New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 51818)

I just got my electric bill....................

By o-din

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 229 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PPL rate.JPG
    20140912_162701.jpg
    20140912_162550.jpg
    PPL.JPG
    superbusinesscard.jpg
    20130412_081232.jpg
    DukePowerBill.jpg
    Capture.JPG
    DSCN1522.JPG
    image.jpg
    tumblr_ly5g6xs85C1qzmvmbo1_500.gif
    2.PNG
    coolballs.jpg
    Capture.PNG
    DSCN0130.JPG
    DSCN0310.JPG

There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I got about 2 dozen spotlight recessed ceiling (incandescent) type bulbs,
    in my finished basement (gameroom) and kitchen.
    I want to switch over to LED, but shopping around they ain't cheap.
    anywhere from $12-25 per bulb.
    Anyone know where i can buy in bulk for cheap, hopefully for <$10 per bulb?
    How long before you think the price will drop to $5 per bulb?

I often find deals on on LEDs at www.slickdeals.net . Most of the bulbs in my home are Osrams from a Lowe's deal last month. Think I paid about $2.50 for the 40 watt equivalents and ~$4 for the 60 watt equivalents. They are very nice bulbs even though I've never heard of the company. You can also find really good deals on ebay from people in highly subsidized areas of the country. They buy them and resell to us poor souls who are forced to use Duke Energy (Duke doesn't subsidize shi* in Florida).

#202 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

I feel like most of the solar install companies are a complete rip-off...
    (example: 40-50k for a system when it's only 15-20k in parts).

I'm seriously considering getting a new roof with Dow solar shingles if they qualify for my local power companies solar subsidy. Between that and the federal tax credit that ends in 2016, I could have a solar system and a new roof for only a few grand more than a traditional roof.

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Has anyone installed a solar system themselves? What hurdles did you experience?

I recently installed one with the help of a friend who had some experience with installing his own. Honestly, the permit process was the hardest part. The city had a 20 page plan review that had to be satisfied and a very "thorough" inspector. My installation was probably a bit easier than most since I did it on my detached garage, but the cost was 1/4 what it would have been with a professional company and I put in better equipment than they were selling. Feel free to PM me about it.

20140912_162550.jpg 20140912_162701.jpg
    #204 5 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

. My installation was probably a bit easier than most since I did it on my detached garage, but the cost was 1/4 what it would have been with a professional company and I put in better equipment than they were selling. Feel free to PM me about it.

How much electricity does those 24 panels generate?

#205 5 years ago

There's 12 panels there. 300W each for a system total of 3.6kW. I typically peak at about 2.5-2.9kWh on a sunny day. I've only had them since late Sept. so next summer will be new data.

#206 5 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

There's 12 panels there. 300W each for a system total of 3.6kW. I typically peak at about 2.5-2.9kWh on a sunny day. I've only had them since late Sept. so next summer will be new data.

Gotcha, i thought you did 12 on each side...foolish assumption

#207 5 years ago

Generally you want to install panels as close to South facing as you can for maximum production.

#208 5 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Generally you want to install panels as close to South facing as you can for maximum production.

I have thought about installing solar, but unfortunately much of my property is surrounded by 40-50ft trees shading most of my rooflines.

Quoted from mcluvin:

I often find deals on on LEDs at http://www.slickdeals.net .

thanks will check it out

#209 5 years ago

Every light bulb in my house is an old school incandescent. In fact I have quite a few stashed away. I bought them with the money I saved on my energy bill.

#210 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I got about 2 dozen spotlight recessed ceiling (incandescent) type bulbs,
    in my finished basement (gameroom) and kitchen.
    I want to switch over to LED, but shopping around they ain't cheap.
    anywhere from $12-25 per bulb.
    Anyone know where i can buy in bulk for cheap, hopefully for <$10 per bulb?
    How long before you think the price will drop to $5 per bulb?

Just picked these up,
    amazon.com link »
    Super bright and not to bad a price

#211 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Has anyone installed a solar system themselves? What hurdles did you experience?

and you are correct-

in the late 90's i set up my house in the arizona desert compleatly off grid for 5k- including a used field welder /generator for the work shops large power consumers. lived there 8 years and loved not haveing a regular power bill. in the 2000's solar parts became much more costly because solar was the cool thing to do, and many makers were bought up by bigger makers that seen the profits of the future.

biggest hurdles? sizing a proper batt bank so you dont cycle the batts to hard /shortening life.

working ac stuff directly on dc since ac/dc stuff is not that popular any more - inverters are costly and not real efficient best to cut them out of the loop when you can.

other pain was ammonia fridges.

#212 5 years ago

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/60-watt-equal-led-light-bulbs/

I have used SunSun bulbs the past 6 months and I am extremely happy.

#213 5 years ago

I like the people that say the bulb life is why they buy LED's. Our house had incandescent bulbs, 90% on dimmers. I have never, in 14 years, replaced any of our bulbs that are on a dimmer.

Chris

#214 5 years ago

If anyone is looking to pick up affordable and well made LED bulbs check out Home Depots sale on Cree LED's. 60w bulbs are $5 and 40w bulbs are $4. I bought a bunch of them and all work great.

#215 5 years ago

Cree are my favorite home LED bulb!

#216 5 years ago

270 this month. 440 last month. Insanity.

#217 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

I installed solar array myself 12.5Kw I got a quote for 4.9kw and I self-installed 12.5kw for less money.

I installed Enphase, M215 Microinverter I think they are good for DIY installs.

Here is the system output.
    http://www.pvoutput.org/aggregate.jsp?id=23064&sid=20945&v=0&t=m

The last eight months we have had 0 usage and we carried $386 worth of power forwarded to the winter to heat with. This also covers charging out Chevy Volt 2 – 2 ½ times a day about 17k EV miles a year.

Here are two good examples on Enphase installs
    http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/EnphasePV/Main.htm
    http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/DougEnphase/DougEnphase.htm

Maybe check out these guys.
    http://www.mothernaturesolar.com/

#218 5 years ago

$29.68 last month. Darn inflation!

#219 5 years ago

My bill makes me sick. I've converted all my bulbs to LED, but it's still high. I'm frugal with the AC, and generally don't think I use much ... But then there's the Jacuzzi. I'm convinced that MFer is seriously costing me $100+ alone every month. Sales guy told me $10/month ... Geez.

#220 5 years ago

The light output on those HD Cree bulbs is awful. They also have too many hot spots causing uneven distribution of light.

The old Philips L Prize was a fantastic piece of light bulb technology, but prohibitively expensive for many. One of the nicest A19 style LED bulbs I have used is made by Bulbrite. It has a couple of hot spots, but not nearly as many as the Cree bulb while emitting much more light.

Most of the models sold at HD and Lowes are on the lower end of LED technology so that the manufacturer can hit the mandated price points of these big box stores.

#221 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

The light output on those HD Cree bulbs is awful. They also have too many hot spots causing uneven distribution of light.

WOW, that is the exact opposite of my experience. We tried probably 30 different bulbs before out fitting the entire house. The Cree bulbs were the ONLY ones with an even close to natural lighting pattern, have zero hot spotting and great light distribution. After 4 months of evaluating different LEDs we opted to use them in the entire house.

#222 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

WOW, that is the exact opposite of my experience. We tried probably 30 different bulbs before out fitting the entire house.

lol - much free time have you?

Bulb burns out, I change with one in closet, and I don't think about bulbs again for another 6-12 months until another goes. Least fun thing ever...

#223 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

$29.68 last month. Darn inflation!

Your not flipping you meter upside down to reverse the reading.
    I know someone who did that,and no it wasnt me. We have those smart [tattletale] meters now.

#224 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

My bill makes me sick. I've converted all my bulbs to LED, but it's still high. I'm frugal with the AC, and generally don't think I use much ... But then there's the Jacuzzi. I'm convinced that MFer is seriously costing me $100+ alone every month. Sales guy told me $10/month ... Geez.

I really miss Florida Power. They showed your usage online in near real time. You could really nail down which devices were eating the power.

#225 5 years ago

My electric bill is usually the last thing I worry about, even though its $500+ usually, especially in the summer. I have a huge pool with heater and hot tub but my wife keeps the AC down at 70 while I'm gone.

That's almost like a bill I look forward to paying, on the other hand it's my Wife and three girls that crush me daily! I've given up the fight, its over, they have worn me down.

Has anybody tried one of those Google Nest thermostats? I'm thinking about getting one of those and remotely setting it to about 80 every time she runs it back down.

#226 5 years ago

Heres my rates.

PPL rate.JPG
    #227 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I really miss Florida Power. They showed your usage online in near real time. You could really nail down which devices were eating the power.

Very cool. Need to figure out how to gauge the draw on my hot tub. It's on a dedicated 60A circuit. Not like I can plug in one of those nifty line monitors for standard plug-ins...

#228 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Need to figure out how to gauge the draw on my hot tub. It's on a dedicated 60A circuit.

http://www.homepower.com/articles/home-efficiency/electricity/tracking-your-energy-use

#229 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Most of the models sold at HD and Lowes are on the lower end of LED technology so that the manufacturer can hit the mandated price points of these big box stores.

These are the ones I got from Lowe's last month. I'm totally pleased so far and got them cheap enough that if they don't last their expected lifetime, I'm not sweating it. I've had so many CFLs die a premature death, no way I'm spending more than $4 or $5 for any light bulb. Even at my price point, it wasn't exactly cheap to do a whole house swap.

http://www.cnet.com/products/osram-60w-replacement-led/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 199.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 69.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 22.00
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 6,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Customs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 29.00
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside