get your parts...just a word of warning...

#10 11 years ago

I have a DMD plastic glare guard on mine. Funny I never really noticed that my TSPP has terrible glare...not enough to make me wanna change anything anyhow...odd

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Mark Clayton I think his name is, was VERY ill.

Thats very unfortunate, hope the guy can make a full recovery

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I have a DMD plastic glare guard on mine. Funny I never really noticed that my TSPP has terrible glare...not enough to make me wanna change anything anyhow...odd

I think different people tend to focus their eyes differently. I can see the glare of TSPP's backglass (or any game, really) if I make it a point to focus on the reflection...but I can easily shift my focus to the playfield and I don't notice the glare at all. Maybe some people have a harder time 'ignoring' the glare?

#13 11 years ago

I think the amount of ambient light in the room drastically impacts this also.

#14 11 years ago

I take the the bulb out in the newer sterns. I cant help but look at it all the time.

#15 11 years ago

Pics of both

IMG_1023.JPGIMG_1023.JPG IMG_1024.JPGIMG_1024.JPG

#16 11 years ago

Does anyone make a traditional back box setup for newer stern's?

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Does anyone make a traditional back box setup for newer stern's?

There was a detailed how-to on adding a standard lamp board to TSPP years back. You would need to search RGP for it. I've had an extra lamp board from a destroyed DESW cabinet I've been meaning to swap in one of these, umm, days... yeah, that's the ticket But yes it's been done and is certainly doable. The SW board did fit perfectly in the opening when I checked my game.

For now I've simply got two sheets of standard white printer paper rolled over the florescent tube. Really cut the glare. Mr 68's Glare Guard™ cut the dmd glare but not big enough to eliminate it from the backglass. With both I'm pretty good to go.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

There was a detailed how-to on adding a standard lamp board to TSPP years back. You would need to search RGP for it. I've had an extra lamp board from a destroyed DESW cabinet I've been meaning to swap in one of these, umm, days... yeah, that's the ticket But yes it's been done and is certainly doable. The SW board did fit perfectly in the opening when I checked my game.
For now I've simply got two sheets of standard white printer paper rolled over the florescent tube. Really cut the glare. Mr 68's Glare Guard™ cut the dmd glare but not big enough to eliminate it from the backglass. With both I'm pretty good to go.

No chance of fire with wrapping it?

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

This with all newer sterns or just the old white star ones? Dimensions the same? assume just center and drill for hinges? What powered the board? I tried searching google groups but its such a pia and something is wrong with the rgpa search function.

#20 11 years ago

i am going to have to try this too. i get tired of playing after one game because i can't follow the ball with the backglass glare.

#21 11 years ago

So weird that I don't find mine that bad, it doesn't seem worse than any of my Bally/Williams/DE games that I've ever had...guess I just don't notice it as much as others...

I play with zero lights on 98 percent of the time...

#22 11 years ago

I installed one of the LED panels in the TSPP backbox. I like it, but I really had hoped the controls would allow dimming or turning off the lights during play. Unfortunately, it just made the lights brighter with a bigger problem. I have 2 glare guards stacked to block some of it. I wish all the aftermarket LED panels had options to dim or cut the whole thing off. Seems like that option wouldn't be too hard to include.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from pflueeb:

No chance of fire with wrapping it?

Nah. I've had it on there for years. Fluorescents don't get that hot. Fahrenheit 451, remember?

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

This with all newer sterns or just the old white star ones?

I have absolutely no idea. TSPP is the only Stern I own at the moment.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

I tried searching google groups but its such a pia and something is wrong with the rgpa search function.

Here's the only thing I could find left. Apparently Tom has taken his page down or moved it
http://www.gameroom.be/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2834&start=0

#26 11 years ago

My tspp backglass is so bright that you can barely see the playfield. I unplugged the light and wow I can actually see the playfield way better.
Guess I better pony up for some non reflective glass.

The non reflective glass will do nothing for the glare off the BB or the DMD, TSPP seems to be one of the worst for this problem.
Here is what I did on my S-M and ELVIS, I added the backbox lighting kits to these and it made them almost unplayable the glare was so bad.
These eliminated 100% of the glare.

Shine_Supressors_002.jpgShine_Supressors_002.jpg

#27 11 years ago

Another pic from the player's perspective.

Shine_Supressors_001.jpgShine_Supressors_001.jpg

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Here is what I did on my S-M and ELVIS

Are those purchased or homemade? If you made them what did you use as the material?

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Are those purchased or homemade? If you made them what did you use as the material?

I made them, info is here.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jersey-jack-invisiglass-has-a-scratch-in-it

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

For now I've simply got two sheets of standard white printer paper rolled over the florescent tube.

Running this high-end mod on my TSPP too Cliff (with a Mr. 68 for the DMD)...the result looks pretty good to my eye.

#31 11 years ago

I unpluged the bulb in my TSPP within days of having it, now I can see the couch playfield

Well not so much the bulb, I remove the fuse/cap or whatever that silver thing is.

Every once in a while I pop it back in... a few days later its back out.

I want to install a FF "animated" backbox LED kit but I would feel silly dropping $150 to have glare. Mo pinball Mo problems, I will prolly get the LED backbox still tho as I'm a fool for mods.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I unpluged the bulb in my TSPP within days of having it, now I can see the couch playfield
Well not so much the bulb, I remove the fuse/cap or whatever that silver thing is.
Every once in a while I pop it back in... a few days later its back out.
I want to install a FF "animated" backbox LED kit but I would feel silly dropping $150 to have glare. Mo pinball Mo problems, I will prolly get the LED backbox still tho as I'm a fool for mods.

The couch seems to be the worst, I kept losing the ball in the glare on mine.
The silver thing is called a starter.

#33 11 years ago

they make the diffuser sleeves for florescent tubes. but day one I unplugged my starter coil. TSPP is the only stern I own.. likely the only ever. I plan on some day putting some lights behind the translight to provide soft illumination but no rush personally.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.95
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-just-improved-my-tspp-in-a-change-that-took-10-seconds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.