You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BE88908F-D8A1-425C-B461-D924B020A11B (resized).jpeg
5D53249D-EE3A-4480-A515-B89747596DFA (resized).jpeg
6AD3FD35-5A2E-4EB0-8395-5E2096BEBC76 (resized).jpeg
6120301A-9793-4D7C-B90D-7F4C9E1D9B36 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

I just got a non working ‘83 Atari Star Wars standup arcade in a trade, and was hoping for help diagnosing its issues.
I’m not much of an arcade guy, so bear with me
It’s the ampliphone monitor setup. The machine was complete minus the monitor, but the seller found a monitor to include in the trade, which I installed last night. The best I can tell, it is the correct monitor for the game. Can anyone tell me if that is indeed correct?
It powers up, marquee lights up, monitor is totally dark but has neck glow, but it seems to go directly into a test mode with 1 deeper sounding beep followed by 15 beeps. Then keeps repeating that pattern.
If anyone can other any guidance that would be fantastic!

6120301A-9793-4D7C-B90D-7F4C9E1D9B36 (resized).jpeg6120301A-9793-4D7C-B90D-7F4C9E1D9B36 (resized).jpeg
6AD3FD35-5A2E-4EB0-8395-5E2096BEBC76 (resized).jpeg6AD3FD35-5A2E-4EB0-8395-5E2096BEBC76 (resized).jpeg
5D53249D-EE3A-4480-A515-B89747596DFA (resized).jpeg5D53249D-EE3A-4480-A515-B89747596DFA (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

The Beep pattern is an error code. Atari's usually had a large paper sheet stapled to the inside of the back door showing Dipswitch settings and error codes. You may have to search the net to find it.

The amplifone looks about right but I haven't seen one in about 30 years! They made one for 19" and one for 25" for the Sit Down cabinets. As I recall, it was the HV unit that was different, or at least adjusted and sealed differently (HV Shutdown etc.).

I am sure you can find more/better info over at KLOV.

#3 6 years ago

Amplifone was the more desirable of the two that were put in those. They however need a bit more work in general. Nice find!

#4 6 years ago

It all looks right. I have one with an AMP in it.

But be warned:

It could prove very tricky to get the PCB working.

It could prove tricky to get the monitor working.

It could prove difficult to determine which one is failing. As of now, I can confirm the beeps are the board telling the operator that there is an error.

Amplifone's are great, once they are bulletproofed. Good luck

#5 6 years ago

I have used Chad at arcade cup in the past for repairs on amplifone monitors. He does really great work:

http://www.arcadecup.com/

If I remember correctly he charges about $185 to repair and bullet proof one of these.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

The Beep pattern is an error code. Atari's usually had a large paper sheet stapled to the inside of the back door showing Dipswitch settings and error codes. You may have to search the net to find it.
The amplifone looks about right but I haven't seen one in about 30 years! They made one for 19" and one for 25" for the Sit Down cabinets. As I recall, it was the HV unit that was different, or at least adjusted and sealed differently (HV Shutdown etc.).
I am sure you can find more/better info over at KLOV.

Yes I do have it on the back door, but it shows nothing regarding the beeps. I'll look online for a manual.

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Amplifone was the more desirable of the two that were put in those. They however need a bit more work in general. Nice find!

Yes, that's what I'm figuring a I read more about them. Thanks, I'm pretty excited!

Quoted from snyper2099:

It all looks right. But be warned:
It could prove very tricky to get the PCB working.
It could prove tricky to get the monitor working.
It could prove difficult to determine which one is failing. As of now, I can confirm the beeps are the board telling the operator that there is an error.

I was already starting to get scared from what I see online, you're not making it any better

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Cam:

I was already starting to get scared from what I see online, you're not making it any better

Well, I have spare boards if you can confirm anything has failed.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Well, I have a spare boards if you can confirm anything has failed.

Ok awesome! I'll see what I can get figured out...

#10 6 years ago

Haha, nice work!

Mine has 1 "boop" followed by 15 "beeps.
Does that mean "(1) RAM 2F/H on the CPU board (a 2Kx8 for the CPU)" has failed?

#11 6 years ago

Here's the info from the link:

A "beep" means the component tested OK.

A "boop" means the component failed the test.

There are 16 beeps followed by a pause. After the pause the pattern
repeats. The beeps correspond to the following:

1) RAM 2F/H on the CPU board (a 2Kx8 for the CPU)
2) RAM 5F on the CPU board (a 2Kx8 for the Matrix processor)
3) RAM 5H on the CPU board (a 2Kx8 for the Matrix processor)
4) RAM 3L on the AVG board (a 2Kx8 for vector RAM) ***
5) RAM 3M on the AVG board (a 2Kx8 for vector RAM)
6) RAM 4P on the AVG board (a 2Kx8 for vector RAM)
7) RAM 4L on the AVG board (a 2Kx8 for vector RAM)
8) RAM 4M on the AVG board (a 2Kx8 for vector RAM)
9) RAM 4P on the AVG board (a 2Kx8 for vector RAM)
10) NOVRAM 1E on the CPU board (a 2212 Xicor 256x4 NOVRAM)
11) EPROM 1F or 1M on the CPU board +++
12) EPROM 1 J/K on the CPU board
13) EPROM 1 K/L on the CPU board
14) EPROM 1F or 1M on the CPU board +++
15) EPROM 1 H/J on the CPU board (The daughtercard for ESB)
16) EPROM 1 L on the AVG board ***

#12 6 years ago

Did you say beep or boop?

BE88908F-D8A1-425C-B461-D924B020A11B (resized).jpegBE88908F-D8A1-425C-B461-D924B020A11B (resized).jpeg

#13 6 years ago

Not knowing what my next move should be, I pulled the CPU boards out, pressed down on the RAM 2F/H chip (because it was giving me a failed RAM 2F/H code on the CPU), then made sure everything on the board setup was securely plugged in and tried it again, still nothing worked.

So I put it back in test mode with the switch, but it won't enter test now. Anyone have any thoughts on why it won't?

And I noticed that the marquee and coin slot lights are super dim now, does that imply a voltage issue?

#14 6 years ago

See if you can see if one of the legs have snapped. They can be fragile. Verify voltages coming off the ar2 board. Every Atari I’ve worked on needed new caps and/or transistors. I would unplug the monitor and it’s boards just to be safe. Check the fuse block. When I had a flaky ar board I kept blowing f4 if I remember right.

#15 6 years ago

Thank you. Which legs do you mean, the one coming out of the board to the connectors?

Here’s my voltages on the AR2 board:
My 10.3 is 11.08
+12 is 11.92
-5 is 5.00
-22 is -23.70
+22 is 23.30
36 VAC is 18.02

While I was at it I tested a couple on the MPU:
+5v is 4.97
-5 is -5.18
10.3 is 11.19

#16 6 years ago

Oh sorry, on the ram chip. The legs of the ram chip you re seated. I’ve had an awful time lately snapping one if I look at it funny. My concern would be it broke and slid sideways making contact on a couple pins.

#17 6 years ago

And if I remember right the 36vac was measured on two lines. I gotta look at my roadblasters and figure out how I did it. It’ll be a tad diff since it’s a raster, but the ar boards have more similarities than differences.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Oh sorry, on the ram chip. The legs of the ram chip you re seated. I’ve had an awful time lately snapping one if I look at it funny. My concern would be it broke and slid sideways making contact on a couple pins.

Ok gotcha. I didn’t pull it out and reseat it, just pressed firmly to make sure it was seated.

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

And if I remember right the 36vac was measured on two lines. I gotta look at my roadblasters and figure out how I did it. It’ll be a tad diff since it’s a raster, but the ar boards have more similarities than differences.

Ok cool. I’ll see what I can find out online as well

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-just-got-a-non-working-%e2%80%9883-atari-star-wars-standup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.